• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that frustrate you as a Robin player/main

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I just want to say that I lost a lot of respect for Raziek after he started hating on male Robin in Twitch chat. I don't know about Dath, but both Raziek and Nairo hate on male Robin, and if two of the top three Robin mains hate on male Robin, it gives people justification to keep doing it.
We're not hating, we're poking fun, please take the stick out of your ass.

Goddamn. You need thicker skin if that actually bothers you.

There is a gigantic difference between jokingly saying 'Male Robin sucks/ is a weenie' and making fun of actual male Robin PLAYERS. I do not do the latter. I do the former because his voice is nerdy and he sounds like a goober, and waifu is laifu.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I have a friend who lends me his controller signed by David Vincent himself when I need to go ham and stage a comeback.

Where's your Lauren Landa-autographed controller, eh? 8D

-smugly cashes that check in the bank-

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I just want to say that I lost a lot of respect for Raziek after he started hating on male Robin in Twitch chat. I don't know about Dath, but both Raziek and Nairo hate on male Robin, and if two of the top three Robin mains hate on male Robin, it gives people justification to keep doing it.
Dude... it's clearly all in good fun. Yeah, it sometimes gets grating to hear "why are you using male robin, lol" but you really need to learn to take those comments in stride.

I mean... You lost respect for Raziek over this? smh

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Dude... it's clearly all in good fun. Yeah, it sometimes gets grating to hear "why are you using male robin, lol" but you really need to learn to take those comments in stride.

I mean... You lost respect for Raziek over this? smh
You ever had a friend who thought he was funny, but only knew one joke? And so he would just repeat that one joke over and over again? And at first it was kinda funny, but after hearing that joke a million times, it just got really ****ing annoying and you just wanted to punch that guy in the face every time he said it? And then you hear someone else make that same joke, and even though this guy didn't know that you had heard that joke a million times before, you still think to yourself that he needs to shut the hell up?

It's kinda like that.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
You ever had a friend who thought he was funny, but only knew one joke? And so he would just repeat that one joke over and over again? And at first it was kinda funny, but after hearing that joke a million times, it just got really ****ing annoying and you just wanted to punch that guy in the face every time he said it? And then you hear someone else make that same joke, and even though this guy didn't know that you had heard that joke a million times before, you still think to yourself that he needs to shut the hell up?

It's kinda like that.
...dude, Raziek hasn't said it that much. This, I'm guessing, is more like a bunch of people have been repeating the same joke, then after a while some other guy comes up and repeats it and you vent your anger at him.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
The joking often starts innocuously, but sooner rather than later, thanks to the trolls and the angry, hateful people of the internet, the lines between humor and hate start to get blurred...making other people angry, which fuels the trolls...but I suppose without this cycle, the internet couldn't continue.

But anyway, in an effort to get this thread back on track, has anyone else noticed that it's impossible to get rid of a flashing Elwind Tome quickly? Once I start notice it's flashing, I try to use it up on purpose so I can get a new one, but it's a dangerous tome to try to use quickly, especially when you're >100%. Maybe there's a trick to it...

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
But anyway, in an effort to get this thread back on track, has anyone else noticed that it's impossible to get rid of a flashing Elwind Tome quickly? Once I start notice it's flashing, I try to use it up on purpose so I can get a new one, but it's a dangerous tome to try to use quickly, especially when you're >100%. Maybe there's a trick to it...
There's this.
SH --> (Fair) --> Elwind with the right timing uses the tome but doesn't send you up.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I always just use the wind jab whenever I have the opportunity. Even if it means I have to forego getting an edgeguard or follow up. Getting Elwind back to full charge is way more important.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Wind Jab is mostly safe on characters that can't easily NAir, dodge(light characters), or have quick reflexes, but I don't wholly recommend relying on it as the simpler way of using your wind tome.

Me - I use Wind Jab at low % generally or when I want my opponent above me to put them under pressure for a possible Checkmate. As mentioned, it's a fairly risky jab but has a high enough reward when finding purchase.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Elwind cancelling is massively hard but it would be a very effective method. It's a skill I'd like to learn one day once I have a better handle on other things.

It might be feasible to just get a really good idea of how much Elwind you have left. This would also be hard, since you would have to be able to estimate how much of your tome each Jab uses, whether you use a minimum duration one or a longer one. And even that would be tricky, if you managed to know you had, for example, one full cast of Elwind and a one half cast remaining, your calculations and patience would be for naught if you get edge-guarded and need to recover twice. But as it stands I have no innate ability for counting Elwind whatsoever like I do with the other tomes, and I bet most Robin players would say the same.

I think the best strategy would be a combination, some of the counting down to a certain number of remaining casts, be it 1 full one, or 2, or something, with the careful use of Wind Jab, on-stage Elwind, or even Elwind Cancelling if you can do it.

ARGHETH ARGHETH is that (SFAIR) in parentheses just for defensive hitboxes to give your opponent something to think about while you do the Elwind Cancel? Or does that represent something else?

Last edited:

AC NuBurs

Defence Bowser
NNID
ACNuBurs
this threads going a bit mental

Wish I never said anything about male/female robin lol

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
is that (SFAIR) in parentheses just for defensive hitboxes to give your opponent something to think about while you do the Elwind Cancel? Or does that represent something else?
From what I can tell, it's just to put out a defensive hitbox. Elwind Cancelling really only needs you to use Elwind close enough to the ground, so the Fair is optional (Uair and Bair have too much cooldown when done out of a SH, apparently).

