• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TheSlyMoogle's Olimar Impressions/guide!

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
I know there's something already similar to this on here, but figured I have some stuff that hasn't been said.

Also, not entirely sure everything is accurate because I'm playing a Japanese game!

TheSlyMoogle's quick Olimar impressions!!!

*Note*

I've only played this game for a few days, and I'm not 100% sure about some of the stuff in this guide. Mostly the damage that each pikmin does when they latch onto the opponent. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or wants to be like "Dude you're flat out wrong!" That's cool, I'll accept it.

*Note*

Most importantly are his pikmin:

Each of the colored cuties has it's own special thing.

Red:

Fire attribute, and can withstand a fire attack. Really awesome to throw them at Charizard's and Bowser's flames. They fly pretty far when thrown, and they have decent attack power. When they hit, either thrown or from a smash attack or neutral A hit, they have a chance to hit with fire properties. I don't know the percentage of times when fire actually activates, but I'm sure someone will figure it out soon enough. When thrown they fly horizontally, for mid-range distance.

Yellow:

Electric attribute, and can cause electrical stun on a random basis. When thrown they fly mid-range, but in an Arc instead of horizontally. These are great to throw over a projectile to hit the opponent with them, and still have time to shield.

Blue Pikmin:

No elemental attribute, but they fly further than the other pikmin except white, and they can take more damage than the others. They fly out horizontally as well in a long range. They're your little meat shields, and you can randomly throw them to stop projectiles without them dying.

White Pikmin:

The weakest of the crew, they have the crappiest defense. They have an extra long throw range, and they have the fastest throw too. The best part is they cause poison status for 3 hits, and do more attack damage when latched onto the opponent.

Purple Pikmin (AKA Ryan Bill Pikmin):

This guys are your heavy hitters. These pudgy little *******s hit hard. Basically when you have the spare time to move them to the front of the line, you do it. Any of your attacks are stronger when you use purple pikmin to do them. Especially good are Fair with Ryan Bill and FSmash with Ryan Bill. Having 2 or more Ryan Bills is the best thing. They have a very short throw range, but deal massive damage if they hit when thrown, and at higher percentages can even out. They are the only Pikmins that do not latch onto the enemy.

Latched on Damage Chart:

Red:
-Without fire hit: 2% damage per latched hit up to 3 hits before return.
-With fire hit: 6% for the fire hit, then 2% more up to 2 more hits.

Yellow:
-Without electric hit: Same as red.
-With electric hit: Same as fire hit, except electric hit creates stun that I think could be juggled.

Blue:
-No Elemental hit, but can do up to 4 latched hits for 2% each.

White:
-Poison hits do 6% damage each, for up to 4 latched hits. So 24% damage max. WOW!

Purple:
-Hits for a random % of damage. Think it depends on hit location.

Guys keep in mind that I'm not entirely sure on any of these numbers, it's just from my slight observation over the past few days.

Olimar's Attacks:

First off Olimar is terrible without his pikmin.

Ground Attacks:

-Neutral A: 3 hit combo attack that knocks back and will knock out at higher percentages.

-Forward Tilt and Back tilt A: Olimar does a little kick

-Down Tilt A: Olimar crouches a little bit and does a little kick

-Up Tilt A: Olimar sends a pikmin flying upward, this is actually better than his up smash as long as it's not a white pikmin he tosses.

His regular attacks don't really change on the ground with or without pikmins except for up tilt.

Smashes (Note, all of these only work when olimar has pikmin):

-USmash: Does about the same damage as up tilt, only it's faster, but doesn't have a chance of outing the enemy like up tilt. Olimar is tossed up by his pikmin and spins. A pretty good smash.

-FSmash: Olimar sends a pikmin twisting forward about the same distance that Purple pikman can be thrown. Very powerful smash and pretty much olimar's best outing tool and a good ledge guard due to the max range.

-DSmash: Olimar sends up to two pikmin out at each side for a sneaky surprise attack. Very good range, and keeps the opponent away in certain situations.

Aerial Attacks:

-Fair: Olimar holds onto a pikmin and pushes it forward. Very strong attack as long as it's not a white pikmin.

-Bair: Olimar kicks backwards. Decent priority, but not that useful.

