• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
K instead of always talking about how trash Bowser is, I want to share my own tier list based on my opinion on the meta as of know:

http://smashboards.com/tiers/#3,10,...#13,14,35,39.F#12,9,25.G#1.0,9,4,2,10,5,11,12

Ik I might get a lot of flaming, but like I always say, my opinion does not mean its the definitive answer, and I would like to discuss the difference in views with other more competent players. So all I am asking for is for constructive criticism on this debatable topic.

Downdraft

Smash Ace
The Samus and Meta Knight boards seem inactive, so I'm asking about the matchup here.
What is Meta Knight supposed to do versus Samus? I'm clueless on where to begin with approaching her and initiating punishes.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Supposed to grab. If you don't grab, she generally holds down and counters. You want to encroach on her space, remove missile as a reasonable option (not enough time or space to activate), and then engage in some RPS where you choose between immediately grabbing her / shielding / DD barely outside her range. In some niche cases you might even be bold enough to activate your own CC/ASDI down against her.

People are used to nair-planing thru missles as other chars, adjust your mentality to dodge or shield instead. Could even start getting frisky and cheeky with dimensional cape. Old mentality of "can't Nair missiles and can't stop her CC GG 4:6 Samus Wins" is starting to die as people use their brains more with like a top 3 character.

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
So you should go for grab.
And then the optimal combo tree is something like Uair, uair, uair,... uair, uair, uair, until you get something that leads into Shuttle loop, Cape or tornado if you want. Or you could just rack up a bunch of damage and edge guard her.

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Hey I'm late but I'm a mk main.

Samus is too slow for mk, and our sword has huge range and speed as well. As others have pointed out you just have to use good movement to get in and never let her down. Encroach on her space as fast as you can and you win essentially.

As for stages, most stage lists are absolutely horrendous for samus so you're already off to a good start after the Character Selection Screen and the Stage Pick Screen. Take her anywhere you want, but I'd avoid DL (lol we still win here), and FoD (not as much lol, which is surprising because MK is super good here). Ban PS2. It lets her missile camp better. No other stages are problems that I can think of, especially since GHZ, SV, and sometimes Bowser's or DS are starters. In the NE9 list she will have to start on an FD-like stage so you basically get game 1 much more easily.

Best moves to lead to the uair strings (aka stock) are grabs, usmash, and when uncrouch-cancelled, your dash attack, ftilt, ftilt, and even side b if you want to be cheeky.

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Could also just join the MK discord because that's basically where we've migrated to.

Samus basically has can't get down syndrome against MK where her only chance of getting down is mixing up her timings with bombs, even then its still a struggle for her. MK has the speed to navigate her projectiles and up-b kills her at higher %'s since she's floaty.

TLDR Fast swordball hit floaty robot that can't crawl.

Not a fun MU for Samus but its not impossible for her either.

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Could also just join the MK discord because that's basically where we've migrated to.

Samus basically has can't get down syndrome against MK where her only chance of getting down is mixing up her timings with bombs, even then its still a struggle for her. MK has the speed to navigate her projectiles and up-b kills her at higher %'s since she's floaty.

TLDR Fast swordball hit floaty robot that can't crawl.

Not a fun MU for Samus but its not impossible for her either.
Up-b can kill Samus at like 60%. MK is dumb.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What are all these 0/-1 against Falcon.

That doesn't sound right in the slightest.
I used to think many things about this MU, and then I played Odds

Been a couple months since then and it still hurts my cheeks to sit

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I just had to relearn a bunch of things about the MU related to Neutral. Getting a silly Knee or Stomp was not a problem, but grabbing him or not getting poked out of my DD was surprisingly difficult. Also Odds as a player does not drop advantage much, meaning even when a lengthy conversion isn't there he's just so well positioned and prepared after the 2-3 smacks he gets. This was evident not just with his Bowser, but watching his Sonic in some friendlies. Solharath and I watched some, and both basically talked about how godly he was. Watching vs playing him is a whole different thing

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
watching odd's sonic on hitbox.tv/abpm is a religious experience

I'm not sure that sonic "fits" odds per se

but this is an educational experience on how to play smash fundamentally

of course as a luigi-exclusive player I'm beyond saving and can never learn fundamentals

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
Maybe? I don't remember when I did that, but it is not a good MU for bowser :[
Big > Small.
Turtle = Turtle.
Therefore (Big + Turtle) > (Small + Turtle).
(Big + Turtle) = Bowser. (Small + Turtle) = Squirtle.

It follows that Bowser > Squirtle. MU is anywhere from 51-49 to 100-0 Bowser favor.

I swear you guys don't even think before you post.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Elements > Turtles

Water > Fire

Squirtle = Water, Bowser = Fire

Squirtle > Bowser

Now the shoe is on the other hand!

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Where do I sign?
Or how do I get a petition going for you or whatever?
ha
Dunno, you could probably message them on facebook or something?

bowser has more armor than squirtle
In practical terms, he doesn't. His only functional move that's armored at a reasonable time is dash attack, and that's highly situational.

Compare to Squirtle's side b + nair + dsmash

Chevy

Smash Ace

In practical terms, he doesn't. His only functional move that's armored at a reasonable time is dash attack, and that's highly situational.

Convince me that Bowser's n-air, d-smash, and crawl/d-tilt are not functional and useful armor moves.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486

lmfao dsmash armor

good joke odds

Player -0

Smash Hero
he's so small it might as well be armor.

I still don't like how D-Smash was handled. Even before it was nerfed, it was a wide tech coverage option (it like, covered everything if they were bad) while I see Squirtle as a technical fast paced character (he can slow game down like Fox but WG is cooler and stuff). Should've been like, an actual combo D-Smash that hits really small but scoops.

I have le insane ideas. Combo smashes

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
throw release points in this game do not vary based on character weight, yes?

but throw iasa frames do vary, yes?
They vary based on the character you're throwing. Not by weight. I don't have the chart anymore but each character has a Y-offset that is subtracted from the regular throw release point.

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
They vary based on the character you're throwing. Not by weight. I don't have the chart anymore but each character has a Y-offset that is subtracted from the regular throw release point.
I mainly ask this because it feels like I have to wait a longer time to act after some throws when vs some heavy characters like bowser/yoshi

Last edited:

Chevy

Smash Ace
I mainly ask this because it feels like I have to wait a longer time to act after some throws when vs some heavy characters like bowser/yoshi
It's not the IASA frames it's that the entire animation plays slower on heavier characters and vice versa. Which results in more frames of endlag even after they have been released. Most throws have this quality, there are exceptions. This is the only way weight affects throws, 100 weight is assumed for knockback purposes on every throw in every game(except Sm4sh maybe?).

Top Bottom