• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
The Paper Mario TTYD JP pub....I actually see it before when i was younger. It was in my first day on internet i think. And because of this pub, i really wanted this game! (But the problem is that i never got a Gamecube and the Gamecube era was ended after at this period, meaning that all the gamecube game we're removed and i so i never got TTYD until i was older. But at the place, i got SPM when i got the Wii when i was younger! So it's a good thing in the end.) Also fun fact, i don't understand when i first saw this pub that he was talking Japanese. XD
Ahhhhh! I remember that pub! My sister showed that site to me sometime before my birthday. She asked me if I wanted it (I said yes, obviously). I vaguely remember looking at Keelhaul Key from the site. I definitely had a huge interest in it, too, because I refused to let my friend and I start Mario Party 6 on my birthday until I was satisfied with how far I got in TTYD.
Dang, I even remember looking at the Super Paper Mario site! Ah, that was the time when I kept looking at the same 30 second game-play videos and hoped I'd get a Wii for Christmas (which I did). I remember playing it for so long; my TV didn't work for some reason, so I used the larger one in the living room. I played it all day long! I remember getting to Chapter 2 and never knowing that I could have used shortcuts to get rubees, so I sat there for hours upon end simply jumping -- no joke. Eventually, I did figure out where to go from there; once I got to the wheel, I went as far as to sit the foot of a chair on the left part of the D-Pad so I wouldn't have to hold it all day. I recall watching television after placing it. Ah, good, sweet memories. Thank you for reminding me. ^^

KR_G

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
Hi I'm back sorry there was something wrong with my account

:applejack::ness:I really hope Paper Mario becomes DLC because I'm thinking about changing the CSS when you can hack the game and could give them wing cap and tanooki tails and do a PK sparks skin

And I always wanted to play as Paper Mario since brawl! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Tattle Log Entry:
VS Ryu:

Wow! You're up against Ryu! Orphaned as a child, Ryu has trained day and night to become the best fighter. He wanders the world looking for strong opponents to test his strength. I wonder how often he has to change his gi, that thing has to totally stink! Anyway, I wish I could help you, but I'm having a hard time finding a weak point. Don't let that scare you, I believe in you! Show him your strength!

I haven't done one in so long! Hope this one turned out ok. :colorful:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
I can see tattles working kind of like the Mr. Resetti assist trophy in Brawl, except the text would be along the top or bottom of the screen, instead of over the middle. I don't think it'd be read out like the KI:U ones are, though.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ouf, I am finally back from vacation now with an SSD so I can work even faster than before :)

The Paper Mario TTYD JP pub....I actually see it before when i was younger. It was in my first day on internet i think. And because of this pub, i really wanted this game! (But the problem is that i never got a Gamecube and the Gamecube era was ended after at this period, meaning that all the gamecube game we're removed and i so i never got TTYD until i was older. But at the place, i got SPM when i got the Wii when i was younger! So it's a good thing in the end.) Also fun fact, i don't understand when i first saw this pub that he was talking Japanese. XD
Ahhhhh! I remember that pub! My sister showed that site to me sometime before my birthday. She asked me if I wanted it (I said yes, obviously). I vaguely remember looking at Keelhaul Key from the site. I definitely had a huge interest in it, too, because I refused to let my friend and I start Mario Party 6 on my birthday until I was satisfied with how far I got in TTYD.
Dang, I even remember looking at the Super Paper Mario site! Ah, that was the time when I kept looking at the same 30 second game-play videos and hoped I'd get a Wii for Christmas (which I did). I remember playing it for so long; my TV didn't work for some reason, so I used the larger one in the living room. I played it all day long! I remember getting to Chapter 2 and never knowing that I could have used shortcuts to get rubees, so I sat there for hours upon end simply jumping -- no joke. Eventually, I did figure out where to go from there; once I got to the wheel, I went as far as to sit the foot of a chair on the left part of the D-Pad so I wouldn't have to hold it all day. I recall watching television after placing it. Ah, good, sweet memories. Thank you for reminding me. ^^
Really?

never thought these were nostalgia inducing to you :)

Btw, I would love to see what the TTYD site was like. The spm one is.....kinda vivid which is really awesome for paper mario, but I always was curious about TTYD :)

since Paper Mario fans are Mario fans I want to share this video http://youtu.be/sBTdGHiT1OI this video is about Mario medley remix and his history (Paper Mario is included there)
*WARNING TOO MUCH NOSTALGIC*
......let me be a bit honest, I really don't like SS music.....AT ALL.

Actually, the one remixed here was pretty much something I didn't even care to listen because I was too pissed when I got how the final boss is supposed to go (you're basically OP, I miss you strategy.....).

Though, it has the partners's jp name so i guess there's that, but just.....look at least 90% of the music NOT from SS was much better suited for remix, especially pm64. I mean just listen to this:

pm64 tbh is the game music that is the most remixable. Seriously, I even heard some metal version and tbh they felt a bit better.
Hi I'm back sorry there was something wrong with my account

:applejack::ness:I really hope Paper Mario becomes DLC because I'm thinking about changing the CSS when you can hack the game and could give them wing cap and tanooki tails and do a PK sparks skin

And I always wanted to play as Paper Mario since brawl! :D
....just be careful with posting in a row, you just got a warning :(

You could easily use an image editing program to have him in the CSS (and I should do it one day) or use a program to create a roster and export in image.