XL_

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3282-5463-6168
Nothing really frustrates me except my inability to play against Clouds. I feel like he doesn't care about Robin's projectiles, which combined with his aerial game being top-notch makes me feel like I'm really missing on some key part of the MU that would make it easier for my Robin.

Oh that and when I go to my local and the new faces pick their tertiary character against my Robin in the first game. Respect the tactician, man!

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Elwind peetering out when there's just one blade left? I get that.

Not being able to ledgesnap with that one blade though....

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I couldn't really tell you. It just doesn't.

It's strange, because the Elwind will ledgesnap after the first blade if it has a second one waiting to use. But it's just programmed to not snap when you've got one use left.

InfiniteThoronz

Smash Cadet
I couldn't really tell you. It just doesn't.

It's strange, because the Elwind will ledgesnap after the first blade if it has a second one waiting to use. But it's just programmed to not snap when you've got one use left.
Sakura y u do dis

PeejsterM

Smash Cadet
But as it stands I have no innate ability for counting Elwind whatsoever like I do with the other tomes, and I bet most Robin players would say the same.
Honestly, the issue is that there are several different ways that Elwind durability can be expended that all count for different amounts. Windjab takes variable amounts of durability depending on how long you use it before stopping, and in several cases you can end up canceling the move after firing only the first blade. And once you get to that 33% area where the tome starts flashing, you have no idea whether it'll give you 1 blade or 2 unless you've already been tracking its durability.

It's not like Arcfire and Nosferatu where performing the move once counts as one use. Thunder tome is similar in that its lifetime can vary, but each projectile is visually distinct so you know exactly how much energy was used.

DeadLuckChris

Smash Cadet
Wish you could shoot elwind horizontally when you're on the ground. It be a safer way to waste your tome rather than us the jab,

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
The fact that he's as tall as Chrom in Awakening but he's like a whole foot shorter in Smash 4.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Nope, and as someone who would love it if Nosferatu didn't force a freefall off the stage I'd say Robin is in a good place despite our flaws against popular fighters.

Who knows? I believe this isn't the last of the balance patching. DLC for sure, but balance? I have my doubts.

Edit: I'm just going to say it: Avokha, I love your avatar and your gif.

Last edited:

DeadLuckChris

Smash Cadet
I didnt mean any huge buffs just something like less ending lag on arcfire, thats all i really want tbh.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Darn it. I was hoping Robin would get some tweaks in this new update--preferably a reduction of his lag in general--but according to the Official 1.1.4 Patch Notes, Robin has received no changes whatsoever. [Shrugs] Oh well; there's always the next patch. I fancy Sakurai and his team will make a few more balance patches within the first half of this year before officially disbanding.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Robin has gotten so many buffs in the previous patches, I'm very satisfied, I think we actually are right where we need to be. I think I would prefer if there were no further changes to Robin. Too many more buffs and we'll have people all over this bandwagon. I mean, "oh no I can't guard my character from the masses boo hoo", but more than that, I think it starts to cheapen the value of playing her and having played her for so long if she were to suddenly become top tier. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Except for bug fixes, like ledge snapping after a single, final Elwind blade completely not working for no good reason. And the books disappearing after they land on the platforms, I can't believe they claimed to have fixed that and it's STILL BROKEN!

Janno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Janno123
And the books disappearing after they land on the platforms, I can't believe they claimed to have fixed that and it's STILL BROKEN!
ikr this is soooo annyoing.
and i agree, robin doesnt need any more huge buffs. Some qol changes would be good tho. Like those books no just disappearing, nosferatu not leading into freefall, maybe a little bit faster movement (jump start up and running speed), a bigger grab range and/or less endlag, more reliabilite on arcfire. something like this. just a little bit to make playing robin feel better

Last edited:

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
I didnt mean any huge buffs just something like less ending lag on arcfire, thats all i really want tbh.
This. This is all I want. How many times have I used Arcfire and was too far to follow up with a Fair or Upair.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Pretty much only this and then Robin will be at a perfect place not OP but not bad (balanced) like how everyone should be. Even though I want a stronger neutral B I can certainly live without that. Tips says Robin has strong magic but it clanks with everything so lol no the force is not strong with this one.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I fail to see how less lag on Arcfire would make Robin "balanced."
Simply because Robin can't be considered OP and yet even now Robin is not bad. I do feel Robin is in a good spot now but that one thing would put Robin towards perfect. Less lag would open up so much. I fail to see how you fail to see.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Simply because Robin can't be considered OP and yet even now Robin is not bad. I do feel Robin is in a good spot now but that one thing would put Robin towards perfect. Less lag would open up so much. I fail to see how you fail to see.
You have a projectile that grants stage control, can trap opponents for combos/kills, can't simply be perfect shielded, and works as a great edgeguarding tool. It's an incredibly powerful and versatile tool kept balanced by the fact that mindlessly throwing it out can get you punished. Removing that endlag makes it significantly less balanced.

I swear, 90% of the "buffs" people suggest for Robin are just removing all his/her weaknesses.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
You have a projectile that grants stage control, can trap opponents for combos/kills, can't simply be perfect shielded, and works as a great edgeguarding tool. It's an incredibly powerful and versatile tool kept balanced by the fact that mindlessly throwing it out can get you punished. Removing that endlag makes it significantly less balanced.

I swear, 90% of the "buffs" people suggest for Robin are just removing all his/her weaknesses.
You talk about it like it is the most godly thing in the world. It is good but you make it seem like we can flawlessly win against the entire roster. I don't want to get rid of its endlag just decrease it a LITTLE bit to make it the tool it is meant to be. It still won't win us MU's by itself but damn even just 2 frames off would be glorious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom