• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that frustrate you as a Robin player/main

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I agree with False Sense on this one, Arcfire is such a dangerous, long-lasting effect that I feel it is currently well-balanced with the amount of endlag it has. It's an often requested buff for Robin along with improved run speed, but I think these two weaknesses are intrinsic to how Robin's kit is supposed to work.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I can see where the frustration comes from though as I have mentioned before. His flaws are easily exploited by popular fighter traits: speed and mobility.

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I can see where the frustration comes from though as I have mentioned before. His flaws are easily exploited by popular fighter traits: speed and mobility.
This. Now I don't want faster run speed but a little less endlag on arcfire would not hurt. And Zar it being long lasting doesn't really amount to much and is actually a detriment against characters like G&W and Ness/Lucas. Characters with great speed and mobility don't respect it and others can easily short hop it. Not saying its bad I like Robin's whole kit very much but a slight tweak could be helpful.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
And Zar it being long lasting doesn't really amount to much
I have to vehemently disagree with you there. The long-lasting-ness of Arcfire makes it perfect for edgeguarding. Placing it correctly on the edge of the stage when an opponent is grabbing the ledge will LITERALLY remove 4/5 of their possible recovery options. Jump, stand, attack, and idle. Leaving them only with roll.

This is just one example of the power of Arcfire.

Not to mention, Arcfire is also a holder of one of the "best moves of each type". http://smashboards.com/threads/best-moves-of-each-type.384871/

Side B: :4sonic::4olimar::4diddy::4bowserjr::4lucario::4villager::4bowser::4robinm::4marth::4feroy:

Along with our Thunder, Jab, Dthrow, Sair, Sbair, and Supair.

I'm just trying to say that Arcfire is already such a great move, buffing it in any way would just be a bit silly. There are plenty of other, much more terrible attacks (and frankly, ,more importantly, QOL changes) I think it would be better to focus on instead of making one of her most powerful moves even more overpowered.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
Wait im confused, when was arcfire ever that good?
Since always. It's a wall and trapper that lasts forever and can combo into aerials for damage or kills. It lasts long enough to be good at covering the ledge and refreshes after ten seconds.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Arcfire's benefits definitely outweigh its flaws. Firewall custom 3, for example, only fixes a couple of its flaws while sacrificing more. Arcfire+ is even SLOWER but covers much more ground and actually works decent against projectile spammers(from the air at least). Robin's terrible customs are a whole different topic though.

As much as I believe Robin's flaws are too easily seen, I do believe we're in a good spot in terms of balance. After all: Robin's kit seems to benefit nicely from a player's wit!

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
As much as I believe Robin's flaws are too easily seen, I do believe we're in a good spot in terms of balance. After all: Robin's kit seems to benefit nicely from a player's wit!
I do agree with this like I said but a buff to arcfire isn't ludicrous by any means. It isn't OP nor would it be with that change. It would be nice and that's what I would like but Robin is balanced I feel just like Dark/Pit and CFalc ... Sure it can't be buffed to make it some ultimo move but the one I suggested would help it a little without taking away its weaknesses which do exist and that's good to keep it balanced.

Zareidriel Zareidriel just curious what you think terrible attacks/QOL changes you would like to focus on. I hope its not a better jumpsquat like some people have mentioned. Would like to know what you find is in need of a change that would be in the realm of possibility without making Robin OP

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Hm, well I guess things like these:

1. No special fall on Nosferatu
2. Dtilt range
3. Tomes that eject onto platforms no longer disappear
4. Higher walk speed? would be kinda nice
5. Faster connections between jab 1, 2, 3, for less escapeyness
6. More grab range...just a tiny bit would be nice
7. I'd like to have another Nosferatu! =)
8. ~2 frames less landing lag on aerials
9. MUCH less landing lag on dair
10. Nosferatu being able to hit an enemy VERY CLOSE to you
11. 0.1 more air acceleration would be AMAZING
12. Higher jump, either one of them but preferably 2nd
13. No special fall on Nosferatu

Not all of those are vital, most are just a wishlist...probably the first one, the last one, and number 3 are the most important to me.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Hm, well I guess things like these:

