• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Sheik's new design?

I think brawl Sheik was better, this one is too manly looking. Sheik is supposed to be a little curvaceous- She's not a man she's supposed to be "Shiek"
and whats with making all the Zelda characters look constantly angry, its kind of annoying actually.
Well, in the ocarina of time english version Princess Ruto refers to Sheik as a man/boy when you meet Ruto in the Water Temple. To me, I always figured this meant she was suppose to be viewed as male. Not like speculation will do much, but I still feel like pointing it out anyway. Zelda was in hiding in OoT to begin with, so it also seems to make sense that she might wish to be viewed as a male to further strengthen the identity. But anyway, the differences do not bother me that much between the character designs.

Last edited:

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
Yes, she is supposed to appear male. Obviously. That's what the disguise is- but she's still supposed to maintain some feminine qualities as Zelda is not a man. It's simply Zelda in a costume.

Sheik13.png

This pretty much confirms this

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Here's a question for everyone:
WHY THE **** DOESN'T SHEIK USE THAT DANG SWORD/KNIVE/DAGGER/BLADE ON HER HIP AT ALL?! or am I the only one who cares that a Ninja has a ninja weapon that they don't use EVER? seriously.......
She doesn't use the knife for the same reason falcon doesn't use his gun. it'd be too easy.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Um, what? how does that work? Fox and Falco have guns that work like the captain's, and most of the characters have swords anyway, so your argument is invalid unless you clarify what you mean.

davidvkimball

blippi.gg, @MeleeHD Lead
Slippi.gg
D#0
NNID
davidvkimball
3DS FC
3196-5240-6546
Switch FC
SW-1880-0689-1110
Yes, she is supposed to appear male. Obviously. That's what the disguise is- but she's still supposed to maintain some feminine qualities as Zelda is not a man. It's simply Zelda in a costume.

View attachment 15285

This pretty much confirms this
Whoa, that's trippy!

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Um, what? how does that work? Fox and Falco have guns that work like the captain's, and most of the characters have swords anyway, so your argument is invalid unless you clarify what you mean.
Captain Falcon has had a gun since smash 64 and it has never been a part of his moveset.

Sausage Zeldas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sanics
3DS FC
2509-2629-0987
Real swords are heavy. A child would probably give up pretty quickly on trying to lug it around. Exposure to swords in fiction would probably inspire a child to play with a wrapping paper tube more than an actual sword.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
She looks more masculine, which I thought Sheik's design needed.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
This, although the Hyrule Warriors one has something that ticks me off, I just don't know what.
I think the Hyrule Warriors design looks sloppy. It's too busy looking, too many daggers and cloth pieces everywhere. She kind of loses that sleek and quick ninja look.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Well, in the ocarina of time english version Princess Ruto refers to Sheik as a man/boy when you meet Ruto in the Water Temple. To me, I always figured this meant she was suppose to be viewed as male. Not like speculation will do much, but I still feel like pointing it out anyway. Zelda was in hiding in OoT to begin with, so it also seems to make sense that she might wish to be viewed as a male to further strengthen the identity. But anyway, the differences do not bother me that much between the character designs.
I always figured this meant that Princess Ruto was dumb successfully fooled by the disguise, as Zelda would have intended.

kuk

Smash Cadet
They actually gave her visible muscle tone, which is great! Although this makes me wonder why Samus didn't get the same treatment - her body just got curvier. >_<

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I prefer a more feminine Sheik, so I'm not actually a fan of the update. The muscle tone throws me off, where-as a curvier design would feel much smoother and more Sheik-like, to me. Brawl Sheik looked great except I've always disliked the braided ponytail.

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
They actually gave her visible muscle tone, which is great! Although this makes me wonder why Samus didn't get the same treatment - her body just got curvier. >_<
It's not remotely common for women to have visible muscle tone. Yes, Samus has been sexualized (since her very first appearance) and I can understand you being offended by that as a woman, but expecting her to have a steroid-induced female bodybuilder look isn't fair either. Sheik is very androgynous so it makes sense to give her masculine characteristics.

Last edited:

kuk

Smash Cadet
It's not remotely common for women to have visible muscle tone. Yes, Samus has been sexualized (since her very first appearance) and I can understand you being offended by that as a woman, but expecting her to have a steroid-induced female bodybuilder look isn't fair either. Sheik is very androgynous so it makes sense to give her masculine characteristics.
I didn't mean that she should have large abs or swelling muscles - but a bit of tone, you know? Or are you saying the females can't achieve that because of our gender?

R0Y

Smash Master
I didn't mean that she should have large abs or swelling muscles - but a bit of tone, you know? Or are you saying the females can't achieve that because of our gender?
It's just far harder than for a guy to achieve that, nor would most women I know desire "toned muscles." Samus is an Olympic athlete type, not an Olympic bodybuilder type.

kuk

Smash Cadet
It's just far harder than for a guy to achieve that, nor would most women I know desire "toned muscles." Samus is an Olympic athlete type, not an Olympic bodybuilder type.
Here's a surprise for you: it's far from that hard for women to achieve a toned look.

R0Y

Smash Master
Please show me how her body is toned. Slim=/=toned.
You see the strong, muscular thighs? You see the depression running down her abdomen, called a Linea Alba?

