• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This Is How We Roll.... Dodge. (the pit mains style compendium)

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
All right guys, ill actually edit mine in or do it as another post because i have work. but here is the idea, now go forth and obey it to the letter

if i started a thread where everyone is allowed only 1 post, and that post would consist of all of your personal strategies and techniques and how you handle certain situations and such (in other words how you play pit) who would participate? this would not be MU specific unless you put in some of your own MU specific knowledge (i would probably mention some stuff about falco for example). this would just be how play pit/think he should be played. you would be allowed to edit your posts sure but if anyone says more than their one granted post (especially a "you are wrong, do this" post) i will have kuro eliminate it from my thread.

is anyone down for this? and i would expect a lot of txt from you guys, this would be the true ultimate guide for pit's current metagame, because it would be how us current pit's play down to the T. if kuro, luckay, and ptzr at least agree to this, i will start the thread because we (me luckay and ptzr anyways) are the most tourney active pit's in the US besides koolaid and kiraflax and those 2 are hard to get in contact with.
The Maharba Style Pit

allright, i basically just covered sections of stuff in no real order. sorry but without further ado......

Recovery

*note, every time i am forced to the ledge, i plank for a bit. there is no reason not too*

-Above the stage
When i recover from up high there are a few different ways i like to get down. But before i do that, i like to start a glide. with a glide i like to glide to the oposite side of the stage near always. it forces the opponent to move after you. now if you have good placement you can dive directly onto a ledge which is one of my favorite things to do. also, you can just glide to the other side, fall, and then WOI under the stage to the other side, this is my favorite way of getting back to at least the ledge. On another note, I also have really gotten into diveboming (the WOI one) to the stage because getting down the cancel timing is easy and it is just so fast that it usually is really safe.

-From a horizantal Medium
from here unless i can safe glide or WOI onto the stage, i will either just grab the ledge and plank or just go straight to the below options.

-Below the stage
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER WHEN RECOVERING BELOW THE STAGE IS THIS. IF YOUR OPPONENT IS NEAR THAT HALF OF THE STAGE, IT IS ALWAYS SAFER TO JUST GO UNDER TO THE OTHER SIDE, OR AT LEAST FAKE IT HALFWAY AND TURN BACK. seriously, not even MK can catch us in WOI, nobody can. and as long as you aren't dumb when you weave projectiles shot under the stage after you, you will always get there at least long enough to plank a bit. I've seen so many pits get gimped very unnecessarily because they tried to challenge an opponent and take that ledge when there is a perfectly open ledge on the other side.

The Maharba Battle Style
To start off, if i can help it, i NEVER EVER (this is no longer true, see my edit directly below) approach. pit is the only character in this game whose ability to force the approach cannot be challenged. He outcamps every single character in this game with no exception. also, while camping, i stay near a ledge so that way even if i can't push them back/start a string while onstage, i fall onto the ledge where my defensive capability is buffed to an extreme degree due to our top notch planking capabilities and procede to put in some work.

Edit:
as i have gotten better i no longer camp even when i am down. i have learned that there are times when you have to go offensive. but smartly. some of the ways i approach when we are both at neutral stage positions is run up to them and immediately roll behind them. this is a great surprise when used sparingly. don't get predictable with it or you will get punished hard.

walking up and spacing jabs, fairs, ftilts, and dtilts is another way i approach. but im sure we all do this.
specifically with short hop approach mix ups, spacing fair>ftilt is pretty solid. and it's harder to punish because they are both safe when spaced on shield.
something ive been doing as well is say we're "boxing" doin some cqc. if they shield instead of just grabbing or infinite jabbing sometimes ill wingdash behind them and punish their shield drop with a retreating turn around fair out of the wingdash. it's a pretty good mixup imo. there's other stuff i do but i don't really know how to write it all down.

planking can be done in many ways with all of our moves. however there a few ways to plank that are generally the most effective against most characters. for spacies, ICs, MK, and most others the basic 2 uairs through the stage with some arrows, maybe some jump dair, and definitely fair mixup here and there is the most effective planking method. however against some characters like peach, zss, marth, and such it is best to do a retreating uair then a returning uair with arrow/fair/jump dair mixup because if you just hug the stage and uair, their disjoints (peach's dair, marth's fsmash, zss's stun) can hit you.
then there is the snake planking method, where you use the first method combined with WOI-ing his grenades back at him. The best time to WOI his grenades is right as he drops them so that they fly back towards him as he retreats causing him to either shield or retreat futher. there are other characters who need careful types of planking but in general these are the main ways to succeed for me.

I also take advantage of our ability to air and platform camp ridiculously safe in almost all MUs (the exception being MK). At BF, i will airdodge/Wing Refresh/Dair camp the top platform and mixup between landing with WOI on a different platform or the ground to get Wing Refresh and air camp more. I also severely abuse scrooging when possible. One way to scrooge is by gliding under the stage (stopping before you get to the other ledge), jumping twice, and then WOI-ing to either side. If you want to be a real ****, you will first Wing Refresh under the stage, then glide, jump twice, and then WOI again.
The other way to scrooge is the SV/Frigate method where there is platform to glide to while defending that platform. To mix this one up on SV, try slow gliding over the platform above the stage (against certain characters) or using your 4 jumps to dair camp it as it moves across the stage (it works out to where our four jumps while dair-ing lasts the length of it's travel). While on the platform it is important to abuse the hell out of your arrows because this is how openings for more devastating things are made. Also if they happen to try and take the platform from you while it is floating offstage, fall through and uair them till they get off or are knocked off by the move (you can also mix it up with bair for early kills and your other aerials for different results, as well as arrows from below). You can also try read their approach and punish with the appropriate move/grab.

now, i just added this to let you guys know the reasoning behind why i try to air camp so much with platforms. normally when landing pit's options are kinda limited. but platform mechanics when combined with our dair, fair, arrow, and fall through aerial arsenal, plus if you wing refresh (the wind-box), will surely keep you safe for the most part against most characters. then you go out and up and air camp more, and with our great moveset for platform combat, they are always at risk to approach. and hell if we just land and jab as they try to board that platform, it gets them away to give us positional advantage. oh ya, fall through rising nair and uair is OP on like SV. oh ya, and of course (unless it's metaknight) safe to scrooge down from the SV platform to the other side and camp it out with arrows and aerials till you get to either WOI-land or aerial land or both on that platform perfectly safe, oh ya mirror shield is also a good option to land with sometimes. and also we can ledge hop platform cancel if we wanna plank until it comes back to that side.

Onstage Gameplay:

321 GO

first off i charge an arrow, and see what happens. they side step or shield i charge it more then release. whether it hits them or not i fire 2 spam speed arrows at them, one of which usually hits. based on how they are approaching, i will either wait for an opportunity to get a jab or i will retreat with either dair>arrow or just run away arrow. now compared to other pit mains, i do not rely on fsmash as my kill move, so i use both it and jab as much as possible, especially on a super slide forwards (shoutouts to zulo for telling me about that). i also like WOI>fairs/bairs. also, bear with me on this, i've found personally that in high level play, dair>footstool>WOI Lock set up is viable in use at lower percents to punish rolls. It shouldn't work, but it sure does.

Back to damage racking, i abuse my fthrow dash attack combos. a lot of times if you just shield after, they will airdodge and you can grab them again and do a uthrow>arrow>uair string. another way to rack damage is to semi tech chase with 3hit jab. just do the hit to punish a side step or mis-spaced attack, then walk forward and do another jab. it works, and if they shield, do the infinite. fun fact, people will run back into the jab infinite if you hold it there a few seconds. grabs in general are great for pit, use them to get good positioning.

