• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I love the Paper Mario series, except Sticker Star. I don't really support having Paper Mario in the game, don't care if he's in or not, but for the sake of you guys I hope he pulls through. We Starfox fans feel the same way about Krystal after he revealed the Starfox stage so good luck to both sides of the spectrum.
I supported Krystal since Brawl :laugh:
But I would love to see both Paper Mario and Krystal.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
As I said, two tracks only for a Paper Mario stage is a crime against humanity. >.< lol

I may be the odd one out, but for a TTYD track I would actually really like Rogueport's theme.

It is the most memorable track from the game for me, and seeing as the TTYD part of the track is over the ocean, it works.

I remember this song for all the wrong reasons..it's cool and all...

That moment when your stuck in Rougeport with no online guide. That song...:dizzy:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
Man a traveling stage! This is great news!
Already a very strong representation of Paper Mario in the smash series!
Looking good for us!

Since it is a travelling stage, maybe it will have medley songs of Paper Mario, like battle medley or a general Medley?

Maybe the stage could go to Glitzville!

Or if it won't, the stage in the Wii U could be Glitzville!

God how I want Glitzville....

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
so from sakurais comment it says the first stage from paper mario which means 1 theres another stage or 2 its a different series which both bode veryv well for paper mario

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
so from sakurais comment it says the first stage from paper mario which means 1 theres another stage or 2 its a different series which both bode veryv well for paper mario
He doesn't say it's the first stage in this game, he mentions that it is the first Paper Mario stage in Smash Bros. history. That's why nothing is confirmed yet. It could be the first PM stage in smash but also be the only one in sm4sh.
Also, nothing confirms that the Paper Mario serie is differentiated from the Mario serie, as we did not see the serie iccon on this stage.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
If there is a support list or something for Paper Mario, I would love to be on it.

@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 Thank you. Because of you, I played the mess out of TTYD last night.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
I always wanted Paper Mario (my #2 most wanted), and initially thought he had a great chance but in the last 6 months started thinking he was going to be passed over. Now with a stage, things are looking up! He would be so rad, @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 please put me on the supporters list!

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
The 3DS PM stage I feel could help, but also hinder PM's chances (Read it all before saying I don't support PM). At first when the Sticker Star part was shown, his possibilities skyrocketed because if they were to incorporate RPG stages they would've chosen M&L instead since it's more recent and well known for being in handheld. Sakurai went with Sticker Star, a game many despise, so it made sense that there was a reason for including this instead of any of the other games in the beloved series. The reason he included SS could've well been because PM himself was in and was going to be given a stage for both 3DS & Wii U, but later on it was revealed to be a shifting stage much like the SMBU stage, going through known places of the PM games.

The fact that a shifting stage was included to represent PM could decrease his chances knowing that it's a spin off title and it's not the first time we've seen one of these for the Mario series, so it could be added as another stage for Mario instead of the home stage for PM. If you think about it this brings the chances for a Wii U stage significantly down, we've never had a stage that represents all iterations of a series before.

How does this help his chances? Well we have to take a look at a pattern Sakurai has followed so far. Stages before reveals, we've had the Galaxy stage b4 :rosalina:,Boxing Ring b4 :4littlemac:,Arena Ferox b4 :4robinm::4lucina:,Prism Tower b4:4greninja:, Find Mii/Tomodachi b4 :4mii:, and KI Temple b4 :4palutena:. These are all the newcomers revealed after the first trailer shown at E3 2013 so if anything seeing a stage of a series w/o the character actually boosts his chances by a large margin. But before we assume this we need to see what other unrepresented stages we have so far.

We have 4 unrep'd stages, Nintendogs, Balloon Fight, Pilotwings, and a possible Steel Diver stage not yet confirmed (seen on 3DS trailer). It's safe to say we won't get a Plane, Submarine or a German Shepherd as a character and Villager's :GCU::GCB: pretty much kills a BF rep. Suddenly PM's chances aren't looking so grim aren't they?

Another thing helping PM's chances is that he was not named by Sakurai, yes I know he says Paper Mario clearly, but he uses it in the context of the name of the series, otherwise he won't say "Here's a certain RPG that came after another RPG of an italian plumber."

In conclusion I'd like to bring up Sakurai's quota on choosing playable characters.
1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

2. The character must be unique.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

4. They must contribute to the game balance.

-Taken from the GDC '08 thread
Paper Mario fits all these requirements splendidly; he is a beloved character requested by many, his moveset could be one of the most unique we've seen, his cartoony paper animation fits right in and if we see G&W balanced it's safe to say PM won't be any problem for the devs.

