• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Three Quick Questions

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I did this exercise at uni today and it was really thought provoking. Thought I'd give it a shot here...so yeah just answer the questions.

1. What is the most important thing in your life right now?

2. If you were told you were about to die soon, what would be the most important thing to you?

3. If your answer to 2 was different to 1, why?

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
1) Being successful enough in life to be able to live comfortable doing something that I love and making sure that I haven't wasted the last 4 years of my life getting a degree in something I won't use. Currently I've been nervous about my future, i.e. getting a job, graduating college, real life.

2) Family/friends and spending time with them. Plain and simple.

3) I have a good relationship with the people around me, so that really isn't anything I need to worry about. If I was to die tomorrow I would have no regrets (save one) about how I lived my life. Hence my worries about the future. However, if I was to find out I was going to die soon, my future wouldn't matter very much, now would it? I would want to focus on the things that were important to me that I could affect/enjoy myself as much as possible before I went.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
1.) Family/friends/relationships
2.) Obviously, tell my family/friends about the situation. Spend as much time as I can with them.
3.) Since I would be about to die, I would need to spend time with my family more than usual. Taking things for granted is something I do too often. I should be more thankful for what God has given me.

Ryan Ludovic

Smash Journeyman
India
2. If you were told you were about to die soon, what would be the most important thing to you?
India, I'd tell him I was dying, then go do funny stuff.
because I would be lying to india in #1 telling xyr i was dying :p
Sometimes we realize certian things are untrue in life when faced with the idea of death.
:]

good thread

Zinky*

Smash Rookie
1. Family and friends
2. Family and friends

Not too complicated for me.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
1.) College
2.) People
3.) College is more long-term than the specific people that I'm referring to. If I were to be concerned with my immediate short-term life, then I'd focus more on 2, but as it is, I'll stick with 1.

bbbooster

RAINBOW FLOWER MEGA CANNON
1. Building my artistic maturity to the point where I can communicate ideas that are, in my humble opinion, very important, i.e. the human condition. And I couldn't have a better time doing this than with traditional frame-by-frame animation.
2. My closest loved ones.
3. I hold my beloved ones dearly :) I couldn't imagine myself not spending my last few hours of life without them. So, in that respect, the quest for accumulating knowledge and ability would have to be relegated to the backburner!

Yay, nice thread!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Very interesting topic right here.

1. Being happy, no matter what.

2. The people I love the most.

3. If I were to die soon, I'd sure want the people so close to me, my family and friends to know what was happening. I'd wish for them to live happy, long lives, even if I'm not in the picture anymore. I'd be happy, if they would stay happy in the future. I know it would take time for them to recover from such a shock but in time they'd surely be able to live life to the fullest again.

My only real sadness, is that if I were to die, I do have friends on here too and what if you were never to find out about me? Would I just disappear from the forums forever while people dwell on what happened to me? Probably.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
*resists the urge to say something about this but won't because it will turn into a religious debate*

Then you wasted half a post saying you would not debate against somebody while you could easily have not replied instead of not-so-subtly conveying the fact you share a different view than he does and trying to make it seem like you are holier-than-thou by not debating against him.
That being said the only reason I have replied to this is because Proverbs is my friend and I respect his views enough to tell you to not be stupid by saying pointless things on the boards to him.

Nothing against you, of course. :)

Trying to find a job.

Making things right with people I know, and am currently on non-speaking terms with.

Because making things right with those people is not a top priority for me, and in order for me to sustain myself right now I would need a job.
If I'm about to die the need to sustain myself vanishes.

HawaiianJigglyPuff

Smash Ace
1. School, by far.
2. Spend lots of time with family and friends.
3. School ==> good future. If I don't have a future, then there is no point in focusing so much (if at all) on school.

Excellent question though. I do need to not take my family for granted, the way I know I do.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, OP, what were your answers/were there any that sparked debate in your class? It seems that there is a trend in the answers in this thread.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Thanks, Matt. And Dekuu, I realize that my point of view is unpopular. If you want to discuss the way you see things with me, feel free to VM/PM/AIM me and we'll get to chatting. I love talking about my beliefs and hearing others' points of view as well--but let's not have that discussion here.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
1. God.
2. God.
Great answer. I strive to adopt this mentality too.

Excellent question though. I do need to not take my family for granted, the way I know I do.
Excellent point. I think we all do.

Just wondering, OP, what were your answers/were there any that sparked debate in your class? It seems that there is a trend in the answers in this thread.
The questions were part of a session within our Christian society and we were just generating discussion as a means of evaluating how we view our lives and whether it's how we really should be viewing it. We then approached general people on the campus and put the questions to them to see what your average person thought about it.

Some people said food lol, some people said family, getting a good degree (as you would expect within a university setting, a couple said God, although I felt some of these people were just saying that as they felt that was the expected answer and were just saying that to appease us in a way. When we asked the second question most people turned to family and contemplation on how they lived their lives, whereas others talked about how they would like to do stuff that they never got the chance to do. Some admitted they would contemplate what would happen to them after they died.

One individual, after we asked him the second question, said that they're young and that they didn't want to think about dying, and that it was ages away. I know no one wants to think of life in this way, but as soon as he said that I thought to myself that he could die tomorrow for all we know, or even in the next minute. It opened my eyes to the fact that we under estimate the value of life daily. I'll admit, I do it too. Another woman said to me, 'Why are you asking me this on a Friday afternoon, this isn't stuff you talk about on a Friday, I'm about to go to a Christmas party'. I lol'd and replied 'When do you want me to come talk to you about it, Monday, Tuesday evening?' Truth is, who knows if I'll be alive to talk to you about it then?

Before I get accused of making this thread to provoke religious debate, I did not. I think that it's a shame we aren't allowed to talk about it in a mature fashion, but I respect the rules and the moderators here. I merely did it to provoke contemplation on aspects of life, that we as humans tend to shun and not want to think about. We then went on to ask people about their views on what they though happened to them after death, whether they believed nothing would happen, whether they thought they would go to heaven or hell etc. But like I said I don't want to be accused of opening up religious debate, so I just put the first three questions. To any mods who think this thread will open too much religious debate, I apologise, but I think the questions can be addressed without too much religious debate.

tl;dr

In conclusion, it was just designed to think about the value of life and how we take it for granted. Thanks for answering guys and being honest. Love your life and the people in it. Never hold a meaningless grudge against someone, it truly is fruitless.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
It's not like there was a religious theme in the delivery of the questions. I’m sure if there was, then it would have swayed people’s answers, for better or for worse. Seeing how only one person responded with a religious answer, I don't really see a problem with it.

Years ago, when I went to a Youth Group regularly, there were times when we were asked things along this line. Not with the death part, but questions that always seemed to have an undertone of “God is the answer.” Maybe if you had asked those people the same questions in a different setting you would have gotten different answers. Peer pressure is a strange thing.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Yeah I've had similar experience in various youth events.

I agree the environment would have influenced their answers, but I think the answers we got were on the whole quite representative of the society I live in.

Top Bottom