• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Reposting vote count for new page, plus a fix:

Chaco (4): Kary, LaserGuy, Wam, Somitomi
FrozenFlame (4): BoomFrog, Sabrar, Malakandra, Dark Horse
Wam (1): FrozenFlame,
Kary (1): Synchronicity
Somitomi(1): Chaco
Laserguy(1): Fontisian

Not Voting (1): Pythag

With 13 Alive, it takes 7 to reach majority.
Day Ends at 5 PM CST on Friday the 11th, a little under 4.5 hrs from this post! Live Countdown to EOD1

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Idk, this game feels really bad, just a ton of town v town fighting and people being unwilling to listen to each other. Frozen and Kary with Chaco, Dark Horse and Sabrar with Frozen, and now Syn with Kary. Everyone's direction is split, and I don't particularly agree with any of them.
Let's say all of this is TvT as you say. I don't know why you're so sure about it but ok. Obv from your pov you're T as well. You don't really want to vote wam.
That leaves {LaserGuy, Pythag, BoomFrog, somitomi and Malakandra.
Who is most likely scum from this group? Pick 2.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
somitomi somitomi what do you think of the Kary case above? And also may we have a shotgun readlist?
I think there are some good points in regarding Kary banging the "wooo, Synchro so mysterious oooh" drum or their progression on Frozen and Chaco. But there are also inaccuracies I wouldn't expect from whichever side of your brain woofs, like claiming Frozen didn't even post between #125 and #256.
This is such a backward and forced conclusion. Chaco voting somi despite ending with an overall town score is incredibly townie as it shows that he wasn't just manipulating his point system to fit his read. This is such a superficial scum read.
This in particular invites the question I've been asking for a while now: what does the score reflect and what purpose does it serve?
I don’t even know how it could be suggested that Laser v Me is SvS. There’s like literally no way at all.

Nice OMGUS somitomi somitomi , guarantee you wouldn’t do that if you didn’t have traction cause you feel comfortable to push for me rn.. Question: Are you read up on the game as of right now? Why I asked about Wam is spelled out. I even answered it to Sync. It’s hard to decipher because I was trying to make it a thing that wasn’t broadcasted. Let’s completely dumb it down for you. I was asking if Wam was dumb, and the errors and such weren’t mistakes by genuine shortcomings. So everyone is suss on my wagon, yet you still vote me? Your whole basis is illogical. You put everyone who jumped in my wagon as low and scumreads as well, like what kind of excuse for scumhunting is that.
Bit bold of you to "guarantee" what I would or wouldn't do based on a single game. Care for a glass of fine wine?
Anyway, I never suggested that Laser and you were both scum, that would be pretty absurd. My impresson was (and still is) that there has to be some scum involved in this kerfuffle. Yes, the bottom of my list can't all be scum at the same time, but I don't really consider that on D1, I just look at people individually. Nobody's alignment is known at this point so I'm not going to dismiss a suspect just because they're not compatible with other suspects. My townreads being on the other wagon is making me second-guess myself for what it's worth.
As for the spelling thing, I wasn't entirely caught up, so I didn't see that post to Synchro before hitting "post" on the reads. I see what you were trying to get at now (although in my opinion it's a bit big of a logical leap to make from typos). And I understand you're frustrated, but I don't appreciate the condescending tone.

Wam

Smash Ace
I think I'm going to end up on Wam for lack of better options. I don't have a real scumread on him, beyond a feeling that most of his interogation of me was more about figuring whether I intended to continue Gorf's case against him than an actual attempt to figure out my aligned. And, as rude as it is to say, I'd rather yeet town!Wam than town!Frozen or Chavo.

Idk, this game feels really bad, just a ton of town v town fighting and people being unwilling to listen to each other. Frozen and Kary with Chaco, Dark Horse and Sabrar with Frozen, and now Syn with Kary. Everyone's direction is split, and I don't particularly agree with any of them.

Syn could have a point about me reading Frozen off of him being so different and (as Laser said) looser than Midnight Ops, so I'm look into that before I decide if I'm commiting to defending him. I'm not willing to compromise on Chaco, and will be voting to defend him if I have to.
Is this too blatant a font chaco link. I'm going back on fourth if this is a blatant push to save a buddy. Or even a blatant push to look good if chaco flips town.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Let's say all of this is TvT as you say. I don't know why you're so sure about it but ok. Obv from your pov you're T as well. You don't really want to vote wam.
Laser, Somi.

