• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunder Stone in hand: Raichu bolts to the scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
All because someone asked me how would Raichu be different from Pika.

Also, I feel that since pichu was in melee, raichu isn't "impossible/very unlikely" enough to have to be stuffed in that thread. Raichu has been in many parts of the anime.manga, he's one of the most reoccurring pokemon that isn't a legendary/owned by the main cast. They could even go into the whole "pikachu evolved into raichu and pichu is the new pika" thing which would be an interesting side. If they made a trainer who wasn't just starter pokemon, raichu would also fit well into the middle spot(going fro smallest to biggest). He'd be a great "extra" character to fill the roster.

My moveset:

>tilt would be a tail whip from behind to infront(remember, his tail is MUCH longer)

nair would be shash64 pika's(again, much bigger limbs)

uair tip sends upward with electric shock, mid semi spikes(while facing) base/raichu sends the side he's facing.

dair could be the same or could stomp his feet twice(the SECOND stomp would be a spike)

>air he launches his fist forward(mario), early % sends them up-sih out, high % away from rai

back air , Raichu kicks out(ness), Or tail whips like yoshi/mewtwo

>smash could stay, Or be like sonics plus electric

Vsamsh breakdances, no electric damage

^ same, slower, stronger

B could be many things, wind up fist(if not smash attack), thundershock that "trips" the opponent with electric(giving the paralyzed effect), no damage or a chargeable beam.

Down b probly the same, potential acts a reflector/heals

up b "wild charge" alone it's quick attack but when hit's it stuns the opponent(no damage) and hurts raichu two per part hit (4% max) no QAC, has melee lag at the end if on ground

side b Rollout, rolls into a ball(chargeable) jump cancleable

Final smash: I dgaf about the soo :p

Grab: Pummels with electric fists

^throw, heaves the opponent up, even though i hate it, probly chaingrabs

>throw Headbutts the opponent forward, least distance throw

V throw, slams the opponent into the ground, popping them into the air(ungrabbable, also can be teched so you don't pop up)

<throw, does one spin on back and kicks opponent outward

all throws have longer(slightly) reach, given, ya know... he has longer arms

Heavier(still light), runs slower, BUT his dashes would be longer PLUS the same time as pika's.

Initial jump is higher second is lower(makes him a good edge guarder but worse recovery) short hop is also higher. ALL moves have more lag(save for headbutt lol)

all moves not stated would remain the same as pikachu.

SpatialPSI

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regent_EX
3DS FC
1091-7941-1344

It would be funny if they added Raichu and re-added Pichu so then we'd get all the evolutions of Pikachu.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Go back to the Melee era of clones in other words?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I would like to see Pichu and Raichu as alternate costumes of Pikachu. Maybe with slightly differences about wight or speed, but with the same moveset. They're similar enough to not need another slot.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Do you think that you can be a bit more detailed about why Raichu should be in? The primary post looks like it's missing something.

Life

Smash Hero
Offtopic, but I keep getting "Seven Rings in Hand" (from Sonic and the Secret Rings) stuck in my head when I see this thread title.

And yeah, Raichu as an alternate costume would be cool, but I don't see the point in making it a full character.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
ehhhh... no. we already have Pikachu, no need for his evolutionary relatives (honestly, Pichu was a bad choice for a character).

for the Pokémon franchise, there are a lot of other possibilities.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
edited the op.

I don't think Raichu is the mostt wanted/ready pokemon to add, but, if they want to add "extras" near the end of the character creation, this is where Raichu would shine as a top pick.

Also- i COULD see raichu being a skin, but not pihu, bodies differ WAY too much.

Go back to the Melee era of clones in other words?
If they chose the moveset i gave, he would be VERY different than the melee clones, for their moves were completely ripped from the oc(which were really just hitbox changed and speed changed)

D

Deleted member

No Raichu.
If we must have another electric rat, bring Pichu back.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'd prefer Raichu to Pikachu, but I don't need both.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Since Melee's Pichu evolved into Brawl's Pikachu, Melee's Pikachu needs to come back as SM4SH's Raichu.

