• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Sheik's new design?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

(SSB4 Sheik on the left and Brawl on the right)

Out of all of the other veterans revealed so far Sheik seems to be on the lower end of the totem pole in terms of visual updates... Other than a few detail/color tweaks here and there she looks largely the same as her Brawl counterpart, which isn't a bad thing at all since I loved her Brawl design. When you look at the other pics of her she also seems a bit more muscular and angry looking now, while her Brawl design made her look more curvy and serene.

Overall I'm glad Brawl's design is back and shinier than ever but I would have preferred a slightly more feminine looking Sheik than the one we have now. Regardless I am SO glad my Melee main is back! ^.^

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
is she getting paler?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
UGLY! She has an unibrow, and looks more like a man than ever. At least Brawl's design made her look more femine and stuff...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This looks like an unibrow to me:

Not that without it she'd be anything prettier....

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Here chainmail is a bit weird this time around.

I like the blue though. I always imagine that its Titianium maille, because that would achieve such a color so nicely. Also because I imagine it would just about have to be for her to do everything she does.

The turban is too big.

Gombukelp

Smash Apprentice
I agree with most of the things in your original post, The Real Gamer. I would have preferred the more feminine looking Sheik as well but I am still pleased with her design overall. It's beautiful! I feel like she looks more focused and aware of her surroundings rather than angry per se though. It makes her look more bad ass in my eyes.

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Considering Zelda is trying to look like a male, it's not that horrible that she looks less feminine. She still looks like she has breasts though, they're just subtle... So she looks like a woman who is trying to hide them by wearing constricting clothing.

Looks good if you ask me.

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Not much of a difference, but I love it.

fix'd
The Sheikah have this nasty habit of concealing their identity, even to the point of deliberately posing as somebody they're not.

It COULD be impa.

This might explain why sheik can't transform into Zelda.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
I don't really understand the people complaining about Sheik looking more masculine. Anybody who has actually played Ocarina of Time knows that Sheik is supposed to be a man, thus keeping Ganondorf's suspicions about Sheik and Zelda being the same person down. A masculine looking Sheik is a correct looking Sheik, and I really like the new design, despite the fact that the changes are small overall.

_Sheik

Smash Lord
They made her more masculine like in Melee.
It wouldn't have been so much of a flaw for her if they made her as serene as she was in Melee (we all remember how gorgeous it was when she played her harp during the Melee intro).

negativeX

Smash Apprentice
Oh for crying out loud all the ZSS people were complaining ZSS's too womanly and you guys are complaining Sheik is too masculine? Is there no middle ground? :troll:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Here's a question for everyone:
WHY THE **** DOESN'T SHEIK USE THAT DANG SWORD/KNIVE/DAGGER/BLADE ON HER HIP AT ALL?! or am I the only one who cares that a Ninja has a ninja weapon that they don't use EVER? seriously.......

more on the topic, I think Sheik just looks way better overall. I think the turban is more detailed which is nice, and her leg wrappings look different. her hair seems a little more blond to me, which fits since she debuted when Nintendo seemed to have a thing for blondes....

Honestly I think the only thing that rather annoys me so far, detail-wise, in the new Smash is just the fact that Sheik still doesn't use her blade. at all.
ZSS looks incredible (and no I'm not talking about "TEH BEWBZ").
THANK YOU FOR EXISTING!!!

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
WHY THE **** DOESN'T SHEIK USE THAT DANG SWORD/KNIVE/DAGGER/BLADE ON HER HIP AT ALL?! or am I the only one who cares that a Ninja has a ninja weapon that they don't use EVER? seriously.......

more on the topic, I think Sheik just looks way better overall. I think the turban is more detailed which is nice, and her leg wrappings look different. her hair seems a little more blond to me, which fits since she debuted when Nintendo seemed to have a thing for blondes....

Honestly I think the only thing that rather annoys me so far, detail-wise, in the new Smash is just the fact that Sheik still doesn't use her blade. at all.

