• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Sheik's new design?

DeOnde

Smash Cadet
I don't think anyone's asking for her to look sexy I just prefer the slender Brawl model to the muscular SSB4 model.

I understand that Sheik now resembles the OoT look more but ever since I found out Sheik was Zelda's alter ego when I was little I always assumed Sheik was female, regardless of how masculine she tries to look. I'm not even mad though cause other than the muscles she still resembles her Brawl look, which is awesome.
That's the point, the slender look they gave her/"him" makes it too clear that Sheik is in fact a female character, i did not mean to say that they should turn Sheik into a buffed overmanly character, only make it so that her female identity is less obvious. And, as unintentional as it may have been, the slender look from brawl did turn Sheik into a sexualized character, i think they could work better with her agility moves without giving the character looks that are too feminine, but they also should still keep a little of a "feminine air" on the character, as Sheik IS Zelda in disguise after all.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
I really like this design of Sheik the best. Don't see the big deal of her looking more masculine, when she supposed to have the appearance of a male.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who thinks the turban also looks bigger and is just wrapped differently? I kinda like it.

And for those wondering why she doesn't use the dagger, Sakurai doesn't want to reprensent realistic weapons if children could get acces to them. That's why there are no guns or knives as items unless it's just cartoony lasers and beams.
The dagger is similar to any knife you can find in your house.

Maikou

Smash Ace
And yet Link has a sword, Marth has a sword, Fox has a gun, Samus has a gun, ZSS has a whip, Pit has two swords, Bowser and Charizard have claws.........

Your argument is invalid, 85.76% of those are realistic weapons with realistic designs.

Plus add to that fact a few other things and you have no argument any more. Sheik could use the dagger to her heart's content.

I think the turban looks tighter, and there's actually a pin keeping it on now. Sakurai loves his details.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
Most people don't have swords or a plasma whip lying around at home..
But I do think Sheik should use her dagger, even if it's only for a taunt.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And yet Link has a sword
Marth has a sword
How many kids do you know with access to swords?

Fox has a gun
Samus has a gun
Or laser guns?

ZSS has a whip
Or plasma whips?

Pit has two swords
Or dual-bladed swords/bows that shoot light arrows?

Bowser and Charizard have claws.........
Or claws?

Your argument is invalid, 85.76% of those are realistic weapons with realistic designs.
Not really. Swords/Bows/energy powered weapons have always been portrayed as more "kid friendly" weapons in fiction (look at Star Wars). If I were to guess why I'd say it's because 1) Most people don't have access to this kind of weaponry and 2) Most of them do not draw blood. They are more rooted in fiction as opposed to real life.

On the other hand realistic weapons such as knives, daggers, and guns with real bullet pellets are always portrayed as more menacing since they are real weapons that are commonly used to kill people. You never hear about some crazy guy slashing people up with a sword and shield or shooting people up with a bow. It's almost always either a gun or a knife/dagger of some sort.

Sheik could use the dagger to her heart's content.
I personally don't have any urge to see Nintendo characters getting slashed/stabbed with daggers, and I'm pretty sure Sakurai and company agrees. This is a game targeted towards kids after all.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Ugh! You're not getting my point! I KNOW IT'S FOR KIDS! in fact I furiously defend the E-Rating! I'm just saying, Sheik has a small sword on her hip, and she should use it! besides, Tetra had a knife/dagger on her in Wind Waker.

and getting slashed with a dagger? please. this is Smash Brothers, where Link and Marth slice people up with their swords all the time. Link uses stabs a lot.

I don't see how Sheik using her blade could POSSIBLY effect the rating. it's not like she'd pull it out and stab you in the neck with it when she grabs you!

Sonic's spikes could be seen as slashing/stabbing in Smash!

I'm just saying, I don't see why the ninja never uses her sword. it's like it's just there to be there!

And Besides that, Brawl confirms Smash to be a spectator event and shows the defeated characters turn into Trophies that are easily revived. Plus we always see the other characters on the Winner screen.

Blood?! Seriously, you are going to use BLOOD in this?! Last I checked, in real life almost ANYTHING can draw blood! With swords and knives, there is no difference but reach! Knives can be kid-friendly too: Look at Ninja Kirby! he throws knives all the time!

Most real weapons can be portrayed in a kid-friendly manner, if Kirby is anything to talk about.
Besides that fact, beloved Nintendo Characters can take slashes. a lot of slashes actually. Pokemon don't get cuts in the games and anime, Kirby never "dies", etc. besides, we can always go to Training Mode and kick the crap outta whoever we want :)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm just saying, I don't see why the ninja never uses her sword. it's like it's just there to be there!
I just gave you a valid explanation on why it's likely the case (which you seemingly ignored).