Pythag the most likely town in that grouping. Boom could be scum, especially if Laser isn't. Mala could also be straddling the line between reasonable and agenda pushing with his treatment of Frozen, but I think that's actually only likely if I'm wrong on Chaco, because that gives his push an actual motivation, and his push times well with mounting pressure on Chaco.

Potentially one remaining scum in you or Dark Horse, since you both occupy this space of being content with the status quo.

fontisian

Smash Champion
And I'm not certain. I'm thinking about Scum!Frozen and its implications (Mala town, 0-1 scum in you, Dark Horse, Boomfrog, Kary potentially scum, Laser still likely scum)

fontisian

Smash Champion
Sorry for the multiple posting, but to be clear, I'm not opposed to voting Wam, obviously, I just feel they occupy the space of perennial misyeet and yeeting there and /not/ hitting scum would be terrible for the gamestate, because we'd enter the next Day with the same divisions.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I think there are some good points in regarding Kary banging the "wooo, Synchro so mysterious oooh" drum or their progression on Frozen and Chaco. But there are also inaccuracies I wouldn't expect from whichever side of your brain woofs, like claiming Frozen didn't even post between #125 and #256.

This in particular invites the question I've been asking for a while now: what does the score reflect and what purpose does it serve?

Bit bold of you to "guarantee" what I would or wouldn't do based on a single game. Care for a glass of fine wine?
Anyway, I never suggested that Laser and you were both scum, that would be pretty absurd. My impresson was (and still is) that there has to be some scum involved in this kerfuffle. Yes, the bottom of my list can't all be scum at the same time, but I don't really consider that on D1, I just look at people individually. Nobody's alignment is known at this point so I'm not going to dismiss a suspect just because they're not compatible with other suspects. My townreads being on the other wagon is making me second-guess myself for what it's worth.
As for the spelling thing, I wasn't entirely caught up, so I didn't see that post to Synchro before hitting "post" on the reads. I see what you were trying to get at now (although in my opinion it's a bit big of a logical leap to make from typos). And I understand you're frustrated, but I don't appreciate the condescending tone.
Not trying to be condescending, but you have to understand it is frustrating to be trying to protect someone’s feelings while gathering meta on them to see if it follows that track. Misspelling and poor structure definitely goes hand in hand with what I was thinking. I just didn’t want to be blatant and say hey, is Wam just all over the place or are they not the brightest crayon in the box. See why I would try to disguise that some? It’s pretty rude to ask, but it’s something that I feel is necessary to know. I don’t know if you’ve ever had people jump in games of that nature, but I can sure you that it is difficult to deal with, and that was even on first appearance of them. But someone who is established it makes it all the more difficult to figure out, because they could’ve continued to play even though it wasn’t necessarily fitting, you feel me? We’ve had some flat out odd players throughout DGames so I didn’t expect any less of XKCD. Especially when seeing at how Laser answered and such, it kind’ve supported the idea more until Bessie said flat out otherwise.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame Why did I not make it into your scum list?
I mean you almost did, you're the bottom of the null pile right on the line to the "can go" pile. kind of like what fonti said in her most recent post, I think it hurts the town more in the long run to misyeet town!boom than the 3 in my can go pile if you happen to be town

OK but why was that even a thought in the first place??? His play isn't even different. It's weird that you would make that conclusion so early in the first place.
you're treating this early read like I'm going to abide by it like gospel for the whole ****ing game, it was an early gut read that I expressed based on what I saw at that point. Ultimately I think you're right, somi's play since then has largely been closer to what I saw from him in vanilla and my town lean is quickly fading here

The thing is, as Mala has pointed out, there was no reason to even bring this up. Why bring it up if you didn't think it was of value at the time. This is something you keep in your private notes for later, but you made this giant assessment of it. It's filler content. And the idea that scum play in a coordinated manner like that is absurd. The Right brain is having a really hard time getting over how scummy this is.
ok you can literally **** off forever trying to condescendingly coach me about what townies ought to "keep in their private notes for later" and what they should express in thread when it comes to mind. seriously **** off forever with this absolute horse**** and never ****ing ever tell me how to play townie ever ****ing again. I resent this **** so ****ing much. What if I was NK'd N1? Then I'd NEVER get a chance to make the point and place the flag in the sand! It was not ****ing filler content, it was a genuine observation that jump out as strange to me. You don't get to tell people what's "proper" to keep private at what stages in the game and what's appropriate to express publicly to get feedback on. You are so shamelessly projecting your own personal strategies and values as mafia startegy gospel in this it hurts

