• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Discussions only

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I would prefer Monte D'Or as a stage. Imagine it in HD, with all the lights, Delfino Island-like. Awesome.
For the trophies not only I hope they're like hundreds of them, but I hope they come as DLC like Layton's puzzles. One trophy a day. Shouldn't be too hard to pull off. In like 5 years we could have thousands of them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I would prefer Monte D'Or as a stage. Imagine it in HD, with all the lights, Delfino Island-like. Awesome.
For the trophies not only I hope they're like hundreds of them, but I hope they come as DLC like Layton's puzzles. One trophy a day. Shouldn't be too hard to pull off. In like 5 years we could have thousands of them.
Well either St. Mystere or Monte D'or would work fine as Delfino Plaza type stages since their both small enough for that. I think both would look pretty great in HD. St. Mystere with the architecture and the tower etc and Monte D'or with all the lighting and stuff etc. Too bad we won't see both (Or either, we may as well end up with an Azran Legacies type stage)

As for the trophies, that could be. I'd be quite disapointed if we don't see many trophies related to the original Layton trilogy though... :/ I don't think they will keep it up for 5 years either but who knows I suppose... ^^;

finalark

SNORLAX
I really doubt we'll see Sonic or Snake return, since the rights to them has probably expired.

I know that Sakurai wants to use Capcom characters, so we'll probably see someone from Street Fighter or Resident Evil. Maybe Mega Man if Capcom doesn't feel like being a bunch of *****.

But most likely I think we'll see a Namco-Bandai character, probably someone from Tekken if I were to take a shot in the dark.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I really doubt we'll see Sonic or Snake return, since the rights to them has probably expired.

I know that Sakurai wants to use Capcom characters, so we'll probably see someone from Street Fighter or Resident Evil. Maybe Mega Man if Capcom doesn't feel like being a bunch of ****s.

But most likely I think we'll see a Namco-Bandai character, probably someone from Tekken if I were to take a shot in the dark.

SEGA is using Mario (a more valuable IP) over and over again in the Olympic series. I don't think it will be an issue getting Sonic for Smash again. Snake's creater begged to put him in game and Konami approached Nintendo. Again I don't see a problem.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As if the licence cannot be renewed. lol.

I know that Sakurai wants to use Capcom characters, so we'll probably see someone from Street Fighter or Resident Evil.
Resident Evil in a Nintendo flagship game which has Mario? Lolwut?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero

I know that Sakurai wants to use Capcom characters, so we'll probably see someone from Street Fighter or Resident Evil. Maybe Mega Man if Capcom doesn't feel like being a bunch of ****s.

Their licenses can be renewed.

Resident Evil? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tekken actually is the only understandable thing. IF a Namco rep happens.

finalark

SNORLAX
Their licenses can be renewed.
I wouldn't count on it.

Resident Evil? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You're forgetting this is Capcom we're talking about. Don't misunderstand me and think I want a RE character in Smash 4, I've never been a fan of those games myself.

Tekken actually is the only understandable thing. IF a Namco rep happens.
Seeing how Namco is developing the game I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Namco character. For me it's more of a when then if.

I think Soulcalibur is also a possibility too.

Resident Evil in a Nintendo flagship game which has Mario? Lolwut?
Metal Gear in a Nintendo flagship game which has Mario? Lolwut?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wouldn't count on it.

You're forgetting this is Capcom we're talking about. Don't misunderstand me and think I want a RE character in Smash 4, I've never been a fan of those games myself.

Seeing how Namco is developing the game I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Namco character. For me it's more of a when then if.

I think Soulcalibur is also a possibility too.

Metal Gear in a Nintendo flagship game which has Mario? Lolwut?
Why not?

Capcom is greedy but they are not stupid.

Yep.

Not really.

Metal Gear is a special case as Snake was added as a favor.

D

Deleted member

finalark said:
Remember that it is Sakurai that decides what third-parties get in. If Capcom was helping in making a roster, a Resident Evil character would be a real possibility, but they aren't. With third-parties being extremely difficult to put in and fit along with barely anyone requesting a Resident Evil character, I think Sakurai will pass on a Resident Evil character. So I wouldn't worry about us getting one. :)

finalark

SNORLAX
Because I'm a cynical son of a ***** and having content in your games from other companies make them more difficult to re-release down the road. IMO The whole thing seems counter productive. However, as someone else mention, SEGA frequently uses Mario in one of their games so it's not really a stretch that Sonic would return. Not sure about Snake, though.