-Uair: Olimar tosses a pikmin above his head in the air. This attack racks up damage if you have one of the elemental pikmin at the head of the class. If it's a purple pikmin, and this hits, your opponent might as well start planning his next attack during the vertical out animation.

-Dair: A pretty decent spike. Olimar just stomps his feet into the opponent's body.

Olimar's Specials:

Neutal B: Olimar pulls up his pikmin at a much faster speed than the actual pikmin game. Olimar loves pikmin, and pikmin love olimar!

Forward B: Olimar tosses the first pikmin in like at the opponent.

Down B: Olimar whistles for his pikmin to line up. During this olimar is able to change the formation of his pikmin. Very useful in getting those pesky purple plump plants to the front for massive damage.

Up B: Olimar forms a pikmin chain that tethers to the ledge. Worst recovery move ever. Olimar cannot tether to a ledge that is being held by someone else.

General Olimar Advice:

-Run away and toss pikmin. Damage racks up fast, though do not be afraid to attack occasionally to let the opponent know you're there. He has some great moves, so use them.

-Ledge guard with Up + B. Although, this only does 2% damage, a well timed up + b can hit your opponent out of several moves, including their second jump. Then it's up to you to smack them with FSmash or maybe a nice FAir.

-Watch out where you're fighting. The most important part of being olimar is to make sure you always try to influence back onto the ledge, or very close to the top. Up + B gives olimar just a slight hop in the air, so you can still use it to recover very close to the stage without tethering.

-Be very aware of the pikmin you'll use next. Knowing what pikmin is next in your line-up helps determine your best attack at the time.

-Throw with Olimar. The pikmin that grabs your opponent will always suck the opponent back to you, and if it's the white pikmin it adds some poison damage. You have huge throw range, so do it!

- FSmash and FAir are your friends. Olimar's best tools for outing are these two moves. Use them, preferrably with purple pikmins.

Overall Olimar is pretty strong. Believe me, you can rack up 60-80 damage before you even take any yourself just from throwing some pikmins.

He always has a hard time recovering, and probably his biggest downfall is trying to come back down from the air, or getting back to the ledge.

He is a challenge to use because of the different pikmin properties but this also makes him a lot of fun. Trying to get that purple pikmin to the front of the line is fun and makes you think.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and say he'll be mid-tier because of his hard time recovering in one vs. one, but he is very powerful.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Oh and just to prove my validity as a fighting game player:

Dustloop

If you really feel like checking it out you'll see under the character forums that I'm the mod of the Anji-Mito forums. I've been around the fighting game community for a long time, and played a pretty decent Jigglypuff in Melee, but never competed in it as my time was mostly for guilty gear.

Also I forgot to mention that charcters can use moves to shake off pikmin when they latch on. Especially sonic that stupid blue hedgehog.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Wow thanks for that. Assuming your information is correct I'm really more eager to play P&O. I've also always wondered what their A attacks are and a more in depth take on some stuff you covered, so thank you very much for sharing. It's very unfortunate about the recovery but we'll see, I think I can hold my own in the metagame despite the fact. Although I can see this being exploited by opponents. We P&O players will find a way around it... somehow.

IllidR

Smash Champion
Very good information, summed up Olimar pretty well in your description. Although I do have one question as you posted something which I hadn't heard before. You said there were different percentages of when the Pikmin are latched on based on if they do an elemental attack. I had heard before only that they did the same % about every attack, so how do the elemental attacks work? I can see they're very beneficial because they add some more damage but what's the rate of occurence of the elemental attacks, are they all random?

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
It's hard to catch, as I haven't had any time to sit in practice mode, but occasionally when you hit with one of the 2 elementals, they do a fire or electric attack. With this, I think it's random, and I'm pretty convinced it does more damage, and I'm pretty sure that I saw 6% add on one time.

Like I said I'm not completely sure about the figures.

I'm not 100% sure about how many hits the pikmin actually do, but I do know that regular hits from pikmin do 2% damage. That's the only thing I'm sure of.

Also something interesting to note:

Pikmin will latch onto opponents who are in some type of invincible animation. They will attack, but will not do damage until the opponents lose their invincible frames.

Sorry I can't give more solid information, we've only got one copy of the game, so we end up playing 4 Player brawl a lot because there are a lot of people who want to play it.