Grab Stuff

since i started talking about grabs with pit, i may as well tell you guys all my knowledge on the use of pit's grabs that i have gained through experiance, and couple of esca tricks i was shown.

fthrow- this is pit's best throw. it sets up for so many possibities. here are those set ups:

Esca's Trap: on characters we chaingrab, we can do a psuedo 0-death each time. take them to ledge and air release them. immediately start charging an arrow, then wait to read their airdodge and eat their jump. from here it is just a gimp whether it's mirror shield or a fair string to oblivion or a footstool or a bair.

The Fogo Theory: quote fogo, "yo maharba, that fthrow to fsmash is pretty good. but think about this, if you were to just do the chaingrabs into dash attack and then shield, most people will either dodge or attack and that sets you up to grab them and then do a pit throw string. like the one with your uthrow>arrow>uair, that's around an extra fifty percent or more sometimes based on how you can follow up that uair, hell it could be a gimp."

Backlash- at low percents, we can bthrow>dash attack guarenteed true combo. and it sure does set up a great edguarding scenario, especially if you start jabbing right afterwords. or just a landing read on the stage. the choice is yours.

Esca's Dthrow Setups: im quoting a txt on my phone from around whobo3. "d throw them and stand still and watch their DI. if they go back, free bair. forward, free fair/regrab. if they don't, they're ****ed"

Platform Lock Setup- on BF when standing under a side platform, we can dthrow>WOI>fair lock and, while it's not guarenteed, it does auto cancel and usually beat whatever they react with.

Dthrow>Nair: dthrow to full hop fall retreating nair is actually really good on some characters like snake and fox and bunch of other people because the retreat has a pull that can mess up DI and they get hit by the last hit usually get them at lower percents. it can also be used to put people on platforms just to knock the off with nair and follow up.

random note. grounded grab releasing people by pummling with down c-stick and doing so to buffer a dsmash actually does get people of guard. and it's frame five high priority.

If you are on a stage with platforms, you need to be king of all the platforms on that stage. battle field can be circle camped forever with pit's jumping airdodge (his rising/moving airdodge is actually great, it just sucks for landing) then landing with a WOI that is now wing refreshed go out of reach and air camp some more. On SV you can either scrooge or dair camp that platform across the stage while shooting arrows. just remember what's writin above.

Getting the Kill With & Without Fsmash (the latter being my specialty, use of bair specifically)

Luckay4Lyphe's video's got me addicted to wing chase pivot bair to get people, and since then i've gotten really good at using it as an offstage threat or chasing someone down and just using it when they land or under some platforms just jump up and do it. set it up with weak bair>crit or nair (based on DI)>crit, or just fall off and hit them with it as they use a recovery move. but ya ill chase someone down if the pressure is right and i can think i can risk low-mid inexchange for stock determining reward. sharking it also *****, as well as if you can get extended crit box at like brinstar. however sharking with bair is always great, however you do have to becareful of getting spiked if you aren't smart about your placement, especially wolf and falco and marth. ike could also be tricky with that dtilt. but it still works good on them and great on characters like snake, DDD, DK, RoB, diddy kong, fox, pikachu based on which stage we're sharking, because you gotta watch for jolts on some stages. tbh this works on pretty much everybody, hell you can sometimes even suprise an unsuspecting MK for a suprise 90% kill stage center. but actually against mk planked uair is always safest, then spaced fair. but really you should just away from MK the entire match, punish what you can, use spaced dtilt to punish whenever you can because it always gets him away, and abuse the fact that our glide is faster and our WOI movement is the fastest, farthest reaching, super mobility enhancing move in the god damn game.
sidenote on this MK MU: if you keep running around the map, sometimes just jump back and throw bair out and it'll hit as they chase you and get taken by suprise.

**** you olimar, between fair and bair your *** is mine. grounded invincible super priority extended range hitbox with knockback reward aerial attacks *****. by the way WOI and fair both retreating and approaching can overwhelm olimar at certain times due to pit's super priority in this matchup. did you know if we get close enough our dsmash, jab, dtilt, and dash attack will hit him before his pikmin grabs or hits us and usually kill some pikmin? it's cool. but fair is definately the top tier tool in this match up. followed dash attack. which is then followed by either doing a jab>grab or jab infinite to destroy him and his pikmin if near a ledge, and if you end quick it tends to set us up for a grab based on DI of the olimar. then that Dtilt is next. now because getting olimar in the air above him is pit's specialty, this is a MU where you need to use bair as your kill move of choice because you have so many ways of getting the kill with it. if they get hit far off, arrow him and then edgehog. or he'll just die because he is light. oh ya, your wind box counts a refresher move once for each pikmin it hits that can be hit when you use and it gives ff fair a bigger hitbox that beasts olimar's demon soul. (sorry about the random olimar info in the kill section, i was pretty high when i typed it right there when i did, however it's all true so i leave it)

but ya, WOI aerials are great for getting kills and gimp setups.

Now, there are those who can know which MUs to master getting in killer fsmashes as their kill move. well ill say i attack weirdly with fsmash anymore since that spaced slide throws people off and it can be pretty suprising out of nowhere. so that is one way to do it. oh and another way to really throw someone off with super slide is run through them>pivot super slide charging fsmash> they see and hear it and instictively spotdodge>punishing a spot dodge with a powerful fsmash. don't ever do this twice to the same person in that match though. it will not work.

otherways are to just read their landing and punish it with fsmash. this works pretty good on snake and punishing MK's glide attack sometimes and of course for punishing rolls. oh ya and stutter step fsmash is another great way assult and to punish.

How To Spike Offstage With Pit

yes we can spike people offstage with multiple setups and minimul risk (unless it's like MK). how do you do it you ask? ALL PITS NEED TO BE GOOD AT FOOTSTOOLING. footstooling is a broken gimping tool with pit. there are so many ways to set up a footstool and pit's general height and fall speed is good for quick below the ledge footstools even on metaknight at certain times. we can wing refresh chase them, we can be ballzy at the end and just go for the low footstool wind spike and not be in a real bad position to recover (i mean it's WOI). hell this one tactic can ruin a DDD, a DK, a Snake (as well as wind spiking his c4 recovery so that it keeps c4stun), and other characters, and we are designed to do it. think about it, we have 3 air jumps and a WOI to try and get footstools on character's. and pit's fall speed is good for getting footstools as well. i mean ya a lot of times a fair or bair can/will suffice, but that's not the point. the point is that pit's need to learn how broken footstooling is and abuse it more. it can even be a kamamkazi double footstool or hell a triple footstool rarely. just try to implement this tactic into general gameplay. (oh ya, i guess footstool cancel could be listed but i ain't done it more than once in game on a person).
oh ya, weak rising bair can true combo into a footstool.

A great move for getting the kill is also dash attack. as pit players, we should be patient enough to wait until we can kill with dash attack if necessary in plenty of MUs. it's frame 7, so it's not slow, and can be set up out of something simple like pivot arrow. dash attack out of shield is a great punisher as well even below kill percents. it sets up combos and strings (like dash attack>utilts>uair) or if you just shield their landing, you can get a grab off of it. it can be combo-ed into out of bthrow and fthrow for quite a while. eventually it sets for uairs and juggling scenarios. it's just overall a great move.

MISC (even though my whole thing has kinda been misc info lol)

So yeah, I just realized i haven't even covered my most unique trait as pit in detail yet, so ill do it all in red because i can. so archangels and cherubim *looks at fyre,* without further ado

The Maharba Arrow Style

Arrows, they are the sole heart of pit's camping game. While his other moves are good, this one move outclasses all other projectiles in the game. As it charges it also gains power, increasing it's damage up to 11% and it's knockback to high frame advantage and up/outward push.
Now combine the fact that charge can throw off their pace with the fact that im an excellent arrow looper allows me for a few mindgames and read setups that tend to be successfull. However, don't lose sight of the fact that straight, up, curved, and snaked arrows are usually the best option do to speed and spacing.