But I was severely disappointed with any brawl hack of him. Really, idk if project m could do it right, but none of the hacks I saw were feeling him.....he just needs his own character :)

paper mario, o paper mario,
stay strong and stay firm
don't fold under pressure,
thin out, or get a perm
....wow, that was well written :)

You know, I could post them on tumblr with hey gorgeous font, goign to be awesome so, don;t hesitate if you have small stuff like these, it's always fun to see :)

btw, feel too lazy to check, but are you on the supporter list?

if not, I could add you :)

Tattle Log Entry:
VS Ryu:

Wow! You're up against Ryu! Orphaned as a child, Ryu has trained day and night to become the best fighter. He wanders the world looking for strong opponents to test his strength. I wonder how often he has to change his gi, that thing has to totally stink! Anyway, I wish I could help you, but I'm having a hard time finding a weak point. Don't let that scare you, I believe in you! Show him your strength!

I haven't done one in so long! Hope this one turned out ok. :colorful:
YAY!!!!!!!

i will add it to the OP shortly :)

btw, his weak point is superguard :)

I can see tattles working kind of like the Mr. Resetti assist trophy in Brawl, except the text would be along the top or bottom of the screen, instead of over the middle. I don't think it'd be read out like the KI:U ones are, though.
Exactly, they don't even need VA to implement it which makes it plausible. They just need to format the text, have the text scroll sfx and the animation. It is requiring effort, but not nearly as much as fox or pit had to. Btw, text on top please, TTYD had no text on bottom afaik.

Decided to make you guys a little something

Find more at my thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/therealheroofwinds-art-thread-now-with-support-signatures.391230/
Thanks, finally you posted here :)

I saw you lurking a lot and I do know you as you used to be yougnsora :)

Will add them to the OP under sigs stuff :)

So yeah, I was in vacation all day so i don;t have much to add. I just will resume support like usual and basically get back in business because I jut got back of a 4 days trip :)

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Decided to make you guys a little something

Find more at my thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/therealheroofwinds-art-thread-now-with-support-signatures.391230/
Wow, that's awesome! I'd love to use that as a signature! :bee:
Really?

never thought these were nostalgia inducing to you :)

Btw, I would love to see what the TTYD site was like. The spm one is.....kinda vivid which is really awesome for paper mario, but I always was curious about TTYD :)

......let me be a bit honest, I really don't like SS music.....AT ALL.
When I think about it-Ahhhh, I can't even describe what it's like to just reminisce about those memories. I'm even starting to remember some that I had further in with TTYD, like how I always skipped the dialogue when I was in a hurry, so I ended up not knowing what to do after being in Rogueport before Chapter 3. If I recall correctly, I legitimately stopped playing for two months to about a year. Apparently that stump was too much for me to restart the game, or somethin'. I remember that huge feeling of accomplishment I had when I found Ishnail and he said he'd tell me how to get the tickets. Oh man. :laugh:
Interesting. I found the soundtrack to be alright. Compared to the other games, however, they aren't as memorable. I found the battle themes to be the best out of the soundtrack, though.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Add me to the support list!

New and improved, with NEW capital letters and redone wording!

Paper Mario, O Paper Mario,
Stay strong, you must learn.
Don't fold under pressure,
or thin out; just stay firm.

Likey?

D

Deleted member

What could be Paper Mario's title in the Boxing Ring?

My guess is "The Paper Thin Hero".

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Does anyone know if you can super guard Bonetail's bite attack, an explosion from a Bob-ulk, or an explosion from a Bulky Bob-omb? According to the Super Mario Wiki, you will still take damage.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
It's been way too long since I've actually made a post on this support thread. Just want you guys to know that I still want Paper Mario in more than ever, and I've still been keeping up in this thread, just not posting. So, to make it up to you guys, I've got a few things to show you.

First off, I have a new sig for Smashboards, and I think it's pretty nifty. Obviously includes Paper Mario.

My mains and most wanted DLC characters. Some series icons come from this thread here on Smashboards. Thanks to @Onyx Oblivian @RhymesWithEmpty @deuxhero and @Curious Villager for most of them.

In case you guys were wondering about that Paper Mario hammer icon, don't. Here ya go.

Teeny bit sloppy but I think it turned out alright. Might remake it in the future if I have more tools. It's a heavy edit of the one made by Onyx, with reference from the one made by @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

Here's some images of a project I made for a small donation event I helped manage. We had Smash 4 out where people could come up and pay a bit for the chance to win one of these. If they won the game they get to choose one of these tokens to keep.

I also made a bunch for Mario Kart 8, but I we didn't get the chance to use them since we weren't able to set it up at the time. Here's some more images of both kinds.

Now, for what you've all been waiting for...

GUYS I'M LEAKING A PHOTO OF THE NEW HD VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL PAPER MARIO FOR THE N64!!!

I'm kidding, I made this of course. It was a little personal project of mine to create a cover of a Wii U game, and I think I did a pretty good job. Here's a few more shots of it, including a clean image with a backside including all the game information.

That's it for now, I hope you enjoyed some of the stuff I made. Byyyyyeee. :p

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Add me to the support list!

New and improved, with NEW capital letters and redone wording!