Capcom is greedy but they are not stupid.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh wait you were serious.

Not really.
I really don't see why not. I think Tekken is more likely since it is the more popular franchise but seeing a SC character isn't entirely out of the question.

Metal Gear is a special case as Snake was added as a favor.
True that.

finalark

SNORLAX
If snake is dropped, Sakurai would make himself an enemy of Kojima. I think Snake will stay.
I don't really think such trivial things matter on the wider scale. It all boils down to how much it costs Nintendo to keep the licencing, how much of the profits go to Konami, and how cost-effective it is for Nintendo.

All it would take is Konami kicking up the amount they want from Nintendo for them to change their minds and find a company that is willing to give them a character for cheaper. I really doubt that will happen since Konami isn't dumb (outside of how they've been butchering Castlevania lately) but you never know.

Actually, this makes me wonder why Nintendo hasn't just absorbed SEGA yet.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't really think such trivial things matter on the wider scale. It all boils down to how much it costs Nintendo to keep the licencing.
However, I expect Kojima to push for Snake this time as well. As Sakurai has stated, Kojima had been begging for Snake to be in Smash since Melee. He will approach Sakurai again, and I doubt Sakurai will turn him down.

Also, there's a rumour floating around that Metal Gear Solid V is coming to Wii U. (Don't quote me on this one.)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If you asked me this question in January I would have said:
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pac-man
possibly Rayman

After the whole exclusive debacle:
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pac-man

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah, they respect the fact that Smash is Sakurai's project. Thinking that Capcom would push RE is stupid and thinking Sakurai would choose it over Street Fighter and Megaman is even stupider.

I really don't see why not. I think Tekken is more likely since it is the more popular franchise but seeing a SC character isn't entirely out of the question.
Maybe because Pac-Man, Tales, and Tekken are the only franchises that are likely to be chosen.

Kingslayer

Smash Rookie
After the whole exclusive debacle:
Sonic
Snake
Megaman
Pac-man
You sure they'll bring back snake? After MGS4 he's kind of...dead. Or really old.
Sonic I could see returning but I can't imagine the demand for a secondary character (aside from Shadow) is high enough to bring one of them in.
Pac-man would probably be a R.O.B./G&W-esque addition.
Side note: I'd cry if they put Zero in along with Megaman (He was great in MVC3) but I don't think that'll ever happen.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
You sure they'll bring back snake? After MGS4 he's kind of...dead. Or really old.
Sonic I could see returning but I can't imagine the demand for a secondary character (aside from Shadow) is high enough to bring one of them in.
Side note: I'd cry if they put Zero in along with Megaman (He was great in MVC3) but I don't think that'll ever happen.
Being dead wont stop character from being put in. We'd obviously get Zombie Snake.

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
They can just bring back MGS2 Snake, it's not a problem.

Also if they put Lloyd or Pac-Man in, I'll be happy.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I don't think Sakurai will cut snake. He did say in a past article that he is gonna try his best to bring back past veterans.

I can see Zero being 1 of the very few possble Capcom Assist Trophies. Idk how I would feel if they. Put Zero over Megaman like MvC3.

Kingslayer

Smash Rookie
I can see Zero being 1 of the very few possble Capcom Assist Trophies. Idk how I would feel if they. Put Zero over Megaman like MvC3.
I think Zero would be a better fit for smash, like a faster Marth/Link hybrid with a projectile.
I get the feeling Megaman would be too similar to Samus if anything.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
sounds more like he was talking about Nintendo characters in general than Smash characters
it seemed to me like he was talking about smash characters in general
I think Zero would be a better fit for smash, like a faster Marth/Link hybrid with a projectile.
I get the feeling Megaman would be too similar to Samus if anything.
I think megaman would work he can have different weapons like metal blade etc..

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Please no, not Megaman. Only looking up his movesets make me wanna cry. I love him in his home games, but he should not come over Smash Bros., except if he really is "Best Character Ever". I know many people want him, but I think he could be an error.