1. My Basic Arrow Camp-
As earlier stated i will start the match off by charging an arrow. sometimes i will release it upwards to do a loop to their back just to show that my loops are a threat, but most of the time i will just release it on their shield or after they sidestep/roll. based on what they do after that, i usually fire a normal arrow and prepare to either shield or retreating aerial or jab or grab. Also, when camping try to keep planted near the ledge or under a platform. that way you have solid options of retreat if necessary. if you are near the ledge you can just shield and grab the edge. if you are under a platform you can woi up and cancel it or something else.

2. Airrow Camping-
Alot of the time, especially against other characters with projectiles, i like to jump and arrow down over their projectile safely (lazers, grenades, pikmin). When in the air, you are pretty safe with dair, glide, fair, and mirror, not to mention WOI mix ups. This is also good in conjuntion with platforms, and with b reversal from the ledge.

3. Space Control-
purposely missing with arrows aimed at a specific point to force your opponent to pick a different option. I will use an MU example for this.
Say you are playing against peach. You don't want her coming in with floats right. so you keep firing up slanted arrows so that she will not jump so that she has to come from the ground, thus putting you at an advantage. now peach has ways of getting in, but as long as you are limiting her space with arrows, it becomes easier.

you can also limit certain grounded approaches by charging and spamming arrows at certain angles. slanting it down forces kirby and sonic to approach, as well as others (like snake, pika, and other crawlers).

also, when combined with proper looping, it can control cqc space as well. however, notice i said proper looping. let me explain my views on looping.

there are many differents ways to get certain space control with arrows. especially when combined with proper looping and such.

4. Looping-
loops are useful. they set up specific traps and limit specific areas. however, they must be when you are safe or when you are doing it as a read. Some good read set ups are:
-shooting an arrow as they air dodge so that it comes down as they are finishing it set up a frame trap for fsmash or grab or dair or bair or anything based on what space you were controlling, hell you can even set up uairs and glairs with it. the ones you will find most usefull though are grabs, fsmashes, jabs, and dairs in that order.

all this being said, do not forget that as pit, there are a lot of different options we have for many scenarios besides looping. with all our woi tactics, our jab, our aerials, footstooling, don't loop at the expense of the better option, make sure it was the best option for the moment!

Also, i would just like to say nobody uses enough mirror shield let alone correctly. however i have been implementing it into my game more and it does help a lot for the random areas it defends.

IDK if there is more for me to put in, but if so, then:

To Be Continued

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Maharba as this is a more in depth and thought requiring thread i suggest you start us off with an exemplary showcase of what you're looking for from us. It'll make it run much more smoothly.

Luckay4Lyphe

Smash Master
Put on your reading glasses, you might be here for a while. :awesome:

Luckay's Battle Strategy is a go:

Character Selection

First thing's first is what happens before the game starts. I choose Pit, click over to the stylish green outfit complete with matching wreath. I see who my opponent chooses as their character and I do one of 3 things:

- I shake my head in disappointment because they go with the God tier. I mentally prepare myself for what I have to do, camp. Know that metaknight has the capability to shut down everything we do, so I'm prepared to spontaneously break my original strategy and switch to a different one if I find that this metaknight is no joke and isn't falling for the basic stuff.

-I am relieved of some pressure because the character they've chosen is a low tier or someone Pit excels against. But I do not let up my competitive spirit and I still take this match seriously because my opponent might have some nice secrets up his/her sleeve.

-I get anxious because they have chosen a top tier character that we go even with or have a slight disadvantage. This will be a challenging match and it can go either way no matter how well I play. Need to stay focused, know what Pit can do against them and know what they can do against Pit. The first stock is the most crucial now, so TAKE IT.

3...2...1... GO!

Game start, what the hell does Pit do? Welp, shooting arrows never hurt anybody. The first thing I will do is either arrow or approach with a soft glide. Now gliding is severely punishable, so you have to be wary whenever approaching with glide. The start of the match also depends on who you face. You might not always want to start with an arrow if they have a reflector because there's a chance they will start off with that like Fox, wolf, and Falco. Right off the bat, I'm thinking of what I have that is guaranteed. If it's metaknight, any free percent is a blessing so I'm looking for that fthrow to fsmash. Same with every character we have a stutter step fsmash on.

Now the free % is nice, but what if they can have free % on US??? Not worth Pit's whiffed grab if you ask me. It's more practical to camp someone like Falco, Marth, or Olimar until you are out of the free % range. If the character is big and we have a long chaingrab on them, I'm looking for the right positioning where I can get all the grabs in until they are offstage and we get a dash attack. ANGEL OPPORTUNITY There are many ways to follow up after this dash attack. They are in a position offstage away from the ledge and you are about to edgeguard. The perfect opportunity to get a read is right here. You have a 1/3 chance of predicting what they will do. They will either A) Jump to get over you back to the stage (This is the most common reaction in my opinion) B) Airdodge predicting you will follow up with something (rarely happens) or C) Try to counter and punish the dash attack with their own move.

My answer to these situations will be for A) Jump in the air with my back facing them then jump again using Bair to punish an airdodge or do it anyway if they hesitate to airdodge B) Charge an arrow and punish if they airdodge away or Charge Dsmash if they airdodge towards the ledge and C)Shield grab their attack when they land. Sometimes they don't do anything and I follow up with fair leading into another fair if they don't DI and this can even lead to the stock if you are smart.

The light characters have it easier....or do they? Nothing is really guarenteed so if I get a grab at 0%, I'm probably going to fthrow into hyphen smash as in a dash usmash. Not even all 3 hits of usmash connect most of the time so is it worth it? Sometimes no. Might as well sit back and shoot arrows.

Pitching the Tent

Our forte is camping, period. Arrows are too good to not abuse. You see metaknight using tornado, shuttle loop, dsmash, and dash grab most of the time. You see Snake with his 1 frame grenade nearly the entire match, a Diddy will never want to be without his bananas, olimar will pivot grab all day, and Falco will SHDL to his hearts content. Every character has their best move, and Pit has arrows. The most effective way to use arrows is to stay back, aim, and fire. A sniper doesn't set up his equipment across the street and archers aren't on the front lines of battle. If my enemy gets in, I'm going to try my best to get them the **** out and continue to shoot arrows. Run away, fly under the stage, jump onto platforms, and shark from underneath. The trick is to stay out of range of your opponent's moves. So when I camp, I make sure there is a significant distance between me and the other character. Find the vantage point.

Once in a good position, we as Pit mains have a many more choices than other characters with projectiles. We can choose to rapid fire them. We can choose to charge them. We have almost total control of where they go. Falco and fox may shoot their lasers faster, but can they charge theirs? Toon link and Link can charge theirs, but they have a fixed trajectory. Charizard/Bowser fire have limited distance, olimar's can be shaken off of but they do cause enough annoyance to make people approach. Our arrows can stay out forever if we loop them continuously. Using Pits arrows, one can shield pressure, punish dodges, get hard reads, gimp, rack damage, even kill.

There is an art to shooting arrows. People will react in different ways to them. Some will attempt to powershield, some will spot dodge rapidly, others will take the aerial approach. When I camp, I take all of these factors into consideration. Rapid fire may work at first and will put your opponent into shock for a bit before they realize what they need to do. Spamming the arrows is not always good because an enemy in dash only needs TWO powershields to be in your face. If they powershield twice and are at a reasonable distance they can punish our arrow cool down on shield. They do this and our tent has been blown away with the wind. Do not let them get near the tent. This is where mixing up your arrow game comes into play. If my opponent is expecting to powershield because he believes he's mastered my "arrow rhythm", a slight charge on my arrow breaks THEIR rhythm. Either they just tap the shield button or they hold a bit after they powershield.

