• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data This Theatre Stinks - The Lucas Video Thread

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Thank you very much! I highly appreciate your comment.
I still need to get the hang of wavebouncing, the inputs havn't "clicked" with me just yet! Well, I'm learning and improving (hopefully).
No problems, we are one community! ;) Basicly do a PK Fire in the opposite direction you want it to go, and then flick the controlstick after releasing B, like a perfect pivot. Smashcorner have done a great tutorial on this on youtube, in which he talks about B-sticking aswell! :)

Ciaw

Smash Rookie
Hi guys here is my NEW Combo Video with Lucas in this Smash 4. I main him since Brawl and I hope you will appreciate it. Im not very good at editing :) but it's cool! And nice to watch!

K3H

Smash Cadet
This was really good. I had no idea that Dair had actually use, as well as mixing in tilts after jabbing. I always panic spam, and do the full combo.

Ciaw

Smash Rookie
Thanks bro!
Well if you dont know how to kill at high % you can Dair and Up Smash or mixup with something else. It works.

But I see that Dair is not better than the Brawl version.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
No problems, we are one community! ;) Basicly do a PK Fire in the opposite direction you want it to go, and then flick the controlstick after releasing B, like a perfect pivot. Smashcorner have done a great tutorial on this on youtube, in which he talks about B-sticking aswell! :)
thanks a lot, this description really helped! I cannot pull it off consistently, yet, but I feel like my Lucas game has improved a little bit.
I got some more footage:

I hope i have improved since last time...

Cryz

Smash Cadet
@ Lukingordex Lukingordex
Nice match!
So my analysis:

-Careful with your grab it's laggy so use it wisely. That MK was attacking with Dash attack, it may seem punisheable but it's not, so he was basically baiting for a grab. Then you were trying to grab, he rolled and punished you (4:49, 7:12).
- Landing nair doesn't have enough hitstun to follow with a grab, he rolled away and punished you for that (6:25).
- You land with attacks too close to the opponent sometimes and you get punished for it (5:15 and 5:58).
-You get punished for misplaced PKs (4:54, 6:54).
-You got rekt everytime you went offstage with these retreat wavebouce PKs (5:02, 6:49, 7:16, 7:25).
-Magnet stalls gave time to the opponent to catch you up and hit you hard everytime.
-Down smash was not used properly: 5:50 you tried to punish him when he was landing, it's too slow for that, he had the time to shield, roll and dash attack. Then at 7:05 you tried it to punish him when he was at the ledge except you were too close to the edge to cover the rolling getup and got punished after. if you try to edgeguard, try to cover all the options, don't stay this close to the edge.
-i know fsmash is good and fast but MK's moves are all faster, you get punished but his dash attack when trying to throw a raw fsmash at 6:16. And this happens again at 7:19 because you thought you could punish his dair, fsmash is not fast enough for that.
-Dont try to challenge his upair either, at 6:19 you tried to dair but you ended up losing.
- you didn't punish some of his move really well, he was landing on plateforms and you let him recover (5:40,5:50). you could've naired him or maybe running upsmash since he was on a plateform.
-i saw one zair in the whole match, its safer than PK, you should use this spacing tool more.
-really nice spacing in the middle of the match, you were keeping your opponent away really nicely.
-that retreating upB was smart.
-you were moving nicely, no rolling unlike your opponent. you punished his rolls sometimes with back air, risky but nice when you get it.

Overall:
MK is tough for lucas because he's a rushdown character, he's played very aggressive. it's difficult for lucas to keep him away. He is very good at edgeguarding, punishing laggy moves with his fast dash attack and tilts.
He has good mobility on the ground and in the air too, his aerials are very quick so don't try to challenge them and try to retreat safely. I know it's hard because in the match you seemed to have trouble landing everytime but you need to stay away in the air or you will lose.
You can't edgeguard him easily because his UpB has a hitbox and is difficult to catch. don't go offstage trying to spike him, you will end up getting bodied. trying to rack up some dmg with upB could be the safest option.
Then when he's grabbing the ledge try to cover the options and mix it up, if you read a getup attack shield and go for jab, he will fall off again. if you read a jump getup try a nair, if he gets up normally try some dtilts into grab or smashes IDK.
You have to be patient and wait for a punish, space the opponent until he makes a mistake.