It's only fair

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
hmm, so really a heavier version of pika? for one, i think if thunder were to heal then that would be abused moreso than it already is by casuals. but, i think there's room for more creativity. if maybe you wanted him to keep the moveset and just perfered raichu its fine :p
but. i think moves such as
charge/discharge: raichu stores electrical energy, fully charged deals good damage in place with an electric effect, radius is bout one character space left right up and down.lower charges have about half the range, but are quicker and in a more flashlike fashion as not to leave raichu very vulnerable.
i also think that implying raichu's static ability into it would give him a bit of an interesting edge if he will be slower than pika, a slight chance of paralysis on direct contact. (obviously this calue would have to be low.
i can think of others later, but as far as final smash goes. why not zap cannon instead of volt tackle? it would be like suicune's ice beam but electrical and just a bit bigger.

edited content will go here: thunderwave(don't know how i forgot this): adds upon raichu's disabling capabilities further by producing a slow moving, long lasting wave that paralyzes foes on contact. does not clash with or negate other projectiles, interacting only with other characters or stage.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
I really dont need Raichu

But at least he'd be better than Pichu. A heavier Pikachu already sounds better than the unnecessary lighter version of an already light character we had in Melee.

But nah, I can live without him.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i dont think so. when people think pokemon they think pikachu. keep jiggs for the fact that shes been here the whole way. bring back mewtwo. keep lucario and add zoroark. change up PT to represent gen 3 since it hasnt been yet (pichu in melee was gen 2). no need for anymore pokemon. also raichu isnt iconic enough

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
Why do we "need" to rep each gen? It would be silly to take out the ORIGINAL starters for gen 3s. And why have mewtwo, lucario, AND zoroark, but Raichu is a no go? He's been in more of the anime than the last two, has pretty much been mentioned throughout the series(as pikachu seems to fear thunderstones...)

D

Deleted member

Let's see, because Mewtwo, Lucario, and Zoroark (well, somewhat) have popularity that Raichu doesn't have, all three are actually unique (one's a psychic cat thing with the ruthless mindset of Akuma, one is an honorable martial arts jackal that uses mystical energy, and the third is a mischievous fox creature that uses power of illusion and feral instincts) compared to Raichu, which is just a larger electrical rat than the one that's in Smash already, and two of them have been in Smash already which means they shouldn't even be compared to an unpopular, unoriginal character.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
:phone: its true they do have more popularity than raichu. But each had specific attention directed to them (this is excluding mewtwo he was wildly popular before he showed on the anime. and I also support bringing him back, as far as story goes perhaps returning to play the role as an anti hero?), ahem. Lucario naturally piques an interest in young males that play pokemon, and zoark's popularity is mainly due to focused publicity on black and whites debut. Although raichu does appear in the anime, pikachu is just more iconic being ash's first. Plus, as everyone points out, the pokemon series is already heavily represented, so I think zoark if anything shouldn't take up a more deserving character slot and should just be a pokeball.
Good gravy that's a wall of text, this Is what I get for trying to be a neutral....

:phone:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
the thing is zoroark mewtwo and lucario were pretty much the face of their generation if you wanna call it that. pikachu is the face of pokemon. do what you want with PT (i dont really care what they do) he was your character in the game. idk what jiggly is doing there but they arent taking her out. no need for another rep. raichu will be too similar to pikachu. just slower and probably stronger. maybe as a final smash but i wouldnt like that. idk about you guys tho

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
you have a point, being the faces of their generations. and raichu would only be similar if they made him similar. but still, point taken.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Raichu? It's probably in the bottom half of possible pokemon reps.. Also, 'He's been in more of the anime than the last two' So, when was Raichu's first movie? Never mind the 2-3 (can't really remember) that Lucario has had. Zoroark is brand new, he wouldn't have had the chance to be the in the anime like Raichu, and Lucario is pretty new as well! I'd like to go on Bulbapedia and see how many of his appearances have been cameos: Major appearances, 1, Lt. Surge's Raichu 10 years ago. ... That is so many. Minor appearances: 9 Being one of the first pokemon, that's about average. Other, 10. 2 of those are solely it's electric typing... That has under-whelmed me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I personally would like Raichu as well, and I picture him having a moveset quite like Pikachu's 64 moveset, but with more lag on some moves. He could also keep the Skull Bash, and Pikachu could get another move. I could see a lot that could possibly make Raichu a cool alternative option to Pikachu (think: Mario>Dr.Mario, Toon Link>Young Link, Ganondorf> Melee moveset Ganondorf ect. ect.). Ofcoarse, I hope that Pichu would get the same treatment. That'd only be fair. :pichu:

Anyways, am not a supporter but I wouldn't mind seeing Raichu either.

It all depends on what they do with the roster. If we can get character alternations, I would surely like to play as Raichu being the heavier Pikachu.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Personally I won't advocate for him but would much rather him than Pichu. Having arms/hands and that blade like tail could do a lot to set him apart from Pikachu. Not to say that pichu couldn't stand out...it's just i don't see that as very likely.

