• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data This Theatre Stinks - The Lucas Video Thread

River.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Riverage
3DS FC
2105-9000-6115
Hi guys !
I'm a french Lucas player and i've made this combo video. I hope you will like it

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys !
I'm a french Lucas player and i've made this combo video. I hope you will like it
Whoa. Amazing video, your PK Fire spacing and combo strings, D-throw combos, edgeguarding - a heck of a lot of it was really on point. You make Lucas look like PK Death :0

What really put a huge grin on my face though was the Ness edgeguarding. You did a great job forcing him to recover low with PKT2, almost looks easy. Definitely going to take a leaf out of that book for the Ness matchup.

Last edited:

River.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Riverage
3DS FC
2105-9000-6115
Thanks, bro :)
Yeah when you fight a Ness you shall not hesitate to go offstage and mess with him, Lucas got a lot of tools to do so

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
Here's a Lucas ditto I had with a friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyG0sImWePw

This was the 2nd or 3rd match he won in the Lucas ditto (out of like...the 20 we had. All of them were pretty close). I'm the red Lucas, and he's the grey Lucas. Without going into major detail, I feel I rack up damage better than him, but his punishes off-reaction are better than mine (AKA it's easier for him to kill me than vise-versa). I do believe we're both great Lucas mains though. Either way, critiques would be nice. Thanks in advance!

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Here's a Lucas ditto I had with a friend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyG0sImWePw

This was the 2nd or 3rd match he won in the Lucas ditto (out of like...the 20 we had. All of them were pretty close). I'm the red Lucas, and he's the grey Lucas. Without going into major detail, I feel I rack up damage better than him, but his punishes off-reaction are better than mine (AKA it's easier for him to kill me than vise-versa). I do believe we're both great Lucas mains though. Either way, critiques would be nice. Thanks in advance!
You both show some decent understanding of Lucas' fundamental setups and combos. I'll have to examine the video more closely, but my advice for you is to practice your shield-grab and learn what you can punish with it, because you had a lot of opportunities with it. Also that Usmash as he came down was REALLY unsafe, PK Freeze would have been better :)

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
You both show some decent understanding of Lucas' fundamental setups and combos. I'll have to examine the video more closely, but my advice for you is to practice your shield-grab and learn what you can punish with it, because you had a lot of opportunities with it. Also that Usmash as he came down was REALLY unsafe, PK Freeze would have been better :)
Shield-grabbing with Lucas has always been, "eh" to me. I know his tether grab is one of the faster ones (isn't it like...the fastest or 2nd fastest) but it doesn't feel like it has enough range for me. I'm usually scared to go for it because either a. It's too slow and I get hit, or b. It whiffs completely and I catch an Fsmash to the face from 99% of the cast. The strange part is, I'm ususally pretty consistent with my grabs when I'm on offense. I guess I'll just experiment with what I can punish with it.

Also, I did the Usmash for 2 reasons. 1.I thought he'd be in the perfect amount of lag so I can hit it (I probably would've if I threw it out later). 2.The wind was blowing to the right, so I assumed if he did shield it, he'd miss his punish (which he did. Actually, that was a horrible punish on his part either way). PK Freeze wasn't a punish that came to my mind though. It's probably because I don't consider it a good move. Maybe I should start giving it a chance.

Thanks for the tips anyways. If you have anymore tips for me or my friend plz tell me.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
Shield-grabbing with Lucas has always been, "eh" to me. I know his tether grab is one of the faster ones (isn't it like...the fastest or 2nd fastest) but it doesn't feel like it has enough range for me. I'm usually scared to go for it because either a. It's too slow and I get hit, or b. It whiffs completely and I catch an Fsmash to the face from 99% of the cast. The strange part is, I'm ususally pretty consistent with my grabs when I'm on offense. I guess I'll just experiment with what I can punish with it.
Ah, but see that's why you practice. People who are quick to dismiss tether grabs are also quick to dismiss its only benefit over non-tethers - the range. Learn what you can punish with shield-grab and what you can't so you can narrow down what approaches you genuinely need to worry about. It's very important in this meta since shield is godly, and it's snagged me many a B-throw > death :p

Also, I did the Usmash for 2 reasons. 1.I thought he'd be in the perfect amount of lag so I can hit it (I probably would've if I threw it out later). 2.The wind was blowing to the right, so I assumed if he did shield it, he'd miss his punish (which he did. Actually, that was a horrible punish on his part either way). PK Freeze wasn't a punish that came to my mind though. It's probably because I don't consider it a good move. Maybe I should start giving it a chance.

Thanks for the tips anyways. If you have anymore tips for me or my friend plz tell me.
PK Freeze is ahead on Usmash by miles when it comes to endlag, it could have been used to bait an airdodge which you could almost immediately punish, among other things. I'll tell more after I rewatch.

