• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you can't consistently do

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
control stick screws me over when i try to convert the melee muscle memory to 64 :/

Sangoku

Smash Master
OoS means Out of Shield. So usmash OoS is usmash out of shield, made possible because you can jump out of shield and because you can jump cancel usmash.

Things I can't do:
- Down B recovery with Luigi and Mario (more Mario)
- Short hop dair uair with Mario (I full hop/the attack doesn't come out/the uair doesn't come out/the uair isn't z-cancelled)
- DJC shield break with Yoshi (can't do it with Ness either, but I'm closer than with Yoshi). I see what ballin meant about the joystick thing, but my problem is more not having DJCs fast enough.
- Often miss DJC from the ground to a platform (I'm using the second jump at the exact time to cancel it on the platform...)
- SH double uair with Pikachu
- Comboing in general, especially with Fox and Yoshi

Huh the list could go on forever. I suck.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
OoS means Out of Shield. So usmash OoS is usmash out of shield, made possible because you can jump out of shield and because you can jump cancel usmash.

Things I can't do:
- Down B recovery with Luigi and Mario (more Mario)
- Short hop dair uair with Mario (I full hop/the attack doesn't come out/the uair doesn't come out/the uair isn't z-cancelled)
- DJC shield break with Yoshi (can't do it with Ness either, but I'm closer than with Yoshi). I see what ballin meant about the joystick thing, but my problem is more not having DJCs fast enough.
- Often miss DJC from the ground to a platform (I'm using the second jump at the exact time to cancel it on the platform...)
- SH double uair with Pikachu
- Comboing in general, especially with Fox and Yoshi

Huh the list could go on forever. I suck.
make sure you button slide for sh double uair with pika and mario dair uair

also the joystick thing is for yoshi nair chains. you should be able to shield break without that in most cases.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
I just switched to playing on console from playing on keyboard for years.
There's too much to list, so I won't do it. I still think keyboard is superior to controller, but then again I still can't move smoothly.
I have the rhytm of SHDL down, but i can't slide my thumb well enough: it's either so fast the first laser doesn't shoot, or so slow I full jump instead of short-hopping.

Sangoku

Smash Master
make sure you button slide for sh double uair with pika and mario dair uair

also the joystick thing is for yoshi nair chains. you should be able to shield break without that in most cases.
I do slide, but as I said it would mostly either full jump or not attack. With pika I also fair on accident sometimes. I thought the joystick thing would help the shieldbreak since the character slides at each nair. And I can't nair chain anyway.

:phone:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I just switched to playing on console from playing on keyboard for years.
There's too much to list, so I won't do it. I still think keyboard is superior to controller, but then again I still can't move smoothly.
I have the rhytm of SHDL down, but i can't slide my thumb well enough: it's either so fast the first laser doesn't shoot, or so slow I full jump instead of short-hopping.
funnily enough SHDL is one of the few things i can do on controller but not on keyboard

its ok, my fox game is basically throw techchasing and nothing else

Sangoku

Smash Master
Oh I had never thought of it. I'm not a big fan of R attacks (same with DJCs), but maybe I'll give it a try. Can you short hop double uair/uair nair easier with falcon too with R?

SSBPete

Smash Lord
if you generally use A to attack, then i wouldnt change, i would personally just practice until you've got the timing

but if you really really can't do it, then give R a chance. i use it for everything including DJCs and sh uair nair with falcon. it's in one of my combos, it was one of the easier parts

Ninja in Overalls

Smash Apprentice
i really cant imagine how anyone would possibly rather play on keyboard than console, but maybe thats because i just started using a keyboard a few days ago.... shdl is so much easier on console, and marios shda is really easy in my opinion is you use r for the dair and then a and z for the uair, just seems like it works better and faster. Maybe thats just becuase most of what i do is play mario and shda all day long...XD

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I think it depends on what you are used to. I personally play controller, and keyboard seems foreign to me. But someone who is good on keyboard says the same thing about controller. I don't think kb players have any trouble shdl or shdairuair w/ mario, its just different than controller, plus with hax DI.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
i would never choose controller over keyboard just because im able to SHDL on it (and my relative success rates are like 7% keyboard 85% console)

also short hop double aerials are ridic easy on keyboard...adding that fastfall is when it gets dumb

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Dash Dance. I can do really flashy shield break combos, but I can never dash dance in 64 and it annoys me soooo much.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Now that's where KB actually does have the advantage

although you can DD on horis pretty well too.

Reg n64 controller sucks at superfast DD's. Although I have no idea why you would want to use those.

M!nt

Smash Champion
huh, didn't know that. I would be too afraid I would up+b in the wrong direction to use it tho.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
my problem is that i always up+B the wrong direction when trying to extend the height...

instant death

so i usually stick with the regular ones or horizontally extended jumps

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yea, people don't actually try that method enough to judge consistency lol (do they....?)

plus, as Semp said, if you mess up- you upB in the wrong direction lol.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I do it once in a while in friendlies. It's actually really easy, just too low-reward and high-risk if you do fail for some reason.

SSBPete

Smash Lord
OMG this is a great day!!

some people were discussing legit 0-death combos using only 1 type of attack

i hypothesised luigi could, using only up-b's

starking said it was impossible

in the words of the great tank

PWNED

Top Bottom