Paper Mario, O Paper Mario,
Stay strong, you must learn.
Don't fold under pressure,
or thin out; just stay firm.

Likey?
I like it so much I actually put that in the OP with credits, btw you;re on the list too :)

@ TheRealHeroOfWinds TheRealHeroOfWinds same, I added your sig, credits with your thread link :)

@ Rockaphin Rockaphin added your new tattle :)

What could be Paper Mario's title in the Boxing Ring?

My guess is "The Paper Thin Hero".
The Great Gonzales.

there, end of discussion, there is just not much ideas out there because this one is suggested literally every time.....(it's just fitting so much).

I mean even ssb4 reference that name in the paper yoshi trophy.....

Does anyone know if you can super guard Bonetail's bite attack, an explosion from a Bob-ulk, or an explosion from a Bulky Bob-omb? According to the Super Mario Wiki, you will still take damage.
I just tested with the bulky bomb-omb and it actually is true, but confirming the rest might be harder so I would leave it to that and test if I am bored one day (which tbh is rare being a paper mario fan :) ).

It's been way too long since I've actually made a post on this support thread. Just want you guys to know that I still want Paper Mario in more than ever, and I've still been keeping up in this thread, just not posting. So, to make it up to you guys, I've got a few things to show you.

First off, I have a new sig for Smashboards, and I think it's pretty nifty. Obviously includes Paper Mario.

My mains and most wanted DLC characters. Some series icons come from this thread here on Smashboards. Thanks to @Onyx Oblivian @RhymesWithEmpty @deuxhero and @Curious Villager for most of them.

In case you guys were wondering about that Paper Mario hammer icon, don't. Here ya go.

Teeny bit sloppy but I think it turned out alright. Might remake it in the future if I have more tools. It's a heavy edit of the one made by Onyx, with reference from the one made by @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5

Here's some images of a project I made for a small donation event I helped manage. We had Smash 4 out where people could come up and pay a bit for the chance to win one of these. If they won the game they get to choose one of these tokens to keep.

I also made a bunch for Mario Kart 8, but I we didn't get the chance to use them since we weren't able to set it up at the time. Here's some more images of both kinds.

GUYS I'M LEAKING A PHOTO OF THE NEW HD VERSION OF THE ORIGINAL PAPER MARIO FOR THE N64!!!

I'm kidding, I made this of course. It was a little personal project of mine to create a cover of a Wii U game, and I think I did a pretty good job. Here's a few more shots of it, including a clean image with a backside including all the game information.

the icon has not the right color and the rightmost part of the head should be more detailed, but it is a MUCH better quality than mine. If you would correct these it would be
...euh excuse me I meant

:)

These tokens looks nice as well as the sig (idk you used ganondorf).

As for these cover, well just a thing on the character design. The partner didn;t have gradient.....at all while there should be a slight amount while paper mario had.....well slightly too much, but msotly misused. See, I got how the depth effect works with the artstyle, you are supposed to have opposite gradients from the center to the edge. Here's a plain circle ripped from TTYS to illustrate this:

c_hannya_n-.mm1.png

You see the gradient that is really striking against the bright edges?

that;s what you want, like the dark part near his thumbs up for example is odd.....

also he has bars on the bottom of his boots, yes I know his design that well to notice such lack :)

the bg is well made though as well as the logo.

but the backcover was surprinsingly the highlight here. The text in English and the way it's made is fine except the non hd screenshots :)

But the text in French was just hilarious.

@ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi just read what I will say because out of every mess you did with google translate, none of them beat this one.

I will skip the usual lack of transition and feelling that you just statre words out of nowhere and bring up the logical issues.

First, you actually told that the world was recreated from an original piece of paper, not the actual game. I know CD are thin, but still not paper :) It;s clearly phisically here, not figuratively which makes it hilarious :)

Glorious here is not what you wanted to say, it's mroe related to fame here, it's jsut far from saying tht they are basically amazing or

enrolling here is mostly used for army so you implied that goombario and bombette are soldier and paper mario is the general or something.....it;s rarely used that way....

You don;t really say the the heat is figurative honestly, it feels like it is a battle that is phisically hot :)

You said that the quest are supplementary AND secondary, lol.

And last but DEFINITELY not least, you told that paper mario gets new business partners. Congratulation, you now told us that paper mario is an army general that enroll people and a business man that has partnership with his soldiers.

Seriously, cliff, I am not joking. rip French reader :(

But legit, that was hilarious.

So, I will post a bit more stuff on tumblr int he coming days as I have more stuff :)

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I like it so much I actually put that in the OP with credits, btw you;re on the list too :)

@ TheRealHeroOfWinds TheRealHeroOfWinds same, I added your sig, credits with your thread link :)

@ Rockaphin Rockaphin added your new tattle :)

The Great Gonzales.

there, end of discussion, there is just not much ideas out there because this one is suggested literally every time.....(it's just fitting so much).

I mean even ssb4 reference that name in the paper yoshi trophy.....

I just tested with the bulky bomb-omb and it actually is true, but confirming the rest might be harder so I would leave it to that and test if I am bored one day (which tbh is rare being a paper mario fan :) ).

the icon has not the right color and the rightmost part of the head should be more detailed, but it is a MUCH better quality than mine. If you would correct these it would be
...euh excuse me I meant

These tokens looks nice as well as the sig (idk you used ganondorf).

