• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you feel are wrong in SSB4?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
No Inkling, Dixie Kong, Lip and Adeleine playable yet. Lots of missed opportunities for alt costumes also. To name a few: Daisy, Ms. Pac-Man, Galacta Knight, Paula, Captain Brittany, maybe even Shadow the Edgyhog. Removing Lucas while adding the edgelord called Dark Pit was also a bad move, in my opinion. Lackluster number of new stages for both versions and lastly, some custom moves could have been used to further differentiate clones from the original characters.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The fact that almost everyone has excelent recoveries and there's not edge hog makes this entry much more ground based.
It will never be in fact focused in battles in the ground because is a smash bros after all.
But I feel this is the game where the air game and the gimp potential are at the minimum.

And this is what I feel is the bigger problem.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
How the update erased all my old replays. I had my first match in For Glory saved...

Oh, the memories of nearly two months ago... WASTED... :cry:

SatoshiM

Smash Cadet
Nothing. The game is fine. If you don't like it go back to Melee or PM.

CanadianSmasher1992

Smash Cadet
Alph not being a separate character. I'm fine with Dark Pit and Lucina being upgraded from alt. costume status to clone, but why couldn't the same have been done to Alph? If only to change his Final Smash at least.

Arle Nadja

Prodigy Sorceress & Girl Power Icon
NNID
ChaoticMarin
3DS FC
1547-5230-3937
Lack of Roy.

Lack of more Mega Man presence. I'm happy with what I got, but I'll never be truly satisfied until we start representing the newer, better Mega Man games. They're not even acknowledged in Mega Man's final smash--Talk about fridge letdown.

Shulk's character design. I'm not a fan. His obscene range makes him a prime choice for players that enjoy wildly attacking in your general direction in hopes you run into them. His monado arts feels completely unnecessary and his buster mode in particular appears optimized for chaining which is another thing I'm not a fan of. The only thing I do like about Shulk is that he stops being a good character when you get good at punishing his lag.

On the 3ds the controls are rage inducing at times. In particular it makes playing Mega Man and doing very precise sequences such as home run contest frustrating because of inputs registering incorrectly.

On the 3ds the screen resolution is so small that it makes spacing difficult, imo. I'm literally upgrading to an XL just to fix this.

Counter dealing more damage/knockback based on how much damage/knockback the triggering attack would do is stupid. You can literally one-shot offensively customized characters with it, and mind you they cannot one shot you back! An attack as easy to use as counter simply shouldn't be that powerful.

I love the game, but these are a couple of things that could be improved to make it better.

Last edited:

sageoflight

Smash Cadet
- The fact that there's no new Metroid playable character aside from Zero Suit Samus (Dark Samus would've been a good choice for this, and possibly Ridley as well)

- The Smash Board mode. It's okay for getting treasure I guess, but unless you're playing with a friend or family member it isn't really that fun until the last turn.

- No Shadow Queen or Princess Daisy costume for Peach

- No Ice Climbers (although I understand why it wasn't possible)

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
No Inkling, Dixie Kong, Lip and Adeleine playable yet. Lots of missed opportunities for alt costumes also. To name a few: Daisy, Ms. Pac-Man, Galacta Knight, Paula, Captain Brittany, maybe even Shadow the Edgyhog. Removing Lucas while adding the edgelord called Dark Pit was also a bad move, in my opinion. Lackluster number of new stages for both versions and lastly, some custom moves could have been used to further differentiate clones from the original characters.
We have a Galacta Knight pallete swap for Meta Knight, its the next one after the flashy pink one with a yellow and brown cape, cant believe there couldn't be a alternate costume like bowser jr. for ness, for lucas.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The fact that Wolf currently isn't playable, and Sakurai decides to pull a stunt like this..

OK. Changes Wolf's trophy model, and codec model, leaves in the hint of him being playable. Includes not one,but 2 different Star Wolf themes on 2 different stages, and one is the alt song in the 3DS version. Seriously, its almost as bad as how he handled Ridley, except Wolf was a playable character in a smash bros game. Wolf had better be his own playable character in Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS via DLC.

D

Deleted member 269706

• :4ness: back throw has way too much knock back.
  • :4zelda: Up B way too strong. Kills heavy characters at relatively low %.
  • :4peach: Can pull up turnips way too often. Total BS to play against.
  • :4lucario: Too heavy, becomes way too OP at high percents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I like Robin tho i want Robins roster picture to be the female version.

I agree with Rosalina. What a useless space.. could have been Toadette/Toad instead.
Not the way it works though. The toads would still have no chance regardless of Rosalina's inclusion.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
Lack of Roy.

Lack of more Mega Man presence. I'm happy with what I got, but I'll never be truly satisfied until we start representing the newer, better Mega Man games. They're not even acknowledged in Mega Man's final smash--Talk about fridge letdown.