So we have all this proof stacked up supporting our paper plumber with the only thing against him being the stage could be his only representation in Sm4sh. 4 Pros 1 Con, I think he's a shoe in then again that's just me I may be wrong. What do you think?

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
Regarding the possibility that there is no Paper Mario stage on the Wii U because of how this stage shows something from all Paper Mario games and that might hinder Paper Mario. You gotta remember one thing: The Wii Fit Trainer. Obviouslly there is no Wii Fit games on a Handheld game. (Because how would that even work :V). Yet Wii Fit Trainer will be playable on the 3DS version just as much of the other characters. Even if the Paper Mario stage covering more then just Sticker Star means there's no Wii U Paper Mario stage. That doesn't necessarily mean Paper Mario cannot be playable.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Regarding the possibility that there is no Paper Mario stage on the Wii U because of how this stage shows something from all Paper Mario games and that might hinder Paper Mario. You gotta remember one thing: The Wii Fit Trainer. Obviouslly there is no Wii Fit games on a Handheld game. (Because how would that even work :V). Yet Wii Fit Trainer will be playable on the 3DS version just as much of the other characters. Even if the Paper Mario stage covering more then just Sticker Star means there's no Wii U Paper Mario stage. That doesn't necessarily mean Paper Mario cannot be playable.
Um, that's hardly the same comparison. There may be no 3DS Wii Fit map, but that's because there is no 3DS Wii Fit game. There ARE console Paper Mario games, but they're putting the maps on 3DS (despite saying that the maps would tend to focus on games for the corresponding platform).

You're right in that no Wii U stage isn't a disconfirm, but cramming all the stages onto the Wii U, despite plenty of reasons not to, certainly doesn't help.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I am incredibly happy right now.

Pac Man screwing Lloyd put me in an incredibly dark state but if PM is in I'm going to die of happiness.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I just caught up with the thread now.

Reading those posts is really something that makes me really happy now. I'm listening to TTYD credits theme now and for this moment, I love it so much:

So zen and relaxing...

Just to update things. The tittle is really at the characters limit so I can't add the complete name of S.S. instead of S S. That's why i had to use the + instead of words. Sorry for that but at least I got the ss flavio name in the title somehow.

As for my reaction, this is what this post will talk about, but I will give my thoughts on other things throughout the day. In that regard, I will announce that I will analyse the stage as a whole for how it repped the series (mostly details and such). I learned a while ago that stages are super detailed. Termina bay in melee blew my mind when I learned about the giant cutscene tribute. I will check deeper here, but it won't be that long because we only have 2 pictures with 2 captions.

And finally, as it would probably be the topic today, I will do a full essay on his chances. With sanctuary guardians because it's no longer jokes with straws, it's evidences. This, will be somehow long enough, but the OP will show a shorter version.

As for music, I will add them after this post as well as @ Mr. KoopaTurtle Mr. KoopaTurtle to the list. Btw, me too I will lay TTYD tonight on console. It's been so long since I haven't touched the true disc, but I still have my files. Also, thanks for your music ideas. I prefer the TTYD one, but PM64 is really good. My favourite is the final boss theme.

So, now let's talk about my reaction because my posts didn't tell the real thing.

The same day and even some hours before the pic got released, I made my vote for him in the clone engine thread on Project M. I found that a funny coincidence to get his chances boosted shortly after. Following the POTD thread... I was so lucky. I missed the last 2 pic because I was busy with other things. Not missing this one was so lucky.

I really had no idea what was about to happen. It really was as usual me not knowing what will be showed. The irony is that because I finally got back active on the thread, I made a joke that Sakurai would show a filler. So ironic I was completely wrong like this.

But when it got released... that was quite weird. JUST BEFORE the pic got updated, someone said that he wanted a 3ds pic and at the same time, I saw the 3ds frame on the site, but the pic didn't loaded so I tough it wasn't really up and I was about to told the person when I saw the pic. I didn't paid any attention to what it was because I was trying to get the fastest upload :) (btw, swiftfox can't be beaten). Only to realise that when it was released, I had absolutely no idea what it was as I didn't play sticker star. I saw one person said "paper mario stage" and I tough it was a joke.

But 3 people? I immediately started to panic while getting on google image. and I just exploded of hype when I got that it was real. That was me not even believing it to the point of almost denying it. But the pic was there... I kept repeating myself "OMG" with really intensive breathing. I didn't had an heart attack, but that was so intense. This, was my first post reaction:

WTH JUST HAPPENED???????