As for these cover, well just a thing on the character design. The partner didn;t have gradient.....at all while there should be a slight amount while paper mario had.....well slightly too much, but msotly misused. See, I got how the depth effect works with the artstyle, you are supposed to have opposite gradients from the center to the edge. Here's a plain circle ripped from TTYS to illustrate this:

View attachment 68200

You see the gradient that is really striking against the bright edges?

that;s what you want, like the dark part near his thumbs up for example is odd.....

also he has bars on the bottom of his boots, yes I know his design that well to notice such lack :)

the bg is well made though as well as the logo.

but the backcover was surprinsingly the highlight here. The text in English and the way it's made is fine except the non hd screenshots :)

But the text in French was just hilarious.

@ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi just read what I will say because out of every mess you did with google translate, none of them beat this one.

I will skip the usual lack of transition and feelling that you just statre words out of nowhere and bring up the logical issues.

First, you actually told that the world was recreated from an original piece of paper, not the actual game. I know CD are thin, but still not paper :) It;s clearly phisically here, not figuratively which makes it hilarious :)

Glorious here is not what you wanted to say, it's mroe related to fame here, it's jsut far from saying tht they are basically amazing or

enrolling here is mostly used for army so you implied that goombario and bombette are soldier and paper mario is the general or something.....it;s rarely used that way....

You don;t really say the the heat is figurative honestly, it feels like it is a battle that is phisically hot :)

You said that the quest are supplementary AND secondary, lol.

And last but DEFINITELY not least, you told that paper mario gets new business partners. Congratulation, you now told us that paper mario is an army general that enroll people and a business man that has partnership with his soldiers.

Seriously, cliff, I am not joking. rip French reader :(

But legit, that was hilarious.

So, I will post a bit more stuff on tumblr int he coming days as I have more stuff :)
I don't use Google Translate for laughter purposes anymore, but ok.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

My heart just skipped a couple of beats... Oh god, how dare you?!

Everything looks good dude. Nice work.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
It makes me sad when I have to revive the thread in fourth page :(

Anyway, here;s something I should bring up regarding paper jam because I may have told it, but I don;t think I explained why it could matter a lot.

It;s been months that I noticed it, but did you noticed how irregular the camera angle in the overworld is for an m&l game?

Usually, in any m&l game, the camera is an aerial top view with slight deviation so it is a diagonal view leaning on the top. This is probably made so that we see the map and the character proportionally to better check the surrounding and because everything is in 3d, it;s fine.

But the paper mario series is not that. That series in any game (yes, even SS) features a side view. The only time we have a top view, it looks intentionally odd because the papers are viewed tilted making it not entirely visible and doesn;t face the player. With a side view however, everything is directly facing the player so the models are very thin, but everything about them are visible.

Guess what camera view paper jam has?

A side view, exactly like one you would expect from any paper mario game.

I saw people saying that paper jam doesn;t have enough paper mario, btu this design decision is actually why I think the opposite. To me, it is the most important and overlooked detail of the game. It allows a very different perspective to show us paper mario stuff.

First, any paper mario artstyle will fit nicely because they will always face the player. If we had a top view, this would be impossible, but if we had a top view, this would make a better surrounding exploration. The fact that this was dropped in order to even make the paper mario stuff fit is huge.

Second, if we had an entire map made of paper mario style, it will feel very natural. In fact, I would be honest, the m&l map does feel different because of this view. Even quest 3 which is basically entirely made of paper just feels natural.

Third, any paper character can be int he game. Like, it allows them to jsut feels nice even in m&l context and the white outlines helps that, but the camera view will prevent oddities.

Last, but not least, any animation of paper mario will feel paper mario. We still can see everything he does because he would face the player.

The fact that they dropped some m&l familiarities to make paper mario feel natural is something that tells me that they are going big here.

A paper mario world would even be possible, paper characters would be possible and even the exploration style of paper mario will feel better with the camera angle.

What do you guys think? Do you think this new camera angle in m&l sounds promising to integrate paper mario in it?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You know that Paper Mario's got tons of support to this day when it's stated that Captain Toad got less of a following.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/
Those info are really good for us. Of course it confirm nothing but Japan seem to really like Paper Mario! So this is a good thing!
Unfortunately, this is far from new.

So much that I literally expected this to happen some hours before the article was released (proof here, I was the first to guess that actually). Only 2 people actually did that and the other person is a known supporter.

This article just is another proof of his consistency, nothing in this article was remotely surprising as far as paper amrio and captain toad are concerned.

Even captain toad, that's known since months. On every poll I judge trusted, captain toad was quite far behind him, JP was I think even worse (and it is a high difference, top 20 and top 10 is huge).

Like I think I told this many time, but here;s what you should expect from any poll that is deemed quite accurate (from hardcore fans at least) no matter if JP or US:

Paper Mario should be on top 10 raw data and he should AT LEAST lean towards top 5 without irrelevant data, you will commonly find top 5, but it might be very close like 6, but most of the time, 5. Top 10 raw however is like really common.

This is valid from a lot of polls I saw. It might get into top 15 if there;s a lot of third party, but just use your common sense because it doesn't mean that these are THAT much more likely.

You should also feel that his position is kinda similar from JP to US, his consistency has been known since months again because I kept viewing a lot of polls, and they actually felt similar to JP.