That doesn't explain why you asked though. Seriously, what were the chances that he was a doublevoter. And if you thought that was a possibility, why not simply wait for the vote count. This questioning is filler.
I literally didn't want to wait. Why wait when the slot can just as well answer the question? What benefit is there to town casting ambiguous votes where it is unclear what you were actually intending to do?

He believed in his posts in Midnight too. Also, you should take a look at Completely Vanilla. I feel like town!you is being thrown off by the deliberate change in playstyle from Midnight in the same way that Chaco, Xivii, and Boom were thrown off in Completely Vanilla. Frozen played completely differently from Midnight and it ended up blindsiding us. It seems to me that his play here is a carry over from that. Being scum a third time he now has to play differently than Midnight and Completely Vanilla, and he's having a hard time finding an approach. Chaco Chaco I'd also like your view on this.
you realize all of this can also be explained by me actually rolling town this time right? Or are you being deliberately dense?

OK how does saying you'll switch back add pressure? This doesn't actually make sense.
If I said to chaco my vote was staying on him regardless of his response to my question, then it takes the gravity out of his response, and actually gives him a clear out to just not even respond knowing that it will be futile to do so. I wanted there to be an actual carrot

Really, 0% huh.
I'm obviously being hyperbolic but seriously, you think FONTI of all the slots in this game would try to pocket me? Why? She had me dead to rights in midnight ops. There's no ****ing way fonti is afraid of town!me if she's scum because she already knows she can convince people to yeet me if she wants. I pose no threat to scum!fonti. In fact, scum!fonti probably thinks I'm a free ****in misyeet. Also I'm pretty sure fonti just doesn't like me as a player generally and she's entitled to that opinion, I get it, my playstyle isn't for everyone, but yeah there's no real possibility in my mind that scum!Fonti puts even an iota of effort into pocketing me when her time is probably much better spent in such a scenario pocketing XKCD power players

I think this has run its course. I asked the mod obviously.

PoE says scum-team is {Kary, FrozenFlame, wam}. Good game, go next.
this is the worst scum team pitch I've seen in a long time, like what? Kary and I have both attacked each other this phase without any push from other slots, I've said Wam can and am still voting for the slot, like dude what? Why would scum try to buss each other early like this for no ****ing reason?

Synchronicity claiming mason???????????? 😱

Has FF really not responded by chainsawing me yet? Or is my reception in this tunnel just so bad that I haven't seen it?
is comment re: synchro a joke or did you legitimately not know synchro is a bessie/xivii hydra?

your case against me is so blatantly sheepy and bad it does not warrant a response

I think I'm going to end up on Wam for lack of better options. I don't have a real scumread on him, beyond a feeling that most of his interogation of me was more about figuring whether I intended to continue Gorf's case against him than an actual attempt to figure out my aligned. And, as rude as it is to say, I'd rather yeet town!Wam than town!Frozen or Chavo.

Syn could have a point about me reading Frozen off of him being so different and (as Laser said) looser than Midnight Ops, so I'm look into that before I decide if I'm commiting to defending him. I'm not willing to compromise on Chaco, and will be voting to defend him if I have to.
I cosign this entire post, most accurate take on the gamestate I've seen all game. Fonti so ****ing obvtown I'm going to legitimately sheep this slot at this point

Wam

Smash Ace
Not trying to be condescending, but you have to understand it is frustrating to be trying to protect someone’s feelings while gathering meta on them to see if it follows that track. Misspelling and poor structure definitely goes hand in hand with what I was thinking. I just didn’t want to be blatant and say hey, is Wam just all over the place or are they not the brightest crayon in the box. See why I would try to disguise that some? It’s pretty rude to ask, but it’s something that I feel is necessary to know. I don’t know if you’ve ever had people jump in games of that nature, but I can sure you that it is difficult to deal with, and that was even on first appearance of them. But someone who is established it makes it all the more difficult to figure out, because they could’ve continued to play even though it wasn’t necessarily fitting, you feel me? We’ve had some flat out odd players throughout DGames so I didn’t expect any less of XKCD. Especially when seeing at how Laser answered and such, it kind’ve supported the idea more until Bessie said flat out otherwise.
I appreciate the attempt just be blunt though!
I would point out I think i get better as the game goes on. Others may disagree.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
dark horse's vote on my is by far the most confusing

based on the most recent content sabrar drops from townie to null/scum lean, boom can probably go as well, somi drops to null, chaco looks better and I no longer want to yeet him today, Kary looks more town, mala can 100% go, pythag looks much townier