Unfortunately the majority of those people are scrubs who just think it's flashy and cool. No Skills.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Question:

If someone is edghehogging, can the Pikmin Chain hit them and ring them down with Olimar?

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
I may have read something about this in another 'recovery' thread, but what about attacking the edgehogger? Wether it be an up-front or projectile attack, will that work? Or to put it simply, is there anything P&O can do to get that edgehogger off the ledge, assuming they have the momentum to do so? Sorry I'm a bit behind on that topic.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
I may have read something about this in another 'recovery' thread, but what about attacking the edgehogger? Wether it be an up-front or projectile attack, will that work? Or to put it simply, is there anything P&O can do to get that edgehogger off the ledge, assuming they have the momentum to do so? Sorry I'm a bit behind on that topic.
Ok, here are suggestions:

Footstool Hopping:

This is kinda pointless because if you're close enough to footstool hop on an edgehogger you should just get back onto the stage.

Throwing a pikmin to hit the opponent then up + b:

Probably this will be the most reliable option, but the timing will definitely be tricky.

Fair then up+B:

In certain situations this will be great. Fair has great recovery, and it will cause a slight spike effect.

So far that's all that's been covered I'm trying to figure out recovery ways right now myself. So far nothing doing though.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Oh, have you noticed which Pikmin are more likely on which stages/terrain?

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Oh, have you noticed which Pikmin are more likely on which stages/terrain?
I was wondering about that as well. So far, the only definitive thing I've seen in that regard is that, on Summit, if you're on the 'underneath' snow/ice part then you will only pull up purple/blue/white, or at least it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will get either of the other two colors.

But definitely, if you can pay attention to that for us from now on, that's be awesome. It seems like an intigral part of Olimar's strategy (knowing what Pikmin is good for what), and if we knew where to get them, that'd be even better.

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Actually the pikmin hit like six times and the white ones deal a total of 56%!!!
I'm pretty sure that the normal pikmin hit for like 4% but I'm not sure.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Actually the pikmin are easily shaken off as long as your opponent is attacking. Running or walking will not stop the pikmin from attacking.

After playing some more here's what I noticed as I was paying a lot of attention this time:

Yellows: Only hit for 1% when latched, unless they hit with the electric.

Reds: Hit for 2% when latched unless they hit with fire, then it's 8% for the fire hit, which seems to only be the initial hit from the throw.

Blues: Hit for 1% also. No elemental attribute.

Also the elemental hits from a throw are very rare, as I only got the fire hit once, and no electrical hits at all in a total of like 20 matches, and that's a lot of thrown pikmins.

And yes, white would do 56% as long as they stayed on the full time but, anyone smart enough will shake that one off asap, or make sure they don't get hit by it in the first place.

Also I forgot to mention Olimar's neutral Air:

Olimar does a spin that hits multiple times. This is one of olimar's best moves, and pretty much the only thing he has going for him without pikmin. Use this move please.

As far as pikmin pulls from terrain... I haven't really noticed a lot of difference in the terrain affecting the pikmin pulls.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Hm, supposedly there SHOULD be a difference between terrains. Maybe it depends on the stage or stage's variety? It'll probably be 100% random if it was a stage like Final Destination, but if it were, say, I don't know.. can't think of one.. but a stage that has different parts to it and not just one platform, maybe some Pikmin are more likely to appear on that area of that stage compared to others. Just a theory. It was officially announced so I'm just thinking it over.

And I find it odd that the elemental attacks are rare. Are you 100% sure they're random and can't be triggered? I first felt that way with Luigi's side special, the cannon recovery.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Ok, here are suggestions:

Footstool Hopping:

This is kinda pointless because if you're close enough to footstool hop on an edgehogger you should just get back onto the stage.

Throwing a pikmin to hit the opponent then up + b:

Probably this will be the most reliable option, but the timing will definitely be tricky.

Fair then up+B:

In certain situations this will be great. Fair has great recovery, and it will cause a slight spike effect.

So far that's all that's been covered I'm trying to figure out recovery ways right now myself. So far nothing doing though.
Yeah, I'm not really coming up with nothing either, and you're the one with the game, lol. But whatever the strategy is, I think alot of it will depend on timing and momentum. People should test out that FAir move as well, it sounds interesting, maybe even possibly groundbreaking?