So, guys, don;t overhype on this. It's not new, this was expected since months and I myself didn't think there would be much changes (and there isn't).

In fact, I would even tag @PushDustIn here simply because I actually talked with him about his situation more and I don;t think he ever told me this, but I think he would have expected this to happen anyway.

Like what strike me as odd is apparently, this wasn't known of how likely it was to be top 10. I really am surprised that long time speculators didn't guessed paper mario, he was so safe to guess, idk why people forgot him. Like, sure, it jsut helps and won;t make or cut him, but remember that his situation is in a position where popularity ESPECIALLY if positive, helps a huge amount here. Mostly because it would overturn a possible fear that Sakurai would have to overkill the mario franchise.

he is just one of the most ignored contender, but also one of the likely possibilities....

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Unfortunately, this is far from new.

So much that I literally expected this to happen some hours before the article was released (proof here, I was the first to guess that actually). Only 2 people actually did that and the other person is a known supporter.

This article just is another proof of his consistency, nothing in this article was remotely surprising as far as paper amrio and captain toad are concerned.

Even captain toad, that's known since months. On every poll I judge trusted, captain toad was quite far behind him, JP was I think even worse (and it is a high difference, top 20 and top 10 is huge).

Like I think I told this many time, but here;s what you should expect from any poll that is deemed quite accurate (from hardcore fans at least) no matter if JP or US:

Paper Mario should be on top 10 raw data and he should AT LEAST lean towards top 5 without irrelevant data, you will commonly find top 5, but it might be very close like 6, but most of the time, 5. Top 10 raw however is like really common.

This is valid from a lot of polls I saw. It might get into top 15 if there;s a lot of third party, but just use your common sense because it doesn't mean that these are THAT much more likely.

You should also feel that his position is kinda similar from JP to US, his consistency has been known since months again because I kept viewing a lot of polls, and they actually felt similar to JP.

So, guys, don;t overhype on this. It's not new, this was expected since months and I myself didn't think there would be much changes (and there isn't).

In fact, I would even tag @PushDustIn here simply because I actually talked with him about his situation more and I don;t think he ever told me this, but I think he would have expected this to happen anyway.

Like what strike me as odd is apparently, this wasn't known of how likely it was to be top 10. I really am surprised that long time speculators didn't guessed paper mario, he was so safe to guess, idk why people forgot him. Like, sure, it jsut helps and won;t make or cut him, but remember that his situation is in a position where popularity ESPECIALLY if positive, helps a huge amount here. Mostly because it would overturn a possible fear that Sakurai would have to overkill the mario franchise.

he is just one of the most ignored contender, but also one of the likely possibilities....
I don't overhype. I just say it's good to see that Paper Mario as still a good number of fan in Japan. Even tough he is not the most popular. So yeah, It's doesn't confirm anything we don't known or so.:4gaw: But hey, it make me a little happy.:4jigglypuff:

MasterOfZoroark

Smash Rookie
NNID
MasterOfZoroark
3DS FC
2165-8685-8074
While I think we have enough Mario representatives already, I wouldn't mind Paper Mario joining. In fact, he's behind Banjo & Kazooie as my most wanted character for the Smash Ballot. I can see his move-set being very different from Mario and Dr. Mario. Plus, he actually seems to have potential and might be fun to play as. I hope he makes it in!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I know that this thread has been declining in interest lately, but I just got a reflection on him that would be interesting to get your takes on it.

I was browsing stuff from the brawl days and I found a thread that was mostly negative on the idea of paper mario for brawl. The whole thread was 4 pages of basically people trying (and honestly failing miserably without knowing) to prove that paper mario = mario, mario in the game = why?

There were also a lot of praise for geno in contrast, but that's beside the point. The point is some people DID acknowledged some differences, they however didn't told the full picture and they basically are telling that it's just doesn't change that he's still mario.

Aside from the obvious argument of paper jam giving paper mario as his name, to me this really does raise the question:

What makes paper mario not mario in practice?

Because in theory, well his origin are mario (he can't BE THE mario because of paper jam).

What I noticed is most people who argue against has really messed up answers to that question. Some might completely deny any differences other than being in paper, but others do note some. The most popular is the artstyle, but alone, this doesn't make it. It doesn't mean that dr mario which have a different style of clothing isn't mario.....

Others points out moveset, but again, if toon link was as less of a clone as possible, it would still feel like link cause they are basically using very similar abilities and the way they use them are also similar.

The problem is this: most won;t go further. I think supporters here will understand that this just isn't the full picture.

If I try to answer this with an exhaustive manner, here's what would be my answer:

Paper Mario has different origins as of his series being kinda disconnected of the mario one and just being in theory a lot different, the genre, the design choices, most of the paper mario series is hard to be much similar to the main mario series. The only thing that feels similar is basically that it is ONE OF the mario subseries, but in concept, it differs a lot.

His world is very different allowing for a very different feel as a character. Being in a paper world changes the way you would act with this character, even turning from left to right constantly remind you of the quirkiness of his world. It changes how he can interact with this world and how he lives pretty much. This is important as it gives a distinctive definition of paper mario as a character.

