• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Like I want you to be town boom, because that means I would have been right about EoD 1, and being on Wam most of the game, but I just can't see it right now. I could be as you said blinded by my impending doom and the recent events. But even then I'm not feeling all to much urgency to get skip class to read the thread when I think we win anyway here.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Chaco gets called out that he shouldn't have a read on BoomFrog yet and his reaction is like "haha yeah I guess I'm not sure eh". It feels like he's trying to defuse the situation by agreeing with the criticism without actually addressing it. I can understand a light town read on Mala but I have no idea how you get to a read on Boom by this point, it's bonkers. Chaco in general seems a bit air-headed, empty. Like his question to me in RVS didn't seem to go anywhere it was just about making conversation.
This feels like tmi that Chaco's read on Boom is bad.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Will respond in detail to the queries when I'm home with a laptop. But @Chaco I also thought you were claiming a boom town read.
Would be weird for scum!Wam to follow up on Kary's line of pressure here, town indicative.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'm going to be quoting stronger things or things I want to talk about more, and keeping smaller things and less important notes in the bigger, spoiled notes dumps.

fontisian

Smash Champion
It's not like there were a bunch of people going after Wam right then either, so there's no need for Kary to bus.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I don't like Frozen's linking of Kary and DH, it doesn't even make sense. It's not a plausible scenario that they would really be coordinating like that so tightly early D1. And I don't like the backpedal on Somi. It seems like he's going out of his way to make sure he can have a scum read on anyone he needs to. I'm kinda shocked fontisian fontisian doesn't feel FF is slimy again.

I like Chaco's interaction with me, it felt townie. It feels like he really thinks he can town read me, which makes sense when he correctly town read me last game. And when called out on it and rationally considering it he realizes it's a bit fool hardy since he's never seen me play scum. But his instinct still tells him he can read me and he trusts his instincts.
I'ma vote Boom again soon.

fontisian

Smash Champion
You can tell how threatened scum were by Frozen's early read on DH/Kary by Kary calling it "the elephant in the room." They were all scrambling to get him onto something else, but ended up just highlighting Frozen's views more in the process.

Wam

Smash Ace
I'm going to be honest its bern a long day (7 hours driving). I'm struggling to see past a boom=scum read so if you have questions fire away.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Cough yah so weird people jumped onto FF for that cough

Part of why I'm not posting stuff from my quick skim of boom, his sus stuff I did too for some of them.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
**** it if you guys don't want to wait anymore, I'm not gonna hold this game hostage

mala if you think you've done all you can at this point in good faith I believe you, the more I'm reading kary the more comfortable I am just seeing if we can end here

I'll hammer if yall want me to, just ping me, still def down just to wait till tomorrow night to see malas flip minimally and then go from there

fontisian

Smash Champion
SO answers below to the questions i have been asked, I'm still getting used to a new forum so if I have missed any let me know.

I answered this earlier but for completeness on the questions. I had somehow missed Booms read of Gorf in there.

On chaco being defensive in response to

https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24081741 from @Chaco
and https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24081763 from Pythag Pythag

This post https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24081718 and this post https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24081722, both pinged me a defensive. The quote below stood out to me as a very weird thing for town Chaco to say.

In response to @somitomi https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24081788

Gorf/font it is the defensiveness when challenged along with the vote on me that came across as an OMGUS, I'm waiting for the answer from Font to the question I have repeated.

@#HBC | Kary https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24082025

Boom is neutral to me see below.

@LaserGuy Ordered list below

BoomFrog BoomFrog https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24082252

I don't know..... Phone post so sticky fingers?

Thoughts on a re read pages 4-7.

Boom seems to have backed laser then dropped it later.

Whats your reason then?

Repeating this with a tag fontisian fontisian

@font, when your up to speed do your reads match gorfs?

Then why is it still there given how scummy you find my play?

@Sabrar when the setup discussion was in a game as a miller surely that is to be expected?