If they tap shield when I slightly charge the arrow, the arrow will hit them because their timing was off. If they hold shield and I shoot a charged arrow, they still miss the powershield, but they take no damage although their shield has shrunk a bit. They cannot do the second option without fear of their shield breaking, so most likely they will not shield the next arrow. After a charged shot is the best time to shoot a quick shot. It destroys their timing and now after just two arrows, there is a good chance they have 3%-8% damage on them. And guess what, you are untouched and your tent is still safe for the time being. Any character without a reliable projectile or reflector won't take this for long.

Spot dodging in place keeps their shield good and them untouched for a bit, but they don't advance so the main thing is we are safe. Some characters have beastly spot dodges like DDD, Falco, Link, etc. And some characters can be punished with an arrow if they spot dodge too early and we shoot a charged one. That's an easy 5% right there. Any of that percent is a blessing, especially against characters like metaknight, so do NOT take it for granted. Sometimes I angle the arrow slightly upwards to get "head shots". People aggravated will sooner or later jump to avoid the arrows. If they take it to the skies, so can we. Angle the arrows upwards as to predict a jump will make them fall and often times, this can combo into a grounded arrow because in their mind, they are still in the air. Our arrows are too fast for most players to comprehend what is going on sometimes. We can also jump and shoot which I like to do sometimes because the arrow will stay straight at a higher level. Jump arrow is effective against players/characters who kind of chill mid-height like Peach.

Some players will roll to advance on a camping Pit which is effective if we are just spamming. Charging the arrow beforehand to punish their rolling lag will just give them more damage. Keep in mind that they ARE closer if they roll despite getting hit by the arrow. At this point I'm thinking "Okay, need an exit strategy for when they are in my face". If they get in with a roll, I sometimes get punished because I buffered another arrow. Most of the time, I want to STOP pressing B and get ready to punish something.

Shield is the best choice when they are in your face if I put around 20% of light in their *** because they will be pissed off enough to use their strongest smash attack. Depending on the shield knockback, I usually grab or jab combo. (if there is too much shield knockback I dash attack them) This gets a nice 7%-11%. If I fthrow/jab combo they will probably be in my face again soon, but I can try to get another 4%-5% arrow in. If I uthrow, they might DI sideways, but if they don't an arrow straight up and an arrow slightly left or right might put on another 4%-8%. Also with uthrow, I usually go for the uair because it is a practical hitbox, can get in 7%-11% I think, and it sends them sideways hopefully offstage. I use Dthrow the least as I have yet to explore what reads I can get from it, maybe one of you guys have more experiece with dthrow. Bthrow is my favorite throw from my tent because it gets them offstage and can combo into an extra 4% arrow at times potentially leading to a nice read. This read could be a stock so I want to read their air jump with an arrow which could be a nice 3%-4% and then edgehog as fast as I can or mirror shield depending on their recovery. If I pull that off, GREAT, I just took a mutha****ing STOCK. If they have a good recovery, sometimes they don't need the ledge and they make in on stage. Good thing there is landing penalty though, so I ledge hop and fair them for a good 11% and I'm back in my tent.

Most of the time in high level play, this won't happen though. People save their air jump and wait to up b or whatever recovery move so people would chill on the ledge get stagespiked or knocked off the ledge and now I'm the one in the bad position or I'm the one who lost a stock. If they are being smart with recovery stalling tactics, saving their up b, etc it is best to let them have that ledge. It isn't worth it. While they spend there time climbing back on the stage, there is a new comfy territory on the other side of the stage labeled ANGEL OPPORTUNITY. (lol) Now Pit isn't the fastest in the game so some characters he can't outrun when trying to seize that spot. Pivot arrow comes into play in this situation. A Metaknight, Marth, Pikachu, TL, Shiek, Sonic will be on you like white on rice in no time if all you do is run. I like to think of this as like in a car chase, the car in front has a shooter shooting behind them sometimes to slow them down by getting their tires. As Pit, at least 2 to 3 times I pivot arrow to stop them in their tracks for a bit. Pivot arrow is hard to perform sometimes and an angel ring comes out or I don't pivot at all so when I feel like my thumb is is the wrong place to pivot arrow I jump and do an aerial pivot charge since it's easier and when I land I release the arrow. This is usually when I'm at the end of the stage by then. Now I'm in the same situation again, but the other side of the stage. Rinse and repeat!

Now in camp mode, I'm not invincible, but if I have the lead and I get hit, but still have the lead, I don't care. The point of camping is to not be aggressive. Stay safe and shoot arrows from a distance. Putting yourself in a situation with a greater chance of getting hit is a NO. Taking the tent to the ledge isn't a half bad idea either. Pit has 3 air jumps, but I rarely use the last one when planking because the last one should be for emergencies. Two air hop arrows from the ledge then woi to grab the ledge is great. Whenever you can go through the bottom of the stage like Delphino, Halberd, and Brinstar, I sometimes shoot under the stage and curve the arrow up or get low and shoot upwards then curve to the side.

Loop camping is stage dependent for me. I only do it on stages when there is an obstacle in the way and there's no way to get in an arrow other than looping. It rarely damages at all, but its the safest thing possible so why not right? I loop camp on ps1 and delphino transformations.

Walk The Plank!

Not too far off from camping, but it deserves it's own section. Planking like camping is something Pit excels at. We're possibly the best at it. At least I think so, metaknight is pretty ***, but that's only because everything he has is frame safe. Multiple jumps make Pit great at planking. Not only do we have multiple jumps, but ARROWS. We can PLANK with ARROWS. :chuckle:

There isn't much to planking except stay on the ledge and don't get hit. We plank with uair most of the time. After the uair it can be good to hop up and reach over further with a fair. Arrow if they are out of reach of course. If someone doesn't back off the ledge, I see no need to come back on stage until they give me some room and give up the edge guarding. You can also jump away from the ledge and pivot arrow if you feel too close doing a regular ledge hop arrow. Sometimes I use this as a recovery gimmick because I use a second air jump after the arrow to glide into the corner of the stage and then glair into a lagless buffered utilt or spotdodge or something to get on stage with little risk of being punished.

With all this planking in mind, it is highly frowned upon in the community. I guess we got the short end of the stick because one of our best tactics gets limited. Keep in mind the ledge grab limit so don't stay on the ledge for TOO long. When chilling there without planking, wait a few seconds and exhaust all your jumps before regrabbing the ledge to save some ledge grabs. I keep a small mental note of how many I have when planking. Not extremely accurate, but in the ball park. Because a timeout with over 50 and we're done. (Will get to time outs later)

Put Up Your Dukes.....or uhh Swords!

Now that you've got some damage on them, its all a mind game. What to do what to do. Well, the two previous sections of camping and planking are always an option. Taking the fight close range can be pretty strong too though. We aren't the fastest close range though. Pit's CQC should mainly be about punishing. Jab and dsmash are our fastest moves outside of utilt. You wouldn't run up to someone and utilt so the 5th frame is all we have to work with. Other characters have faster Jabs, faster tilts, and moves that can shut out close range down. I run up, pretty much poke them with a jab and take half a second for a reaction. If they roll behind me, I pivot and punish with a dsmash. If they spot dodge I will grab them and get a throw in. If they stay in shield I will most likely grab them, but by then they could have shield grabbed me. After all of these punishes I follow up with an arrow of course.
A lot of damage will come from punishing. If someone does a laggy move on shield, the best punisher will be fsmash. A good 17%-18% will get them to killing range quickly, but there is also the situation with stale and fresh moves. We need our fsmash to be fresh after 100%. So if they are more than 70% hold off on fsmash. I punish with arrows, grabs, dtilt, fair, uair, and dsmash (The potential kill move I discarded for punishing). I use jab infinite and angel ring sparingly as continuous move like those tend to not do as much damage to smart players and I end up getting punished. One thing angel ring happens to be good for is edgeguarding as it covers a wide area and against some characters it will chip them off of the ledge. Using angel ring directly on someone's shield can grind them down and poke at times as well.