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
Ah, but see that's why you practice. People who are quick to dismiss tether grabs are also quick to dismiss its only benefit over non-tethers - the range. Learn what you can punish with shield-grab and what you can't so you can narrow down what approaches you genuinely need to worry about. It's very important in this meta since shield is godly, and it's snagged me many a B-throw > death :p

PK Freeze is ahead on Usmash by miles when it comes to endlag, it could have been used to bait an airdodge which you could almost immediately punish, among other things. I'll tell more after I rewatch.
I'm not trying to say that I think that tethers are bad/dismiss them, it's just that Lucas has a...different one (obviously I don't mind that but...). It also might be because Doc is my secondary, and opponents have to be pretty close for Doc to get his shield grab off. Either way, I'll probably get better at knowing when I can shield grab after some experimenting/more practice in general.

JesterJaded

Smash Journeyman
I'm not trying to say that I think that tethers are bad/dismiss them, it's just that Lucas has a...different one (obviously I don't mind that but...). It also might be because Doc is my secondary, and opponents have to be pretty close for Doc to get his shield grab off. Either way, I'll probably get better at knowing when I can shield grab after some experimenting/more practice in general.
Here here, it really doesn't make sense how Zair is a mile long but his grab is... Well, discouraging to say the least xD it can make for a fantastic grab bait though, because you know what happens when you frustrate your opponent with shield and you read their grab? Your grab beats theirs cuz range. Then wreck with Dthrow shenanigans. It may be high risk high reward, but I think it's worth it if we can snag 50% off of one Footstool setup. Just don't get predictable with it.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Hey guys! I threw together a quick clip trying to showcase how you can utilize Wavebounced PK Fires with platforms.
It makes some really safe, for instance starting off the match this way creates tons of space. Unfortunately the platforms are not high enough for canceling the PKF with bair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnmEnk1Ptcs

/much love GP

River.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Riverage
3DS FC
2105-9000-6115
Yeah he's a top french player, and might be the best BowJr in EU :)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Pink Fresh had a sweet run at Xanadu this week, getting 3rd after Boss and Mister Eric. He went all Lucas, zero Pit (that I saw).

Pink Fresh :4lucas: vs. Cree :4villagerf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPviA6x6Bm4

Pink Fresh :4lucas: vs. Average Joe :4dk: (Winners' Quarters)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofVdfAnpOPk

Pink Fresh :4lucas: vs. Boss :4luigi: (Winners' Semis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnahodb0LKI

Pink Fresh :4lucas: vs. DunnoBro :4mario: (Losers' Quarters)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GG4gUPEqss

Pink Fresh :4lucas: vs. Kenny :4pikachu: (Losers' Semis)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFfX9cDgKpQ

Pink Fresh :4lucas: vs. Boss :4luigi: (Losers' Finals)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQfyChliFw

Edit: just realised that this run was noted in the social thread a day or two ago... oh well, hopefully this VoD format is convenient!

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Uploaded on terminalkai was a match between Lucas and Meta Knight: https://youtu.be/SztQVCAEfJI. The Lucas player was playing neutral very well and kept Meta Knight in zones he wanted. Enjoy and critique away.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Were you going for the nair lock after the magnet stall, or was that a missed input? You followed-up anyway so it doesn't matter, just wondering.

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Were you going for the nair lock after the magnet stall, or was that a missed input? You followed-up anyway so it doesn't matter, just wondering.
nah man, Havent found a way to use nair lock reliably. Utilt usually works tho, I have been tinkering a bit with a combo which use this, its DIable and Im pretty sure it wont be a true combo - but flashy tho! ;)

Meccs

@Meccs_
So I've been using Lucas since he released, but have rarely used him in tournament except some doubles matches. I really enjoy playing him so I'd like to use him more but I still need a lot of work. I was hoping you guys could help. I went Lucas first round at a weekly yesterday (the match starts at 4 mins) and while I won I still think I played pretty poorly.
http://www.twitch.tv/smashonthehillboston/v/26654668

There's also this from a week ago, decided to try Lucas g3 losers finals cause at that point Ness wasn't working: (match starts at 3 mins)
http://www.twitch.tv/smashonthehillboston/v/25848593

The two main problems that I know I have are:
1) I rarely use Zair. I think this will just come with practice, I'm not used to my character having a Zair (well, no hitbox for the Rope Snake in Brawl) so it's something I just kind of forget about.
2) I cannot get KOs. Ness has plenty of great kill options outside of grab like Nair and Uair, for Lucas it's a struggle for me to get a KO. So while maybe the percents in a match are even or I'm even leading, I end up losing because they survive the first stock so much longer than I do. (like in the Fox match above) Other than Uthrow/Bthrow at the ledge, from what I can tell all his options pretty much have to be a hard read due to most of his moves having ridiculous startup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
Been a while since I've posted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-eyCpAFR90