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
The pikmen in brawl videos ive seen, all start out with leaves on their head, the leaf soon progresses into a bulb, then a flower. Just like the Pikmen game eh! Anyway, perhaps this means they have a greater chance of doing an elemental attack if they have the flower on thier head, or maybe they simply do more damage. If you check the dojo, you will see that the plant stage on each of the pikmens heads vary.
This may be something worth looking into.

EDIT: btw moogle you can use the edit function on the bottom of the post to update/change the post. You should use this to update your first post to have a full compilation of all the information discovered. ;)

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Hey Guys,

Going to my first Brawl Tourney tonight.

Should have a lot of information about Olimar and his match-ups.

And yes I can see Marth being **** for Pikmin and Olimar.

Also Gerbality, I will edit stuff into my original post later.

Ryan Bill Pikmin for the WIN!

Flame 326

Smash Rookie
i wood go ahead and say oli will b top tier because he looks hard to read but he will be awesome and i cant wait to main him XD.

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
A lot of your information is incorrect...

I'm almost positive you have the Utilt and USmash confused...the Utilt is Olimar spinning, the Usmash is Olimar throwing a Pikmin.

From what I could tell, the red and yellow pikmin always do elemental damage, not randomly...although I'm not positive about this one.

The dair is not a kick...Olimar grabs a pikmin and hits downwards with it...

The bair is the same as fair...I think.

His nair is good for combos, hits them up.

I don't know...when I played, the elemental pikmin were always elemental, although I agree with your damage figures.

You can throw pikmin at people in shields and they stick, or people lying down.

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
A lot of your information is incorrect...

I'm almost positive you have the Utilt and USmash confused...the Utilt is Olimar spinning, the Usmash is Olimar throwing a Pikmin.

From what I could tell, the red and yellow pikmin always do elemental damage, not randomly...although I'm not positive about this one.

The dair is not a kick...Olimar grabs a pikmin and hits downwards with it...

The bair is the same as fair...I think.

His nair is good for combos, hits them up.

I don't know...when I played, the elemental pikmin were always elemental, although I agree with your damage figures.

You can throw pikmin at people in shields and they stick, or people lying down.
yeah you are correct.

btw upb from shield is amazing, it has nice knockback and it has low lag, i think it could be quite spamable

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie
yeah you are correct.

btw upb from shield is amazing, it has nice knockback and it has low lag, i think it could be quite spamable
Up B from shield is terrible (no offense). Olimar has much better choices of attacks dealing with pressure, namely is fair/bair or potentially a throw. The Up B leaves Olimar open during the time it takes for him to retract his chain (around one second), and doesn't have nearly enough knockback as other ones (i.e. Samus or Bowser).

For final smash impressions... Olimar's final smash is amazing. Some characters like Pit can cheese it and get away from the damage by flying (actually, Pit is pretty good at dodging almost every FS), but in general most of the times is a guaranteed KO. You can either kill them by 1) using it near them, and the space ship will knock them at a downwards angle off the stage, 2) use it somewhere above them, and kill them with the space ship on the way down, or 3) use it while they're off the stage, since they lose control of themselves for a brief period.

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
Up B from shield is terrible (no offense). Olimar has much better choices of attacks dealing with pressure, namely is fair/bair or potentially a throw. The Up B leaves Olimar open during the time it takes for him to retract his chain (around one second), and doesn't have nearly enough knockback as other ones (i.e. Samus or Bowser).

meh... I will try to record a video, its sometimes a better choice than fair for mindgames and vs attacks with high priority obviously (disjointed hitbox ;s) and it has decent knockback, samus upb in melee didn't have high knockback, it couldn't even kill (well it could, if you hit with the spike frame :p) and it was awesome...

edit- why didn't it quote you ?