Points to work on:

Ledge coverage options.
Spacing and projectile game overall (you need to know when to use PKs properly to not get punished)
Punish game
Recovery (2 SD's) and also mixing you options to get back on stage (you got punished because you were tethering the ledge then jump everytime).
-Play more patiently (sometimes, you were landing in front of the opponent, retreat and get some space, lucas needs some room to play good)

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
that feeling when 2x bair + Usmash worked

also, psi magnet kill

PK Drako

Smash Rookie
Hey guys i have already did mi first :4lucas: montage:

I used the youtube upload form the wii u and maybe it's a little bit ****ty but i think it's good.
Enjoy it :b:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
After a short hiatus I played some games with a friend yesterday - it resulted in three plays that i decided to upload at least, Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h9u77UIzJI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seGcXY47Afw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvFy2Qk2ylk

PS: Come on guys, OP says no embedding and there is actually a post on this page stating it aswell..
DAMN, I really need to work on my snake game it seems. I'm loving pk freeze on falcon. so rewarding.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Hey guys. Just wanted to pop in and say that from now on all videos must be linked via URL and not embedded.

Embedding videos causes page lag and that really sucks. I'm going to start cracking down on people who are embedding their videos from now on, so just a heads up.

Besides that, keep em coming! I've seen some great videos so far. :4lucas:

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qn3sy8swq8

Here's a legitimate video of me using Lucas in a tournament against a Sonic player, hopefully this can spark up some type of interest to use him in competition!
(oh yeah also r8 my lucas pls lucas boards)
((also lost in a lucas ditto to blacktwins in the next set but uh lets ignore that))

Last edited:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Hey SpaceDong, saw a couple of your tournament videos a while ago and it looks like your Lucas is getting sharp! :) I Like the Doublejump dair fair pressure at 8:10

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms
Hey SpaceDong, saw a couple of your tournament videos a while ago and it looks like your Lucas is getting sharp! :) I Like the Doublejump dair fair pressure at 8:10
Thanks dude. I just wish I could get kills more reliably (I still have no idea where the heck the bair sweetspot is and it's always hit or miss when I land a bair)

I just want my Lucas to get good enough to the point where I can switch between Fox/Lucas completely reliably lol

Nose

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jecolo
i like your lucas spacedong
i think you could use dsmash more, but perhaps i am misled to it's versatility in the neutral due to for glory shenanigans
good for aggressive characters who space religiously, but easily punished
can be good as a mix up

i use utilt more than you as well
but we both enjoy dair as a pressure and spacing tool
i also liked the dj dair to fair, that was nice
i think you can be a bit more aggressive in your edgeguarding, lucas really shines there
it doesn't hurt to go out there all the way

pk thunder 2 shenanigans offstage with a stock lead are also something i'm looking into
lucascide for a stock is for sure doable and less easy to read than something like ganoncide

i like your nairs, i hope that if your opponent read your approach and shielded that you'd land behind them
same with approaching dair/bair

how does zair work for extending combos? better for those low to the ground because fair works just as well otherwise and is faster

dthrow stuff is fun
dthrow uair regrab is pr good
but dthrow nair nair uair is reliable when your opponent catches on
i like the dair attempts out of dthrow at higher percents and to follow nair with instead of another nair/fair finisher

StinkyHands

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K380qVeqknA please check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIxua_rFhg

1st link is a lucas vs kirby rematch, with a bair spike finish. The second link is the original match, that ended with a free bair spike after an air dodge read.

edit: I love all of you guys for playing Lucas. I love him in this game, and I'm so happy you guys do too. The videos are all awesome and I love watching everyone's different take on how they play Lucas. It makes me happy. Keep it up!

edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIpClKLFpg OMG DIRRRRTTTT

Last edited:

KaptenFullkorn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Magnetgoat
Thanks dude. I just wish I could get kills more reliably (I still have no idea where the heck the bair sweetspot is and it's always hit or miss when I land a bair)

I just want my Lucas to get good enough to the point where I can switch between Fox/Lucas completely reliably lol
Yeah you do have a Fox, right? I was thinking that the first time i saw your Lucas, "wasnt that a fox player?" haha!

