• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data This Theatre Stinks - The Lucas Video Thread

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer

This area REALLY stinks! Welcome to the New Pork Theatre, entertainment hub of the greatest city in the whole world: New Pork City! This theatre's main purpose is to show off some cool, creative and informative videos that the citizens of New Pork City have put together featuring Lucas. If any citizens have any good Lucas videos, regardless if it is theres or not, they are more than welcome to post the URL so it can be added to the list. Please do not embed the video, for it causes page lag. Thank you.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
We can get this theatre started up now! Grab some popcorn and relax as you watch some currently non-existent Lucas videos!

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Okay, so I feel like an idiot for losing this match. I lost to a Mario that barely moved. I honestly have a really tough time dealing with players that play very defensively, plus I'm still getting used to Lucas. I'm trying to play him like I did in Brawl, but it doesn't always work out.

ilysm

sleepy
I only watched a bit of the video, but it seemed like maybe you should bait him a bit more. Try running up to bait a spotdodge and fade back with a zair, unless they shield in which case jc-grab them.

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
Try watching all of it. I do try to bait him, I just don't do a very good job and the Mario was pretty stubborn. There was a part where I refused to approach him and waited on the other side of the stage. We both stood in place doing nothing because neither of us wanted to approach.

YouReadMyName

Smash Cadet
So I noticed a couple things. 1. You didn't punish a lot of his air dodges into the ground 2. When he landed with dair on you, instead of usmash u should've used utilt. And finally you had plenty of times where you jabbed instead of dmashing

Lemonade Candy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LemonadeAcid
From observations I would say to fix your grabbing ledge problem, cancel your second jump with psi magnet so that way you can grab the ledge safely. One thing that I forget is that you don't have to recover really low under the stage. Pk thunder can help you recover diagonally from almost the blast screen and you have a decent tether to grab said ledge with.

Dont be afraid to down throw as it gives you damage and ways to read your opponent. Pk freeze is a pretty good spacing tool as the recovery seems almost nothing.

Also nair and zair are really good approaches.

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tips
From observations I would say to fix your grabbing ledge problem, cancel your second jump with psi magnet so that way you can grab the ledge safely. One thing that I forget is that you don't have to recover really low under the stage. Pk thunder can help you recover diagonally from almost the blast screen and you have a decent tether to grab said ledge with.

Dont be afraid to down throw as it gives you damage and ways to read your opponent. Pk freeze is a pretty good spacing tool as the recovery seems almost nothing.

Also nair and zair are really good approaches.
Thanks for the tips with ledge grabbing. Although I feel his nair is very unsafe for approaching due to low priority (especially against Ryu, deal lord), but its good against aggressive players cause I can quickly intercept them with nair. His zair is definitely good, I wouldn't say it's great. Players usually dash attack and punish me if I wiff zair. Also for only 2 damage it seems its only good for throwing off your opponent and spacing, other than that Lucas doesn't have a good ranged move to safely pressure the opponent if zair hits or hits shield.... Although a close hit with zair can combo into jab, and if it hits shield sometimes players drop shield to punish and can get hit with jab.

Any more tips?? On a side note, I really can't find much of a use for dair. It's last hit isn't safe on hit from my experience.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Although I feel his nair is very unsafe for approaching due to low priority (especially against Ryu, deal lord), but its good against aggressive players cause I can quickly intercept them with nair.
Nair isn't the safest approach in the world, but you can do fade away nairs or cross up nairs in order to throw off your opponents punishes. The thing with nair is that yes, you may get punished on block, but if you connect the move, you can land a very large combo.

Last edited:

Soma X

Smash Rookie
Okay, so I feel like an idiot for losing this match. I lost to a Mario that barely moved. I honestly have a really tough time dealing with players that play very defensively, plus I'm still getting used to Lucas. I'm trying to play him like I did in Brawl, but it doesn't always work out.

whys the quality so bad? I feel like most phones could do better then that these days, anyway yea defensive players can be a problem for Lucas I noticed this with a Ness I played yesterday He just stood in one spot. The problem I guess is Lucas's slow grab which can be punished extremely hard due to the lag.

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips with ledge grabbing. Although I feel his nair is very unsafe for approaching due to low priority (especially against Ryu, deal lord), but its good against aggressive players cause I can quickly intercept them with nair. His zair is definitely good, I wouldn't say it's great. Players usually dash attack and punish me if I wiff zair. Also for only 2 damage it seems its only good for throwing off your opponent and spacing, other than that Lucas doesn't have a good ranged move to safely pressure the opponent if zair hits or hits shield.... Although a close hit with zair can combo into jab, and if it hits shield sometimes players drop shield to punish and can get hit with jab.