NoobasaurusRex

Smash Rookie

meh... I will try to record a video, its sometimes a better choice than fair for mindgames and vs attacks with high priority obviously (disjointed hitbox ;s) and it has decent knockback, samus upb in melee didn't have high knockback, it couldn't even kill (well it could, if you hit with the spike frame :p) and it was awesome...

edit- why didn't it quote you ?
No idea, but for the Up B, I mostly meant other Up B's a lot less easily retaliated if failed. For Samus/Bowser you can easiliy DI away after even barely tapping someone. If you miss with Olimar's you're pretty much asking for a fsmash to the face :ohwell:

Fiz

Smash Apprentice
No idea, but for the Up B, I mostly meant other Up B's a lot less easily retaliated if failed. For Samus/Bowser you can easiliy DI away after even barely tapping someone. If you miss with Olimar's you're pretty much asking for a fsmash to the face :ohwell:
if you miss samus's UPB you are screwed , it's a guaranteed fsmash while olimar might only be punished with an aerial

Pyrogamer

Smash Journeyman
dude, SlyMoogle, we've met. the anji player who was a former melee pro, remember me? (PhoenixPhenom on Dustloop) I didn't know you played smash, you didn't say anything about it at that one tournament. Anyways I stopped playing GG when AC came out cause it ruined Anji too much and made Potemkin too broken and it just seemed a large step backwards in the series. And although Brawl almost feels that way because the engine isn't as sophisticated at melee's, they removed all the broken stuff, so now its all about wits and it's a lot of fun. I got my first chance with Brawl over the weekend, about 30 hours worth. I love Olimar, I've got some vids linked in the compendium if you wanna check em out.

notnarb

Smash Cadet
I'd like to add my 2 cents from the one match that I've done with him (5 stock, so longer then 2 min). In a 4 person brawl, Olimar has no place in the middle of the fray (as opposed to, say Marth, who I normally play as), but rather to take advantage of the confusion to spread your pikmin love. Someone earlier asked for impressions on his final smash, and I must say, it is much harder to get the smash ball as opposed to other characters

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Hey Pyro, what's up?

Yeah I kinda played Melee but only casually with friends. Never took it seriously.

I like brawl a lot though, and still not sure if I'm going to seriously play it or not. I really only like the complexity of Olimar's play style, and as long as something silly doesn't come along and make the game unbalanced as hell like melee then I'll play this game probably.

You shouldn't have dropped GG man. You should bring your potemkin friend to meet me, actually Anji has one of the best match-ups against potemkin in the game. No other character can lock down pot like Anji can.

You should have hit up dustloop. Haha.

It's cool though.

Oh and I didn't post final smash impressions because I doubt that it will ever be an issue seeing as items are banned, and smash ball is an item. Also it's a decent final smash, deals a lot of damage. Big deal right? No items = no smash ball. Problem solved.

TheSlyMoogle: Most people treat items and Smash Balls as separate entities. So it would be perfectly logical to include some items but no Smash Ball, or Smash Balls but no items in competitive matches.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Uhm no.

Final Smashes are stupidly broken. It's completely game changing. The Dynamics of a final smash in a 1 vs 1 would be silly. If the losing player gets it he would quickly become the winning player. Or if the winning player acquired it, then bam he's up by like 2 stock.

And I've never seen or been a part of a competitive smash tourney that allowed items.

Items are stupid, and I really don't see smash balls ever being part of a tournament.

Please don't misinterpret what I said. No where in my post did I say that Smash Balls were balanced. I only pointed out that, while technically items, most people differentiate between the two. A rule stating "No items" does not necessarily equate to "No items or Smash Balls". That's all. I didn't imply that we should use Smash Balls.

Also, while I never experienced any of the first Melee tournaments, many of the original ones did use items. From what I gather, they only banned items after using them extensively in actual tournaments and coming to the conclusion that items=bad. While that does set a precedent for Brawl, we should still at least make an attempt at competitive tournaments with items and even Smash Balls. As with any experiment, the end result may be drastically different than one would have guessed beforehand.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Thanks for the helpful info Sly. Two points:

1) I'm pretty sure the plural for more than one Pikmin is... Pikmin. Not "Pikmins." It's just like Moose, in that it works both ways. Sorry to nit-pick.

2) Would you say Olimar is more of a 1 vs 1 character or is he more suited for free for all matches?

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
At Wiseguy, Olimar is great in both, for different reasons which I mentioned above somewhere, I think.

Midguy

Smash Cadet
How can you consider Olimar a real character when he can't recover if someone is holding the edge? His recovery is more laughable than Yoshi's it seems.

Top Bottom