• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things You Wish More People Knew About Your Favorite Smash Characters

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I'll give a few more examples for me:

:ultness: - He does not once say "PK [blank]!" in his games, nor does Lucas. He doesn't even know PK Fire, PK Thunder, or PK Starstorm in his original game.

:ultbowser: - This is an actual sentient being, capable of thought, motives, and having feelings. He isn't just "RAWWWWWWWWWWWWR", at least he hasnt been for a decade or two.

:ultyounglink: - Young Link is not a Link clone in his own games! Yes, he may use a sword, he may use a shield. But he also uses masks to transform and has a variety of different powers and abilities just from that.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You started out with Lucas, so here's a few on him.

-Lucas' crouching pose is the same pose he does in MOTHER3 when you hold down the B button before running.
-All of Lucas' physical attacks are kicks. He doesn't throw a single punch. This is a nod to Duster, a party member in MOTHER3 who attacks by kicking.
-His tripping taunt is a nod to discarded banana peels found in MOTHER3. If you run over them, your character will trip.

There's a lot of neat nods to his source material in his moveset that I think a number of people don't realize.
After playing Mother 3 I went back and looked at Lucas and New Pork City and the amount of love and care put into his moveset and stage is staggering. The coffee table and rope snake are just the tip of the iceberg and Boney and Kumatora being in his Final Smash now had me beaming. I love that he uses the stick instead of the bat, just like in the game.

TheBeastHimself

After playing Mother 3 I went back and looked at Lucas and New Pork City and the amount of love and care put into his moveset and stage is staggering. The coffee table and rope snake are just the tip of the iceberg and Boney and Kumatora being in his Final Smash now had me beaming. I love that he uses the stick instead of the bat, just like in the game.
It's a shame that only so many people will ever get to realize this.

D

Deleted member

I guess another one for Shulk, he doesn't just use the regular Monado itself. He uses a regular, if scrappy, "junk sword" in the prolouge of the game. He also has 6 replica Monados all with their own specializations! However, he never actually uses them alongside his real Monado, he only uses it when he loses his Monado. The real Monado actually also has 2 forms in and of itself! Not only that, but he does get a little surprise by the end of the game that I won't spoil.

That makes him have a total of 10 weapons he can use, and only one of them isn't some kind of Monado :p

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's a shame that only so many people will ever get to realize this.
My jaw dropped when I realized that New Pork City was almost 1:1 to the game. Like, it's like someone completely remade it as faithfully as possible, including the music, but in 3D. Can't wait to see it in Ultimate.

Like...I can't even put into words how spot-on it all is. It's EXACT and it blows my mind.

"Lucas Comes Out of Nowhere!" was such a brilliant line for his DLC reveal because not only was he a surprise, but the whole game takes place in the Nowhere Islands. It was such a great tagline.

FrostingOrb of Harmony

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frosting
Switch FC
SW-4926-0166-0022
That Lucina wasn't just female Marth.

Bonus: that some characters have canon love interests like Marth.
Another bonus: That Lucina is Chrom's (and potentially Female Robin's) daughter from a future where laid waste to everything. (mostly because of the rating waifus video ZeRo and Mew2King did where they thought Lucina wasn't royalty)

TheBeastHimself

My jaw dropped when I realized that New Pork City was almost 1:1 to the game. Like, it's like someone completely remade it as faithfully as possible, including the music, but in 3D. Can't wait to see it in Ultimate.

Like...I can't even put into words how spot-on it all is. It's EXACT and it blows my mind.

"Lucas Comes Out of Nowhere!" was such a brilliant line for his DLC reveal because not only was he a surprise, but the whole game takes place in the Nowhere Islands. It was such a great tagline.
I know right!!
Everyone thought "Lucas Comes Out of Nowhere" meant that he was a surprise, but he literally is from Nowhere! I love the Smash Bros team's attention to detail.

FrostingOrb of Harmony

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frosting
Switch FC
SW-4926-0166-0022
You started out with Lucas, so here's a few on him.

-Lucas' crouching pose is the same pose he does in MOTHER3 when you hold down the B button before running.
-All of Lucas' physical attacks are kicks. He doesn't throw a single punch. This is a nod to Duster, a party member in MOTHER3 who attacks by kicking.
-His tripping taunt is a nod to discarded banana peels found in MOTHER3. If you run over them, your character will trip.

