• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you can't consistently do

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I want this thread to stay up :/ List of things you can't consistently do no matter how much you try. Especially things other "pros" can usually do but you can't. Need new methods of improving I guess.

Fox - I struggle with fox the most. He's like the funnest character to play to me, but I can't consistently play him to save my life. When it comes to combos I don't know much set combos for fox, I usually just use my smash sense and try to connect whatever I think works at the very moment, and it sometimes comes out as a cool combo. The thing I struggle the most with is yep, SHDL. Sometimes I can do it like 50% of the time, some days I can't do it at all. I can't consistently "quick" shine, which connects things like shine jab. And I can't consistently teleport, especially to the right.
Yoshi - Another character I find funnest to play. I can do about everything with yoshi, still those things that I can't consistently do though. Like parry, nair chain combo, shieldbreak, canceling djcs.
Falcon - I can pretty much do everything with Falcon. He's like my best character on average. Simple and easy to use. Maybe sometimes I can't complete combos.
Pikachu - I've been playing pikachu a lot and hes gotten a lot better, but I still struggle mostly with pinpointing his recovery.
Ness - Can't consistently combo, or do advanced things in general, sometimes don't even bother to try.
Luigi - Like the easiest character to play to me. Only things I really can't consistently do is fastfall aerials after a short hop dair, and recovering with down b (not as bad as mario)
Jigglypuff - Can't consistently teleport, especially to the right.
Mario - Can't consistently short hop dair uair. Struggle with down b recovery, it's really bad.
DK - Can do everything with DK.
Samus - Samus is simple. Can't consistently teleport... especially to the right.
Link - Can't consistently combo.
Kirby - Can't consistently pivot utilt, combo, or play him in general. I rarely play him because hes flat out boring to me.

In general can't consistently DI, platform drop, space, read and respond, play smart. I mess up a lot, anyone that has played me frequently, you should notice my playstyle is pretty sloppy and may even change up completely. My skill "tier" level seems to go up and down, I'm a pretty inconsistent player and I can't seem to control it. In additional details, I'm a paranoid schizophrenic with adhd, I've come to think that my disorder might be the main source to the problem... I've been taking schizophrenic medication for the past week or so that I had left over from years ago and my performance on average seems to be better, I can usually keep up with all B-ter and A-tier players, but the inconsistency still ensues. I play using a green n64 controller, but I think I need a new one because recently my z button has been messing up now :(, sometimes I can't shield or I overly shield.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Things I've tried to learn but can't:

plat-drop uairs with DK

consistent pivot combos to the right with falcon (lololol)

consistent uair-falcon punching with falcon

SHDL

ballin4life

Smash Hero
mario - dair uair AKA hardest thing in the game.

luigi/mario - down B mashing for recovery

fox - shine usmash, teleport

jiggs - teleport (for some reason i'm WAY better at fox's teleport. and even better than that at samus's teleport)

falcon - fh dair -> ff aerial ;)

ness - nair chain

yoshi - parry double jump land

i've also never been able to do that platform drop cancel stuff

TANK64

Smash Lord
Mario- Dair>Uair (ff?) with z-cancel, especially when not hitting a char (AKA the hardest thing in the game)

Luigi/Mario- I'll miss the z-cancel lots on ff>Uair off one of DreamLand lower platforms if I don't hit a char.

Still never REALLY tried platform drops. Does those even count? lol

EDIT: Just saw the callout :p

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
the only thing that springs to mind for me is the 270 degree teleport method when trying to teleport to the right. for whatever reason can't do it that way =|

Olikus

Smash Champion
i find luigi downb recovery very easy and mario downb recovery pretty hard. Is that normal?

M!nt

Smash Champion
i find luigi downb recovery very easy and mario downb recovery pretty hard. Is that normal?
^this

uhh lets see can't do those uair donkey kong platform cancels

can't do mario dair->uair
can't pivot to edge with falcon ; _ ;
can't play link
can't SHDL very well

Yoshi_King64

Smash Rookie
I can't do anything with fox. Tried shdl for an hour and gave up.
Yoshi is my fav char but I suck at him. Never can parry in game and I'm pretty bad at djc. I can do it easily I just can't combo with it

ballin4life

Smash Hero
^this

uhh lets see can't do those uair donkey kong platform cancels
use short hop and it autocancels

can't do mario dair->uair
because it's impossible

can't pivot to edge with falcon ; _ ;
fastfall after the pivot off the edge and it's easy

can't play link
why would you want to? :troll:

can't SHDL very well
button slide left c to b then hit b again and keep that PEW PEW rhythm in your head

People that can't do Yoshi nair chains:

the key is how well you move the stick in between nairs to make sure you're moving forward as much as possible during each aerial. there's a little trick where if you do a super fast DJC you'll stay in place but if you wait like 1 millisecond longer you can float forwards for a bit, almost like the ness extended horizontal DJC

WOTG

Banned via Warnings
I forgot to add, I can't do the quick jab to grab. I don't even bother.

And here I thought I was the only one.

plat-drop uairs with DK

SHDL
Maybe I should start playing like you battlecattle :awesome:
because it's impossible
:lol:

Ok i'll try, I can do it with fox pretty easily, but falcon, nope.
It's probably the easiest to do with Falcon and Luigi. That's interesting. Interesting to see what people struggle at.

Oh yeah, when I mean things you can't consistently do, I mean things you can't do like 90% of the time, not just things you CANT do.