D

Deleted member

Please no, not Megaman. Only looking up his movesets make me wanna cry. I love him in his home games, but he should not come over Smash Bros., except if he really is "Best Character Ever". I know many people want him, but I think he could be an error.
Mega Man is one of the few third-parties I could see fitting in pretty well even with Sakurai's comments on third-parties being exceptionally difficult to fit in (especially Snake who has disjointed hitbox). Along with Mega Man's massive popularity and his large history with Nintendo, I feel as Mega Man is one of the very best third-party choices Sakurai could make.

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Mega Man is one of the few third-parties I could see fitting in pretty well even with Sakurai's comments on third-parties being exceptionally difficult to fit in (especially Snake who has disjointed hitbox). Along with Mega Man's massive popularity and his large history with Nintendo, I feel as Mega Man is one of the very best third-party choices Sakurai could make.
The problem is the sheer weapon mass he possess. Somebody somewhere will whine because "They didn't put Commando Bomb" or "WHY NO LEAF SHIELD". I don't want him to be forever excluded from Smash Bros., but he's such a hard character to put in ironically...

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The problem is the sheer weapon mass he possess. Somebody somewhere will whine because "They didn't put Commando Bomb" or "WHY NO LEAF SHIELD". I don't want him to be forever excluded from Smash Bros., but he's such a hard character to put in ironically...
You act like people don't do that for other characters when they're guests in many other games.

D

Deleted member

Does it really matter what weapons they put or don't put in Smash? Mega Man fans will just be glad if Mega Man is included in Smash at all (especially after the last few years have been such difficult years).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Not to mention, no one really complained like that with Sonic, who was a much bigger name. Mega Man will be fine.

D

Deleted member

Not to mention, no one really complained like that with Sonic, who was a much bigger name. Mega Man will be fine.
To be fair, a lot of people did complain about Sonic's move set being uninspiring, although that probably has to do with Sonic being a last-minute addition. I do expect his move set to be tweaked to make improvements.

TheKalmarKing

Smash Apprentice
Believe me, fans will find a way a whine and complain with no reason. Not all of them of course, not all of Megaman's fandom is completely stupid of course, but there will be whining.

And I still thought Sonic was cool...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
To be fair, a lot of people did complain about Sonic's move set being uninspiring, although that probably has to do with Sonic being a last-minute addition. I do expect his move set to be tweaked to make improvements.
True. However, no one expects Sonic to not make SSB4 due to his moveset. That was my point. But you are correct on that.

Not to mention, wasn't Sakurai not responsible at all for Sonic's moveset?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Believe me, fans will find a way a whine and complain with no reason. Not all of them of course, not all of Megaman's fandom is completely stupid of course, but there will be whining.

And I still thought Sonic was cool...
Fans will whine about anything and everything. The game could be made of solid gold and they would still complain. Just because some fans will whine doesn't mean we shouldn't do it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Maybe because Pac-Man, Tales, and Tekken are the only franchises that are likely to be chosen.
No. Saying that a relatively ignored-by-mainstream JRPG has a better chance of seeing a character than a well regarded fighting game series is nonsense. I'll agree with you on Pac-Man and Tekken having a higher possibility because Pac-Man is an icon and Tekken is more popular but Tales? No freaking way.

And don't bring up the inclusion of the Earthbound series as a counter argument. Mother is an in-house franchise from Nintendo and after filling their roster with characters from all of their A-list franchises it would make sense that they'd look to their more obscure stuff to expand the roster.

Think of it like this, who is the more likely SEGA character to get in? Sonic or Keil?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
No. Saying that a relatively ignored-by-mainstream JRPG has a better chance of seeing a character than a well regarded fighting game series is nonsense. I'll agree with you on Pac-Man and Tekken having a higher possibility because Pac-Man is an icon and Tekken is more popular but Tales? No freaking way.

And don't bring up the inclusion of the Earthbound series as a counter argument. Mother is an in-house franchise from Nintendo and after filling their roster with characters from all of their A-list franchises it would make sense that they'd look to their more obscure stuff to expand the roster.

Think of it like this, who is the more likely SEGA character to get in? Sonic or Keil?
Completely ignoring the fact that the support for characters like Lloyd Irving sky rocketed when it was revealed that the Tales team (They're among the namco guys working on Smash) was helping with SSB4 and when the one guy from the team talked about getting a character in Smash.

Top Bottom