• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

They really got lazy with the trophies this time around

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Seriously.
In melee, pretty much every trophy, besides the adventure/all star trophies, were built entirely from scratch. So you had many pieces of nintendo memorabilia, old and new, got to see characters you never heard of before, and saw old characters you remember in beautiful 3d.

In brawl, that isn't the case.

Instead of actually putting effort into the trophies this time, they decided to take the cheap way out; almost every trophy in brawl are RECYCLED from past 3d models. Whats even worse is that if you never had a 3d game, then guess what? You a'int gettin' any trophy! So as a result, we only have LoZ trophies from WW and TP, and no trophies from ALttP, or any of the 2d zelda games. Heck, even Oot, or any N64 game, don't have any trophy representation.
It's pretty easy to see where every trophy was recylced from; almost all of the Pokemon trophies are recycled from Pokemon Colosseum/XD, star fox from assault/command, Kirby from Air Ride and that upcoming Wii kirby game, heck, we only have fire emblem trophies from PoR/RD, instead of the good, 2d fire emblem games, which really blows, since FE has a LARGE cast of characters that I would love to see in 3d. And heck, look at mother! the Mother series has NO 3d games, besides that canceled n64 game, so they REALLY got screwed over in the trophy department.
And don't even get me started on the "Other" set of trophies. Virtually all of the misc characters are either recent characters, who had 3d models, or ATs. So there's pretty much little to no "Whoa! Where are those guys from!? They look cool!" feel you got from seeing Donbe and Hikari, Mach Rider, Ayumi Taichibana, Maruho, or Ray MK II. Pretty much every Misc trophy are from recent games, that you've already heard of, sans Ouendan for some casual people.

Really, the only non-recycled trophies are Ouendan, the EBA, Ashely robbins, Stapy, and those things from Magical starsign, but even they already had 3d models to build apon.

It probably is a small thing to complain about, but it truely is a disappointment that the trophies are so limited this time around, ESPECIALLY since we have that super-special-awesome diorama mode. I may be the minority, but I'm sure other people have to agree with me here.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I agree whole heartedly! Melee's trophies compelled me to go explore the more obscure games and fall in love with them. Poor Link's Uncle didn't get his ever so deserving character roster spot, and he didn't even get a trophy!

Rodriguezjr

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai had said something about this in Ask Iwata. Instead of wasting all that time making some character models from scratch. He gotten permission from some Nintendo departments to use those 3D character models so he wouldn't had to waste that much time and concentrate on the other aspects of the game.

Kietharr

Smash Cadet
They needed to free up the time spent to make trophies so they could put tripping in and remove significant hitstun.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Sakurai had said something about this in Ask Iwata. Instead of wasting all that time making some character models from scratch. He gotten permission from some Nintendo departments to use those 3D character models so he wouldn't had to waste that much time and concentrate on the other aspects of the game.
Like the Coin Launcher and Masterpieces andSSE! :bee:

:(

MRogue

Smash Rookie
Have you seen any of the All Star Mode trophies? I think those make up for any sort of lack of creativity, but I guess that's just me.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
There is over 500 trophies in brawl. Now, a single model can take days to complete (modeling, texturing ect). Those people have to get payed so I don't want to hear people saying 'they should have hired more 3d artists'
In the end it's a lot easier, cheaper and faster to recycle models. Besides, would you rather have the dev team focus on making all those trophies perfect, or would you rather them focus on SSE, gameplay, internet gameplay ect...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
A majority of the trophies are just content that's already in the game (Brawl). I'd love to have more obscure trophies from all over the place like Melee did, but what we got is good. Besides, Brawl is too big an entity to harp only on trophy variety (a game with over 500 trophies).

TICO

Smash Cadet
wow, congradulations on complaining about something that doesn't even matter, what do you sit at home and scan through your trophies all day?
and have you seen the final smash trophies? they are...hmm pretty dang original

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
The only thing I was disappointed by were the Pokemon stickers...I mean c'mon, they're all in game graphics with just "Pokemon Series" as the original source. They could've used all the old images from the Nintendo Power players guides...heck even in game sprites from the GB games, but instead the decided to go with the same image of Pika/PT/Lucario/Jiggly that they used for the Dojo (and their trophies, same with Pokeball Pokemon)...I dunno...just something I noticed...

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
Lol brawl was a let down in so many ways, and i don't mean the its not competitive or any of that crap.

but the production values just aren't there, SSE was terrible, and the time it wasted in development could have either a) scored us the game much sooner. or B) scored us more characters. for a mode thats hardly even memorable, its a complete waste. and coin launcher is just an exercise in tedium. not to mention the elimination of unique target test levels, and the reduction of event matches, and the lack of originality or creativity with regards to those event matches. ultimately someone was a **** with poor priorities when developing the game. and well the games still great, but a large focus on single player in a game that is and has always been almost completely multiplayer centric is ********.

