• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Discussions only

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Layton
Namco
Geno

These IMO are the only third party choices we are likely to get. Obviously not all of them, but these are the choices :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't exactly say Geno is likely... but I don't want to start a Geno debate.

Agree with the rest though.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think another Sonic/SEGA character is now on the table with partnership thing. The Bayonetta rumors may not be all that farfetched.

I do not see anyone outside of Snake, Professor Layton, Megaman or Namco/SEGA realm.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Remove Layton and i will agree. Not that i'm against him but he isn't very likely. Especially when you compare him to his competition.

D

Deleted member

Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Layton
Namco
Geno

These IMO are the only third party choices we are likely to get. Obviously not all of them, but these are the choices :p
This. I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of here got in.
I think another Sonic/SEGA character is now on the table with partnership thing. The Bayonetta rumors may not be all that farfetched.

I do not see anyone outside of Snake, Professor Layton, Megaman or Namco/SEGA realm.
I don't see another Sega rep happening. Sakurai will avoid going overboard with characters and I highly doubt we are going to be seeing more than just Sonic from Sega.There are better choices from different companies anyway.

There's also no proof that the Sega partnership extends to Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think people are making too much of this partnership. The Wii got more than three exclusive Sonic titles... and while it's nice Nintendo will be helping with these three, they do have currently stronger or more long-lasting partnerships out there. While I do think it helps Sonic's chances, I don't think this will really affect any other Sega characters. Plus it still comes down to Sakurai's decision, no matter what partnerships are going on.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I think people are making too much of this partnership. The Wii got more than three exclusive Sonic titles... and while it's nice Nintendo will be helping with these three, they do have currently stronger or more long-lasting partnerships out there. While I do think it helps Sonic's chances, I don't think this will really affect any other Sega characters. Plus it still comes down to Sakurai's decision, no matter what partnerships are going on.
this

volbound1700

Smash Master
I agree that Sakurai likely has the call unless Sega or Nintendo really push it which I doubt they will. Sakurai may want another SEGA character but who knows. Still the chances for a 2nd Sonic character a lot higher now then they had been in the past. Perhaps going from 0.01% in my mind to 5%.

Hero_of_T1me_1997

Smash Apprentice
Sonic was the least enjoyable character to use use in brawl. I know he'll be back though. And does anybody honestly care about Pac-Man appearances in games anymore? I sure as hell don't.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Pac Man and a 2nd Sonic Rep are the two third parties I really hate the thought of being in Smash. Pac Man really doesn't have that much moveset material, and some of his supporters, as far as I've seen,are more expecting him than wanting.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Sonic was the least enjoyable character to use use in brawl. I know he'll be back though. And does anybody honestly care about Pac-Man appearances in games anymore? I sure as hell don't.
Agreed all around... though it definitely seems like a decent number of people really want Pac-Man in, and not just because he's an icon. Who knows, maybe Namco will someday bring back the Pac in a big way...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I care about Pac-Man and want him. But I guess making assumptions that EVERYONE of his supporters don't truly want him is a fact. Try thinking before making assumptions like this people. There are PLENTY of people who legitimately want Pac-Man and care about him.

TL;DR: Don't be jack asses and act like that belief is a fact when it's far from that.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I care about Pac-Man and want him. But I guess making assumptions that EVERYONE of his supporters don't truly want him is a fact. Try thinking before making assumptions like this people. There are PLENTY of people who legitimately want Pac-Man and care about him.

TL;DR: Don't be jack ***** and act like that belief is a fact when it's far from that.
Sorry, I went a little too far. And I didn't say EVERYONE. Everything has exceptions, I just tend to see people supporting Pac Man from expectation.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
god i really hope there arent anymore Sonic characters. im not that worried as im still sure there wont be another but still sayin. but if there had to be another, Tails is the one id hate the least.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I think we can all agree that if we get another Sonic character it should be Werehog Sonic.

At this point, I'm super rooting for Simon Belmont from Castlevania, though I'm worried that Smash will try to avoid putting in two third party characters from the same company (Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid = Konami)

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You're funny.
Oh, you're more of a Sonic Fantasy: The Hedgehog Within fan?

Hehe. Ohhh, SEGA.

I actually would love if they made a Super Mario RPG type game with Sonic characters, I'd be curious to see what they would come up with.

Speaking of the such... it looks like the Final Fantasy series is the top selling third-party franchise that originated on the Nintendo (and has had many Nintendo-only games). I would definitely love to see some FF representation, either through one of their classic characters (Black Mage, Moogle) or through their more recent Nintendo-only Crystal Chronicles series (Layle, another Moogle).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I actually would love if they made a Super Mario RPG type game with Sonic characters, I'd be curious to see what they would come up with.

Give this a shot.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Give this a shot.
Huh. I don't have a 3DS, but it looks like the reviews are fairly positive and gameplay sounds interesting.

Though... the name makes me think I'd be laughing the entire time. Now I kind of want to see Namco make a dark and edgy Pac-Man RPG. I'd... look up reviews for it, at least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises
So yeah, according to the list, Final Fantasy is the best-selling third party franchise that could reasonably have a Smash character. Then, Dragon Quest. Then... Pac-Man's there and then Street Fighter (though Sakurai doesn't want characters from fighters).