Also, not so sure Zoroark is more popular than Raichu. While he may have had a movie, Zoroark is still a 5th gen pokemon which means he's relatively new. Z may have had a movie but that can only carry you so far. If movies made you the most popular than Jirachi would be more popular than Charizard. Zoroark may have pretty decent immediate popularity, but Raichu has held strong in the minds of people throughout all 5 gens albeit still in Pikachu's shadow. I don't know about you but I've had Raichu's on my team since Blue Version.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
look. hes a new rep. im sure nintendo will go with newer reps over old ones. new games come out so they're gonna want the characters in a new smash game to advertise in a way. think of how many sales nintendo gets from these games. people buy games with their favorite smash characters. they wont do raichu because they already finished selling pokemon red blue and yellow. they need to sell BW2 and anything else new

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
look. hes a new rep. im sure nintendo will go with newer reps over old ones. new games come out so they're gonna want the characters in a new smash game to advertise in a way. think of how many sales nintendo gets from these games. people buy games with their favorite smash characters. they wont do raichu because they already finished selling pokemon red blue and yellow. they need to sell BW2 and anything else new
If this was addressed at me, I'm already very aware of all those points. I already said I wasn't advocating for this character.

If not, carry on.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah exactly that's why they added R.O.B., Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf and the Pokémon Trainer.

D

Deleted member

Yeah exactly that's why they added R.O.B., Lucas, Toon Link, Wolf and the Pokémon Trainer.

I hate to be THAT guy, but Lucas was not by any means an "older character".
The latest game in the series he came from was his own, and that was in 2006 to Brawl's 2008.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I hate to be THAT guy, but Lucas was not by any means an "older character".
The latest game in the series he came from was his own, and that was in 2006 to Brawl's 2008.
And lets not forget R.O.B being a retro so he doesn't need to be recent.

Also Red was in Fire Red/Leaf Green(2004 between Melee and Brawl). Not super recent but recent enough.

D

Deleted member

It's not that they weren't in recent games, it's that they themselves are old characters. Otherwise, I would have brought up Assault for Wolf.

jigglover

Smash Lord
It doesn't matter if they are old or new, just loads of other factors. Otherwise there should have only been gen 2 newcomers in pokemon, but voila, there's Mewtwo! Wolf definitely deserved to get in (more than Falco in my opinion) as did PT, representing a whole different perception of pokemon. R.O.B saved nintendo and video games as we know them, and possibly altogether. He is so important he was given several random cameos! I have no knowledge or experience of Mother/Earthbound, so I can't say anything on Lucas. Note, this is not in favour of Raichu, I am dead-set against it.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
it was just an extra factor that could go into deciding on the choice. it was probably my weakest point but it still does factor in at least a little bit. they can take out ROB since he is just a rebuilt snes right? hes not a character. but i'll leave this to the ROB thread. mewtwo got in melee because leaf green and fire red were probably coming out. they had pichu as the gen 2 rep. just look back to my other points and convince me otherwise

D

Deleted member

Melee was in 2001, when Gold and Silver were brand new.
FR/LG was in 2004, after Ruby and Sapphire came out.
So no. Mewtwo was not added because of FR/LG.

Hell, Mewtwo was added because he was planned for Smash 64. And before you say it, no, Meowth was not planned, or if he was, we have no legitimate proof.

Pichu was also not added to represent the 2nd Gen. Pichu being one is just coincidence.
Pichu was heavily marketed during the time, could serve as an easy "model swap" character (that we know today as clones) of Pikachu, and could serve as a joke character by being very light and damaging itself with electric attacks.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i guess raichu could be a color skin for pikachu if you really want raichu in. i doubt enough people are asking for him for nintendo to do it. final smash at the very most but i think they're keeping pikachu's volt tackle since its pikachus signature move right?

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Its not bad to have Raichu in as a newcomer, but it's quite unlikely. However, it'd make quite a story builder.

First, there was Pikachu in 64. Then in melee, Pichu enters the scene. In brawl, Pichu evolves into Pikachu, but the original Pikachu disappears mysteriously. In Ssb4, The original Pikachu returns, but as a Raichu. I'll work on this story idea at a different time.

Anywho, I would love Raichu to be a playable character, but chances are he won't be.