Pythag Pythag https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24081834

I have called both!

Ordered List

Town - really struggled to order this section so don't read to much into the order
Somitomi - Enquries seem to be coming from a town mindset, questioning interrogating etc. Somi's play seems to have come on a lot from what I remember.
Malakandra - stayed very calm under early pressure.
LaserGuy - as explained I like the thinking.
Sabrar - Feels like town Sabrar but it's hard to call him town if he gets through Day 1 without voting for me.
Dark Horse - I like the mindset behind the questions just a bit suspicious that they don't have many of their opinions out there.
Pythag - pretty much identical read to Dark horse

Neutral
Boomfrog - I can never read Boom, especially day 1.
Synchronicity (Xivii and Bessie Hydra) - Not enough content to call.
Frozen Flame - not seen enough to make a judgement

Scum
Kary - I don't like putting me and Gorf at the bottom of the reads list without as far as I can see mentioning us before https://smashboards.com/threads/thi...day-the-11th-at-5-pm-cst.507224/post-24082071
Chaco - Explained above
Fontisian (Replacement for Gorf) - Explained responses to pressure Day 1 seemed to be defensive. I also haven't seen anything fron Font to change my mind yet.

Off topic, until I started looking on my computer I didn't realise how good Sync's avatar was!
I want to talk about this first. The bolded is super weird, yeah, because Kary's scumreads were:
Chaco
Gorf (fonti)
Wam

Basically, the exact same as Wam's, if you take Wam out and throw Kary in, but Wam still said he disliked Kary for them. Doesn't feel like a town mindset, where you generally like someone being suspicious of the same people as you, feels more like a scum mindset where Wam knows he should be scumreading Kary so he makes up a reason.

Wam

Smash Ace
It came across to me as kary randomly plucking some easy scum reads out of the air rather than developing them.

fontisian

Smash Champion
It came across to me as kary randomly plucking some easy scum reads out of the air rather than developing them.
Ok. If they were easy for Kary to make, why weren't you also just making easy reads?

Wam

Smash Ace
Ok. If they were easy for Kary to make, why weren't you also just making easy reads?
It wasnt the reads I was questioning it was the process if getting there. Seems weird to me to put two people at the bottom of a reads list you hadnt mentioned.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Meh, we still win either way. If you or Pythag Pythag have any doubt about yeeting wam tomorrow tell me now. If you guys waver I'm going to be flipping tables over in spectator chat.
at the risk of giving the game away in the event this is a turbo snow scenario, if I'm being honest with myself I cant see any universe where I vote pythag or fonti out in final 3 over wam

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'm still rolling through things, but I want to be the person who holds things up and makes the game less fun for you guys.

fontisian

Smash Champion
bruh

I think Pythag is not a great communicator as either alignment and so yes reading literally he is somewhat contradicting himself in putting you as "scummy but not scummy", but I don't consider him garbling his words to be scummy.

When I say his points against you seem fine, I'm not saying I agree with them or I think he has a good point;
just I can believe that Pythag thinks that and the points he was making didn't ping me as scummy.
Pythag town, etc.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm still rolling through things, but I want to be the person who holds things up and makes the game less fun for you guys.
making me delay gratification and not just chase another HBC dopamine hit is the high road I need someone to keep me on rn

Lets hope we dont get there then.
well thats ****ing ominous, try harder to convince me maybe instead of continuing to coast ad infinitem?

thought mala said you were being all chill and cool with flipping in the neighborhood? Malakandra Malakandra what do you make of this?

Why are you going boom over wam anyway right now?
so far in my kary ISO, boom looks way worse than kary just based on karys reads and interactions with the slots, still not done yet though so admittedly I'm experiencing recency bias in the sense that I've just reread the early game since I do ISOs chronologically

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Sorry im out, helping my grandpa with something. I believe I've done all I can with the time, and we are right on Boom. I know people want me to do more, but I just think we are right here.