Shulk's character design. I'm not a fan. His obscene range makes him a prime choice for players that enjoy wildly attacking in your general direction in hopes you run into them. His monado arts feels completely unnecessary and his buster mode in particular appears optimized for chaining which is another thing I'm not a fan of. The only thing I do like about Shulk is that he stops being a good character when you get good at punishing his lag.

On the 3ds the controls are rage inducing at times. In particular it makes playing Mega Man and doing very precise sequences such as home run contest frustrating because of inputs registering incorrectly.

On the 3ds the screen resolution is so small that it makes spacing difficult, imo. I'm literally upgrading to an XL just to fix this.

Counter dealing more damage/knockback based on how much damage/knockback the triggering attack would do is stupid. You can literally one-shot offensively customized characters with it, and mind you they cannot one shot you back! An attack as easy to use as counter simply shouldn't be that powerful.

I love the game, but these are a couple of things that could be improved to make it better.
I agree with your point on Shulk. He has mad range.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
I know! I would've really liked a Ms Pac Man, Peach, and Lucas alt palette too.

Raijinken

Smash Master
  • Samus is still the only playable Metroid character
  • Captain Falcon is the only playable F-Zero character
  • Ganondorf still a semiclone
  • Too many Pokemon
  • Too many Mariolings
  • No Roy
  • No Japanese voice option

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
- Dr. Mario runs too slow (pls just make him closer to Falco's speed on the ground, it wouldn't hurt anyone.)
- Megavitamins should do 2% more.

Hoof, what a list!

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
My gripes with this game have to do with some of the roster choices, but that's a can of worms I don't want to open myself. So I'll just talk about the seemingly minor things instead:

• It's like 80% of the stages are flat-out unplayable because of the increase of obnoxious stage hazards. Also, too many of them are "past stages" from earlier games, instead of potentially new stages from the rich sources of these present franchises.
  • The decision to leave it at two songs per stage bugs me...why in earth would they do such a thing? To make people buy the Wii U version just so they don't have to deal with this crap? And what's the point of switching between songs by pressing a button, when the alternate song has a 50% chance of happening anyway?
  • No Target Test mode, and yet we have Event Mode (in the Wii U version) and Home-run Contest back.
  • Lots of missed alt. costume opportunities, which were taken away by Project M.
  • Metroid representation in this game is a joke, but then again it always has been.
  • Minor issue in the grand scheme of things, but I would have preferred it if :4robinf: was the default gender instead. Especially considering that :4lucina: was a last-minute addition to the game.

Last edited:

smashbroskilla

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5086-2745-2582
Nothing. The game is fine. If you don't like it go back to Melee or PM.
If you don't like the thread don't post in it.

As for OP my complaints are:

Restrictions in for glory mode-this is the biggest problem with smash 4 and will make people bored of playing it online REAL quick. No option for customized characters in for glory online. Being forced to play 2 minute battles with friends online in for glory instead of setting it to stocks and choosing a competetive stage.

Dark Pit.

No option for voice in public game settings at character select screen.

Not being able to add not much more than springs and cannons in stage editer.

The invincibility frames of rolls.

Not being able to turn off stage hazards. There are some excellent songs and stages I would love to play and listen to and not deal with some giant thing flying back and forth across the screen. How hard would it be to make it an option?

Last edited:

guedes the brawler

Smash Lord
NNID
Rafabrawl
Really? Why so?
i don't want to start a derail, but i want to give an explanation... so please don't answer back.

Rosalina was a barely-important NPC in Galaxy 1, was basically an useless cameo in galaxy 2, and though she was playable in 3DW, it was only for the last bit of the game (and i' am not convinced sakurai knew that would be a thing when he decided on it). i don't think she deserved a chance in smash when a Toad sin't fully playable (toads were starter playable characters in 4 games already, with important side-jobs as shop owners in a few games and useless job in others [SMB and SMS notably)]

Even if Toad is just a species, why is that a problem if "Yoshi" is also a species AND a definite character as seen in the ending of the DS YI? yoshi representing his own series is a generic character; the one helping mario isn't. And even if they were to pick any of the playable Toads and specify their roles, we'd be having a more important character overall than Rosalina.

sure, she was unique, but... everyone can be unique, and Rosalina herself proves that since she is incredibly unique when nothing she uses in smash was a direct transition form her games; and for Toad it's unlikely a moveset based around power-ups WOULDN'T be his thing, but i'm not sakurai, so.