Sometimes the main objective is to get the enemy in the air. For this reason I will try to dtilt them or if I get the grab, an uthrow. Characters unsafe on land are easy to read most of the time. If they are the type to try to run before they land, then uair chasing them or using fair is the most practical option. Dair can combo into a rising nair at times so keep that in mind when putting together strings of moves. Some characters don't have much choice, but to airdodge at times so reading airdodges can get a nice amount of damage. If they airdodge towards me, I usually charge a dsmash or pivot grab.

The Final Frontier

I'm not a big spacing guy, but it is pretty important. I wouldn't know how to elaborate on this except, I just know Pit and know what character I'm up against. If they are being aggro, I stay outside their highest range move. I dair camp against people or I fair camp against people.

How Do I Land This Thing?

Now Pit has limited aerial mobility so landing can be a problem at times. You'll have to airdodge at the right time because normally there's only one before landing or getting punished. Against metaknight its nearly useless because his moves are too fast. I wave bounce a mirror shield to confuse people like when snake does the same with grenades. Divebombing with woi is an option, but I rarely do this due to the risk. If I woi I will go high first and away from my opponent on the ground. Sometimes I throw out an angel ring as to keep them from touching me in the air. That tactic doesn't always work though, moves like shuttle loop or any strong aerials for that matter will trade with angel ring and we will get knocked off stage. Landing behind peoples shields is the best way to not get shield grabbed since you can't pivot in your shield. When worse comes to worse, I take the marth landing and land with a dair. If it connects, you trade places by knocking them up while you land. If it hits their shield then the shield knockback will push them far enough to avoid being punished badly, but I'll still get punished most likely. Fast falling bair is also good if they try to air chase and juggle you.

Edge-guarding

A lot of damage can come from this section if played smart enough. For Pit the most important thing is accuracy. We can get in 3 to 5 arrows if we have great arrow control. People offstage are most vulnerable since their main focus is to recover instead of to not get hit. One thing I like to do is wing refresh chase people to around the middle of the air offstage and bair for fair to get out of it and then use the remaining 3 jumps to fair fall them with arrows mixed in which is great for gimping. Edgehogging is a very legitimate way of stealing a stock. The point is to not give them any options and taking the ledge will kill a lot of characters trying to recover. Learning to quickly edgehog is vital against some opponents. Metaknights that like to drill rush the edge or shuttle loop the edge can be punished severely this way. Even if they make it back onstage with their recovery it is an opportunity for a free fair. The dtilt spike is one of our gimmicks that I like to use too. Once someone grabs the edge, I wait a bit for their invincibility to leave, a short pause, then dtilt not matter what. If they ledge hop for an attack they will get spiked which is great most of the time. Some characters can up recovery on reaction of this spike so edgehog quickly afterwards for insurance of the kill. Dtilt spike works on halberd and delphino even better when characters try to come up through the stage.

Mirror shield gimping is our greatest kill offstage in my opinion. On kirby, Ike, Metaknight I like to jump into their attacks with mirror shield. On the spacies, Lucas and Ness, I like to run offstage and mirror shield. Characters like Marth, Charizard and TL you have to be quick. I tend to not go for those due to the risk of being stage spiked or something.

C-C-C-COMBO

lol combos in brawl :cool:

Seriously though, I just let them come to me using the quickest strings of moves that pop into my head as I play. I will say that my favorite moves to chain into each other are:

• Glair>lagless utilt
  • FF sourspot bair>fsmash/dsmash
  • Arrow>Arrow ;)
Refer to my combo video for anything else I like to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ9JTINTe7Q

I'm Gonna KILL You

Now, the opponent is over 110%. Killing is very important. BUT, do not be too anxious to kill because fishing is what gets your opponent the comeback. So, what to do. The objective is to get them in a position where they must do something that is punishable. When staring face to face with someone in kill range they WILL shield so the thing NOT to do is fsmash. That's a free grab waiting for you. No matter what you have to take free percent because it opens up more kill moves. Also note that if YOU are in kill range then it is always better to shield an punish. Getting grabbed is nothing compared to getting killed UNLESS the character you are playing has one of their throws as a kill move and in that case spot dodge and roll more to stay alive. Back on subject, you kept fsmash fresh for a reason. This is where you need to land it. If you see them roll, our fsmash can react to this as a punishment. The only time I do not advise fsmash on someone in kill range is if they would travel across the stage as they fly. They have to be at least in the middle of the stage to get killed.

If fsmash doesn't work the first time, there's no use trying it again. Now I have a slight problem. The main kill move isn't fresh, the other possible kill smash (dsmash) is being used as a punisher so of course it's not fresh, and the strongest move (bair) is too hard to land on a whim. This is where I turn to my two secret kill moves. Most of my opponents will die to either a fresh dair or dash attack after 135% and these are much easier to land. Take the flight to the air, dair camping will kill. If your opponent thinks you will land, woi stall for a second, wait for them to whiff a move, then dair. Approach with dair because it is a very good hitbox. Dash attack is a great punisher because it has horizontal range. It can catch people rolling away, people slightly offstage an those who airdodge to the ground. I get a lot of kills with bair through stage spiking mostly on people trying to recover straight up to the ledge or people who like to plank. Glair is also a great move to chase offstage for the kill at high %.

AIGHT, I think that's good with LuckayLyphe. Been writing this throughout the course of today. Guess I'll sleep now *yawn* This is how I roll fly

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
Character Selection

First thing's first is what happens before the game starts. I choose Pit, click over to the stylish green outfit complete with matching wreath. I see who my opponent chooses as their character and I do one of 3 things:

- I shake my head in disappointment because they go with the God tier. I mentally prepare myself for what I have to do, camp. Know that metaknight has the capability to shut down everything we do, so I'm prepared to spontaneously break my original strategy and switch to a different one if I find that this metaknight is no joke and isn't falling for the basic stuff.

-I am relieved of some pressure because the character they've chosen is a low tier or someone Pit excels against. But I do not let up my competitive spirit and I still take this match seriously because my opponent might have some nice secrets up his/her sleeve.

-I get anxious because they have chosen a top tier character that we go even with or have a slight disadvantage. This will be a challenging match and it can go either way no matter how well I play. Need to stay focused, know what Pit can do against them and know what they can do against Pit. The first stock is the most crucial now, so TAKE IT.
hey hey, i go for the green one too ! unless i'm there for business , then i go blue pit because its mine ! i'm the best blue pit hahahah. But being afraid or disapointed in your opponents character select is only going to reflect how bad you will play. Have a great mindset and think you will MURDER this mk. you will do better.

3...2...1... GO!

i erased all of this because i wanted to give my own opinion. Okay game starts and the first thing i do is wait. i let them sheild thinking i'ma shoot one and then bam i shoot and see how they react. then i walk up and run back and pivot arrow and see how they react to that. keep that reaction stored in your memory for most of the game. it will help you later on..trust me lol

Pitching the Tent

Our forte is camping, period. Arrows are too good to not abuse. You see metaknight using tornado, shuttle loop, dsmash, and dash grab most of the time. You see Snake with his 1 frame grenade nearly the entire match, a Diddy will never want to be without his bananas, olimar will pivot grab all day, and Falco will SHDL to his hearts content. Every character has their best move, and Pit has arrows. The most effective way to use arrows is to stay back, aim, and fire. A sniper doesn't set up his equipment across the street and archers aren't on the front lines of battle. If my enemy gets in, I'm going to try my best to get them the **** out and continue to shoot arrows. Run away, fly under the stage, jump onto platforms, and shark from underneath. The trick is to stay out of range of your opponent's moves. So when I camp, I make sure there is a significant distance between me and the other character. Find the vantage point.

