• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Discussions only

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I simply don't like the idea of Pac-Man in Smash. Period. I think he is incredibly boring to be honest. I even saw a fan made moveset, and it didn't spark any interest in me at all.

I don't really know what advantages he has quite frankly. I still believe Pac is popular more so because people expect him more than want him. I will continue to believe that unless proven otherwise.
That second paragraph may be influenced by your dislike for him though.
I feel a similar way about Takamaru. But I think he will get in anyway.

volbound1700

Smash Master
My point was that while there are a lot of people who recognize Pac-man, that doesn't necessarily mean that him being in Smash would get them interested.
I have tons of friends that play a decent number of games but have never heard of Tales of Symphony. I never heard of it until Super Flash 2 and you guys see how much I play games. However, everyone knows Pac-Man.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I have tons of friends that play a decent number of games but have never heard of Tales of Symphony. I never heard of it until Super Flash 2 and you guys see how much I play games. However, everyone knows Pac-Man.
Which is why Pac-Man is more likely to appear out of the many Namco characters.

I think the consensus around here is that Pac-Man is more likely, but not interesting as a fighter, while Lloyd is less known and less likely, but more interesting as a fighter.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly don't have any dislike for Takamaru, I just wonder why people feel like he should get in when I haven't heard of him until people discussed him on this board and he had a pretty insignificant Famicon game that was even released in U.S. There are a lot of other Nintendo characters that can boast that and be in over him.

I do think we will get possibly a Golden Sun character and Little Mac but other then that on the Nintendo side I feel we will likely get more characters from existing series such as DK and Mario characters.

I really wouldn't mind Takamaru or Llyod being in the game but I just don't see it. Pac-Man has a huge following and would push the meter. Llyod would only push it for a small fanbase.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Which is why Pac-Man is more likely to appear out of the many Namco characters.

I think the consensus around here is that Pac-Man is more likely, but not interesting as a fighter, while Lloyd is less known and less likely, but more interesting as a fighter.
I don't know enough about Lloyd to truely say whether he would be more interesting but I can understand your opinion here. I have faith in Sakurai that he could make either character interesting.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

Well thats because Tales of Symphony doesn't exist. :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oh i'll absolutely admit that I don't want Pac-man in Smash.

I'm just not convinced he will be interesting.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I wouldn't mind Pac-Man getting in, though I'll admit I hardly find him interesting. :upsidedown:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I honestly don't think there is a character I don't want in Smash other than Tekken, Mortal Kombat, or Street Fighter characters lol. Not a real fan of Travis Touchdown either or mature characters in the game.

Pre-Brawl I couldn't stand the thought of Tingle in the game but I have even opened up to him more this time around. I kind of wanted Geno in Brawl but I was turned off to him by his annoying fanbase (Ghirahim is starting to become that way for me in Smash 4, I kind of want Ghirahim but the fanbase is getting annoying).

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be honest I'm not really interested in any of Namco's characters for smash. But ah well, if they are "guaranteed" to have a character in there I guess I might as well anticipate it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think I should make a list of third parties I've been hearing about, with my opinions on them. Here goes.

Mega Man: Mega Man is popular everywhere. While I haven't played any of his games, I like the character, and I have to thank Super Smash Bros. Fan for making me interested in him. I have also used him in SSF2 and SSBC. He's my most wanted 3rd party.

Pac-Man: The news of Namco-Bandai's involvement in SSB4 suddenly lead to an jump in his fanbase and chances. I've heard arguments both in his favour and against him. I've read a few movesets and the list of his power-ups (while huge, many are incredibly unlikely to appear in his moveset). While I wouldn't mind him being included, I find him boring.

Lloyd: I came to know about him through Super Smash Flash 2. While I'm not sure about his chances, the idea of double swords using fire and ice is interesting. Sadly, my interest in him has slowly decreased over time. I still support him, though not as much as before.

Prof. Layton: I came to know about him through SmashBoards. A gentleman sort of character interests me, and also because he reminds me of Sherlock Holmes. I played his first game (Curious Village) (on a ROM (forgive me, I couldn't find it for sale anywhere.)) I really liked the game, and he is almost on par with Mega Man on my list of wanted 3rd parties.

Tekken characters: I haven't played any Tekken games, as I'm not interested in fighting games in general. So, I'm neutral on their inclusion. Out of the Tekken characters, I'm only slightly interested in Heihachi (he reminds me of a political cartoon which is very popular where I live. lol)

Travis Touchdown: Another of the 3rd parties I didn't know about before joining SmashBoards. After doing some research, I realized he is the only 3rd party who I do NOT want in Smash. EVER.

A 2nd Sonic Rep: As long as it's Tails or Eggman, I'm fine.

A 2nd Metal Gear Rep: Neutral on that, since I'm unfamiliar with the series.