The rest of your post is just you repeating your earlier sentiments.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
I personally feel it would be out of character to use the blade, and I wouldn't mind if they even removed it from Sheik's model so that people would stop suggesting it to replace IMO, perfectly fine moves.

I mean, when you look at this game, you'll notice almost all the returning characters are retaining 90% of their movesets. So to me it wouldn't make sense for them to feel the need to change Sheik's moveset of all characters.

Honestly, this is just getting a little out of hand. It's just a video game, (Who cares what its rating is.) if someone really couldn't handle Sheik not using the knife, just don't use Sheik.

Maikou

Smash Ace
My original point is just that I don't get WHY it's part of her model if she doesn't use it. Now looking back at Ganondork, it doesn't matter any more.

The rating is very important actually. some parents actually do keep their kids away from M and T rated games, and I'm pretty sure some people won't even give Smash a second glance if they see the T-Rating. I'm just hoping for the first (and technicly second, if you count them as 100% seperate games) E10+ rating in the series. I don't need people demanding "jiggle physics" just because they assume the next game will be T-Rated.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Sheik doesn't use a blade in the original game, unlike Ganondorf so it's not really as important that she does.
And yet Link has a sword, Marth has a sword, Fox has a gun, Samus has a gun, ZSS has a whip, Pit has two swords, Bowser and Charizard have claws.........

Gonna ignore the claws (Charizard and Bowser aren't realistic)... Marth and Link have swords that can be replicated in real life, and look reasonably similar to real swords. Pit's don't look like real-life swords. Fox's gun doesn't look like a real gun. Samus's weapons don't even resemble real technology.

Sakurai himself has said he doesn't want to include realistic looking guns or knives. It might not be motivated by the game rating.

It's also important to note that the US is not the only market for the game, and Sakurai may be reflecting some Japanese sentiments on this issue.

(Also try to calm yourself. I know you're just a kid but try to be a little more mature.)

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Sheik doesn't use a blade in the original game, unlike Ganondorf so it's not really as important that she does.
Gonna ignore the claws (Charizard and Bowser aren't realistic)... Marth and Link have swords that can be replicated in real life, and look reasonably similar to real swords. Pit's don't look like real-life swords. Fox's gun doesn't look like a real gun. Samus's weapons don't even resemble real technology.

Sakurai himself has said he doesn't want to include realistic looking guns or knives. It might not be motivated by the game rating.

It's also important to note that the US is not the only market for the game, and Sakurai may be reflecting some Japanese sentiments on this issue.

(Also try to calm yourself. I know you're just a kid but try to be a little more mature.)
I think snakes in brawl looked rather realistic, also sheik now has grenades and they look pretty realistic

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think snakes in brawl looked rather realistic, also sheik now has grenades and they look pretty realistic
Yeah, Snake's weapons are pretty realistic. I was just disagreeing about considering Samus's weapons realistic. That's just laughable. They're not cartoonish, but they certainly don't look like real weapons.

I disagree about Sheik's grenades. They're wrapped up in cloth or something, which is not... a normal design.

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
Yeah, Snake's weapons are pretty realistic. I was just disagreeing about considering Samus's weapons realistic. That's just laughable. They're not cartoonish, but they certainly don't look like real weapons.

I disagree about Sheik's grenades. They're wrapped up in cloth or something, which is not... a normal design.

The general look of them is still pretty realistic

Maikou

Smash Ace
"Burst Grenades are little bombs that blow up once you pull the pin out." -Sakurai, Super Smash Bros. Direct.
I'm just gonna say that's pretty similar to a real grenade.

To be honest I don't really see how "realistic" Sheik's blade is, but whatever. I just kinda wish it was there for more then just design. It bugs me to have a weapon on me that I can't use. I don't main Sheik by any means, I'm not even a competitive player, but I do play Sheik often enough to know I like her moveset. I'm just curious about the blade.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
You know what would be neat? Giving that little dagger thing at the end of her ponytail a hitbox for one of her moves.

Other than that, I like SSB4 Sheik, but Brawl's actually looks more detail at a glance.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I just gave you a valid explanation on why it's likely the case (which you seemingly ignored).