Once in a good position, we as Pit mains have a many more choices than other characters with projectiles. We can choose to rapid fire them. We can choose to charge them. We have almost total control of where they go. Falco and fox may shoot their lasers faster, but can they charge theirs? Toon link and Link can charge theirs, but they have a fixed trajectory. Charizard/Bowser fire have limited distance, olimar's can be shaken off of but they do cause enough annoyance to make people approach. Our arrows can stay out forever if we loop them continuously. Using Pits arrows, one can shield pressure, punish dodges, get hard reads, gimp, rack damage, even kill.

There is an art to shooting arrows. People will react in different ways to them. Some will attempt to powershield, some will spot dodge rapidly, others will take the aerial approach. When I camp, I take all of these factors into consideration. Rapid fire may work at first and will put your opponent into shock for a bit before they realize what they need to do. Spamming the arrows is not always good because an enemy in dash only needs TWO powershields to be in your face. If they powershield twice and are at a reasonable distance they can punish our arrow cool down on shield. They do this and our tent has been blown away with the wind. Do not let them get near the tent. This is where mixing up your arrow game comes into play. If my opponent is expecting to powershield because he believes he's mastered my "arrow rhythm", a slight charge on my arrow breaks THEIR rhythm. Either they just tap the shield button or they hold a bit after they powershield.

If they tap shield when I slightly charge the arrow, the arrow will hit them because their timing was off. If they hold shield and I shoot a charged arrow, they still miss the powershield, but they take no damage although their shield has shrunk a bit. They cannot do the second option without fear of their shield breaking, so most likely they will not shield the next arrow. After a charged shot is the best time to shoot a quick shot. It destroys their timing and now after just two arrows, there is a good chance they have 3%-8% damage on them. And guess what, you are untouched and your tent is still safe for the time being. Any character without a reliable projectile or reflector won't take this for long.

Spot dodging in place keeps their shield good and them untouched for a bit, but they don't advance so the main thing is we are safe. Some characters have beastly spot dodges like DDD, Falco, Link, etc. And some characters can be punished with an arrow if they spot dodge too early and we shoot a charged one. That's an easy 5% right there. Any of that percent is a blessing, especially against characters like metaknight, so do NOT take it for granted. Sometimes I angle the arrow slightly upwards to get "head shots". People aggravated will sooner or later jump to avoid the arrows. If they take it to the skies, so can we. Angle the arrows upwards as to predict a jump will make them fall and often times, this can combo into a grounded arrow because in their mind, they are still in the air. Our arrows are too fast for most players to comprehend what is going on sometimes. We can also jump and shoot which I like to do sometimes because the arrow will stay straight at a higher level. Jump arrow is effective against players/characters who kind of chill mid-height like Peach.

Some players will roll to advance on a camping Pit which is effective if we are just spamming. Charging the arrow beforehand to punish their rolling lag will just give them more damage. Keep in mind that they ARE closer if they roll despite getting hit by the arrow. At this point I'm thinking "Okay, need an exit strategy for when they are in my face". If they get in with a roll, I sometimes get punished because I buffered another arrow. Most of the time, I want to STOP pressing B and get ready to punish something.

Shield is the best choice when they are in your face if I put around 20% of light in their *** because they will be pissed off enough to use their strongest smash attack. Depending on the shield knockback, I usually grab or jab combo. (if there is too much shield knockback I dash attack them) This gets a nice 7%-11%. If I fthrow/jab combo they will probably be in my face again soon, but I can try to get another 4%-5% arrow in. If I uthrow, they might DI sideways, but if they don't an arrow straight up and an arrow slightly left or right might put on another 4%-8%. Also with uthrow, I usually go for the uair because it is a practical hitbox, can get in 7%-11% I think, and it sends them sideways hopefully offstage. I use Dthrow the least as I have yet to explore what reads I can get from it, maybe one of you guys have more experiece with dthrow. Bthrow is my favorite throw from my tent because it gets them offstage and can combo into an extra 4% arrow at times potentially leading to a nice read. This read could be a stock so I want to read their air jump with an arrow which could be a nice 3%-4% and then edgehog as fast as I can or mirror shield depending on their recovery. If I pull that off, GREAT, I just took a mutha****ing STOCK. If they have a good recovery, sometimes they don't need the ledge and they make in on stage. Good thing there is landing penalty though, so I ledge hop and fair them for a good 11% and I'm back in my tent.

Most of the time in high level play, this won't happen though. People save their air jump and wait to up b or whatever recovery move so people would chill on the ledge get stagespiked or knocked off the ledge and now I'm the one in the bad position or I'm the one who lost a stock. If they are being smart with recovery stalling tactics, saving their up b, etc it is best to let them have that ledge. It isn't worth it. While they spend there time climbing back on the stage, there is a new comfy territory on the other side of the stage labeled ANGEL OPPORTUNITY. (lol) Now Pit isn't the fastest in the game so some characters he can't outrun when trying to seize that spot. Pivot arrow comes into play in this situation. A Metaknight, Marth, Pikachu, TL, Shiek, Sonic will be on you like white on rice in no time if all you do is run. I like to think of this as like in a car chase, the car in front has a shooter shooting behind them sometimes to slow them down by getting their tires. As Pit, at least 2 to 3 times I pivot arrow to stop them in their tracks for a bit. Pivot arrow is hard to perform sometimes and an angel ring comes out or I don't pivot at all so when I feel like my thumb is is the wrong place to pivot arrow I jump and do an aerial pivot charge since it's easier and when I land I release the arrow. This is usually when I'm at the end of the stage by then. Now I'm in the same situation again, but the other side of the stage. Rinse and repeat!

Now in camp mode, I'm not invincible, but if I have the lead and I get hit, but still have the lead, I don't care. The point of camping is to not be aggressive. Stay safe and shoot arrows from a distance. Putting yourself in a situation with a greater chance of getting hit is a NO. Taking the tent to the ledge isn't a half bad idea either. Pit has 3 air jumps, but I rarely use the last one when planking because the last one should be for emergencies. Two air hop arrows from the ledge then woi to grab the ledge is great. Whenever you can go through the bottom of the stage like Delphino, Halberd, and Brinstar, I sometimes shoot under the stage and curve the arrow up or get low and shoot upwards then curve to the side. if i have the stock lead, i give myself a goal to get at least x amout of percent before i die.

Loop camping is stage dependent for me. I only do it on stages when there is an obstacle in the way and there's no way to get in an arrow other than looping. It rarely damages at all, but its the safest thing possible so why not right? I loop camp on ps1 and delphino transformations. i loop whenever i get the chance to, if i can't reach while i'm on the ground, why not loop and cover more area. but only when you KNOW you can't reach your opponent with your arrow.
completely agree with this one. nice job only added stuff in bold but other than that you got it !

Walk The Plank!

Not too far off from camping, but it deserves it's own section. Planking like camping is something Pit excels at. We're possibly the best at it. At least I think so, metaknight is pretty ***, but that's only because everything he has is frame safe. Multiple jumps make Pit great at planking. Not only do we have multiple jumps, but ARROWS. We can PLANK with ARROWS. :chuckle:

There isn't much to planking except stay on the ledge and don't get hit. We plank with uair most of the time. After the uair it can be good to hop up and reach over further with a fair. Arrow if they are out of reach of course. If someone doesn't back off the ledge, I see no need to come back on stage until they give me some room and give up the edge guarding. You can also jump away from the ledge and pivot arrow if you feel too close doing a regular ledge hop arrow. Sometimes I use this as a recovery gimmick because I use a second air jump after the arrow to glide into the corner of the stage and then glair into a lagless buffered utilt or spotdodge or something to get on stage with little risk of being punished.