As for Robin, i personally see Chrom as more of a main character than Robin due to having direct presence on the whole plot and gampelay whereas Robin has a forced indirect presence since he isn't anymore relevant tot he plot than the other shepherds for quite a bit of the first 2 arcs. Heck, chapter 13 really hgihlight the focus of the story, with both chrom and Robin getting big moments and Chrom's endign with a movie cutscne and CG where Robin has neither.

Not to mention Chrom's character actually evolves during the story where Robin's is static, and Chorm is really the icon of awakening. you don't see Robin available in the monster hunter DLC, and you didn't see Robin much in advertisements and trailers... not to mention the tittle screen and opening.

i get sakurai's logic and i disagree with it. Chrom had more potential to be an interesting character than Ike did. but then again, Sakurai actually ignores plenty of stuff he could use, what with Marth having no shield + gemstones, Ike not having more skills or an Axe (by now), or Robin himself not even having ignis.

i think that as far as the actual in-franchise representation goes, the most important characters should be getting the focus, and "uniqueness' isn't a good excuse in my opinion, when ANYONE can be unique. Heck, when i look at :4greninja:,:4pacman: and :4miibrawl: i don't think it's even hard to bring movesets better than what Sakurai accepts as unique.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
:4duckhunt:: I can understand characters who can camp, but a character that is base around camping is a different story. This character isn't fun to play as and annoying to fight. Its a bad gimmicky playstyle that shouldn't be encouraged.

:rosalina:: I just think her luma needs a 20 sec respawn time and be a bad character without luma. I mean she shouldn't be the main damage dealer she should have weak knock back moves and be almost helpless without luma.

:4lucario:: just take rage away from this character and he will be fair.

:4littlemac::I used to hate him but I just don't find him fun to fight. I say he's perfect were he is just that it's annoying that u lost a game because of a K.O Punch. But he really shouldn't be getting all the hate hes has been getting up to now.

To me this would have been the best smash if these characters wheren't part of the game. Now for a small list that should have made it in the game

Any D.K rep I mean theres like 4 other characters from that they can pick from.

Ridley being playable or just a metroid rep. People have been asking for Ridley for 14 years now. I'm impressed that nintendo is a bit to stubborn to put him in. Smash bros isn't canon.

And maybe more megaman reps but I'm just a fan asking for more. Since megaman battle network is my favorite game of all time.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I have a big problem with this game, and that's the single player gameplay. It's basically made of grinding and farming. Since the release date of the game, I only grinded... trophies, special moves, mii headgears... I just finished today, and I was very frustrated. If it wasn't for the online/freeforall/multiplayer mode (which I enjoy, and I quite like the physics and the engine of the game, even if I still prefer Melee a little), this would have been my all times worst experience with a game.

The game mechanics are fine, and I really like how some annoying tricks (wavedash, L cancel, and even edge hogging, I never liked that too much) were removed, I'm fine with the gameplay and luckily the annoying items can be disabled (I like playing with items on, but I usually disable the broken ones).

What's wrong with the gameplay then? It's wrong that it's too hard KOing people (depending on the character you're using, I use Kirby and for me it's hard). Even if you manage to bring your opponent at 170%, you continue hitting him without killing him, unless you use one of those moves that can kill (in Kirby's case, hammer, stone, or smashes), that usually are very slow, laggy and predictable and make you feel like a spammer in your opponent's eyes.
There is also a bit too much control mid-air, and the dodges/shield are a bit too much effective. It makes the whole gameplay just spam and dodge, and grab to stop dodges and spams and deal some damage.
Still a lot better than Brawl anyway (as I said, even if I prefer Melee, the gameplay is still enjoyable for me, so it's not a real issue, it just could have been better).

My second big problem is the representation. Characters, stages, trophies... everything is wrong. Lots of clones, lots of 8 and 16 bit graphics, reused stages and generic/casual stages.
The representation is splitted like this:
-Current
-Retro
where Current is the representation of content from current games, released in this generation or in the last generation; Retro is only content from very old games that are the first ones in which a character appeared for the first time, mostly 8 bit things.

Everything from SNES to Gamecube is completely ignored, with some very minor exceptions.
The handheld retro games are completely ignored, with the only exception of the prince from that japan only game (and Pokèmon, for obvious reasons)... they even removed Jill & Drill Dozer.

Most fans wanted a game that represented the history of Nintendo, while Sakurai provided a game that represents what Nintendo is today, with some extremely retro references that doesn't represent all the history of Nintendo at all.

And the representation of the current Nintendo is even wrong: for example Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of content, but they are minor-to-average series... bigger series like Metroid and Donkey Kong got very few content instead. Most people blame Sakurai's bias, and I'm starting to think that they're right.

Last edited:

Rojo Espada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rojo_Espada
3DS FC
4313-0371-7210
For real even with that she's still fairly awful. Still my main though because I think she's fun to play regardless of how good or bad she is.
Oh yeah, she's a lot more fun to play as this time around. I'm even considering her as a secondary now.