Meat Boy: HELL NO!

Whew, that took a while to type. Again, I remind the reader that this an opinion, so don't take it too seriously.

D

Deleted member

To be honest I'm not really interested in any of Namco's characters for smash. But ah well, if they are "guaranteed" to have a character in there I guess I might as well anticipate it.
I don't think third-parties are in general, guarantee. There are good reasons to believe why they might return, but we can't say for sure that third-parties will return, let alone who is guarantee a rep. Every character has reasons why they might get in and reasons why they might be shafted.

We'll have to see about a Namco rep come E3 2013. I think if we get one, it will probably be at E3.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't think third-parties are in general, guarantee. There are good reasons to believe why they might return, but we can't say for sure that third-parties will return, let alone who is guarantee a rep. Every character has reasons why they might get in and reasons why they might be shafted.

We'll have to see about a Namco rep come E3 2013. I think if we get one, it will probably be at E3.
That's why I wrote "Guaranteed" like that. I guess "very likely" would have been a better word choice now that I think about it. Yeah, I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think I might do my own list of opinions on third party characters like Falkoopa did as well...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I wouldn't say they are guaranteed but every title that Namco has crossed over with Nintendo (see Mario Kart Arcades) they have stuck their characters in it so it is likely they may have one in this game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't say they are guaranteed but every title that Namco has crossed over with Nintendo (see Mario Kart Arcades) they have stuck their characters in it so it is likely they may have one in this game.
Namco has also made several games for Nintendo that didn't cross over in any regards, such as Starfox Assault or Mario Superstar Baseball. However, because this is Smash, which is quite conducive to crossovers, a Namco character isn't "guaranteed" or anything, but it's fairly likely IMO, I agree.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I guess I'll put my own opinions on potential Third Parties as well. I'll put it under the collapse tag as to not get in the way with whatever you guy's are discussing in terms of third parties.

Megaman: He's warming up to me. I wouldn't mind seeing him in smash.

Any potential Namco rep: I don't really have any interest in them at all. But if they really are as likely as people claim then like I said, I might as well anticipate them. If they won't show up I won't lose any sleep over them.

Professor Layton: Probably the only third party that can actually excite me if he were playable. Sadly though he isn't as likely as Megaman or a Namco character. Even if there is evidence that his creator is interested to have him in smash. I don't know how far that will get him.

Travis Touchdown: No interest.

Second Sonic or Metal Gear character: I'd rather the third party spot be given to another third party series rather than fill in on existing third parties. Especially since Sakurai said he didn't want to add third parties willy nilly.

So yeah, outside of Layton and I guess Megaman. I don't think there is any third party that would actually properly excite me to see in smash, I'm mainly for Nintendo's first and second party characters. Maybe Rayman would be an exception but I don't really know his chances...

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I definitely see Snake and Sonic returning,I Think its safe to say that Pac-Man will be in Smash 4 Hes Iconic still relevant after being a round 32 years and has had games on each Nintendo system,And ..:) Shigeru Miyamoto created Pac-Man Vs. It also had voice sample cameo appearance's by Mario.link to Pac-Man Vs. http://pacman.wikia.com/wiki/Pac-Man_Vs.

And not only that but there is soon to be 3 Mario Kart GP's Pac-Man has had an appearance in each of them as a playable character.

I can see Mega-Man getting in iv never played any of his games but I would like to see him get in.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Wouldn't mind seeing Simon Belmont.

1. Extremely popular series with over a dozen entries.
2. Series started on Nintendo and remained with them for years.
3. Unique moveset potential with whip and magic (doesn't matter if he can't use it himself; Ness also can't use PK Starstorm).

Problem:
Namco is helping with Smash 4, and is practically Capcom's biggest rival. They may not be keen on a rival developer being represented in their game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wouldn't mind seeing Simon Belmont.

Problem:
Namco is helping with Smash 4, and is practically Capcom's biggest rival. They may not be keen on a rival developer being represented in their game.
I really think SF x Tekken is a good example of why that's not the case. I mean, in that game you had both Mega Man (Bad boxart nonwithstanding) and Pac-Man in the same game. I don't think Namco has that much say in character placement, anyway. Everything that isn't game balance comes down to Sakurai.

D

Deleted member

Problem:
Namco and Capcom can easily co-exist in the same game with their characters, especially since they've crossed-over before in Street Fighter X Tekken (especially when said cross-over for the PS3 version had Mega Man and Pac-Man in it). I'm not the one who say that a Namco rep is likely, but if Sakurai feels as a Namco and Capcom (which would be Mega Man) characters should be in and the respective company agrees (which I don't see any reason why they wouldn't), they will both co-exist.

volbound1700

Smash Master
A good outside character to grab would be Bomberman but that is not happening.