With all this planking in mind, it is highly frowned upon in the community. I guess we got the short end of the stick because one of our best tactics gets limited. Keep in mind the ledge grab limit so don't stay on the ledge for TOO long. When chilling there without planking, wait a few seconds and exhaust all your jumps before regrabbing the ledge to save some ledge grabs. I keep a small mental note of how many I have when planking. Not extremely accurate, but in the ball park. Because a timeout with over 50 and we're done. (Will get to time outs later)
ONLY PLANK AGAINST METAKNIGHTS no other characters deserve it and i promise if a pit times out a metaknight no one would care. But i do not encourage planking because of 1 thing. once they figure out a way around it, your brain( well mine at least) goes into this state that i'm not doing it right and then i get punished.
scrooging is easy with pit tho.
Retreating fair from the stage --> glide --> bam

Put Up Your Dukes.....or uhh Swords!

Now that you've got some damage on them, its all a mind game. What to do what to do. Well, the two previous sections of camping and planking are always an option. Taking the fight close range can be pretty strong too though. We aren't the fastest close range though. Pit's CQC should mainly be about punishing. Jab and dsmash are our fastest moves outside of utilt. You wouldn't run up to someone and utilt so the 5th frame is all we have to work with. Other characters have faster Jabs, faster tilts, and moves that can shut out close range down. I run up, pretty much poke them with a jab and take half a second for a reaction. If they roll behind me, I pivot and punish with a dsmash. If they spot dodge I will grab them and get a throw in. If they stay in shield I will most likely grab them, but by then they could have shield grabbed me. After all of these punishes I follow up with an arrow of course.
A lot of damage will come from punishing. If someone does a laggy move on shield, the best punisher will be fsmash. A good 17%-18% will get them to killing range quickly, but there is also the situation with stale and fresh moves. We need our fsmash to be fresh after 100%. So if they are more than 70% hold off on fsmash. I punish with arrows, grabs, dtilt, fair, uair, and dsmash (The potential kill move I discarded for punishing). I use jab infinite and angel ring sparingly as continuous move like those tend to not do as much damage to smart players and I end up getting punished. One thing angel ring happens to be good for is edgeguarding as it covers a wide area and against some characters it will chip them off of the ledge. Using angel ring directly on someone's shield can grind them down and poke at times as well.

Sometimes the main objective is to get the enemy in the air. For this reason I will try to dtilt them or if I get the grab, an uthrow. Characters unsafe on land are easy to read most of the time. If they are the type to try to run before they land, then uair chasing them or using fair is the most practical option. Dair can combo into a rising nair at times so keep that in mind when putting together strings of moves. Some characters don't have much choice, but to airdodge at times so reading airdodges can get a nice amount of damage. If they airdodge towards me, I usually charge a dsmash or pivot grab.
seems like you guys are scared to be unsafe at times. Our character isn't godlike so there still should be times where you do moves to scared your opponents or catch them offguard. i like to upb in the middle of the air and do a fair/bair/uair/dair. just because its fun :D and i catch alot of people with it. it startles them ! wing refresh has come to be my new favorite move, i'm going to master it ! other than that you got it again Luckay

The Final Frontier

I'm not a big spacing guy, but it is pretty important. I wouldn't know how to elaborate on this except, I just know Pit and know what character I'm up against. If they are being aggro, I stay outside their highest range move. I dair camp against people or I fair camp against people.
Learn to power shield also, but its a great idea to dair/fair camp against people if your trying to read them or need a break from the fight. if i see an opening i always go for the grab but thats only when i'm 80% sure.

How Do I Land This Thing?

Now Pit has limited aerial mobility so landing can be a problem at times. You'll have to airdodge at the right time because normally there's only one before landing or getting punished. Against metaknight its nearly useless because his moves are too fast. I wave bounce a mirror shield to confuse people like when snake does the same with grenades. Divebombing with woi is an option, but I rarely do this due to the risk. If I woi I will go high first and away from my opponent on the ground. Sometimes I throw out an angel ring as to keep them from touching me in the air. That tactic doesn't always work though, moves like shuttle loop or any strong aerials for that matter will trade with angel ring and we will get knocked off stage. Landing behind peoples shields is the best way to not get shield grabbed since you can't pivot in your shield. When worse comes to worse, I take the marth landing and land with a dair. If it connects, you trade places by knocking them up while you land. If it hits their shield then the shield knockback will push them far enough to avoid being punished badly, but I'll still get punished most likely. Fast falling bair is also good if they try to air chase and juggle you.
if i'm up in the air with NO jumps left. i pull out the mirror shield and land close to the edge as i can. some people have no time to react and will not think about grabbing me instead attacking pushing me off the edge, where i regain my jumps ;) and puts me back in the game.

Edge-guarding

A lot of damage can come from this section if played smart enough. For Pit the most important thing is accuracy. We can get in 3 to 5 arrows if we have great arrow control. People offstage are most vulnerable since their main focus is to recover instead of to not get hit. One thing I like to do is wing refresh chase people to around the middle of the air offstage and bair for fair to get out of it and then use the remaining 3 jumps to fair fall them with arrows mixed in which is great for gimping. Edgehogging is a very legitimate way of stealing a stock. The point is to not give them any options and taking the ledge will kill a lot of characters trying to recover. Learning to quickly edgehog is vital against some opponents. Metaknights that like to drill rush the edge or shuttle loop the edge can be punished severely this way. Even if they make it back onstage with their recovery it is an opportunity for a free fair. The dtilt spike is one of our gimmicks that I like to use too. Once someone grabs the edge, I wait a bit for their invincibility to leave, a short pause, then dtilt not matter what. If they ledge hop for an attack they will get spiked which is great most of the time. Some characters can up recovery on reaction of this spike so edgehog quickly afterwards for insurance of the kill. Dtilt spike works on halberd and delphino even better when characters try to come up through the stage.

Mirror shield gimping is our greatest kill offstage in my opinion. On kirby, Ike, Metaknight I like to jump into their attacks with mirror shield. On the spacies, Lucas and Ness, I like to run offstage and mirror shield. Characters like Marth, Charizard and TL you have to be quick. I tend to not go for those due to the risk of being stage spiked or something.
hmm i like to fast fall from the edge and connect a sweet spot bair on some characters ;) but 80% of the time i do wingrefresh and chase them or shoot arrows.

10% of the time i will wing refresh and go for the footstool on characters like kirby and kingdedede, who will die if it connects :D its risky but worth it!

C-C-C-COMBO

lol combos in brawl :cool:

Seriously though, I just let them come to me using the quickest strings of moves that pop into my head as I play. I will say that my favorite moves to chain into each other are:

• Glair>lagless utilt
  • FF sourspot bair>fsmash/dsmash
  • Arrow>Arrow ;)
Refer to my combo video for anything else I like to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ9JTINTe7Q
lol yes yes my favorite topic.

fthrow>dsmash>mirror shield (only on marth or ike)
dair>ff uair

kinda tired only ones i'll reveal until my combo video comes out

I'm Gonna KILL You

Now, the opponent is over 110%. Killing is very important. BUT, do not be too anxious to kill because fishing is what gets your opponent the comeback. So, what to do. The objective is to get them in a position where they must do something that is punishable. When staring face to face with someone in kill range they WILL shield so the thing NOT to do is fsmash. That's a free grab waiting for you. No matter what you have to take free percent because it opens up more kill moves. Also note that if YOU are in kill range then it is always better to shield an punish. Getting grabbed is nothing compared to getting killed UNLESS the character you are playing has one of their throws as a kill move and in that case spot dodge and roll more to stay alive. Back on subject, you kept fsmash fresh for a reason. This is where you need to land it. If you see them roll, our fsmash can react to this as a punishment. The only time I do not advise fsmash on someone in kill range is if they would travel across the stage as they fly. They have to be at least in the middle of the stage to get killed.