1. No special fall on Nosferatu
2. Dtilt range
3. Tomes that eject onto platforms no longer disappear
4. Higher walk speed? would be kinda nice
5. Faster connections between jab 1, 2, 3, for less escapeyness
6. More grab range...just a tiny bit would be nice
7. I'd like to have another Nosferatu! =)
8. ~2 frames less landing lag on aerials
9. MUCH less landing lag on dair
10. Nosferatu being able to hit an enemy VERY CLOSE to you
11. 0.1 more air acceleration would be AMAZING
12. Higher jump, either one of them but preferably 2nd
13. No special fall on Nosferatu

Not all of those are vital, most are just a wishlist...probably the first one, the last one, and number 3 are the most important to me.
I agree with 1 and 13 but then again I agree with it for just about every character even Sheik. The rest I haven't found to be that bothersome for me except for 3 sometimes like you said. #10 happens to other characters as well grabs and attacks it would be nice if it didn't but I'm no expert on it. As for # 7 do you mean 5 uses for Nos?

Chapter

Smash Rookie
NNID
Triforce - L
I hate when I miss the footstool out of Arcthunder, and I hate when I read my opponent's air dodge out of my DThrow but I can't get the FSmash (only works if their fall-speed makes them air dodge into the ground).

PolkaGnome

Smash Rookie
NNID
PolkaGnome
3DS FC
0447-7277-8278
Let me start by saying I'm more of an intermediate level player/Robin (at best), and can't be bothered to perfectly memorize frame data and such so forgive me if I say something stupid (and please correct me).

With that said, I really wish he didn't have quite so much landing lag (especially after an airdodge), and by connection to that I wish it was somehow a bit easier to get back on stage against characters like Little Mac, but maybe that's just me. (I know N-air, U-air and I think F-air autocancel, but I can't always get the timing right.) Other than that... mostly just things like air-Nosferatu going into freefall, pathetic standing grab range and endlag, Arcfire jab finisher being just slow enough that people can dodge/jump/use Witchtime(!) and avoid it, no ledgesnap when discarding a 1-charge Elwind*, stuff like that.

Other than that my biggest annoyance is probably people that, after losing a round or two, switch to Robin despite not knowing what the hell they're doing because they underestimate the work it takes to use him properly. I enjoy mirror matches so long as my opponent knows what they're doing, or at least is serious about learning the character, but having someone who doesn't know what they're doing spam, "You're not good enough," when it's obvious they've never used the character is... irksome to say the least. /rant

*I'm going to have to practice that Elwind cancel; I've had it happen occasionally while trying to recover, but I never realized it was possible to do it intentionally.

Nah

Smash Champion
Other than that my biggest annoyance is probably people that, after losing a round or two, switch to Robin despite not knowing what the hell they're doing because they underestimate the work it takes to use him properly.
I find it simultaneously bizarre and funny really. I'm not sure why after losing someone will switch to a character they have basically no idea how to play. Like do they think that Robin is :4mario::4cloud: levels of easybake or something? What are they trying to prove by giving me a practically free win? But I see someone do that and I'm just like "lol ok bud you be salty that's cute".

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I find it simultaneously bizarre and funny really. I'm not sure why after losing someone will switch to a character they have basically no idea how to play. Like do they think that Robin is :4mario::4cloud: levels of easybake or something? What are they trying to prove by giving me a practically free win? But I see someone do that and I'm just like "lol ok bud you be salty that's cute".
This happens regardless of character. They're just salty because they lost.

Anyhoo, my main issues are:

- 7 frame jumpsquat should be 5 or 6. Sakurai did the same thing to Link, albeit it's a little more reasonable for him. (Still bothers me though)
- Hard to count the Elwind Tome.
- Free-fall after Nosferatu.
- Fire jab irks me but I can understand its' flaws.
- Wind jab. And most SDI escapable jabs, especially if people can SDI out before the minimum duration. Wind Jab isn't terrible though.
- Slowest walking speed. Really? Come on Sakurai.

Other than that I enjoy playing Red Robin. :3

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well personally, things that irk me have been said already (i.e Nos air going to free fall, Jab (both) not connecting right, slow walking speed, Elwin 1 not ledge grabbing) But I think the one that annoys me the most is his grab. Like seriously, why make it super laggy and short ranged?

Apart from those, maybe BS having to little range maybe? But everything else about Robin is fine.