There's a lot of neat nods to his source material in his moveset that I think a number of people don't realize.
Let me add one: That the snake isn't even his

FrostingOrb of Harmony

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frosting
Switch FC
SW-4926-0166-0022
:ultpit:
Let's see... To start off, he's actually older than he looks, at least 28, for those who played Uprising should know... about the 25 year absence of Medusa and the 3-year time skip moment. Part of the reason why I mention this one is because well... I may say it a lot regarding my ship of Pit/Samus, but the problem people have been questioning me about is Pit's age... I don't wanna go into more detail than that regarding what some judgmental jerks think when I mention said ship and accuse me of being a certain something. So that's mainly why I bring up how he's at least 28 (not physically though). Besides, I hear that age is complicated when it comes to angels and gods, unlike humans.

Next thing I want to mention is Pit's not really um... dumb to say the least, though he is naive and a bit uneducated (I probably blame Palutena for that). Despite this, he is still a capable fighter as many of us know. There's also Chapter 23 where Pit's alone, and still fights through the dangers ahead. Identical to this, he's actually smarter in the JP version, but as many would expect, English butchering of dialogue, if I said that right, which makes Pit seem more like a joke than he should be.

He's actually been picked on a lot by most of the Uprising cast, mostly noted, by Hades, Palutena, and Viridi (mostly because of gods vs a simple angel). Despite the torment, he does try his best to get through things. It's also to note that even though he's often upbeat, he actually becomes very serious in Chapter 20, especially when it means trying to rescue Palutena; not a single joke. Pit's not all sunshine and rainbows, people. Dark Pit's existence, who is actually a part of Pit, is evidence (see KIU's Mirror of Truth).

:ultpalutena:
She does pick on Pit a lot (including the sensitive "wing" part towards poor Pit and the "chapter 3 pheromone part"), and can be considered full of herself sometimes. It's likely partial due to being a Goddess (I assume many gods have some kind of ego) while Pit, who's an angel, is of lower class. This is probably common knowledge, but eh... it's probably because many seem to favor Palutena for her looks and ignore her personality and how she treats Pit sometimes. Despite all her teasing and such, she does care for him.

I should've done better with this. Then again, with how "open" and not serious KIU is, it leaves many questions unanswered.
Let me add one for :ultdarkpit:

The fact that he is a clone of Pit created by a magic mirror, which is why he's not much more than Pit's exact equal and opposite who can fly without help from a goddess (whether it be Viridi or Palutena since both have given Pit the Power of Flight); he's only edgy because Pit isn't edgy and the opposite of not edgy is edgy.

FrostingOrb of Harmony

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frosting
Switch FC
SW-4926-0166-0022
:ultrobin: He's the player's avatar so he can be whatever gender they want; also, Id (Purpose) is actually his theme.

:ultdarksamus: Boy or girl? Neither. It's literally Metroid Prime after reforming into a form based on Samus.

:ultchrom: He's a likable person, he's a better warrior than he is a king though he is a good king.

:ultpichu: It's a baby Pikachu, of course he doesn't know how to use electricity properly; also, that gimmick's a reference to the Pichu Brothers short

:ultcloud: He's been through a lot of troubles, including his village getting burned in front of him and having to cross-dress to get into a pimp's mansion and save his childhood friend (with the help of his soon-to-be girlfriend who's fate you probably already know, which has to do with why I always pick the alt that has the red ribbon). Also, I know y'all have joked about people using his Limit Break Cross Slash, but fun fact: Cross Slash originally is a Limit Break.

:ultsimon: He's actually not the original Belmont, that'd be Leon Belmont, followed by Trevor Belmont (who you may know from the Netflix series) and then Christopher Belmont (forget about him, so did everyone else)

:ultrichter: He's not Simon's brother or son, it's more accurate to call him a descendant (like how the majority of Fire Emblem protagonist are descendants of Marth)

:ultkrool: "Why does he want to kill DK?" They said. The answer is simple, it's because those "Flea-bitten apes" have defeated him 3 times already before the game that Final Smash comes from (it's on the Wii U's virtual console and it's sure to eat up a lot of your free time if you ever plan to beat it); the first time was because he stole the banana hoard, the second was because he kidnapped DK for revenge, the third time was because he kidnapped DK and Diddy, and after that, he went all out and stole the banana hoard again while also kidnapping every Kong except for Donkey (and Cranky, Funky, and Candy) and even preparing a big laser to do you-know-what.

:ultkingdedede: HEH-HEH-HEH! I AM A SUPAH STAR WARRIAH!