Oh my lord, I never even noticed she had a knife, dagger, sword thing

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
......I can't tell if you are serious, being sarcastic, or making a joke of some kind. (legit statement, it's hard to tell what one means on the internet sometimes)
No I'm serious, I've never noticed that, even in all my time fangasming over the pics on the site

Maikou

Smash Ace
No I'm serious, I've never noticed that, even in all my time fangasming over the pics on the site
O.O Wow....I kinda thought it was obvious. Not insulting you or anyone else who didn't notice it, but I thought the whole thing was kinda obvious. I mean, just in the shots from Sheik's left you can see its scabbard/sheath. in Brawl, during gameplay when I faced left, I always noticed the whole knife/bladed weapon. in fact ever since I first saw Brawl Sheik, I've noticed the blade on her hip. in the new Smash, with the updated graphics and all (that 3DS pic of Sheik behind Zelda looks so amazing to me, just in terms of normal 3DS picture quality. Gameplay looks better, naturally, but still amazing for a handheld pic), it looks even more obvious and even more like a Ninja blade/sword/knife. (I'm not completely sure what kind of blade it is, but it's definitely around short sword/knife/dagger size and is definitely in the same class as those weapons) I know it's not the first thing one notices about her, but I still think it's kinda hard to miss.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
O.O Wow....I kinda thought it was obvious. Not insulting you or anyone else who didn't notice it, but I thought the whole thing was kinda obvious. I mean, just in the shots from Sheik's left you can see its scabbard/sheath. in Brawl, during gameplay when I faced left, I always noticed the whole knife/bladed weapon. in fact ever since I first saw Brawl Sheik, I've noticed the blade on her hip. in the new Smash, with the updated graphics and all (that 3DS pic of Sheik behind Zelda looks so amazing to me, just in terms of normal 3DS picture quality. Gameplay looks better, naturally, but still amazing for a handheld pic), it looks even more obvious and even more like a Ninja blade/sword/knife. (I'm not completely sure what kind of blade it is, but it's definitely around short sword/knife/dagger size and is definitely in the same class as those weapons) I know it's not the first thing one notices about her, but I still think it's kinda hard to miss.
I think it kinda blends in with what she's wearing so I though it was just some kind of decoration

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
I think it kinda blends in with what she's wearing so I though it was just some kind of decoration
That makes sense. Though I still have that same question: Why doesn't she use it? the new Smash makes it way more obvious that it's a bladed weapon, yet she still doesn't seem to use it......I just think it's odd to have a weapon and never utilize it in some way, unless I missed something in her animations in Brawl...

Edit: and watch, next thing you know Sakurai will post a pic of Sheik slicing someone to bits with the thing on Miiverse/Smash 4 website sometime soon. (That's honestly just my luck)

Edit 2: I just found out that Sheik's blade is actually based off of a Japanese sword called a "wakizashi". it's apparently a small Katana-like short sword or dagger, used by Samurai, Japanese swordsmen, and possibly Ninja. well at least we know the origins now! :)

Edit 3 (that's a lot of edits in a very short time, isn't it?): OK, so Sheik's little blade she never uses might also be based upon another Japanese blade called the tanto, which is also a short sword that Samurai apparently once used. I think the design seems closer to the images I'm seeing now of the tanto than the wakizashi.

Last edited:

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
Maybe, she will use the blade in her new FS :)

On the topic of her new look, I like it, it's kind of a middle ground between Brawl and Melee, hopefully we get a harp taunt :grin:

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
Maybe, she will use the blade in her new FS :)

On the topic of her new look, I like it, it's kind of a middle ground between Brawl and Melee, hopefully we get a harp taunt :grin:
Yes, hope for a Harp taunt :grin:

Let's hope she does, otherwise I'll be a little annoyed by lack of creativity. (I think it's just a bit lazy to make Sheik have the same FS as Zelda, especially now that they're seperate from each other)

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
UGLY! She has an unibrow, and looks more like a man than ever. At least Brawl's design made her look more femine and stuff...
Dude....that's no unibrow

You're not the only one. I've noticed as well and was wondering if it was part of TP before Sheik's character was cut from the game.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
1: how does anyone mistake THIS:

For a freaking unibrow?
2: now you've got me thinking......I wonder what TP could've been like if Sheik appeared at some point.......
She probably would've disguised herself as sheik to hide from zant, maybe it would give some more importance to impaz. i's a real shame sheik didn't make it into the game

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
Well, as others have said before me, anyone that has played OoT knows Sheik's presents "himself" as a male character, and even thought EVERYBODY knows Sheik is in reality princess zelda in disguise, IT SHOULD NOT BE SO OBVIOUS.