SSBPete

Smash Lord

plat-drop uairs with DK

SHDL
why do you even play this game?

plat-drop uair combos are probably the most satisfying combo in the game

pivots are easy

there is downright absolutely no reason to main falcon unless you can consistently falcon punch combo

shdl is one of the most useful techniques in the game

:troll:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
uh

platdrop u-air in general, as well as up-b oos (depending on the keyboard im using, lol)

luigi: win
mario: combo
dk: f-throw f-air, i just can't get it sometimes
link: aerial up-b edge cancels (this would be a ridiculously good poke if i mastered this - ironically, i can do the b-move edge boost and run-off up-bs basically every time)
samus: f-smash repeatedly (the BEST shield pressure)
falcon: not spamming u-smash like an idiot
ness: horizontal extended djc u-airs
yoshi: a lot of things, lol
kirby: not much, maybe rock cancels :awesome:
fox: a ridiculous amount of stuff, but i have short hop single lasers and shines fairly solid
pika: comboing with u-air sometimes
jiggs: not much

ballin4life

Smash Hero
link: aerial up-b edge cancels (this would be a ridiculously good poke if i mastered this - ironically, i can do the b-move edge boost and run-off up-bs basically every time)
it's like RAYEEAAIIN on your wedding day

Everything

Except maybe grabbing after spikes, im very good at those
grabbing after spikes is kinda hard IMO

I think my problem with it is that I keep forgetting to stick jump lol
huh? you don't need to stick jump to do DK platform uairs. at least not on hyrule bottom platform or on the DL side platforms

Battlecow

Play to Win
why do you even play this game?

plat-drop uair combos are probably the most satisfying combo in the game

pivots are easy

there is downright absolutely no reason to main falcon unless you can consistently falcon punch combo

shdl is one of the most useful techniques in the game

:troll:
pivots to the right are ****ing hard dude. LEFT is easy, I'll admit.

and I don't play fox or DK

Waaaaah

Froski

Boss of Bosses
The thing i cant do consistenly but can pull off is dk platform drop uairs

Mario Dair Uair is easy for me if im going to the right but hard going to the left (dem uairs....)

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
I can't do anything when I'm sad :c or thinking in that person. :c :c
keep your head up buddy! :D

for people having trouble with the mario luigi downBs, if you got hit off stage farther away and you want to use it early, i found using two fingers with my right hand and just getting the rhythm down. i get max 90% of the time(on kaillera like 40 LOL).

still have a hard time doing up airs going dropping from the platform and fastfall aerial after running off a platform.
-SHDL i get maybe 1% of the time. cant time it right and usually end up FH
-Yoshi DJC i can cancel right bout 50% of the time. dont play too much yoshi though
-mario up airs i can never time right. dunno why.
-cant DI...

also i have a really bad habit of spamming Z when trying to cancel characters with a drill d-air (ex: fox and mario), causing me to be late when trying to attack afterwards. bleh i need moar practice!!

@bcow, pivots to the right are a hellofa lot easier for me. :D

TANK64

Smash Lord
i was able to short hop reasonably consistently with stick when i held the stick with index and thumb Like a BOSS
Fixed

-cant DI...
lol

also i have a really bad habit of spamming Z when trying to cancel characters with a drill d-air (ex: fox and mario), causing me to be late when trying to attack afterwards. bleh i need moar practice!!
Just spam R and then you'll grab after. Your Mario is now fixed.

meh- Fox you might actually benefit a lot from timing it lol.

Mahie

Smash Lord
  • Shine Usmash with Fox
  • Dash Pivot Shieldrop Edgehog on DL
  • Reverse LDI, only like half the time I try...
  • Getting out of Falcon's stupid aerials. uair.
  • Shieldbreakers with Fox, Falcon, Link...

1nf3ct3d

Smash Rookie
JC = jump cancel?
with ness djc is obvious cause he can cancel the jump, but on falcon?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
JC = jump cancel?
with ness djc is obvious cause he can cancel the jump, but on falcon?
you can cancel most (every?) characters jump by turning it into upsmash in the early frames. Not useful I don't think, Rocky's just crazy.

things I can't do:

Fox: shine -> anything, teleport,
Yoshi: anything with yoshi except that STANDARD utilt to djc uair X 1000000
Ness: anything with ness except that STANDARD utilt to utilt (lol copy and paste)
Falcon: doing a falcon fthrow -> dash pivot bair, mostly cuz I never think to do it until its too late. reverse fairs and anything flashier than that.
DK: platform drop uair combos
Luigi: sh aerial -> ff second aerial
Mario: sh fair -> uair is waaaaaaay tougher than sh dair -> uair guys
pikachu: not very good at long combos with pika, but can do most of the technical stuff (I think)
Jiggs: teleport, tho I'm close to what I'd call consistent
Samus: teleport, sh dair lol
Link: that neutral b boost, ledge canceling up-b
kirby: utilting is tough. Just a really technical character right here I have a lot of trouble with utilt combo's. I always forget if I can utilt them 19 or 20 times and end up losing the combo. Tough stuff man.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
not being able to jc usmash means I can't usmash out of a dash I'm pretty sure? Because that's what I'm failing at LOL

Mahie

Smash Lord
Yeah I don't see how that's not important, you're definitely right. Neither that, nor Usmash oos.

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
Yeah I don't see how that's not important, you're definitely right. Neither that, nor Usmash oos.
usmash oos is pretty easy to me, I just get ****ed up by the quarter-circle motion required for a running usmash XD

Top Bottom