:ultbowserjr: People should stop confusing him with Baby Bowser, that's Bowser as a baby and this guy's his son

:002: Not to be confused with :001: or :003:

And also, :ultfox: < :foxmelee:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
:ultpichu: It's a baby Pikachu, of course he doesn't know how to use electricity properly; also, that gimmick's a reference to the Pichu Brothers short
And it has several moves that don't hurt itself.
And if they had time to make a more unique Gen 2 fighter in Melee, Marill, Togepi, or still Pichu were gonna be more likely than Heracross, Scizor, or Tyranitar.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I wish more people knew Dedede and Meta Knight both had amazing actors in the anime, so we could all start a movement to have them voice their respective fighters in Smash.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
:ultcloud: Cloud Strife wasn't originally the emo ball of angst he's often shown to be in spinoff games. In Final Fantasy VII he was often shown to be goofy and a show off.
Cloud isn't a SOLDIER. He just thinks he was one due to some severe mental trauma. He did however undergo the treatment that makes people into SOLDIERs.
Cloud and Tifa were not childhood friends. He admired her from a distance and she barely knew he existed.

:ultbowser: Bowser use to have a brother. It's possible he was retconned out of the series.
https://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser's_Brother

:ultsimon: Simon Belmont was shown getting married in the Arcade game Haunted Castle. His wife never appeared in any other game.

:ultganondorf: The first time we were ever shown Ganondorf was in the comic adaption of Link to the Past done by manga creator Shotaro Ishinomori (creator of Cyborg 009 and Super Sentai in general.)
He looked like this. https://imgur.com/QufrQO8

:ultmario: Marios' first ever speaking role came from a short comic in Blip Magazine published by Marvel Comics shortly after Donkey Kong first appeared in the Arcades.

In Mario's Time Machine, Mario says he's from Brooklyn. It's one of the only times Mario being from the real world is mentioned in a game.

Now here's some Captain N for ya'...
We all know :ultsimon: :ultpit: :ultmegaman: worked together there, but the Princess from the series Princess Lana was based on :ultpalutena: and on several occassions they worked with :ultzelda: and :ultlink:.
In the comic adaption of Captain N, Simon and Megaman were replaced by :ultsamus:. So Pit and Samus have worked together.
There was a love triangle between Captain N, Samus, and Princess Lana, which not only makes for one of the only times Samus has actually had a love interest, but essentially makes for a nice rivalry between :ultsamus: and :ultpalutena:.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
another one: I wish more people knew :ultwario: was never intended to be this hyper-masculine dragon-slayer who hypnotises people for fun, and that was just a really bad western marketing campaign inaccurately portraying the character.

bonus: prior to Ultimate, I always wanted people to know :ultgnw: has eyes, but seems that wish has come true!

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
:ultcloud: Cloud Strife wasn't originally the emo ball of angst he's often shown to be in spinoff games. In Final Fantasy VII he was often shown to be goofy and a show off.
Cloud isn't a SOLDIER. He just thinks he was one due to some severe mental trauma. He did however undergo the treatment that makes people into SOLDIERs.
Cloud and Tifa were not childhood friends. He admired her from a distance and she barely knew he existed.
Thank you! It's always sad to see people only know Cloud for what the compilation twisted him into.

Remember when his rallying speech for saving the world was "All right, everyone, let's mosey."?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like everyone keeps switching up Squall with Cloud, lol.
Squall's the guy that keeps his snarky comments in his head and remains "2kool4skool."

Anyway, for me, I'd like to mention that Ike was never canonically slow OR heavy. He was fast, ridiculously impossibly fast for someone that lugged that giant sword around (He's basically Guts). In fact, moves like Forward Smash seem completely out of character and seem like something Black Knight would do instead.

Also the fact that Ike has BLADE BEAMS.
Like it's the RAGNELL'S GIMMICK. ADD EM, SAKURAI.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I wish people knew that Alph was a playable character. Lol.
Let me add one for :ultdarkpit:

The fact that he is a clone of Pit created by a magic mirror, which is why he's not much more than Pit's exact equal and opposite who can fly without help from a goddess (whether it be Viridi or Palutena since both have given Pit the Power of Flight); he's only edgy because Pit isn't edgy and the opposite of not edgy is edgy.
Hmm, then why isn't Dark Pit an octopus? Pit isn't an octopus!

Oddball

Smash Lord
I wish people knew that Alph was a playable character. Lol.

Hmm, then why isn't Dark Pit an octopus? Pit isn't an octopus!
Better question for you.

Why is he in Smash Bros? Isn't the opposite of being in Smash Bros not being in Smash bros?