:135:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I mean, I can't blame them. It's not an entirely unreasonable request. It is a bit silly to have a jumpsquat on par with Charizard, Ike, and Ganondorf. (And...Mii Swordfighter apparently lol)

I think Sakurai's reasoning behind it has something to do with our insanely powerful aerials.

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
I mean, I can't blame them. It's not an entirely unreasonable request. It is a bit silly to have a jumpsquat on par with Charizard, Ike, and Ganondorf. (And...Mii Swordfighter apparently lol)

I think Sakurai's reasoning behind it has something to do with our insanely powerful aerials.
You may have insanely powerful aerials but I prefer Bronze Sword. >.>

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
In regards to Arcfire, I do think it has too much endlag. It's very easy to shield on reaction, especially for small characters, and then they can just roll towards you for an easy punish. I get punished for using Arcfire more often than I get a conversion off of it. I mainly just use it at the ledge when my opponent is recovering now.

This happens regardless of character. They're just salty because they lost.

Anyhoo, my main issues are:

- 7 frame jumpsquat should be 5 or 6. Sakurai did the same thing to Link, albeit it's a little more reasonable for him. (Still bothers me though)
- Hard to count the Elwind Tome.
- Free-fall after Nosferatu.
- Fire jab irks me but I can understand its' flaws.
- Wind jab. And most SDI escapable jabs, especially if people can SDI out before the minimum duration. Wind Jab isn't terrible though.
- Slowest walking speed. Really? Come on Sakurai.

Other than that I enjoy playing Red Robin. :3
Robin doesn't have the slowest walking speed, the in-game tooltip is misleading.

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I hate when I miss picking up my Levin sword. I'm pretty aggro with Robin so I tend to drop my tomes and Levin swords a lot. Levin swords always give me trouble when trying to pick them up. I can pick up tomes just fine, but Levin swords hate me.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If you can recognize that Levin Sword has three uses left once it starts flashing, you can count your uses, and immediately Z-catch the discarded Sword after the eighth use provided the eighth use was from an aerial.

After a while, it will become second nature.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I thought the Levin Sword started flashing when it had two uses left.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I really don't like the change to Robin's jab in 1.1.5. They should have increased the hitstun, not the knockback. Might have made the Fire finish more efficient. Now that Robin's first two jabs knock the opponent farther away, I've noticed that Excalibur is much easier to jump out of. Personally, I find this change to be illogical.

Also, I've noticed something that might be a glitch. Sometimes when I grab someone out of Arcthunder, they'll immediately break away. For example, see the below video at 0:34.

I do like how they reduced the startup frames of Nosferatu, though.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I really don't like the change to Robin's jab in 1.1.5. They should have increased the hitstun, not the knockback. Might have made the Fire finish more efficient. Now that Robin's first two jabs knock the opponent farther away, I've noticed that Excalibur is much easier to jump out of. Personally, I find this change to be illogical.
I like to think of the new jab as one the slayer weapons from FE: Fates.
Wind jab; Deals bonus damage against fast fallers, weak against other units. (Get it? :p)

TBH, our wind jab was a little ridiculous imo, and I couldn't help but feel a little guilty when I landed it multiple times. Fire jab seems the same as ever though, at least to me. Considering fast fallers could just just fall and shield it at low percents, I overall consider it a buff.
The change to Nosferatu is pretty nice, not sure what that "set frame duration" change is exactly though.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
The change to Nosferatu is pretty nice, not sure what that "set frame duration" change is exactly though.
I think it means that Nosferatu hits for two frames per hit now...seems to be a minor change in any case.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921

Also, I've noticed something that might be a glitch. Sometimes when I grab someone out of Arcthunder, they'll immediately break away. For example, see the below video at 0:34.

I noticed the jab changes before the change was confirmed, but the wind Jab was already finicky to begin with.

As for the grabbing out of Arcthunder, I already brought it up in the gameplay question thread and it made sense. What happened to you though is definitely weird since you didn't even pummel and you grabbed just as it ended - which is also weird. Usually, Arcthunder's hits continue, even its final knockback hit during the grab, reducing its duration. I noticed your Arcthunder immediately ended when you grabbed.

It's interesting though. I have grabbed out of Arcthunder before and this hadn't happened to me. If I were to guess: the "glitch" happened when you grabbed just as the final hit registered.