Pewgs

Smash Rookie
Wow. Let's find reasons to hate Brawl. Seriously, who cares about the trophies. And yes, I do realize I sound like a douche.

diabetic_yoshi

Smash Apprentice
I kinda am mixed here. It's neat to see all those characters, new to you or old favorites. My real gripe though is the descriptions on the trophies. This time around they sounded like they wikapediad their own characters when describing them. In fact, some were downright wrong. (i'm looking at you, K . Rool)

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Wow. Let's find reasons to hate Brawl. Seriously, who cares about the trophies. And yes, I do realize I sound like a douche.
You don't sound like a douche at all, I love Brawl and get sick of the "OMG HATE BRAWL!" topics too, I can just see where the OP is coming from especially because two of my mains (Marth and Ness) had their series' totally ripped off when it comes to trophies.

To above poster, apparently in Japan K. Rool and Kaptain K. Rool actually ARE brothers...of course this doesn't apply in the American continuity of the series so...I don't know why they didn't edit it...

whoady4shoady

Smash Apprentice
I was just talking to a friend of mine the other day, and he said the same thing, but I dont really care or notice as much since I didnt have melee.

D

Deleted member

Seriously.

Instead of actually putting effort into the trophies this time, they decided to take the cheap way out; almost every trophy in brawl are RECYCLED from past 3d models. Whats even worse is that if you never had a 3d game, then guess what? You a'int gettin' any trophy! So as a result, we only have LoZ trophies from WW and TP, and no trophies from ALttP, or any of the 2d zelda games. Heck, even Oot, or any N64 game, don't have any trophy representation.

It's pretty easy to see where every trophy was recylced from; almost all of the Pokemon trophies are recycled from Pokemon Colosseum/XD, star fox from assault/command, Kirby from Air Ride and that upcoming Wii kirby game, heck, we only have fire emblem trophies from PoR/RD, instead of the good, 2d fire emblem games, which really blows, since FE has a LARGE cast of characters that I would love to see in 3d. And heck, look at mother! the Mother series has NO 3d games, besides that canceled n64 game, so they REALLY got screwed over in the trophy department.
Agreed.

Sakurai really seems to have skimped on the trophies. Surely someone like Ephraim or Eliwood would get a trophy?

I agree that if you weren't 3D, you get nothing. Vaati, or any of the fairly original characters from Oracle of Ages/Seasons, were not even mentioned AS STICKERS. Even the Hunters' trophies are just clone copies of their official art.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
I agree 100% on everthing you said, and even the Oueden trophy is based off a picture (go on Wikipedia, and you will see that picture)

The stickers are even worse, they are all just well-known pictures put on a white background. I was serious a month or two ago when I posted it probably takes 15 minute tro make a sticker, maybe even less.

Although there are a massive amount of trophies and stickers, I hope they take so time to make new, better ones next time around.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
No use wasting space with the trophies that already appeared in Melee. Of course, Birdo gets her 3D model in Brawl, which was not seen in Melee. However, Lakitu was in 3D form in Melee, but shown in 8-bit form in Brawl.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
id rather them make SSE like 5 hours shorter and include 3-4 more characters...
I take it you don't know how a video game is made? The team that designs and programs IS NOT the team who designed SSE. If SSE were shorter, there wouldn't be any more characters. If there were fewer characters, SSE wouldn't be longer. Why do so many people think they have any coorelation?

_Slick_

Smash Ace
Seriously, do you sit at home everyday and think of things to complain about?

The trophies are probably wants holding back other content!

Also, SSE was good. I can't see how it wasn't. Nintendo were smart. Dialogue usually ruins characters remember.

cdilink

Smash Apprentice
I don't like trophy collection this time too. A quote from an old thread I made...

So I've seen it. Over 600 trophies is of course a big number. But does anyone feel like it's... kinda unfinished? I mean, there is Striker Mario, Striker Daisy... But why Daisy? Where's Luigi, Peach etc.? Warioware got only like 3 trophies... There are no important Zelda trophies, like the Goddesesses... Also, this time each character gets only two trophies instead of 3. There are no "classic" looking trophies (like non-realistic Mario model). This time also we get only few trophies from franchises other than reps. Does anyone feels the same way?
I hate that there are no "Classic" trophies. There were ones in Melee. If they like recycling so much, they could use Mario's, Luigi's, Peach's, Bowser's models from Galaxy. For Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf they could use models from TP (they are actually very similar to ones in Brawl, but they are less poly, and other minor details.) For Toon Link they could use his cel-shaded model from WW. Samus and Zamus could use models from Metroid Prime 3 (Yes, Samus' armor is different in Prime), and similarly for others.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
I take it you don't know how a video game is made? The team that designs and programs IS NOT the team who designed SSE. If SSE were shorter, there wouldn't be any more characters. If there were fewer characters, SSE wouldn't be longer. Why do so many people think they have any coorelation?
I take it you don't know about project resource managment.