After, you have his personality. This is felt as you play his games (which is actually why it's the least mentioned), but it strongly differs from mario. Mario would feel like a character that is just happy overall. The problem is it's kinda hard to give him a very well defined personality.. You could say he loves to jump.....that he has some emotions....but tbh, it's kinda hard to have a very well defined personality in his main series. Paper Mario on the other hand, you could go a lot further. I actually tried to do this and I noticed that it really is well defined. He would be someone who just wants to have fun when fighting. It would go as far as to make his audience happy and root for him, I said once that this is like his fuel in fighting. He's someone who wants that his enemy gets that as his crowd is close to him. Then, you have his partners which are just like his crowd: they root for him and paper mario basically has mutual trust with them. As much as his hammer actually.

There;s several animations that points to this, just the stylish and the thumbs up are quite telling, but just plainly having an appeal command.....this is really pointing towards that. This could be because it is an rpg, but his artstyle even helps. See, being always facing the players, his emotions and reactions feels more defined, even the Charles voices just fees more intense and it is the same voice actor. This could be true for any paper characters though.

Finally, I would mention his abilities. Paper abilities not only allows attacks, but also quirky animations. His partners allows for having versatile moves and his main attacks allows to basically have a wide variety of situation to use them. This is important when you mix this with his personality, the moves themselves are very diverse, but the way he will present them would correlate with his feel. To me, he;s a fighter that would try to be appealing while using his versatile moves as a paper in motion. That;s pretty much his goals in fighting summarised in one sentence and it is a well defined playstyle.

Add all of this and you might wonder that not all of these matters.....they actually do.

See, Sakurai WILL care for these. He said multiple time that the way the character is and the way the character do stuff in his games matters a lot in how is playstyle is made and his moves. The GDC conference he did for brawl is the one that is the most obvious, what matters is what the character FEELS and what feels it does when fighting with or against him. G&W has laggy animations on purpose to give the g&w feel. Toon link having several facial expression cause his game just emphase that. You could go on and on, but how he interact with his world and how it feels to the player just matters a lot.

If it only took the more defined emotions, the different interaction with his world and his different feel for toon link to be in as a semi clone.....

idk why people don;t get how paper mario makes sense since it's pretty much almost impossible for him to be a clone.

Btw, you can;t do this with other mario. If I take soemthing like mario in a kart or striker mario, well, sure, they look a bit different and they could do different moves, but does the character defined enough to give a different feel to it?

To me this is like dr mario, it's ok to be a clone as he just isn't defioned enough to drift away from mario. Same as toon link, altough, his personality does differ, not his playstyle, only slightly.

Paper Mario goes beyond that and thus why it;s not redundancy.

What would you answer to that question? How does Paper Mario isn';t mario in practice?

Btw @ MasterOfZoroark MasterOfZoroark I already added you to the supporter list :)

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
since Paper Mario fans are Mario fans I want to share this video http://youtu.be/sBTdGHiT1OI this video is about Mario medley remix and his history (Paper Mario is included there)
*WARNING TOO MUCH NOSTALGIC*
Without clicking this link, I'm guessing you're talking about the Amusing Expo video, judging by Aldelaro saying the he doesn't like SS' music, since the Amusing Expo medley has SS' Kersti's Power theme in it.
Yup, I nailed it.

This video is also a celebration of Mario:
And it has Paper Mario in it at one point. (TTYD to be exact)

(Sorry if this has already been posted though)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Without clicking this link, I'm guessing you're talking about the Amusing Expo video, judging by Aldelaro saying the he doesn't like SS' music, since the Amusing Expo medley has SS' Kersti's Power theme in it.
Yup, I nailed it.

This video is also a celebration of Mario:
And it has Paper Mario in it at one point. (TTYD to be exact)

(Sorry if this has already been posted though)
Actually, you missed one.

There was M&L battle theme (which is actually quite catchy.....but I found the remix a bit overkill) and RIGHT AFTER (like t6he second after) you have pm64 battle theme which I did found overkill too (tbh I should say the video itself felt a bit too much, it';s not really the type of stuff that you put in these music that makes them better imo).

But that TTYD one, was VERY fitting.

It;s basically the main theme, but I found that it's really close to the famous we believe in you mario except that it's more exaggerated. It would start at the part where there's a huge slowdown and you hear a violon, you take a while to hear a a really high crescendo.

This remix is softer at the beginning, has more progress with the crescendo (it's more gradual) and the end is exactly how it should sound like: feeling like a summit.

I would be interesting to see the composer do the entire music because this piece (which had to be accelerated and cut) just that was quite

And saying this from me who just think we believe in you mario is the best vgm you could hear ever......well hearing a remix that I like is FREAKING rare.

Would hope that people does that, to me, a good remix take the original intent of it and just makes it more pleasant to hear. The piano video I linked of pm64, to me, the piano is already fitting with almost anything pm64 because the music are so soft.

Btw guys, @PushDustIn made a little pol which you might want to answer and it also gives you a choice to type the newcomers you would want so I would suggest to of course put Paper Mario :)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kv...1C7ZLibm0uIX3BMQ/viewform?edit_requested=true

As for why this thread is so inactive, frankly, it;s expected. Pretty much everyone (like me!) is thirsty for getting news smash or anything really. I seriously still can;t wait for paper jam info because I really think they should talk about it eventually. it just has so much potential.