Im still not 100 % sure of the sweetspot on bair, but the more you use it ofc the better you'll know the move, I noticed yesterday that you dont need many frames to overlap to get the spike tho lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UHJdGG9xz4

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K380qVeqknA please check this out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JIxua_rFhg

1st link is a lucas vs kirby rematch, with a bair spike finish. The second link is the original match, that ended with a free bair spike after an air dodge read.

edit: I love all of you guys for playing Lucas. I love him in this game, and I'm so happy you guys do too. The videos are all awesome and I love watching everyone's different take on how they play Lucas. It makes me happy. Keep it up!

edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RIpClKLFpg OMG DIRRRRTTTT
God that spike box is weird.

Son~

Smash Rookie
Heres a tournament match of me. It was the deciding game for who continues into Top 16. This guy is our premiere DK player. Never played him before. Only other DK there other than M2k. They spelled my tag wrong :(

Last edited:

Tommy - S.N.

http://i.imgur.com/QAKFpPF.gif <--- DAZ ME :]]]
NNID
TheTommy10200
Heres a tournament match of me. It was the deciding game for who continues into Top 16. This guy is our premiere DK player. Never played him before. Only other DK there other than M2k. They spelled my tag wrong :(
You did really well though in that set. I also like how you use PK Fire to retreat instead of to approach which is imo a much better use for it.

Last edited:

SpaceDong

Smash Cadet
NNID
KRKFilms

You have a very good Lucas! I'm actually really impressed by it. Just watch those airdodges, it looks like its a habit of yours. Same with those rolls, I noticed a couple times you rolled right into an attack.

Also, when landing, because how floaty Lucas is, just try to land away from your opponent instead of landing with an attack. Always reset to neutral (unless your opponent actively jumps at you, then you can attack them. They can't shield punish that lol)

Of course, you lost the set because you weren't able to tech. Work on that as well! No worries haha.

Also, you should utilize dtilt a bit more. At high percent (and mid percent) it leads into a grab, and the grab cannot whiff if you time it right. It's very good for getting a kill confirm!

but yeah son your Lucas is legit, how did you do at that tournament anyways?

Son~

Smash Rookie
You did really well though in that set. I also like how you use PK Fire to retreat instead of to approach which is imo a much better use for it.
I agree. I think Pk fire is so god-like in general. And thank you!

You have a very good Lucas! I'm actually really impressed by it. Just watch those airdodges, it looks like its a habit of yours. Same with those rolls, I noticed a couple times you rolled right into an attack.

Also, when landing, because how floaty Lucas is, just try to land away from your opponent instead of landing with an attack. Always reset to neutral (unless your opponent actively jumps at you, then you can attack them. They can't shield punish that lol)

Of course, you lost the set because you weren't able to tech. Work on that as well! No worries haha.

Also, you should utilize dtilt a bit more. At high percent (and mid percent) it leads into a grab, and the grab cannot whiff if you time it right. It's very good for getting a kill confirm!

but yeah son your Lucas is legit, how did you do at that tournament anyways?
It's funny you listed like all my bad habits lol. I'm aware of them, to much time spent in For Glory ;_;

I worked on the tech window for that grab today in the lab actually. For some reason in tournament I just could not tech the stage. I'm normally pretty good at teching the stage. I was able to get it pretty consistent in the lab, so I'm not really sure what was up. Need to git gud lol.

I ended up getting 3rd in my pool just shy of top 16 bracket. Which is what I was aiming for. Kind of sucks I didn't make it, but he's a great player. I'm not mad about it

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Please tell me how you footstool after down throw, I can never get it to work. :/

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
This was a really cool combo video! Lots of great plays, definitely gonna pick some things up from this.

I'd recommend posting this in the video thread rather than having it as it's own separate thing, however.

Top Bottom