Set I had with the current best Ryu in Canada, HoH Venom. He's beaten Ally and Holy a couple times so this definitely was a tough fight. No way was I bringing Fox into this LOL. Maybe this could help us learn a bit more about the matchup? I personally think we win it

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Been a while since I've posted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-eyCpAFR90

Set I had with the current best Ryu in Canada, HoH Venom. He's beaten Ally and Holy a couple times so this definitely was a tough fight. No way was I bringing Fox into this LOL. Maybe this could help us learn a bit more about the matchup? I personally think we win it
I don't think we quite win it because Lucas has to kind of work hard for his kills (DI reads at specific percentages, precise spacing to hit with the most effective hitboxes, landing a grab) while Ryu can always just abuse his frame 1 invincible kill move in shoryuken to punish unsafe pressure or kill off of landing a tilt, but the fact that he has to approach Lucas because of his poor neutral game makes it at least doable.

Your keep-away game was on-point in that set and you could tell Ryu was frustrated at the end and started fishing and being unsafe trying to bring it back. The Ryu player looked like he didn't have a lot of Lucas experience, which is understandable due to how little exposure Lucas gets in tournaments. He never tried to mix up the DI after the down throw.

Last edited:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
entertaining set Dong! And tbh Pollo i dont think we lose the Ryu MU badly, for instance Lucas kinda nullifies his projectile (even tho its not a core part of his gameplan).

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
entertaining set Dong! And tbh Pollo i dont think we lose the Ryu MU badly, for instance Lucas kinda nullifies his projectile (even tho its not a core part of his gameplan).
I still say it's about 60:40 in his favor just due to how powerful and rather easy his kill set-ups can be in comparison. Lucas's scariest kill set up (d-throw bair meteor, which can kill characters with weak vertical recoveries at like 30%) still requires the opponent to DI in a specific direction, you reading the DI, then hitting with the correct hitbox to kill, which requires you to be a specific distance from the ledge and its not even guaranteed. Ryu needs a tilt, then a shoryuken to kill with 100% guarantee.

Last edited:

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
I still say it's about 60:40 in his favor just due to how powerful and rather easy his kill set-ups can be in comparison. Lucas's scariest kill set up (d-throw bair meteor) still requires the opponent to DI in a specific direction, you reading the DI, then hitting with the correct hitbox to kill, which requires you to be a specific distance from the ledge and its not even guaranteed. Ryu needs a tilt, then a shoryuken to kill with 100% guarantee.

Imo I literally just wait until Ryu mis-spaces his approach, because he HAS to approach, then grab and get an ez auto combo until hoo hah. the only hard part about hoo hah is having to avert your eyes from the screen to DI watc- uh i mean READING their DI to land upair

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
And being real - I had literally NO Ryu experience prior to this match. The only time I have had fought a Ryu, was actually this same one in a money match that I lost lol. It was only for 2 bucks though so I wasn't really trying to set up a camp ground. Imo we can just like stay away from Ryu, Ryu can't try and focus attack in neutral, and dtilt - grab is true why arent any of you people using it its a good oos option stop going for raw grabs

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Imo I literally just wait until Ryu mis-spaces his approach, because he HAS to approach, then grab and get an ez auto combo until hoo hah. the only hard part about hoo hah is having to avert your eyes from the screen to DI watc- uh i mean READING their DI to land upair
Lmao I should do that more

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
And being real - I had literally NO Ryu experience prior to this match. The only time I have had fought a Ryu, was actually this same one in a money match that I lost lol. It was only for 2 bucks though so I wasn't really trying to set up a camp ground. Imo we can just like stay away from Ryu, Ryu can't try and focus attack in neutral, and dtilt - grab is true why arent any of you people using it its a good oos option stop going for raw grabs
Speaking of focus attack: we have plenty of moves that beat it out. On the ground: two d-tilts, jab combo, up tilt, up smash. In the air: nair. PK Fire also beats it. You can also zair into it then d-tilt, but that's a little riskier if you start the zair too far from the ground

Last edited:

Oblivion

Smash Journeyman
Hi all, I'm Oblivion. PRed in Michigan, most notably for my Ness and Falcon. Both of which characters struggle significantly in certain matchups such as Rosalina and (in)conveniently I have to play one of the best Rosalina's around, Rayquaza, somewhat frequently. Typically I get bodied lol. I decided to lab out Lucas for a while since he's super fun and I decided to try him against Ray the other day. I still lost, but it was one of my best performances against him. Let me know what you think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D-1s1SysEA

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
See my post above yours. Rayquaza is arguably the second best Rosalina player out there and I did quite a bit of work that set.
tks if you have some more, can you send me the replays rosa vs lucas is a hard match up to find on the ineternet

Top Bottom