With a month before the ballot end, there's just isn't much to say. I assume pretty much most people here voted (if you didn't, I suggest you would) so all there's left to do is just wait.

I have actually been checking the other more active support thread and it;s basically what happens, we just wait for stuff.

So, just don;t worry too much about the thread here, it might have more discussion going if we could have paper jam info, but right now, it's normal to have a drought :)

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Ooh, Paper Mario!
I actually wanted him most when the ballot first released. I support Bandana Dee more now, but I would really like to see Paper Mario in Smash.
Hopefully his moveset would be based off of EVERY Paper Mario game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ooh, Paper Mario!
I actually wanted him most when the ballot first released. I support Bandana Dee more now, but I would really like to see Paper Mario in Smash.
Hopefully his moveset would be based off of EVERY Paper Mario game.

I don;t think you are actually on the list so I might have to add you, but just to be sure, you did voted for both?

Cause like I told you in the other thread, you should vote for both :)

But my moveset in the second post is actually having elements from all his games and going tbh hones with you, it just seems logical.

best dash attack? pm64 :)

Best overall potential and partners? TTYD :)

Best grab? spm :)

And I really think i need to say it, but best tilts is SS. SS might really not offer the same quality as a game, but the moves are useful. They are odd, quick and random, to me, this fit a lot the tilts.

A set including all games elements with a slight priority on first 2/3 games is just

man I love to do this :)

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434

I don;t think you are actually on the list so I might have to add you, but just to be sure, you did voted for both?

Cause like I told you in the other thread, you should vote for both :)

But my moveset in the second post is actually having elements from all his games and going tbh hones with you, it just seems logical.

best dash attack? pm64 :)

Best overall potential and partners? TTYD :)

Best grab? spm :)

And I really think i need to say it, but best tilts is SS. SS might really not offer the same quality as a game, but the moves are useful. They are odd, quick and random, to me, this fit a lot the tilts.

A set including all games elements with a slight priority on first 2/3 games is just

man I love to do this :)
I voted for both Bandana Dee and Paper Mario.
You're right with the moveset. SS wasn't exactly hard-hitting…But Super Paper Mario was EPIC. I never played the other ones, so my ideal specials are mostly based off of SPM and PMSS.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I voted for both Bandana Dee and Paper Mario.
You're right with the moveset. SS wasn't exactly hard-hitting…But Super Paper Mario was EPIC. I never played the other ones, so my ideal specials are mostly based off of SPM and PMSS.
You really should get pm64 if you have a wiiu seriously :)

it;s JUST 10$, for what you get, it's worth that a lot.

TTYD is a more polished version of pm64 if you want (so muich that there's big reasons why TTYD got so many praise), but pm64 has the advantage of being REALLY slow paced allowing you to appreciate the game more.

And fun fact, spm had many stuff from TTYD so yeah :)

Spm was really good however, it did had more flaws, but they weren't much tbh. The plot is alone why that game is so good, but the gameplay to me was genius. Unfortunately it just got to be the msot underrated game :(

But yeah, you really should play pm64 on VC, they actuallly improved it over the wii version since you have rumble, you have off tv play and most importantly, you have no lags. The Wii version had a lot of lags if you paused the game.

I actually have a phisical cart :)

...well all phisiscal :)

anyway, just get pm64, you'll love it and actually, a lot of paper mario's potential is in pm64 and TTYD :)

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
You really should get pm64 if you have a wiiu seriously :)

it;s JUST 10$, for what you get, it's worth that a lot.

TTYD is a more polished version of pm64 if you want (so muich that there's big reasons why TTYD got so many praise), but pm64 has the advantage of being REALLY slow paced allowing you to appreciate the game more.

And fun fact, spm had many stuff from TTYD so yeah :)

Spm was really good however, it did had more flaws, but they weren't much tbh. The plot is alone why that game is so good, but the gameplay to me was genius. Unfortunately it just got to be the msot underrated game :(

But yeah, you really should play pm64 on VC, they actuallly improved it over the wii version since you have rumble, you have off tv play and most importantly, you have no lags. The Wii version had a lot of lags if you paused the game.

I actually have a phisical cart :)

...well all phisiscal :)

anyway, just get pm64, you'll love it and actually, a lot of paper mario's potential is in pm64 and TTYD :)
I think SPM was probably one of the best video games of all time. The gameplay AND the story were both absolutely genius. Perfect.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think SPM was probably one of the best video games of all time. The gameplay AND the story were both absolutely genius. Perfect.
Yeah the writting beat TTYD at some places, the only problem is TTYD was consistently good while spm......you had baldn and REEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLY good parts and it just isn;t consistent, but the good parts are so good that it doesn;t matter much.

Like 3-4.....best scene in the entire series. In fact, when I played the game, I was mind blown by how underrated it was.....

But seriously, I strongly recommend to play pm64 (because it;s accessible) and TTYD.....really, is the best game I played.....ever.

TTYD mind blew me with how much everything was just awesome. The battle system is the main point, it's the only one of any turn by turn rpg I played that I WANTED it to repeat, usually it becomes tiring, but this one is so satisfying, you just want to do battles over and over.

pm64 being based on it, it's why I really recommend it, if you love pm64, then try to get TTYD because as hard as it is to get it.....it';s worth it :)

Why they don;t put both on VC?