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
The Game is much slower then Brawl, makes playing Fox difficult for me D:

the 3DS version holds back the Wii U version immensely.

To many clone characters that -could've- been unique, but didn't have time or Sakurai just didn't want to.

Smash Run/Smash Tour are worthless imho

No Story Mode despite the perfect chance for one involving Master Core.

Thats to name a few.

Farorae

Smash Ace
The Game is much slower then Brawl, makes playing Fox difficult for me D:

the 3DS version holds back the Wii U version immensely.

To many clone characters that -could've- been unique, but didn't have time or Sakurai just didn't want to.

Smash Run/Smash Tour are worthless imho

No Story Mode despite the perfect chance for one involving Master Core.

Thats to name a few.
I agree the story mode would've been cool, but I don't think it takes much away from the game. Smash tour is meh I'll admit but I personally thought smash run was pretty fun, I see why you might not like it though. But idk the game is wayyyyy faster than Brawl and I don't think it has any more clones than the other smash games, actually I think it has less(excluding original) but I'm not too sure.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I have a big problem with this game, and that's the single player gameplay. It's basically made of grinding and farming. Since the release date of the game, I only grinded... trophies, special moves, mii headgears... I just finished today, and I was very frustrated. If it wasn't for the online/freeforall/multiplayer mode (which I enjoy, and I quite like the physics and the engine of the game, even if I still prefer Melee a little), this would have been my all times worst experience with a game.

The game mechanics are fine, and I really like how some annoying tricks (wavedash, L cancel, and even edge hogging, I never liked that too much) were removed, I'm fine with the gameplay and luckily the annoying items can be disabled (I like playing with items on, but I usually disable the broken ones).

What's wrong with the gameplay then? It's wrong that it's too hard KOing people (depending on the character you're using, I use Kirby and for me it's hard). Even if you manage to bring your opponent at 170%, you continue hitting him without killing him, unless you use one of those moves that can kill (in Kirby's case, hammer, stone, or smashes), that usually are very slow, laggy and predictable and make you feel like a spammer in your opponent's eyes.
There is also a bit too much control mid-air, and the dodges/shield are a bit too much effective. It makes the whole gameplay just spam and dodge, and grab to stop dodges and spams and deal some damage.
Still a lot better than Brawl anyway (as I said, even if I prefer Melee, the gameplay is still enjoyable for me, so it's not a real issue, it just could have been better).

My second big problem is the representation. Characters, stages, trophies... everything is wrong. Lots of clones, lots of 8 and 16 bit graphics, reused stages and generic/casual stages.
The representation is splitted like this:
-Current
-Retro
where Current is the representation of content from current games, released in this generation or in the last generation; Retro is only content from very old games that are the first ones in which a character appeared for the first time, mostly 8 bit things.

Everything from SNES to Gamecube is completely ignored, with some very minor exceptions.
The handheld retro games are completely ignored, with the only exception of the prince from that japan only game (and Pokèmon, for obvious reasons)... they even removed Jill & Drill Dozer.

Most fans wanted a game that represented the history of Nintendo, while Sakurai provided a game that represents what Nintendo is today, with some extremely retro references that doesn't represent all the history of Nintendo at all.

And the representation of the current Nintendo is even wrong: for example Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus got a lot of content, but they are minor-to-average series... bigger series like Metroid and Donkey Kong got very few content instead. Most people blame Sakurai's bias, and I'm starting to think that they're right.
You can't tell me that stuff from the Super Nintendo to the Gamecube is being ignored because that isn't true, just check some of the stages we got. And besides, a lot of the references you mentioned are found in previous Smash games, they had their chance before and they sure used it, obviously they wanted to show off some of their new stuff now. Time goes on so it kind of puzzles me that some people feel outraged when they use a lot of modern times reference material instead of the older one that has been used already multiple times in the previous Smash games.

So yes, most fans wanted a game that represented the history of Nintendo, and I say that we got it.

And please, "lots of clones"? Since when three clones in a 51 roster is a lot? Better check your math on that one. I get that there can be valid criticism but I can't help but roll my eyes when people overblow the quantity of clones, because that just screams desperation to find something to complain about.

Last edited:

OmegaSorin

The Lucky Hero
NNID
Semjax
I agree the story mode would've been cool, but I don't think it takes much away from the game. Smash tour is meh I'll admit but I personally thought smash run was pretty fun, I see why you might not like it though. But idk the game is wayyyyy faster than Brawl and I don't think it has any more clones than the other smash games, actually I think it has less(excluding original) but I'm not too sure.
Its not about how many there are, but how they could've been made unique but were not, Lucina being the only one that really couldn't be in my opinion.

Top Bottom