She looks pretty strong to me.

kuk

Smash Cadet
You see the strong, muscular thighs? You see the depression running down her abdomen, called a Linea Alba?

She looks pretty strong to me.
You're right, I didn't see that before. Even her arms have som tone, actually - although not the same as Sheik. However, her backside still lacks tone, and that is the most curvy of all.

So I admit to be half wrong. :p Her arms, legs and mid section is somewhat toned, but not her butt. And her butt is just big. >_<

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
You're right, I didn't see that before. Even her arms have som tone, actually - although not the same as Sheik. However, her backside still lacks tone, and that is the most curvy of all.

So I admit to be half wrong. :p Her arms, legs and mid section is somewhat toned, but not her butt. And her butt is just big. >_<
Glad we could agree, and yeah I wasn't going to bring up her butt because I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but that's a very feminine trait. It's also a trait many people really admire.

I can understand you being uncomfortable because of the developers giving her a large butt and a skin tight suit though, I imagine if I were a woman I wouldn't like it, given the daily harassment many women face. But I can't help being male, and yeah it is just big :p

Essentially, I agree with you now but I can't help but like her design, but I get where you're coming from.

At the end of the day ZSS is as muscular as she needs to be though.

Last edited:

kuk

Smash Cadet
Glad we could agree, and yeah I wasn't going to bring up her butt because I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable, but that's a very feminine trait. It's also something that people greatly admire. I can understand you being uncomfortable because of the developers giving her a large butt and a skin tight suit though, I imagine if I were a woman I wouldn't like it, given the daily harassment many women face. But I can't help but like it, even if it untoned and out of place.
You're honest, I appreciate that very much. :-)

I don't think anyone should feel uncomfortable as long as we keep a respectful tone. :) All women (and men, hah hah) have butts after all. However, I feel that the reason Samus's butt looks like it does is to maximize sex appeal for the male gaze. I would like to see it depicted more like in line with the rest of her body - which means smaller. But I guess guys like when it looks that big, no?

The thing I like with Sheik is that she proves that just because she's a woman doesn't mean she has huge boobs and a large butt. Sheik has curves too, but they make sense for her body type - they don't look out of place.

What I'm saying is that there's of course nothing wrong with different body types. Some women are really curvy, but - and this is an important point - then the rest of their bodies are also plumper. For example, if a real women had Samus's boobs and buttocks, the rest of her body would most likely be a little plump, too. But Samus is only made to look as sexy as possible, and that's why her body looks quite unbelievable.

So I guess the bottom (hah) line is, I like Sheik's new design because it makes her a believeable character, while Samus looks like she does only to please men.

R0Y

Smash Master
You're honest, I appreciate that very much. :-)

I don't think anyone should feel uncomfortable as long as we keep a respectful tone. :) All women (and men, hah hah) have butts after all. However, I feel that the reason Samus's butt looks like it does is to maximize sex appeal for the male gaze. I would like to see it depicted more like in line with the rest of her body - which means smaller. But I guess guys like when it looks that big, no?

The thing I like with Sheik is that she proves that just because she's a woman doesn't mean she has huge boobs and a large butt. Sheik has curves too, but they make sense for her body type - they don't look out of place.

What I'm saying is that there's of course nothing wrong with different body types. Some women are really curvy, but - and this is an important point - then the rest of their bodies are also plumper. For example, if a real women had Samus's boobs and buttocks, the rest of her body would most likely be a little plump, too. But Samus is only made to look as sexy as possible, and that's why her body looks quite unbelievable.

So I guess the bottom (hah) line is, I like Sheik's new design because it makes her a believeable character, while Samus looks like she does only to please men.
Yeah I see where you're coming from. Why not both? I agree that a Samus in real life would probably be bigger, but there's a lot of variation in how and where different human beings store fat. I can't help but like Samus' design but I understand 100 percent why it bothers you and you prefer Sheik's.

Btw I'm more likely to use Sheik too, unless Zamus is really OP, lol.

kuk

Smash Cadet
Also another reason I like Sheik's new design... she looks so angry (since I can't use inappropriate words here) in some screenshots... almost a bit evil! :p

There are lots of great women in SSB4 though. :) I've not yet settled for a favourite...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik's design in Hyrule Warriors is clearly superiour to her Smash design I feel.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Sheik's design in Hyrule Warriors is clearly superiour to her Smash design I feel.
This. Most of the Hyrule Warrior designs are superior to the Smash designs. Ganondorf specifically.

It weird. The Legend of Zelda is my favorite game serious of all time so I always thought I would flip if anyone took liberties with any of the character designs but after seeing what Koei Tecmo did I kind of wish Sakurai would have gotten a little more creative when it came to characters looking like Super Smash Brother characters instead of looking like "Link was taken from TP and put into Smash" or "Samus was taken from Metroid and put into Smash."

Also, I find it weird how ZSS standard costume seems to have more "tone" and "definition" in her muscles then her alternate sport custom. You'd think she would have a little bit more defined abs.

Last edited:

Jones534

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5086-1162-9738
I prefer this design for her than her melee design. Her fighting pose in this game kinda cool as well.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
I'm not disappointed that her design didn't change much, as I liked her Brawl design as well. Though, I think it would have been pretty cool if she had her Hyrule Warriors design as others have stated.

Top Bottom