:phone:

jigglover

Smash Lord
it was just an extra factor that could go into deciding on the choice. it was probably my weakest point but it still does factor in at least a little bit. they can take out ROB since he is just a rebuilt snes right? hes not a character. but i'll leave this to the ROB thread. mewtwo got in melee because leaf green and fire red were probably coming out. they had pichu as the gen 2 rep. just look back to my other points and convince me otherwise
This the one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. R.O.B (it needs dots because it's an abbreviation of robotic operating buddy) wasn't just a rebuilt snes. I'll be honest with you, I'm not overly knowledgeable about R.O.B, but I know enough. For one, R.O.B was an accessory for the NES, not the SNES, and while it was, in essence, a rebuilt NES, it saved gaming, Nintendo and other things. After having R.O.B in brawl, it would be a crime to take it out. 'Mmewtwo got in melee because leaf green and fire red were coming out'. I don't know about you, but I think 3 years is a pretty damn long time for developing a game, this especially applies to most remakes. Fire-red and Leaf-green went no where near the extra mile like Heartgold/Soulsilver, being annoyingly similair to Red and Blue, but with new pokemon and in colour. It does not take 3 years to put in roughly 200(?) pokemon into the game, probably less than that even! That is fact, remakes of red and green probably wouldn't have even come into anyone's head at Game freak, in fact, the main reason they were created was because generation 3 was incompatible with generation 2 making it impossible to get lots of gen 2 and especially gen 1 pokemon to ruby and sapphire, and possibly colosseum (XD wasn't out at the time, though most likely in production). Pichu got in as a roster filler and clone (I don't see why last-minute clones were even put in, especially over characters like D3 whom Sakurai had models for already) not to represent anything. If you're completely dead-set on 'every character is in to represent something' like some people, then I think baby Pokemon are more likely than generation 2, and that is incredibly unlikely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
^ Which is also why I think that if Raichu is to be included, Pichu should as well.

In the older thread, I made a suggestion of a PT / Pikachu combining sort of character, where you start out as Pichu (assuming you take 3 stocks) and after gaining 'happiness' in this way; beat the first stock of the opponent without losing yours, you evolve into Pikachu. Who again, could evolve into Raichu upon finding the Thunder Stone, which would appear as an item Pikachu needs to grab. Opponents in return could also get the Thunder Stone and either throw it off stage, or throw it at Pikachu.

There'd also be the possibility to play as Pikachu alone but you'd have to press at Pikachu specifically, much like Zelda / Sheik and the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon.

It's very unlikely to happen, and I feel that if they do this for Pikachu, why not do this for Pokemon Trainer as well? Options: 'Standard Pokemon Trainer' - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, 'Fire Starter Pokemon Trainer' - Charmander evolving into Charizard, 'Grass Starter Trainer' - Bulbasaur evolving into Venusaur and 'Water Starter Trainer' - Squirtle evolving into Blastoise.

Igglybuff - Jigglypuff - Wigglytuff and Riolu - Lucario could also work, but it might be too much work. Just add in standalone Mewtwo, Lucario and a 5th gen rep and Pokemon would be fine. But really, it all depends on how many characters are to be added.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
^ Which is also why I think that if Raichu is to be included, Pichu should as well.

In the older thread, I made a suggestion of a PT / Pikachu combining sort of character, where you start out as Pichu (assuming you take 3 stocks) and after gaining 'happiness' in this way; beat the first stock of the opponent without losing yours, you evolve into Pikachu. Who again, could evolve into Raichu upon finding the Thunder Stone, which would appear as an item Pikachu needs to grab. Opponents in return could also get the Thunder Stone and either throw it off stage, or throw it at Pikachu.

There'd also be the possibility to play as Pikachu alone but you'd have to press at Pikachu specifically, much like Zelda / Sheik and the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon.

It's very unlikely to happen, and I feel that if they do this for Pikachu, why not do this for Pokemon Trainer as well? Options: 'Standard Pokemon Trainer' - Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, 'Fire Starter Pokemon Trainer' - Charmander evolving into Charizard, 'Grass Starter Trainer' - Bulbasaur evolving into Venusaur and 'Water Starter Trainer' - Squirtle evolving into Blastoise.

Igglybuff - Jigglypuff - Wigglytuff and Riolu - Lucario could also work, but it might be too much work. Just add in standalone Mewtwo, Lucario and a 5th gen rep and Pokemon would be fine. But really, it all depends on how many characters are to be added.
I like these ideas!

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i didnt finish reading your post jigglover because you were mentioning things that were dropped like the fire red and leaf green thing. i didnt mention it but you brought it back. my post was just meant to say that age is one factor thats there but not very important. idk how forgetting the dots is important when saying ROB.. sorry R.O.B. i was also saying my other points were more important. if you go back they are much more important

diddy kong your points actually lets me reconsider raichu tho. now i only think its unlikely for my reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom