• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on: Since Smash Ultimate, includes all playable fighters, does this mean that all newcomers from now on will be playable forever?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
In Smash Ultimate, it's stated that everyone is here. But does this mean that no playable characters will be removed from Smash 6 and onward?

So will all newcomers now be permanently playable?

BowserKing

Smash Lord
I just hope no one gets left behind.

But that would cost a few years and licensing, but hopefully with a lot of workers and effort, it will be worth the wait.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Doubt it. Some newcomers from Melee to Brawl and from Brawl to Smash 4 were left behind. It all comes down to popularity as well, so I wouldn’t be surprised if Corrin didn’t make it into the next game.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Maybe. If Smash Ultimste becomes the basis for the future of the franchise, like For Wii U did for Ultimate, it would mean less work would have to be put into totally remaking these characters. Which means it's more likely for everyone to come back. If they start from scratch? I highly doubt it. Licensing is an issue but seeing the profit margins that Smash has brought to not only itself but the franchises that connect to it make me think that the companies involved would have no problem coming back for a second, third, or fourth helping.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Depends on whether future Smash titles are just Ultimate with a bit more content

'Everyone is here!' is Ultimate's USP, so there's no reason they'd continue this philosophy in future titles

CasualGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
CasualGamer89
Sakurai previously stated the "Everyone is Here" mantra was probably a one-time deal. Then again, he's stated after every Smash that he's done.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Everyone is here" doesn't mean "Everyone will always be here, forever."

Things can change next game, especially with how many third party licenses there would be to try to retain. But Ultimate's not even over yet so I think this is a bit too preemptive.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I'm thinking it will either be a One and done(like MvC2) or an annual(like Tekken Tag) but will not likely be the standard.

I mean just getting Cloud to return alone must have been a headache just by the bits of things we have with him as is.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Potentially, except maybe Cloud, since he's apparently been such a hassle to retrieve compared to the other third parties. Even if characters get cut next time, they have immunity since they can be brought back sooner or later. No perfect attendance like the original 12, though.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I believe he was alluding to the third partys when he said that, getting them in is a entire different ball game. Also I think people are reading into it to much sakurai has made these type of comments all the time then turn around a do that plus more.

ignore................................................

Quillion

Smash Hero
He's never even confirmed a "next Smash game," though, to my knowledge.
He just acts as if every Smash game is the last one. Which is admirable really. This ensures he goes all out with whatever he wants.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Personally there are only three reasons why I see anybody getting cut:
-Licensing: Mostly for the 3rd Party characters. HOWEVER I feel like if these are the only reasons a character to be cut, then I don't see the other companies being so willing to remove their characters. Maybe they become more resistant on adding more of their characters, but if in Smash 6 or 7 if all the characters return except for Snake and the Belmonts for example, people would complain about Konami's doings.
-Hardware: Seeing as some of the previous cuts were due to limitation of the 3DS, it is a possibility that the console after the switch might not be able to handle some of the characters programming. Less likely because it seems that Nintendo might only be doing on system at a time for now.
-Time Restrictions: The most likely reason. Characters end up on the cutting room floor. We see this with the forbidden seven in Brawl. If the next Smash is given a deadline and they can't reach that deadline, I assume that the lower priority characters will end up being dropped. Highest priorities would probably be the bigger characters like Mario, Link, Pikachu, Inkling, etc as well as the 3rd Parties (because they already went trough the trouble of getting the rights to them, so they better take advantage of it)

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Bringing everyone back was a longtime opportunity and it may not happen again. So who knows.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Nope. I heard that Sakurai said that Ultimate's roster almost didn't happen because of some character licensing. Sonic has been in Smash since Brawl, so I think it's safe to say that any upcoming DLC character could possibly return in any future Smash games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Maybe it comes down to the first party characters. Third party characters are by their nature tied up in legal agreements, but what if development time and resource constraints prevent some first party characters from coming back?

osby

Smash Obsessed
The point of this game is that it's the ultimate Super Smash bros game. It's unlikely there will ever be a smash 6.
Not really. The game's original title is "Special", nobody from development team said it's supposed to be the ultimate one, it's just how they localized it.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I doubt that the entire roster will carry on to the next game. Cuts are sometimes inevitable due to a limited development time or legal issues with third parties. Who knows though, it'll be nearly a decade until a sequel is made so anything is possible.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Here's hoping characters will be removed. Seriously, if all we had for characters were what was revealed during the 2018 invitational, I'd be fine with it.

Top Bottom