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Bowser; this is more about personal interpretation than facts I want people to know, but I have seen videos about how people think Bowser has an identity crisis and should go back to being the scary villain.

I say...let him have an identity crisis. What I love the most about Bowser is that he is like Mario in that he has enough of a personality for you to understand who he is, but you can play with him enough to create unique and great scenarios. I love that Bowser can both be a goofy, lovable lug AND a scary, intimidating villain. when he needs to. No other character has that freedom of flexibility. Ganon can't do that, and even if K. Rool is presented as being maniacal, crazy and over the top camp thanks to the cartoon, he still doesn't have that flexibility that makes Bowser so enduring to me.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
:ultfox: Has been through a lot. He left his home planet at an early age and has never returned for unspecified reasons, his mother has never been discussed, and we all know his father died young, as well. On top of this, Fox had to quit his education to be trained under Peppy, and accept the massive responsibility of being the leader of a once prestigious mercenary team. He took this responsibility on without question.

In addition to that, Fox's character is explored more in adventures, where his ability to house the Krazoa Spirits is exclusive to those of pure heart (Fox might not be your typical hero, but he is strongly motivated to do what is right). He stops his quest dead in its tracks (which was an assignment by Pepper, who will pay them once the mission is complete) to help Krystal before meeting her. He only hears of her situation from the Krazoa god and decides to save her.

In Assault, Fox has matured into a stoic leader - and is forced to make some of the toughest decisions he ever had to. He had to shoot down a corrupt General Pepper to stop him from destroying Corneria. He had to accept Peppy's death and make quick decisions, he had to accept that their only chance at victory was to let Wolf make the sacrifices he did.

Fox is highly intelligent, brave, and decisive. He's not just SS tier in Melee.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
:ultbowserjr: People should stop confusing him with Baby Bowser, that's Bowser as a baby and this guy's his son
To be fair, Nintendo aren't helping matters by using Bowser Junior's character design and voice for Baby Bowser despite the fact that Baby Bowser had a different voice and design from Junior in the past.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Whilst Incineroar is far from my favorite fighter, it's really annoying to see people call him "furry bait." I'm not a furry, but I really enjoy Incineroar's inclusion. It's relieving not only to see an interesting, pro-wrestling inspired fighter, but also because it was Sakurai's personal pick. He chose Incineroar because it would be creative and fun to have in Smash. And I'm glad that Sakurai had fun developing it.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
:ultbayonetta:- She's not some nobody character, she actually has a decently popular soon-to-be trilogy of games and they're a load of fun. People who hate the character simply for being OP in Sm4sh is painful since it's hardly indicative of what Bayo is.
:ultgreninja:- Greninja's not just some flavor of the month character, dude's still crazy popular and his Smash moveset is pretty cool and unique. Despite not playing him myself it sucks to see people just write him off because he's not some life-long representation of Pokemon because he's newer
:ultlittlemac:- While not as insanely powerful like say Kirby or Ganon canonically he's still a tough kid with some insane courage. Most of the opponents he faces in his games are leagues above him in weight class and power, yet he faces them with a respectable grit and uses what he has to beat them. You can't tell me being able to take Mr. Sandman's uppercuts and dodging that insane speed in say Title Defense mode of the Wii game alone isn't worth some kind of respect He may not be planet-destruction powerful but for the scaling of his world he's pretty dang impressive.
:ultolimar:- Less on him as a character and more of Pikmin as a game series, that stuff is just amazing, especially Pikmin 2. Normally I'm pretty averse to I suppose, real time strategy? type games, but dang is his adventures more than entertaining.
:ultridley:- Contrary to popular belief, his size isn't what makes him Ridley. Ever since Ridley was given the spotlight as Samus' nemesis he's been shown to be a cunning and absolutely brutal creature. If there was one word that truly described him, it wouldn't be big, it would be devastating or ruthless. This Space Pirate's a cold-hearted murder machine!
:ultrob:- Probably a bit more well known but it still cannot be understated that R.O.B's Trojan horse tactic singlehandedly saved the video game industry by putting faith back into the buying public after Atari's lack of quality control completely killed it. Games as we know it wouldn't exist without this beauty of gaming history
:ultsamus:- Actually has a much bigger arsenal than you could imagine. Power bombs, grapple voltage, ice beam, wave beam, plasma beam, x-ray visor, space jump, boost ball, annihilator beam, spider ball, and a whole bunch of other abilities that is just not utilized in Smash. She is much more powerful than Smash does her justice.
:ultdarksamus:- Despite being a partial clone of Samus in the games, she actually has a decent amount to differentiate the two. Her phazon weaponry is extraordinarily powerful and she utilizes it to enhance and thus completely change a lot of Samus' regular abilities. Charge shot for example shoots out a huge sweeping barrage of bolts, her boost ball propels her bouncing around like a supercharged pinball destroying everything in it's path, and to boot, she can summon her own clones called Dark Echoes that have the exact same combat prowess as her, just much easier to destroy. Plus she is extremely tough, being able to survive a complete planetary explosion after already being beaten down by Samus. This monster is much more than meets the eye