Any more tips?? On a side note, I really can't find much of a use for dair. It's last hit isn't safe on hit from my experience.
Personally I find his dair relatively useless thanks to his bair and nair doing its job better I sometimes forget lucas and ness even have Down airs

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I've been planning on picking Lucas up as a pocket before his release, and I find myself enjoying him even more than I thought I would, and would like to add him to him my team. These are some games I used him with him against friends, and I'd love some feedback on what I can improve on. Each video has one win and one loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYkFYkGMYM :4jigglypuff:& :4kirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-BdO9L5TQ :4yoshi: & :4feroy:

Sorry for bad quality, but I can't afford a capture card at the moment and youtube replay sharing comes in august. Still, if anyone has got the tie to vie these and help a guy out, please do.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Still learning, but I'm loving Lucas so much
Heres a friendly I played against my friend's Ryu on wifi (I got bodied early but it picks up after the first few stocks)

kmac$

Smash Rookie
Still learning, but I'm loving Lucas so much
Heres a friendly I played against my friend's Ryu on wifi (I got bodied early but it picks up after the first few stocks)
I like that combo around 3:08. Good stuff, my friend.

NekoJubei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NekoJubei
3DS FC
4425-1920-7361
Link seems like a really bad MU for Lucas... Or i'm just really bad, or both... yea both. Tips???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Nvx1Ya3n4
For Glory Link huh?
There were moments where you should of grabbed instead of jab
Also against Link's like these, use your F-Smash to deflect their projectiles, it will be a way of saying "if you keep spamming,ill keep deflecting,approach or do nothing".
Also, you can use your PSI Magnet to absorb their entire bomb, once you absorb it, make sure to jump or roll to Magnet Cancel
Hope this helps!

Phill-Bot

Smash Apprentice
For Glory Link huh?
There were moments where you should of grabbed instead of jab
Also against Link's like these, use your F-Smash to deflect their projectiles, it will be a way of saying "if you keep spamming,ill keep deflecting,approach or do nothing".
Also, you can use your PSI Magnet to absorb their entire bomb, once you absorb it, make sure to jump or roll to Magnet Cancel
Hope this helps!
Wait, so even if the bomb itself hits me I can absorb it?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I've been planning on picking Lucas up as a pocket before his release, and I find myself enjoying him even more than I thought I would, and would like to add him to him my team. These are some games I used him with him against friends, and I'd love some feedback on what I can improve on. Each video has one win and one loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGYkFYkGMYM :4jigglypuff:& :4kirby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK-BdO9L5TQ :4yoshi: & :4feroy:

Sorry for bad quality, but I can't afford a capture card at the moment and youtube replay sharing doesn't come until august. Still, if anyone has got the time to view these and help a guy out, please do.
Tips? Sorry for the bump, but I feel really anxious for all the help I can get?

kmac$

Smash Rookie
Tips? Sorry for the bump, but I feel really anxious for all the help I can get?
I'll have to watch more later, but I watched the first Yoshi match and don't recall you using your throws at all. A lot of combos I've seen on here start with a down throw, so it may be worth practicing spacing for grabs and following up down throws with different air attacks.

O Rai

Smash Rookie

Short but sweet, just a new fun way to terrorize people as lucas (a new challenge: Have YOU killed with PK Freeze yet?)

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I'll have to watch more later, but I watched the first Yoshi match and don't recall you using your throws at all. A lot of combos I've seen on here start with a down throw, so it may be worth practicing spacing for grabs and following up down throws with different air attacks.
Might wanna watch it and the other games again, cause I did in fact try to use the throws. Combo'd at least twice with Dthrow, and killed off Yoshi's last two stocks with Bthrow. There were also quite a few other times in the match where I tried to grab him, I just missed them and got punished (it does mean I need to be better about using the grab though). One thing I did learn (or rather remember) from re-watching this though, is that I really gotta stop using the Usmash, I rarely ever land it n most of my matches and I get punished almost every single time I use it. But I'm used to playing characters with really good Usmashes (:4megaman::4greninja::4pit::4charizard:), so it'll take time to get out of this habit.

AirJordans

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
haventthewit
Switch FC
SW-6898-5786-4663
https://youtu.be/fSUzBmjjHoU

Little montage I made of highlights of my first week with Lucas. Love Lucas <3

WARNING: Potato quality due to no working computer nor capture card to begin with. Made entirely on my iPhone. Brace yourself for the mediocre

Last edited:

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Hey guys just a reminder that in bold letters they have at the top, PLEASE DO NOT EMBED FOR IT LAGS THE PAGE, even if a thumbnail does usually garner more views. Thank you!

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Just wanted to point out that NAKAT released a Lucas tutorial video on youtube. Most of the stuff in the video is stuff I assume most people on these boards already know, but it's definitely worth getting a top player's perspective on how to play this character. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69CPDBZnS74

Top Bottom