THIS is something difficult to tell the gender, but if one were to take a guess i'm sure they would say "Male"​

"Wait a tick, this ain't no man!"​

Really, as much as we know for ages Sheik's true identity, the character should still have the mysterious air to it, and, as many will disagree, i think adding more masculinity to Sheik's character will make it easier to distinguish the completely different character Sheik is, instead of a simple "zelda alternative costume". Because Sheik IS more than Zelda wearing a Sheikah suit, the behavior and personality of the character should also come into question in a time like this.

And although i like Brawl's TP Sheik design, they could pick more inspiration from the OoT model you know, the game where Sheik actually APPEARED?

P.S. As far as i've seen the new model for SSB4 looks very good, they picked the good things from the Brawl design and updated it to look a little less feminine, i like it. (people, please understand Sheik is not supposed to be a sexy character, for god's sake)

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
She probably would've disguised herself as sheik to hide from zant, maybe it would give some more importance to impaz. i's a real shame sheik didn't make it into the game
Yeah, it really is. would've LOVED to maybe have had a system like Wind Waker or Majora's Mask Kafei/Anju sidequest where you got to play as Sheik for a while. maybe actually be able to JUMP? You know, that gives me an idea for a Zelda fanfic.....(For Fanfiction haters, don't worry: I stick to canon as much as I can, so don't worry I won't **** up and make a yaoi/yuri fic, or murder the timeline, or fail miserably at the character's personalities)

I suddenly really want Zelda and/or Sheik playable next Zelda game. Maybe Zelda U or Hyrule Warriors can grant that wish......maybe....

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah, it really is. would've LOVED to maybe have had a system like Wind Waker or Majora's Mask Kafei/Anju sidequest where you got to play as Sheik for a while. maybe actually be able to JUMP? You know, that gives me an idea for a Zelda fanfic.....(For Fanfiction haters, don't worry: I stick to canon as much as I can, so don't worry I won't **** up and make a yaoi/yuri fic, or murder the timeline, or fail miserably at the character's personalities)

I suddenly really want Zelda and/or Sheik playable next Zelda game. Maybe Zelda U or Hyrule Warriors can grant that wish......maybe....
I feel like they could do something really cool with zelda's magic and either sheik or impa could have some sort of stealth sections

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
P.S. As far as i've seen the new model for SSB4 looks very good, they picked the good things from the Brawl design and updated it to look a little less feminine, i like it. (people, please understand Sheik is not supposed to be a sexy character, for god's sake)
I don't think anyone's asking for her to look sexy I just prefer the slender Brawl model to the muscular SSB4 model.

I understand that Sheik now resembles the OoT look more but ever since I found out Sheik was Zelda's alter ego when I was little I always assumed Sheik was female, regardless of how masculine she tries to look. I'm not even mad though cause other than the muscles she still resembles her Brawl look, which is awesome.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I feel like they could do something really cool with zelda's magic and either sheik or impa could have some sort of stealth sections
Stealth in Zelda hasn't really worked out before, but that might be because we've never been playing a ninja. :D I would LOVE to totally sneak up behind a regular enemy and then kill them with epic Ninja moves from nowhere. (or just impale them with a hand. that'd be awesome. and since it's a Zelda enemy, it'd just go poof and no more enemy :D)
I don't think anyone's asking for her to look sexy I just prefer the slender Brawl model to the muscular SSB4 model.

I understand that Sheik now resembles the OoT look more but ever since I found out Sheik was Zelda's alter ego when I was little I always assumed Sheik was female, regardless of how masculine she tries to look. I'm not even mad though cause other than the muscles she still resembles her Brawl look, which is awesome.
If I'm honest, as long as the design doesn't stray too far from Brawl or Ocarina of Time for Sheik, I will always love the design :)

Top Bottom