What about Crash Bandicoot? He has been supporting Nintendo systems as of late. I don't think he has very good odds but he is worth at least discussing.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
A good outside character to grab would be Bomberman but that is not happening.

What about Crash Bandicoot? He has been supporting Nintendo systems as of late. I don't think he has very good odds but he is worth at least discussing.
The only reason to get Crash or Spyro is to troll the bad part of the PSASBR fanbase.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I don't think they hate each other either. They didn't mind the fact that Snake was in Brawl during the Brawl days.
Not hate, but I think they are less affiliated than Cap and Nam. They also compete directly in the survival horror genre with Resident Evil and Silent Hill. But who knows, maybe they'll all get along and get reps, and we'll see Pac-Man, Mega Man and Snake all in the same game.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Travis Touchdown: Another of the 3rd parties I didn't know about before joining SmashBoards. After doing some research, I realized he is the only 3rd party who I do NOT want in Smash. EVER.
Wow! You really hate Travis. Well the reason he is highly considered is because as with Snake; Suda is friends with Sakurai plus he (Suda) has not hide his interest in seeing in a Smash game.

The only reason to get Crash or Spyro is to troll the bad part of the PSASBR fanbase.
LOL imagine if we get both Mega Man and Crash! Basically crash is the Mega Man of PSASBR!

D

Deleted member

SSBCandidates said:
Wow! You really hate Travis. Well the reason he is highly considered is because as with Snake; Suda is friends with Sakurai plus he (Suda) has not hide his interest in seeing in a Smash game.
Interest doesn't mean anything unless there's evidence suggesting that Sakurai is aware of it (like with Layton). Travis also suffers from being very, very obscure and not being very wanted.

D

Deleted member

Well, none but Kojima wanted Snake and he got in.
The difference between Kojima and Suda is that Kojima really want Snake in to the point where he practically begged for his inclusion in Melee. Suda just said "Yeah, it'd be cool", which isn't an indication that Suda will push for Travis's inclusion.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
The difference between Kojima and Suda is that Kojima really want Snake in to the point where he practically begged for his inclusion in Melee. Suda just said "Yeah, it'd be cool", which isn't an indication that Suda will push for Travis's inclusion.
Well we don't know if Suda has begged/not or will. Even if so does it make a difference? Maybe begging won't be necessary anymore lol.

To date we don't know how Sonic got actually in nor how the actual Capcom-Nintendo things went for Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

Well we don't know if Suda has begged/not or will. Even if so does it make a difference? Maybe begging won't be necessary anymore lol.

To date we don't know how Sonic got actually in nor how the actual Capcom-Nintendo things went for Mega Man.
But like I said, nothing indicates that Suda will go to the efforts of suggesting Travis to Sakurai, let alone beg for his inclusion.

I don't really see any reason for Sakurai to go after Travis Touchdown given his very obscure nature and being uncommonly requested. Given that I don't see Suda putting in the effort to get Travis in, it does make a big difference in that it makes Travis's inclusion really doubtful.

Sonic got in because of being the most wanted character (Sakurai went to Sega to get Sonic, not the other way around). If Mega Man does appear in the next Smash, it'll be because Sakurai goes after him (since Capcom won't be pushing for Mega Man's inclusion despite being fine with his inclusion).

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
But like I said, nothing indicates that Suda will go to the efforts of suggesting Travis to Sakurai, let alone beg for his inclusion.

I don't really see any reason for Sakurai to go after Travis Touchdown given his very obscure nature and being uncommonly requested. Given that I don't see Suda putting in the effort to get Travis in, it does make a big difference in that it makes Travis's inclusion really doubtful.

Sonic got in because of being the most wanted character (Sakurai went to Sega to get Sonic, not the other way around). If Mega Man does appear in the next Smash, it'll be because Sakurai goes after him (since Capcom won't be pushing for Mega Man's inclusion despite being fine with his inclusion).
But did Sega begged? Or did they do legal stuff? It was never clear for me.

On Mega Man Nintendo kept saying that Capcom never contacted them, while Capcom said the same on Nintendo. Something was fishy there.

D

Deleted member

But did Sega begged? Or did they do legal stuff? It was never clear for me.

On Mega Man Nintendo kept saying that Capcom never contacted them, while Capcom said the same on Nintendo. Something was fishy there.
Sega never begged for Sonic's inclusion from what we've heard. Sonic got in because he was the most wanted character, so it is implied that Sakurai went to Sega to put Sonic in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Look, Travis can't get in the way Sonic (or likely Mega Man) will get in, through massive demand, so really the only way seems to be like Snake, if Suda asks (or begs) Sakurai. As he's pretty much given the standard response to having his character included ("[It] would be great"), there's really no reason to think he'd actually go to the effort Kojima did to have his creation included, he makes no mention of actually trying to pursue it. Is it impossible Travis gets included? No, but it's also not very likely.

Top Bottom