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
:ultchrom: is in actual fact the goodest of princes who's utter inability to let anyone in trouble face those dangers alone is what causes his reckless assaults and for him to simultaneously garner a following. Whilst everyone knows Tharja crushes heavily(and creepily) on :ultrobin:, it's Chrom who manages to convince her to join his side, not Robin. He shrugs off his titles, caring little for his royal lineage which is kind of cool IMO.

Whilst lesser lords sit around and talk about destiny and how fate cannot be changed, Chrom gets the **** up and sets out to alter his fate himself. Mad respect. First Robin, who was meant to end his life, and now Smash after getting knocked back...

He's also a good papa, despite having a fully grown daughter suddenly thrust upon him.

:ultmarth: Isn't actually a stuck up noble. That's AwkwardZombie's vision for Marth. Upon learning Marth was actually very much a 'friendship is important' type of guy, Katie seemed pretty disappointed.

Similarly :ultroy: isn't a hot headed moron, once again that was AZ jumping the gun. Makes for a fun comic though.

:ultluigi:Doesn't hate his brother at all and isn't envious. Luigi ain't about that life. He's also not technically a coward. A coward would run away when things got tough, Luigi is terrified but faces those fears head on. He's the bravest one of them all. Any idiot can not be scared and face a challenge. Takes someone who is terrified out their wits to still face up to it to show true bravery.

:ultbowser:Like Chrom is a good papa, and a talented leader to boot.

:ultvillager: Isn't a psychopath.

:ultyoshi: Isn't actually the same Yoshi who journyed in Yoshi's Island thanks to the reboot of Yoshi's Island DS. Yoshi, Mario's friend and the star child is in actual fact the same age as Mario, Luigi, Peach, DK and Wario. Whether Smash Yoshi is Mario's friend who saviour is up for debate however.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Bowser; this is more about personal interpretation than facts I want people to know, but I have seen videos about how people think Bowser has an identity crisis and should go back to being the scary villain.

I say...let him have an identity crisis. What I love the most about Bowser is that he is like Mario in that he has enough of a personality for you to understand who he is, but you can play with him enough to create unique and great scenarios. I love that Bowser can both be a goofy, lovable lug AND a scary, intimidating villain. when he needs to. No other character has that freedom of flexibility. Ganon can't do that, and even if K. Rool is presented as being maniacal, crazy and over the top camp thanks to the cartoon, he still doesn't have that flexibility that makes Bowser so enduring to me.
I'd say that's more than perfectly presented in DKC2, DKC3, and ESPECIALLY DK64. Everything you said about Bowser, I feel works for K.Rool just as much if not better than Bowser. I like both K.Rool and Bowser don't get me wrong but I feel Bowser gets a little too much love/credit just because he's a Mario character. Everytime I see "Top 10 videogame villains of all time" and Bowser is at the top I roll my eyes a little. I love Bowser but man is he a tad overrated and overexposed IMO.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I'd say that's more than perfectly presented in DKC2, DKC3, and ESPECIALLY DK64. Everything you said about Bowser, I feel works for K.Rool just as much if not better than Bowser. I like both K.Rool and Bowser don't get me wrong but I feel Bowser gets a little too much love/credit just because he's a Mario character. Everytime I see "Top 10 videogame villains of all time" and Bowser is at the top I roll my eyes a little. I love Bowser but man is he a tad overrated and overexposed IMO.
Oh I agree about him being over-exposed, but he is an iconic video game villain just as Mario is an iconic video game hero. But I do agree that K.Rool has the potential to break out and diversify his presence, and I hope that Ultimate creates a resurgence of the character and in the next DK game, he becomes the villain once again.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
The fact that my boi has demonstrated over 40 moves throughout the years (and that's counting all of his transformations as one and NOT including Yarn Yoshi), one of which is GRAVITY MANIPULATION!!!

Keep that in mind when discussing feats

Top Bottom