If fsmash doesn't work the first time, there's no use trying it again. Now I have a slight problem. The main kill move isn't fresh, the other possible kill smash (dsmash) is being used as a punisher so of course it's not fresh, and the strongest move (bair) is too hard to land on a whim. This is where I turn to my two secret kill moves. Most of my opponents will die to either a fresh dair or dash attack after 135% and these are much easier to land. Take the flight to the air, dair camping will kill. If your opponent thinks you will land, woi stall for a second, wait for them to whiff a move, then dair. Approach with dair because it is a very good hitbox. Dash attack is a great punisher because it has horizontal range. It can catch people rolling away, people slightly offstage an those who airdodge to the ground. I get a lot of kills with bair through stage spiking mostly on people trying to recover straight up to the ledge or people who like to plank. Glair is also a great move to chase offstage for the kill at high %.
110% percent is a little early to look for the kill imo , unless they are lightweight chars.
but yah don't rush your kill

okay finally done, -.- my other one got deleted so i decided to add on to luckay since he hit the spot most of the time.
Namesearch-Koolaid , if you ever want me to respond cause i suck at using smashboards

GOODNIGHT!

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I'll write something HERE later when I actually have time, too many other obligations goin

Bored.

-I fight along with arrows.-

Read that again. I fight. ALONG. WITH. Arrows. I don't fight WITH arrows. I fight along side them. People always say that looping is incredibly useless or it's better to just shoot a straight arrow. At times, that's right. At other times (specifically for character matchups), it's perfectly fine to loop. But most importantly, I don't just loop arrows, I fight while I'm looping them. That means being able to control EVERY single thing about my character EXCEPT being able to DI correctly if I were to be hit, unless I see it coming and drop the arrow loop right away. If you get grabbed though, having an arrow looping is a GREAT life saver and leads into really awesome setups you wouldn't otherwise have.

Some things I do while looping:
  • shoot an arrow away from the opponent, wait for their reaction, if they rush in at me, fsmash their face or shield, and let the arrow poke them in the butt. Shield stun usually helps me not get punished on my fsmash's cooldown, unless, if they got hit by the fsmash, the arrow simply adds more damage as their flying (AND hitstun! I've gotten so many skills this way)
  • shoot an arrow away from the opponent, and loop it back toward me as I rush at them with an upsmash, letting the arrow hit them whether or not they got poked by the usmash in some way. Usually great for punishing landings.
  • shoot an arrow at a shielding opponent, purposely miss, loop it back around, jab their shield and let the arrow come back and hit them. Other mix ups can used for this variety of arrow.
  • Buffer in DJ and glide toward my opponent with my arrow raining down or into their back. I either glair, slide past them, or cancel and do some other wonky crap (WoI ff fair, or WoI dair if they're coming toward me slightly up in the air, etc)... while the arrow forces them to react. What I do depends on their overall reaction. It forces THEM to make the first move.
  • Move with an active arrow in the air hiding, AKA, a ninja arrow. Get close to the opponent, an an arrow looping toward the top of the stage is impossible to see due to the camera zooming in on you. A great sneak attack, only useful if you BELIEVE in your looping ability, and KNOW you still have it going. I usually do. Best of all, great for interrupting grabs.
  • Ledge hog. Yes, I use arrow loops, sometimes multiple bending arrows that loop around the stage, freaking them out until they get back on stage, unless they WANT to get hit by a barage of eratic arrows (works best on BF). This helps deter other would-be ledge-plankers. It's also great for gimping at the same time.

Characters best to use arrow looping on:

:metaknight:/:marth:/:ness2:/:lucas:/:olimar:/:dedede:/:falco:/:zerosuitsamus:/:gw:

Characters NOT to use arrow looping on:

:sonic:/:pikachu2:/:squirtle:/:popo:/:jigglypuff:/:wario:

The rest you can use them if you want, but it isn't necessary at all.

When arrows aren't involved in the equations...

WoI, and mirror shield interchangibly are my tools of choice when dealing in some mind games and setups. Ever mirror shield a yoshi fsmash, lmao, so great. How about falco's double lasers? Don't forget about WoI, and it's great air push. I actually use it to help get me footstools as well..

That's it for now...

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
luckay and koolaid.

could you please put your information in a collapse box? thank you

sincerly, maharba the mother ****in mystic. (at your service)

edit:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
kuro will you put luckay's and koolaid's post into collapse box's please? and leave pulse's comment. it kinda randomly goes with this thread and makes it funny.

zZBlazeZz

Smash Rookie
very very good analysis on using pit, i completely agree with that which proceeded my comment.
Will Edit post later helping with some metagame and/or strategy for discussion, that i believe will benefit this thread.
Sincerely
-Blazethemother----ingweegee

xephyr417

Smash Rookie
Ive finally decided to start posting on smashboards instead of just lurking...

pivot grabbing
grounded b reversals and RAR arrows
as well as FHDair i think are some of pits most useful techs...

my pits fairly decent (imho). its gotten better since i dittoed you, luckay and krystedez (btw thanks for the help)

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
For some reason, I was randomly motivated to do this. Bumped. Sorry Kuro. Better late than pregnant never.

Anyway... FYRE'S GUIDE TO BEING AWESOME

Stage choice is made based on personal preference and what I know makes for better options for Pit (obviously). Whenever I start off a match, I begin with arrows just to see what kinda defense the opponent has. For instance, if they are bad at powershielding and reacting to the arrows I can make note of that for future reference. Or if they prefer to jump airdodge or spotdodge them I can take advantage of that knowledge. Also gives me a good idea of how they prefer to approach me.

I focus a lot on CQC tactics. Lots of jabs and tilts (dtilt is one of my favorites for fast approaching enemies). Unlike what I'm supposed to do, I don't care much for camping unless I'm at a comfortable lead. My Pit doesn't run around like at all. He just calmly walks around, firing off arrows and observing what the opponent is gonna do next. Trust me, the walking thing works. Makes opponents intimidated.

I'm a big fan of grab mix ups and I'm told my grab game is exceptional. I prefer to Uthrow and fire arrows up at them to bait an airdodge. Or Uair to Bair is a good frame trap (I think). So is Fair > Bair (I think again).

Favorite killer moves is of course Bair. I don't really use my Fsmash to rack damage because I use my arrows, jab, and tilts for that. So by the time my opponent is within kill range, my Fsmash should be nice and fresh. I tend to use jab cancel > Fsmash to kill. Or I recently started a FH Uair > Fsmash. It works well because the opponent usually shields, spotdodges or jumps. Either way they're screwed. If they jump they get hit by the Uair. If they shield or spotdodge, they get nailed by at least on of the hits from Fsmash. So yeah, works well.

My Pit incorporates different aspects of differenct characters' playstyles. Tech chasing from Snake, jab cancelling from Falco, U-B shenanigans from MK, believe it or not. What I try to do with my Pit is stuff that my opponent does not expect from a typical Pit main. And my style is based a lot on observation and reaction. Hope this helps those of you with the attention span to actually look this over. Questions?

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I think you're on to something FYRE. A lot of people tell me Pits play the same way. We all really need to step it up and branch out and start playing different if we want to advance! I will start working on more glide mix ups and baits, and better planking. I don't think we have mastered planking yet. There's still a lot more that we need to consider.

Top Bottom