FF I mean yah of course he doesn't want to be in that situation because he knows he's town, but he was chill knowing he was in the PoE and that if we yeeted him first boom would go next.

fontisian

Smash Champion
These to me suggest you know what you're doing.

This to me reads like amateur hour. These questions seem naive and mostly useless, the vote is somewhere between naked omgus and a pet peeve.

I know the consensus is you get killed D1 regardless of alignment but my takeaway from this is you're acting new, and trying to fit in.
And then following it up by trying to yeet them. There's no way, it's just Boom.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Vote: Chaco

Doing a post-by-post only to swerve and disagree with your own analysis is bad enough the first time.
You're trying SO hard to save yourself while also avoiding Wam for wishy-washy reasons. It seems to good to be true if you're both buddies but this is just comically bad from you at this stage Chaco, and it is increasingly obvious that you've had a cautious, scared, self-interested scum mindset all game.
Mrhhh.

Ok, maybe not. That's a weird ass pivot that seems to be based on the idea Wam is going to flip scum.

Wam

Smash Ace
making me delay gratification and not just chase another HBC dopamine hit is the high road I need someone to keep me on rn

well thats ****ing ominous, try harder to convince me maybe instead of continuing to coast ad infinitem?

thought mala said you were being all chill and cool with flipping in the neighborhood? Malakandra Malakandra what do you make of this?

so far in my kary ISO, boom looks way worse than kary just based on karys reads and interactions with the slots, still not done yet though so admittedly I'm experiencing recency bias in the sense that I've just reread the early game since I do ISOs chronologically
As mentioned I'm a bit brain dead today so if needed I will dig into stuff tomorrow. But if boom was town and I was scum do you think I would be coasting today?

fontisian

Smash Champion
This may come as news but I don't read a game very closely when I already know everyone's alignments. I would say frozen in completely vanilla was super confident in things, he had a clear agenda, and his activity came in short bursts. I don't see any of those things here.

Why don't you spell out the similarities that you think are scummy? Because so far you've said "he's forgotten how to play town" which means nothing, and then echoed the problems I had in 227 in your 266.
This bit?

I mean, it probably is wolf/wolf, but I'm just thinking that because I already think it's true, you know.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Since LG made his case on you, you spent a long time being angry and frustrated and talking about nothing but yourself. Now you're doing post-by-post to presumably show your thought process, but it feels like your thoughts are just shoe-horned in at the end; which makes the exercise feel fake.

You find many reasons to dislike Wam but your conclusion is "you want to believe" that they're not mafia?

The fact that they're phone-posting doesn't explain behavior like sheeping or the OMGUS vote. It might explain thinking Pythag and DH are similar, but you're just giving the benefit of the doubt for no reason- and explicitly asking other people if it's okay if you can give them a pass.

this just feels fake, like you want to remind everyone you're town.

I'm saying I have a problem with Wam and I want Wam to answer it.
You seem to have decided against the evidence that they're probably just fine, but you are happy to change your mind if other people disagree.

Of course you would say you are town for avoiding the very lowest hanging fruit- that's why I think you are scummy for doing it. If you're scum, pushing Wam doesn't solve the problem of your slot looking sketchy, except maybe if you can bus him convincingly.

I had a feeling he could be leaning into being new and unfamiliar, and that he can get away with it because people generally misread him or find him scummy regardless of what he does. Maybe you are right and he is just potato town, but even then, I don't feel like you came to that conclusion naturally.

Would you vote for Wam Day 1 or not?
Man, how did I not catch this **** Day 1.

I don't even know what to make of it now. Like, it feels like it's conceding that Wam is just town and Chaco got there correctly, but attacking Chaco for being correct is really strange.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Whatever, Kary's probably just town.

Kary, if your main issue with Chaco is him defending Wam or avoiding voting Wam, then what you actually have here is a Wam scumread to figure out.
Ok, I did catch it Day 1, I just did realize that Kary was scum for it because I'm an idiot.

Top Bottom