Last edited:

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If they added hitstun to Jab, that would mean increasing the damage on it, and with it being disjointed and Frame 4, that might be overtuning it.

The Jab changes means that Mario, Luigi, Sheik, Villager, Fox, Yoshi, a whole mess of characters can't Nair Robin for free between hits 2 and 3, so I will gladly take that.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Robin has...kind of a bum reputation among the cast of Smash 4. A lot of people consider him low tier and assume the low ground speed and subpar frame data guarantee it. Yet we have a dedicated base of Robin mains, as well as several high level players, two of whom have an argument for top level status, and it seems the more competent the Robin player, the more optimistic they are about where Robin stands among the other characters.

So why is it that when it comes to matchups or tier location or viability at all, the people who know Robin the most are treated as less credible than the general fans who have little to no Robin experience? Why is it that, before the newest patch, when we had the likes of @Raziek or @Dathx saying the Robin/Sheik matchup wasn't lopsided and Robin/Meta Knight was outright even, the general response outside this subforum was "lol yeah right"? And what other characters is this happening to?

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
Robin has...kind of a bum reputation among the cast of Smash 4. A lot of people consider him low tier and assume the low ground speed and subpar frame data guarantee it. Yet we have a dedicated base of Robin mains, as well as several high level players, two of whom have an argument for top level status, and it seems the more competent the Robin player, the more optimistic they are about where Robin stands among the other characters.

So why is it that when it comes to matchups or tier location or viability at all, the people who know Robin the most are treated as less credible than the general fans who have little to no Robin experience? Why is it that, before the newest patch, when we had the likes of @Raziek or @Dathx saying the Robin/Sheik matchup wasn't lopsided and Robin/Meta Knight was outright even, the general response outside this subforum was "lol yeah right"? And what other characters is this happening to?
It's basically a combination of two things. First being main bias. Lot of the time people tend to grossly overrate (non-San Ike mains, Jiggs mains, ESAM and Pika, etc) or underrate (ZeRo downplaying the **** out of pre-patch Sheik, etc) their main and so it's easy to just assume that someone talking more positively/negatively about a character than they personally believe is just being biased and therefore what they say is largely invalid.

It's kinda illogical but that's humanity for you.

The other thing is results. People on this site care about results. A lot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but people kind of seem to care only about (stacked) majors, which again, isn't exactly bad but people tend to not give the slightest of ****s about non-majors results when they kinda shouldn't. Robin does well on a more local level and there's plenty of evidence for that (which is a lot more than most low and bottom tiers can say). But.....she kinda has yet to make the sort of major results that the majority of people here seem to care about (top 8 at a national; as far as I know she's never made top 8 at a major before, though has come close at least twice though). So to a lot of people that equals "not a good character". Doesn't help that she's not exactly a common character so people have less experience with the character in general and that also means there's not tons and tons of high level Robin footage for people to watch either like there is for a the common tourney characters.

Just wait though for when Robin gets top 8 at a major and/or takes a set off of a top level player, and then it'll be like Toon Link all over again lol

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
It's basically a combination of two things. First being main bias. Lot of the time people tend to grossly overrate (non-San Ike mains, Jiggs mains, ESAM and Pika, etc) or underrate (ZeRo downplaying the **** out of pre-patch Sheik, etc) their main and so it's easy to just assume that someone talking more positively/negatively about a character than they personally believe is just being biased and therefore what they say is largely invalid.

The other thing is results. People on this site care about results. A lot. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but people kind of seem to care only about (stacked) majors, which again, isn't exactly bad but people tend to not give the slightest of ****s about non-majors results when they kinda shouldn't. Robin does well on a more local level and there's plenty of evidence for that (which is a lot more than most low and bottom tiers can say). But.....she kinda has yet to make the sort of major results that the majority of people here seem to care about (top 8 at a national; as far as I know she's never made top 8 at a major before, though has come close at least twice though). So to a lot of people that equals "not a good character". Doesn't help that she's not exactly a common character so people have less experience with the character in general and that also means there's not tons and tons of high level Robin footage for people to watch either like there is for a the common tourney characters.