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Yeah the writting beat TTYD at some places, the only problem is TTYD was consistently good while spm......you had baldn and REEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLY good parts and it just isn;t consistent, but the good parts are so good that it doesn;t matter much.

Like 3-4.....best scene in the entire series. In fact, when I played the game, I was mind blown by how underrated it was.....

But seriously, I strongly recommend to play pm64 (because it;s accessible) and TTYD.....really, is the best game I played.....ever.

TTYD mind blew me with how much everything was just awesome. The battle system is the main point, it's the only one of any turn by turn rpg I played that I WANTED it to repeat, usually it becomes tiring, but this one is so satisfying, you just want to do battles over and over.

pm64 being based on it, it's why I really recommend it, if you love pm64, then try to get TTYD because as hard as it is to get it.....it';s worth it :)

Why they don;t put both on VC?
I'll see!
SPM gave me too many feels at the end.
TOO MANY.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'll see!
SPM gave me too many feels at the end.
TOO MANY.
Well, that;s where it exceed the TEC story of TTYD (it;s basically a love with peach and a computer, won;t go further because it is actually deep).

To me, the real feels starts with these memory music, man i love these (I even use the first one to read and study). They really give the feels of something locked that can;t be grasped and as it goes, it sounds more and more tragic. The setup with the white on black text is just perfect.

The promise music is like that thing was about to unfold and really, I legit shed some tears when I heard bounding through time, that music is so much cheerful, not as much as we believe in you mario, but wow.

it was really something plot wise, but also humor wise, I had to take a break to laugh a bit after I read the fracktail errors, omg these were too hilarious :)

And Francis killed me, btw, if you didn't get what he was talking about with stuff like X-naut and the room with the computers, that;s because it's heavy reference to TTYD.

And swwon.exe was just, they really outdone themselves IS. Like, they really took the internet troll persona and put it in him so perfectly that it actually feels satiric :)

Btw, if you son;t know what believe in you mario is, well this is kind of a spoiler because you hear this music almost at the end, but I just need to link it with how majestic it is:

it is the best music I EVER hears because it is the perfect representation of a long progression going with up and down. Seriously, it is the best motivation music....and it has 8bit part at one point which leads me to ask.....

What was your reaction on that fight in spm?

Me first, loved the 8bit style and I instantly tought of earthbound, that was so funny :)

Crimson23

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0662-3915-4434
Well, that;s where it exceed the TEC story of TTYD (it;s basically a love with peach and a computer, won;t go further because it is actually deep).

To me, the real feels starts with these memory music, man i love these (I even use the first one to read and study). They really give the feels of something locked that can;t be grasped and as it goes, it sounds more and more tragic. The setup with the white on black text is just perfect.

The promise music is like that thing was about to unfold and really, I legit shed some tears when I heard bounding through time, that music is so much cheerful, not as much as we believe in you mario, but wow.

it was really something plot wise, but also humor wise, I had to take a break to laugh a bit after I read the fracktail errors, omg these were too hilarious :)

And Francis killed me, btw, if you didn't get what he was talking about with stuff like X-naut and the room with the computers, that;s because it's heavy reference to TTYD.

And swwon.exe was just, they really outdone themselves IS. Like, they really took the internet troll persona and put it in him so perfectly that it actually feels satiric :)

Btw, if you son;t know what believe in you mario is, well this is kind of a spoiler because you hear this music almost at the end, but I just need to link it with how majestic it is:

it is the best music I EVER hears because it is the perfect representation of a long progression going with up and down. Seriously, it is the best motivation music....and it has 8bit part at one point which leads me to ask.....

What was your reaction on that fight in spm?

Me first, loved the 8bit style and I instantly tought of earthbound, that was so funny :)
All the SPM music was AMAZING.
I loved how in the Underchomp battle wen switching characters, Tippi says 'Go, ___!'. Reminded me INSTANTLY of Pokemon.

KR_G

Smash Rookie
Don't worry if he doesn't come as DLC! I can make a PSA (move set) hack of Paper Mario with 16 recolors over Mr.Game&Watch! (Both versions) :4gaw:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Don't worry if he doesn't come as DLC! I can make a PSA (move set) hack of Paper Mario with 16 recolors over Mr.Game&Watch! (Both versions) :4gaw:
altough I honestly do like how mods progressed with the years, I honestly don;t really suggest to do it.

I saw a lot of these over G&W and they all felt so odd that they more felt like a weird g&w than paper mario. g&w just isn;t enough, paper mario is so defined that it would just feel too odd.

And besides, I am not worried if doesn't get in DLC because at least that stage exist. You have no idea how thankful I am to Sakurai that this stage even exists :)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Someone give this man a cookie. He is right.:4luigi: In my opinion.:luigimelee:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hi, so anoher poll from @PushDustIn , but this time is a little bit different:

http://goo.gl/forms/8BX9yzLtwE

You only answer who you voted in the ballot (and of course I link it here as a lot of you should have voted for paper mario), but this is tricky as you are only allowed to answer ONCE (and I mean it, I voted and after, it just refused me to answer so, please lase please, think carefully).

I HIGHLY suggest you answer this one because I am very curious on its results. It is a type response and only one of it which to me mimics the ballot, except without multiple votes and such.

Just to make this clear though, since you have only one choice, pick the one you REALLY want the most.

Top Bottom