Chaco

Never Logs In
I disagree with Wam as a lynch target toDay. It’s not enough to go on into D2. We do need a narrowed PoE because I do not see any clear track right now. I stand behind Somi, I see no reason for anyone to be positively town reading them from what they’ve produced. But all the same, their lynch leaves minimal information. We literally have a case on Laser, Kary, Frozen, Wam, Somi, myself, and some flak aimed townwards Synchro.

I think a it of the head butting is TvT here.I knew going into this game that no one would be able to wolf it because there’s no room for it, it’s evident from all the players butting heads.

Ultimately I still suggest Somi though. Who here actually has a town read on Somi?

Malakandra

Smash Lord
I've asked him this already, and he answered. It should be right after the second point list he made.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Chaco (4): Kary, LaserGuy, Wam, Somitomi
FrozenFlame (4): BoomFrog, Sabrar, Malakandra, Dark Horse
Wam (1): FrozenFlame,
Kary (1): Synchronicity
Somitomi(1): Chaco
Laserguy(1): Fontisian

Not Voting (1): Pythag
this is the worst scum team pitch I've seen in a long time, like what? Kary and I have both attacked each other this phase without any push from other slots, I've said Wam can and am still voting for the slot, like dude what? Why would scum try to buss each other early like this for no ****ing reason?
It's not a bus unless you actually lynch your buddy.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vote: Frozenflame

Was hoping to hear more from him but idk if I’ll be around for EoD so we move.

Willing to take fonti out of my lynch pool for now so currently I’d go frozen, Somi, Wam in that order
bro in what universe am I a better yeet than wam or somi? What is the basis for this arbitrary order? Feels TMI honestly

Sabrar

Smash Ace
Some people are very much against a wam lynch. If wam flips scum that's very telling. If as you say nobody defends somi then in what world will that lynch give you more info?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's not a bus unless you actually lynch your buddy.
don't be dense, this game is all about momentum. you don't get momentum for a yeet without initiating the attack. why draw so much attention to your buddies' slots so early? the distance credit you would get, if any at all, is minimal compared to the risk of accidentally spearheading your own mate when you never actually wanted it to get that far

the bus may not be "complete" until the hammer drops, but "bussing" incorporates a far broader strategy than merely being on the wagon that yeets your partner

Malakandra

Smash Lord
somitomi somitomi
Positives, negatives and nulls reach an overall positive or negative score Indicative of either alignment.. Which shows my thoughts in their slot. Conclusions summarizes what I gather from those points. Like Wam, negative in score but it waiting for feedback regarding his slot before I pursue anything further there.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
lmao imagine thinking I was trying to distance/bus chaco when all my early comment re: "equality" has done is gotten like four ****ing slots tunneling me and caused me to look like a tunneling tool myself pushing hard for chaco and having the rest of the game laugh at me for it, like holy **** I'm no wolf god but that's just throwing the game for my mates at that point

Chaco

Never Logs In
Some people are very much against a wam lynch. If wam flips scum that's very telling. If as you say nobody defends somi then in what world will that lynch give you more info?
You’re right it is telling, but he’s basically zero interactions with a lot of slots, and basically mirrors Laser reads and that leaves us with minimal stuff to work with.

Regarding Somi, I don’t think half of the players in this game have even ever addressed Somi or mentioned their name more than once. Thatd a sign to me in itself, it’s not people against a Somi Lynch or for it, it’s just completely not talked about it which I find extremely odd. No one has been prodding Somi for more really and just let’s them skate. That’s why they are more appealing to me than Wam. You move on Somi people HAVE TO address that slot finally

Malakandra

Smash Lord
but he’s basically zero interactions with a lot of slots, and basically mirrors Laser reads and that leaves us with minimal stuff to work with.
I don’t think half of the players in this game have even ever addressed Somi or mentioned their name more than once
That’s why they are more appealing to me than Wam
So you don't like that Wam stuff has little info and gives no info, but you say the same is true for Somi but want that?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not dense, I just have a different view compared to yours.
fine if not being deliberately dense then you're being myopic

the bus may not be "complete" until the hammer drops, but "bussing" incorporates a far broader strategy than merely being on the wagon that yeets your partner
^ this is not a subjective take, and is not something you can have a "view" on. reducing "bussing" to mean only "lynching your partner" is unhelpful and reductive

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Also sorry if I dip or short stuff, in chem class, then gonna be driving for a bit. Should be on at EoD

Sabrar

Smash Ace
fine if not being deliberately dense then you're being myopic
I do wear glasses for myopia, how did you know?

^ this is not a subjective take, and is not something you can have a "view" on. reducing "bussing" to mean only "lynching your partner" is unhelpful and reductive
Nope, anything is open to interpretation. I know my stance on this is not the most popular one but scum is entirely capable on attacking each other without the intention to lynch.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nope, anything is open to interpretation. I know my stance on this is not the most popular one but scum is entirely capable on attacking each other without the intention to lynch.
"The speed of light in vacuum, commonly denoted c, is a universal physical constant important in many areas of physics. Its exact value is defined as 299792458 metres per second." Is this open to interpretation too?

me being an asshole aside, you're missing the point. By attacking wam and kary early in D1, I am absolutely increasing the probability of a strong wagon forming on them by bringing attention to their slot. I agree that scummates can and do absolutely attack one another without the intention to actually get one another yeeted, but my point is that there is a RISK to doing that. The risk of headlining attacks against your mates is that your attacks might actually cause real momentum to form there and then you get punished by losing a mate or looking extremely ****ing suspicious if you try to turn the wagon around when it starts getting strong. The reward for taking that risk is that people will generally give you town cred for spearheading scum yeets. Of course this is all subject to people doing analysis of this very same risk/reward calculus but the point is me going after both mates as youre scum team would imply is a completely ridiculous risk/reward assessment from scum!frozen POV. I'm literally risking unmasking my entire team if it backfires, for what, getting some tentative distancing credit down the line? Like if you think I suck at mafia fine but this is just an insulting low opinion of my ability to calculate risk as scum

Chaco

Never Logs In
So you don't like that Wam stuff has little info and gives no info, but you say the same is true for Somi but want that?
Wam has been talked about and Somi has not, why do you think that is? How does a slot slip under the radar entirely even when j bring up scummy stuff against them. The response I get? It goes against your points system. Does that not bother anyone else?

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wagoning to force people to address that slot is different from wagoning to lynch. Your motive was the latter previously.
Well it’s deadline, so it is wagoning to Lynch. Look at what I just addressed at Mala. And differences between Wam and Somi is I legitimately saw some trying to solve from Wam when he made that jumbled wall about me. Somi I have not seen anything of the such, I mean the reads list he provided is entirely unsupported. And the appeal to towniness at the beginning of the game is so gross.

Chaco

Never Logs In
As I said earlier I’ll be in and out. I’m eating a late lunch rn so I’m here for the moment.

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
I didn't mean towards Wam, I understand why you wouldn't want to be blunt there, but some of your responses to me had remarks like "let me spell it out" or "dumb it down".
I've asked him this already, and he answered. It should be right after the second point list he made.
I've seen that, but it claims the score if indicative of what Chaco thinks of a player's alignment, which is evidently not the case, so no, that question still hasn't been answered properly.
You’re right it is telling, but he’s basically zero interactions with a lot of slots, and basically mirrors Laser reads and that leaves us with minimal stuff to work with.

Regarding Somi, I don’t think half of the players in this game have even ever addressed Somi or mentioned their name more than once. Thatd a sign to me in itself, it’s not people against a Somi Lynch or for it, it’s just completely not talked about it which I find extremely odd. No one has been prodding Somi for more really and just let’s them skate. That’s why they are more appealing to me than Wam. You move on Somi people HAVE TO address that slot finally
I know this is wine at this point, but the XKCD-people are familiar with me to some extent, so perhaps them not prodding me is indication that this is consistent with my town play.

Top Bottom