Just wait though for when Robin gets top 8 at a major and/or takes a set off of a top level player, and then it'll be like Toon Link all over again lol
Ugh, I've never been a big fan of stacking things based on tournament results. Some characters can be popular or unpopular despite how strong they may actually be, based on how appealing they are to high and top level players. Not to mention how often personal bias gets thrown into the mix, as with all the times you see Robin bashed for having "no results", ignoring the results that are there, and then ranking characters with sigificantly fewer notable placements higher! Seriously, how many times have we seen Robin placed below someone less repped like Falco, someone fallen from favor like Pac-Man, or someone riding entirely on the hype they initially had like Roy?

While I don't know how biased we're being here, and we need to be careful and informed about this kind of thing, I can't help but think the points we make just get disregarded by anyone who doesn't personally know a good Robin. That's the problem, you see: we could see a Robin place high at a major or knock off a big name...but who's to stop the mob from deciding it was a fluke, not allowed to count?

Last edited:

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820

I agree with you my precious Kamaitachi no Jutsu is nerfed.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

Since when did ZeRo downplay Shiek? Heck, he was saying back when Pre-patch Diddy was a thing that Shiek may possibly be better (and quite a few people agree that he was right, especially in the 3DS days), and never once even tried to imply that Shiek wasn't substantially better than the rest of the cast.
Nearly everyone who isn't a top tier main overrates their main. Does Robin have a lot of good tools? Yes. But the thing is, poor mobility coupled with attacks that aren't very safe are traits that a bad character has. You can mention that Robin has the Checkmate, a great combo game, powerful moves and decent projectiles, but the thing is, Robin plays like a heavyweight. Robin's projectiles don't do squat to help against hard zoning characters, they're very laggy, and Robin gets crushed by rushdown, especially characters with small frames.
The character could feasibly be mid-tier, but Robin's not any higher than that.
I see this same sort of thing in every character board I go to. If you think your character is amazing, I encourage you to go check out the boards of all the characters. Kirby mains think they go even with pre-patch Shiek. Some Bowsers thought they were mid-high tier before the buffs. Shulk mains are extremely optimistic as well and I've heard the Greninja boards are too.
The thing is, everyone in this game has good tools. Even Jiggs and Zelda and Palu and anyone else that's commonly considered bottom tier.
The real question is, who has the BEST tools? When you look at the answer, you'll realize that the tools a character like Robin has are eclipsed by the tools a character like Bayonetta or Ryu or ZSS or Rosa or (insert other top tier here) has.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Nearly everyone who isn't a top tier main overrates their main. Does Robin have a lot of good tools? Yes. But the thing is, poor mobility coupled with attacks that aren't very safe are traits that a bad character has. You can mention that Robin has the Checkmate, a great combo game, powerful moves and decent projectiles, but the thing is, Robin plays like a heavyweight. Robin's projectiles don't do squat to help against hard zoning characters, they're very laggy, and Robin gets crushed by rushdown, especially characters with small frames.
I see this same sort of thing in every character board I go to. If you think your character is amazing, I encourage you to go check out the boards of all the characters. Kirby mains think they go even with pre-patch Shiek. Some Bowsers thought they were mid-high tier before the buffs. Shulk mains are extremely optimistic as well and I've heard the Greninja boards are too.
The thing is, everyone in this game has good tools. Even Jiggs and Zelda and Palu and anyone else that's commonly considered bottom tier.
The real question is, who has the BEST tools? When you look at the answer, you'll realize that the tools a character like Robin has are eclipsed by the tools a character like Bayonetta or Ryu or ZSS or Rosa or (insert other top tier here) has.
While I can only speak so much for those other characters, there are traits Robin has that get overlooked constantly. For one, Robin actually has an effective midrange spacing game thanks to short hopped aerials (Levin fair and bair are functionally safe if spaced well, and everything but his dair can be used free of landing lag from a short hop!), Elthunder, Arcthunder, and the occasional Acfire against opponents with more linear approaches. He may struggle when someone gets in, but if you're not among the fastest and don't have a strong reflector, he makes you work to get in. Furthermore, while Robin can't turtle the way someone like Villager or Duck Hunt can, he doesn't necessarily need to when he can convert half his projectiles into a combo or juggle opportunity, and thanks to having average air speed and jump height (Something else that always gets overlooked!), can effectively use empty short hops and air dodges (Can even short hop and immediately air dodge without incurring landing lag!) to get around most projectile walls.