More members of Sora on the Smash project being on a team devoted to coding and fixing something nobody wanted nor needed - say... stickers, coin launcher or subspace = less total workers available to be placed on something else.

More manpower on any one aspect of the project = more division of labor = faster turnabout time = more ambition in, theoretically, the number of characters or the quantity of unique 3D models for the trophies.

Granted, there's no use complaining about it now... but that doesn't make the logic behind such complaints wild and irrational.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Yeah I really think Nintendo messed up here, I mean, for crying out loud, why not just use the Melee trophies for the older series? The Melee trophies would've been better than just leaving out these figures.
Because, pre-release sayings like "AND WE HAVE ALL NEW TROPHY MODELS!" work better than "hey we just used melee trophies." Personally, I agree with you, I would not mind having the melee trophies back. But before the games release Nintendo was building up the fan base by getting everyone excited over new content, no matter how much the conent may have lacked. Its all about the money, the more games they sell the less they have to worry about the fanbase as a whole.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I could've lived without the trophies. But since they're in Brawl, good. Doesn't matter.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree that trophies are not that exciting. The only ones I really like ate the FS trophies which look very nice and are dynamic. Most of the others are pretty boring without even some unique poses. We didn't even get trophies using some of the alt colors for characters which I really liked from Melee.

I'll still collect them all as I'm a completist but the trophies just aren't as interesting this time around.

Rash

Smash Ace
I don't see why the trophies aren't that interesting to some of you. In fact, I love the trophies from more recent games. Hell, so far it's been exciting just to collect Metroid Prime trophies because Metroid Prime is such an awesome game.

Are people seriously complaining that Brawl didn't include trophies that were in Melee? Why would you want to see the the same trophy/character again? Once is enough; if you want to view those trophies, view them in Melee. There's no need to waste the space in Brawl.

It's just a case of people being to critical of Brawl....AGAIN. C'mon people, realize that Brawl is mostly a showcase for Nintendo characters; an encylopedia of sorts. Did you really expect the game to have 500 trophies and make every one over-specific and elaborate?

Dime

Smash Journeyman
There were 290 – 293 trophies in Melee. There are 544 trophies in Brawl. Sounds like they chose quantity over originality in design. I am more than ok with that.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
wow, yea it sux that this is the one thing they didnt fix...

that was sarcasm by the way.

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I take it you don't know about project resource managment.

More members of Sora on the Smash project being on a team devoted to coding and fixing something nobody wanted nor needed - say... stickers, coin launcher or subspace = less total workers available to be placed on something else.

More manpower on any one aspect of the project = more division of labor = faster turnabout time = more ambition in, theoretically, the number of characters or the quantity of unique 3D models for the trophies.

Granted, there's no use complaining about it now... but that doesn't make the logic behind such complaints wild and irrational.
That's irrelevant. Of course more workers means more outcome. But that doesn't change the fact that number of characters and length of SSE are in any way coorelated, which was my real point.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I agree that they were definitely lazy with the trophies. Now that you mention it, I realize that the trophies really are recycled, very few of them aren't based on pre-existing models.

Also, on trophies such as Dark Samus (says its origins are unknown) and Aryll (says her telescope is turtle-marked), they even got the descriptions wrong. Granted, trophies aren't an essential part of the game, but their lack of effort really shows a little too much.

It may be true that Sakurai used pre-existing models to save time, but why couldn't they just remove stickers from the game and have focused on trophies instead? I know stickers serve some sort of purpose, but I didn't even touch a sticker throughout the Subspace Emissary, and have only used one so far, a + Trophy Stand Drops one.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Seriously, do you sit at home everyday and think of things to complain about?

The trophies are probably wants holding back other content!

Also, SSE was good. I can't see how it wasn't. Nintendo were smart. Dialogue usually ruins characters remember.
SSE was not that great because it was repetitive and a plot hole-filled storyline. As for the characters not talking, that actually kinda killed it. The only characters that don't talk are Mario, Luigi to a lesser extent, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Link, Toon Link, Ness, and Lucas.

Everyone else talks. As for Ganondorf and Zelda, that can be remedied by having everyone talk like they did in Twilight Princess. Although, maybe it's best that only Zelda and Ganondorf do that because it would truly empathize the crossing over of several series.

As for the trophies, I agree fully that they skimped on them and this also created an insanely unequal trophy representation. Kirby got a bunch, 10 of them being Kirbys, while MOTHER and F-Zero barely get anything. You might me remember me complaining a while back about the lack of MOTHER trophies. Eventually, we ended up on the subject of improper representation which every series but Mario and Kirby have been subject to.

Top Bottom