Did it just freaking happened?

I googled and it is from sricker star but did that just happened?????????????????
That typo btw, I make always funny one :)

And after, it just got way out of control. So much that I couldn't even react any more. I was like emotionally frozen. And those alerts... I even think the message "you got x alerts" was broken at one point. Every time I loaded a page, it was always there. It didn't stopped for at least 30 minutes. One of them was 25 which means that by the time I updated the OP, I already got 25 alerts. No one can get THAT much attention in 30 minutes, but it got even better.

I still wasn't able to process that and the second pic came... It was just to much. And with the caption oh the caption was probably the best thing ever. Not only TTYD got repped and the stage having environment hazards, but also mentioning TTYD. Not a lot of people can understand that, but Sakurai mentioning TTYD was probably the best hype thing I got. I wanted acknowledgement, oh heck I got even more... BIG recognition. And that's when I couldn't believe it, but It took some hours to finally being able to talk.

And after just got even more hype to read the posts here, I finally got to sleep and when I woke up...

I will forever remember that day when I got this. It means a lot on my opinion on the game now.

I can confirm now that I have so far absolutely no worries on the game now. I asked a music, I got a stage with 2 music. General repping was my biggest and last worry, but it's awesome now. That's why you should expect other mind blown like this for other series; trust me, I'm CONVINCED that it got WAY more broader than brawl could even be. It put however most of speculation even more in the dark as I have no idea where it would stop.

And that's it. I know some people wanted to hear how I reacted, but there you have it now. Maybe my post on Project M forum wasn't that useful after all...

Speaking of chances, I will do my essay shortly. Waking up calmed me down enough to think seriously. I'm probably going to hype myself by playing TTYD and this may end up being a full playtrough, but we'll see.

So, for everyone new here, you're welcome here supporter or not. I of course expect this thread to get crazy in the following days and maybe weeks and it's so big that I will have to get used to it, but it will happen eventually.

I became the OP here since the end of last April by reviving it on April 20 after a month of inactivity. What I didn't tell however is that I did revived it and became fully determined because I did ONE thing just before reviving it...

I was playing TTYD to record footage of it for a movie.

That should tell you how powerful this game is one me. I really thank you for the hype you give by just posting and let me post it for REAL but...

WE BELIEVE IN YOU PAPER MARIO!

:awesome:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I'm going to explain this later, but I don't think in the slightest that it obsoletes any WiiU stages. Especially the theatre it's not obsolete now.

And of course, I don't think it hinders his chances. I won't spoil it but there's one thing in Sakurai's wording that so far, NO ONE paid attention to. Check the captions carefully, you'll know why after.

It helps more, that I'm sure.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
And of course, I don't think it hinders his chances. I won't spoil it but there's one thing in Sakurai's wording that so far, NO ONE paid attention to. Check the captions carefully, you'll know why after.

It helps more, that I'm sure.
You know, this sort of comment is really annoying. If you spotted something that we didn't just point it out already, instead of trying to make us analyze something for hours.

Especially since half the time, it turns into something either completely obvious that everyone saw and discounted, or something so esoteric that it makes a horrible argument either way.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You know, this sort of comment is really annoying. If you spotted something that we didn't just point it out already, instead of trying to make us analyze something for hours.

Especially since half the time, it turns into something either completely obvious that everyone saw and discounted, or something so esoteric that it makes a horrible argument either way.
That's because I know I will talk about it, but it's still a wip now.

It will get talked anyway, but I just want to be sure before posting the full thing. I'm saying this since I already I know I will point what I said.

Tough, I don't really see why a generic stage would be hindering. For me, it's either not related or related to him, but I have more reasons to believe the later.

But if it's the former, it's was related to mario but now, I see it more related to Paper Mario in general than Mario.

That's just me tough, but I'll say everything I need to after.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Not sure if you directed this at me or not, but I never said it discards the chances of a Wii U stage, I only said it lowered the chances of one since PM is so well represented in this stage. I have no idea how WFT has anything to do with this tbh. Paper Mario finally has some evidence to back him up instead of just being unique and having fan demand.

Edit: Did anyone else find Sakurai saying "so strong wind will blow it away." redundant? If it's strong why is it blown away by the wind?

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Not sure if you directed this at me or not, but I never said it discards the chances of a Wii U stage, I only said it lowered the chances of one since PM is so well represented in this stage. I have no idea how WFT has anything to do with this tbh. Paper Mario finally has some evidence to back him up instead of just being unique and having fan demand.

Edit: Did anyone else find Sakurai saying "so strong wind will blow it away." redundant? If it's strong why is it blown away by the wind?
Took me a while to understand, but you misinterpreted.

The stage isn't strong, it's the winds force.

Which I guess it's easy to move a paper with winds. He said that it was paper anyway.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I'm sad it's not the "stage" from Thousand Year Door. But I'm happy to see Paper Mario finally get some representation. (I wish this was on the Wii U since there's tons of music options)
I hope that's a Wii U stage as well.

And yeah, the TTYD Battle Theme should definately be the "main" theme of the stage.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Took me a while to understand, but you misinterpreted.

The stage isn't strong, it's the winds force.

Which I guess it's easy to move a paper with winds. He said that it was paper anyway.
oh yeah I see it now. I read it from someone here and the commas were misplaced :laugh:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
And yeah, the TTYD Battle Theme should definately be the "main" theme of the stage.
That would be a perfect fit for Smash, I think. Really good, catchy song. It's hard to even recognize it as a remix of the main Mario theme.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
That would be a perfect fit for Smash, I think. Really good, catchy song. It's hard to even recognize it as a remix of the main Mario theme.
A lot of TTYD song are like this. To name a few, the sewers, petal meadows (it's slightly obvious, but after listening it for a while, it give the impression that it's not a remix). And a lot of song in this game are remixes of other song of the same game, but what blew my mind was we believe in you mario.

Can you agree that this song is based on the intro music? Just listen to them the melody is the same. There's other songs in the ending that are also based on this melody. One of them has almost no background noise so it makes listening the notes easier.

Listen to this, but put the speed at 2x:

You will get that it's also the same melody. By putting the speed at 2x, it gives you a clear idea of the pattern if played in succession. It turns out that the pattern is REALLY similar to this at normal speed:

Count the notes if you want, but the pattern match!

So, we believe in you mario being the best encouragement music I've heard and it was based on 10 seconds of NES beeps.

That was serious inspiration.

Also, for my essay, I'm going to start maybe in the following minutes or at the very least, one hour. The thing I can tell for now is that even tough I think it helps, I think we should be cautious. Especially for me because I have no reason to be disappointed now even if he's not in.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
A lot of TTYD song are like this. To name a few, the sewers, petal meadows (it's slightly obvious, but after listening it for a while, it give the impression that it's not a remix). And a lot of song in this game are remixes of other song of the same game, but what blew my mind was we believe in you mario.

Can you agree that this song is based on the intro music? Just listen to them the melody is the same. There's other songs in the ending that are also based on this melody. One of them has almost no background noise so it makes listening the notes easier.

Listen to this, but put the speed at 2x:

You will get that it's also the same melody. By putting the speed at 2x, it gives you a clear idea of the pattern if played in succession. It turns out that the pattern is REALLY similar to this at normal speed:

Count the notes if you want, but the pattern match!

So, we believe in you mario being the best encouragement music I've heard and it was based on 10 seconds of NES beeps.

That was serious inspiration.

Also, for my essay, I'm going to start maybe in the following minutes or at the very least, one hour. The thing I can tell for now is that even tough I think it helps, I think we should be cautious. Especially for me because I have no reason to be disappointed now even if he's not in.
...Eh, I don't think the main Thousand Year Door theme is a remix of that Famicon melody. I don't think they're that similar.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
...Eh, I don't think the main Thousand Year Door theme is a remix of that Famicon melody. I don't think they're that similar.
no, the song isn't a remix but was BASED on it.

They would basically took the melody and base the music around this pattern but of course, alter it a lot.

In fact, they are far from similar but I'm talking about the main melody which is the farewell rogueport without the echo thing. That, would be the thing I compare to it, not the whole song.

Tough, this one is weird:

You know this theme?

It's not the fight theme but the encounter. It really reminds me of this:

You have to admit that it's somehow similar because really, I wonder if it's a coincidence.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
If the Paper Mario series was given an Assist Trophy, I'd like to see Count Bleck as the given choice.

What I imagine that he could do is open his mantle like he did near the beginning of Super Paper Mario (with Bowser's minions), sucking in any items (or players) like a black hole (think Deoxys). When he's finished, he will pause for a moment, until he releases everything out in projectile form, causing medium-to-high knockback against the opponents.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Please, please have Shy Guy's Toybox and the Overthere as stage trasnsitions.

Also, Paper Mario for Smash!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Please, please have Shy Guy's Toybox and the Overthere as stage trasnsitions.

Also, Paper Mario for Smash!
Oh I wanted to tell you something for a while that I found very funny.

You currently own the second post and that was when xenoblaze owned the thread. You said that he would deserve an award for making it, but since I'm the OP now, and that I read my OP quite a lot for updating it, I always read this message even tough you were not talking to me.

It gives me motivations every time, but it;s so funny that the message has nothing to do with me :)

And you're added btw but thanks for this motivation even if it wasn't on purpose :)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I am incredibly happy right now.

Pac Man screwing Lloyd put me in an incredibly dark state but if PM is in I'm going to die of happiness.
To be fair, Lloyd was probably never considered over Pac Man.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
You can add me to the supporter list, aldelaro5. Would be pretty sweet to see Paper Mario fighting against characters like Samus and Fox.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
To be fair, Lloyd was probably never considered over Pac Man.
You never know man. That's what the bias in me is sayin.

So anyway, top stage transitions in my opinion. Going by order of Chapters starting with the first PM.

-Toad Town. This should be more of its own stage than anything else. It's already bigger than Rogue Port and can have as many panels as a single dungeon itself. You'd start at Mario's House, then to the plaza where pedestrian Toads are walking about, then near Merlon's house with the badge shop in the foreground, Star Door in front, and then to the train, and finally to the harbor. Skipping Tacye T. since nothing too interesting is there. A little nice touch would be different events happening at certain times like the Shy Guy rampage or different Toads appearing.

-Star Summit. Could be its own stage really. At times different Star Spirits would descend and ascend. Each Star Spirit affects the stage differently. Mamar may put you to sleep, Skolar will summon star storms, and Muskular can either shrink or grow you, for example. Occasionally, all of them will descend and perform the Star beam. Anyone caught will suffer major knockback. And rarely, Twink may appear to assist in the Star Beam becoming an instant KO.

Dry Dry Desert + Ruins. This can be a scrolling stage. You start at the camp with Kolorado and proceed to get lost. Eventually you stumble into the oasis and eventually you stumble into the Ruins itself. If you make it far enough into the Ruins, as in, you don't run out of time or lose all stocks, you'll reach the Chain Chomp cage. The long feel really sets the mood for this area.

Boo's Mansion + Gusty Gulch. Transitioning stage. In this area Bow will teleport you to different sections of the chapter. Starting at the traps and puzzles hidden around the mansion to outside in the Gusty Gulch eventually leading to Tubba Blubba's front door.

Lava Lava Island Volcano. In this stage you would be riding a giant solid piece of hardened magma through the entire volcano. In the foreground and background you will witness all the events from the chapter. Falling Spiny rocks, zip line riding, the chest to the ultra hammer, Kolorado shenanigans, and of course the military robot Pirahna Plants, the boss itself, and the rescue of the star spirit.

Shiver Mountain + Crystal Palace. You start in the area's you first meet the Duplighost. A nice touch is that Duplighost will disguise themselves as players(and occasionally disguise themselves of characters not even in play). If these ghost are hit, the corresponding player who is being copied will take the hit in full force adding a nice strategy to this level. Eventually you'll reach the palace and to new music will play. You'll run into many mirror illusions and such and when you reach the area where you fight Crystal King the transitions end.

Bowser's Castle. I'll just keep it simple and use the final area where you fight Bowser on the giant brick Klown platform. To differentiate it from FD, the spikes spinning on the platform means you cannot grab the ledge and you will take damage and hitstun. There's also a green switch in the middle that, if jumped on, not attacked, will summon purple lightning and either damage or power up characters. The switch will stay pressed for 1 minute.

Paper Mario 1 Credits scene. Yes people. Arguably the best credits scene in existence, you run through an entire parade of every single major event that happened during the time of Paper Mario. You witness every side character, every boss, and every event that occured in one whole scrolling stage. In the end you are greeted with a "The End" in the background that stays there forever until you win the match!

Paper Mario TTYD coming soon.

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
You were talking about it although it was already confirmed at first

Incidentally @ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 can get added to the support list (could of sworn I declared my support a while back)
Nah you're right I was, should've wrote possible at first since I wasn't completely familiar with it, but because of you I cleared it up so thanks.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
If Link can have Toon Link, Mario can have Paper Mario! Add me to the supporter list please.

Last edited:
Top Bottom