Combine that with high damage output and a plethora of kill options and ways to set them up, and you have a formula for a character who gets written off way too often because so many competitive players honestly do not know where Robin's strengths lie. He's not a bruiser, he doesn't need to rely on punishes just because he doesn't have rushdown frame data; he's a zoner with serviceable spacing and dangerous yet short-lasting traps who thrives on forcing opponents into situations that favor him, gaining the upper hand, and maintaining it as long as he can.

Last edited:

kiwirules99

Smash Rookie
Since when did ZeRo downplay Shiek? Heck, he was saying back when Pre-patch Diddy was a thing that Shiek may possibly be better (and quite a few people agree that he was right, especially in the 3DS days), and never once even tried to imply that Shiek wasn't substantially better than the rest of the cast.
No one was saying that Robin was an "amazing" character. I will agree that Robin has a lot of trouble against top tier characters, but, as you also said, Robin is a character that belongs in the mid-tier, so that's to be expected. The problem is that Robin is often considered a low tier character, because of his/her low speed and subpar frame data, but they overlook his/her actual benefits and focus on the negatives.

Laken64

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-0523-8094
Combine that with high damage output and a plethora of kill options and ways to set them up, and you have a formula for a character who gets written off way too often because so many competitive players honestly do not know where Robin's strengths lie. He's not a bruiser, he doesn't need to rely on punishes just because he doesn't have rushdown frame data; he's a zoner with serviceable spacing and dangerous yet short-lasting traps who thrives on forcing opponents into situations that favor him, gaining the upper hand, and maintaining it as long as he can.
And thats how Sakurai makes a character, not only true to its origins but gives it a unique niche in the metagame. While most characters reward you for your skill with the gamepad, Robin rewards you for your cunning and tactics you formulate by studying your opponent, a lost or two, then adjusting your plan to predict, read and crush your opponents before they even commit to something.

Typing this actually wants me to go back and full time main Robin (Sorry Corrin but I've made my choice!)

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Eh, I don't care if Robin isn't top tier; he'll always be mine main. Robin just feels natural to me. I've tried using top-tier characters like Sheik, Diddy, and Zero Suit, but they just don't feel right for me. Even mine secondary mains don't feel as natural to me as Robin. [Shrugs] Then again, I've been using Robin since the game came out, so I suppose it's just due to habit.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
No one was saying that Robin was an "amazing" character. I will agree that Robin has a lot of trouble against top tier characters, but, as you also said, Robin is a character that belongs in the mid-tier, so that's to be expected. The problem is that Robin is often considered a low tier character, because of his/her low speed and subpar frame data, but they overlook his/her actual benefits and focus on the negatives.
Pardon me for jumping the gun. I've just seen it so many times; there's a "golden area" for where people generally like to place these mid-low tier characters. This generally ends up being around 20th, or "high tier". I've seen it happen so much now I just expect it at this point, and more often than not I'm right on the mark.
I've yet to see someone undermine Robin's strengths, as they're very clear to see. The character is a tactician, through and through, with mid range zoning traps and a plethora of interesting tools which let the character deal with any situation that comes their way with a quick witted player. Robin gets a massive reward for setting up their "tactics" and plenty of tools to rack up damage and kill. To compensate, the character loses mobility and a good grab so the player has to be smart to access Robin's great tools.
People call the character low tier because it's highly possible that Robin is, in fact, low tier. I'd personally place Robin between 30th and 35th, and that's the bottom of mid tier/the top of low tier.

JWai

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKMNTrainerJBA
3DS FC
2079-9197-0430
Getting an Arcthunder to connect and missing the grab. I hate Robins ****ty grab.

Also messing up Arcfire into aerials. I'm either too far away or mistime it somehow.

Major trigger is playing on FD/Omega. I never play Robin on For Glory for that reason.

Jakkun

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4413-4635
Getting an Arcthunder to connect and missing the grab. I hate Robins ****ty grab.

Also messing up Arcfire into aerials. I'm either too far away or mistime it somehow.

Major trigger is playing on FD/Omega. I never play Robin on For Glory for that reason.
bouncing off of that...I have a very hard time connecting Arcthunder into Arcfire, or vice-versa. It just makes me facepalm whenever I miss that perfect opportunity.

Top Bottom