A Square-Enix character seems like it'd be fairly reasonable.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think we can all agree that if we get another Sonic character it should be Werehog Sonic.

At this point, I'm super rooting for Simon Belmont from Castlevania, though I'm worried that Smash will try to avoid putting in two third party characters from the same company (Castlevania and Metal Gear Solid = Konami)
Simon Belmont please. Recent game, got his start on Nintendo, and Castlevania was HUGE back then. I think both Snake and Simon being Konami is advantageous. Same company, easier to negotiate. Probably cheaper for both parties too.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I would be alright with Tails from Sonic and maybe Dr. Robotnik but I kind of don't want Knuckles, Shadow, etc. That is too much.

Also I am a Pac-Man supporter.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Konami, do you guys feel that Snake still deserves a spot in Smash even though it seems like Kojima has been neglecting the Wii U? I mean... no MGS Collection, no Revengeance (that's Platinum, but still), no MGS 5... It feels a bit weird to prominently feature him in the game when the mainline Metal Gears are skipping the platform.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
There should only be three 3rd party characters and they should be Megaman, Snake, and Sonic. I know Megaman is extremely unlikely but as far as I'm concerned those are the three who should get in.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
There should only be three 3rd party characters and they should be Megaman, Snake, and Sonic. I know Megaman is extremely unlikely but as far as I'm concerned those are the three who should get in.
No Namco characters? I get that you might not be too keen on Pac-Man, but there are quite a few Namco characters that have had a longstanding connection with Nintendo (the Tales of X characters, Mr. Driller, Baiten Kaitos, Dig Dug).

For me, Smash Bros. represents Nintendo's rich history of characters, and so many of the characters I grew up with on the NES and SNES are from other companies. I would actually love to see lots of Nintendo-related third party characters.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
No Namco characters? I get that you might not be too keen on Pac-Man, but there are quite a few Namco characters that have had a longstanding connection with Nintendo (the Tales of X characters, Mr. Driller, Baiten Kaitos, Dig Dug).

For me, Smash Bros. represents Nintendo's rich history of characters, and so many of the characters I grew up with on the NES and SNES are from other companies. I would actually love to see lots of Nintendo-related third party characters.
wow i havent seen anyone talk about Baiten Kaitos in years.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
wow i havent seen anyone talk about Baiten Kaitos in years.
Haha, yeah. I was just looking at a list of Namco games and cherrypicking out the ones that've been closely associated with Nintendo, and BK was Gamecube only. I doubt they're working on more of them though... they weren't spectacularly good games on the whole. But hey, I think the main character has a support thread here, so the series may be dead but not forgotten.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

I guess Klonoa would be alright.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Haha, yeah. I was just looking at a list of Namco games and cherrypicking out the ones that've been closely associated with Nintendo, and BK was Gamecube only. I doubt they're working on more of them though... they weren't spectacularly good games on the whole. But hey, I think the main character has a support thread here, so the series may be dead but not forgotten.
if i could have anyone from Namco, it would probably be Klonoa. i've been replaying his series lately and i really wanna see more of him someday. i mean he had i believe 2 gameboy games so thats something. otherwise Pac-Man is the only character who gets my full support

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Oh yeah. I played his game for the Wii and didn't really enjoy it, but he does seem remarkably easy to turn into a Smash character. Also, I mean, he's got Pac-Man stitched onto his hat... he practically was designed to be Namco's mascot. Also, he constantly makes cameo appearances in other Namco games so it seems they like him.

He kind of reminds me of the characters from the Sonic universe with his human-animal hybrid design and giant red shoes... I guess he's a little too goofy for me.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Oh yeah. I played his game for the Wii and didn't really enjoy it, but he does seem remarkably easy to turn into a Smash character. Also, I mean, he's got Pac-Man stitched onto his hat... he practically was designed to be Namco's mascot. Also, he constantly makes cameo appearances in other Namco games so it seems they like him.

He kind of reminds me of the characters from the Sonic universe with his human-animal hybrid design and giant red shoes... I guess he's a little too goofy for me.
i think Namco intended for him to be more than he was in some ways. but yeah i think he looks like he could fit into the Sonic universe easily. now i had this dream fairly recently of a full Namco vs Capcom fighting game and i mained Klonoa in that. anyone else think this game would b legit?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Snake definitely is the oddball since his games do not support Nintendo but rather are more a Sony supporting series. I would say that Simon Belmont would be a better rep from Konami.

Megaman, Pac-Man, Sonic, and Professor Layton should all be on everyone's third party list at least.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's a shame though, because all Konami has done with him since fully absorbing Hudson is cancel his upcoming games. I mean, he wasn't as popular as he used to be, but he still had a decent amount of popularity, especially in Japan. His future really doesn't look good, even worse than Mega Man's. Nintendo should've bought Hudson when they were looking for a buyer back in the day, they already collaborated a lot. :ohwell:

I agree with volbound in that Simon (or Bomberman), would be better Konami reps for a Nintendo-oriented crossover, but Snake's not going anywhere, and another Konami series being added is unlikely, so now it's just wishful thinking I guess. Though personally I don't have a problem with Snake.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
to me Bomberman is one of those characters that doesnt really have a good reason to not be around every so often. i do understand that his last few games didnt do that hot but still he should at least get a few ports. in a similar vein of Pac-Man really. i think even the 3DS would be beneficial to him really

Top Bottom