The rest of your post is just you repeating your earlier sentiments.
Um there are plenty of houses that have swords on display in the house hold that children (if made the effort) could obtain.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Um there are plenty of houses that have swords on display in the house hold that children (if made the effort) could obtain.
I've never heard of someone getting attacked by a sword in modern day society. If you have then more power to you, but it doesn't even compare to the amount of attacks that take place due to knives, guns, and makeshift daggers.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I've never heard of someone getting attacked by a sword in modern day society. If you have then more power to you, but it doesn't even compare to the amount of attacks that take place due to knives, guns, and makeshift daggers.
This is a different argument i was just stating that's such weapons do exist in house holds. If children wont use the sword to stab people why use the knife? most likely the child wont have the balls to do something like that anyways.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Most people have knives, and in the US at least a lot of people have guns. Very few people have swords. It's not the same concern.

Not saying that they're necessarily justified, I'm just explaining how they're different. You can come up with scenarios in which depicting a sword is just as bad an example as knives or guns, but it's just simply a far less common scenario.

Their concern, justified or not, is about similarity to weapons that children might get their hands on.

The realism (:rolleyes:) of Sheik's grenades or Marth's sword is irrelevant to that because almost no children live in households with swords or grenades hanging around and accessible. Meanwhile every week you can read about some kid accidentally shooting a family member. And generally it's not because they meant to. They don't want children to even play with a knife or a gun, get it? It's not about them wanting to discourage children from stabbing or shooting people on purpose.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Most people have knives, and in the US at least a lot of people have guns. Very few people have swords. It's not the same concern.

Not saying that they're necessarily justified, I'm just explaining how they're different. You can come up with scenarios in which depicting a sword is just as bad an example as knives or guns, but it's just simply a far less common scenario.

Their concern, justified or not, is about similarity to weapons that children might get their hands on.

The realism (:rolleyes:) of Sheik's grenades or Marth's sword is irrelevant to that because almost no children live in households with swords or grenades hanging around and accessible. Meanwhile every week you can read about some kid accidentally shooting a family member. And generally it's not because they meant to. They don't want children to even play with a knife or a gun, get it? It's not about them wanting to discourage children from stabbing or shooting people on purpose.
Ah i see so this is from a US stand point. Here in canada we don't here much about shootings and such mostly because we can't have guns without permit and such. Xd

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Don't know where people get that the new Sheik looks "manlier", you guys must be seeing things. Side to side they are exactly the same design, nothing has changed except for a more updated coloring.

Heck, it's just her pose that is different. It doesn't make her look less feminine at all nor muscular.

Am I the only one who sees things as they are?

Last edited:

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
She's appa
Don't know where people get that the new Sheik looks "manlier", you guys must be seeing things. Side to side they are exactly the same design, nothing has changed except for a more updated coloring.

Heck, it's just her pose that is different. It doesn't make her look less feminine at all or bulkier.
rently more muscualr, I don't see it but whatever

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

Heck, it's just her pose that is different. It doesn't make her look less feminine at all nor muscular.

Am I the only one who sees things as they are?
She's more muscular now, particularly around her ribs and thighs. Her Brawl model is noticeably more curvy and without as much muscle definition.

It's a subtle change, but large enough to see the difference.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Is still the same though. In her Brawl pic her torso is standing straighter while in her SSB4 one she is bending her stomach forwards. It's just a matter of perspective.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Just look at various Brawl Sheik pics and then go to the Sheik image gallery and you'll get a better idea of what I mean.

For example:

I liked her a little more feminine looking like in Brawl. Not for creeper reasons, just the concept of a woman disguised as a man is more interesting when you can tell she's actually a woman.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I like how she looks more masculine, just like she was in OoT.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
I like the knife as a design choice. Other than maybe using it as a Final Smash I don't see it fitting into her moveset. Much like how I can't see Captain Falcon using his gun, but it looks cool on him.

Morbi

Scavenger
I feel as though Sheik looks more masculine; however, my sister believes she looks more feminine. The only thing that bothers me about the design is the turban. It looks WAY TOO BIG.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
we should do some model comparison because as of late when im playing PM im noticing hat they really dont look that different.

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
About the 'Sheik not using her knife' thing... Snake and Captain Falcon did the same thing in Brawl. They had gun in their holsters, but never used them. It was more like an accessory on the model rather than an actual weapon to be used.

Zeldaisthegirl

Smash Journeyman
1305158183ZOOT_PR_050811_05.jpg

I think brawl Sheik was better, this one is too manly looking. Sheik is supposed to be a little curvaceous- She's not a man she's supposed to be "Shiek"
and whats with making all the Zelda characters look constantly angry, its kind of annoying actually.

Last edited:

OwenMaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
OwenMaster3DHD
3DS FC
0516-7651-4373
Well, I like her new design

Last edited:
Top Bottom