• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TheSlyMoogle's Olimar Impressions/guide!

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
Talk about it in the hundred other threads that are about tether recovery; yoshi's moveset still sucks, and Olimar's doesn't.

On a side note, I want someone to test this please: It's common knowledge by now (I assume) that Olimar's forward smash involves throwing a Pikmin far, far away. Well, when you throw a Pikmin off the edge, it spirals to its demise. My question then, is the following: Does the pikmin retain its smash hitbox even when it's really far away? If so, is it at full power? It seems to me that if it is possible to essentially forward smash someone in the middle of their recovery midair, then Olimar has a pretty nice trick up his sleeve.

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Hah. That's really good, but please PLEASE change "pikmins" to pikmin. The plural form is like deer. Thanks.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
At Wiseguy, Olimar is great in both, for different reasons which I mentioned above somewhere, I think.
Good to know! Now noone will be safe from Olimar's ownage.

How can you consider Olimar a real character when he can't recover if someone is holding the edge? His recovery is more laughable than Yoshi's it seems.
I mained Olimar in Melee. I WISH his recovery was as good as Yoshi's.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
First off, I'm not stupid, I realize that Pikmin is both singular and plural.

My friends and I have been calling them pikmins like pokemans.

My pokemans let me show you them.

Get it?

Sorry I didn't explain.

As far as tether recovery goes, I've been in several matches now where I've spiked someone off the ledge at like 50% because they were stupid edge hogging.

Honestly it's harder to set up the trap against oli than you think, and now people are fearing the spike that comes from the pikmin chain. Also this is just theory:

My belief is if you get olimar at the right spacing, you can hit him with the pikmin closer to him in the chain and knock them off the edge, then still grab it yourself. I've done it like once, unless that was some fluke, but I'm pretty sure it happened. Other than that I rarely ever face the problem of being edge-hogged.

I do not believe that this will be as big a deal as you guys think.

Olimar in 1 vs. 1:

Olimar is a pretty decent character in 1 vs. 1. He just takes a lot of practice, and knowledge of what you've got going on with him.

Olimar in FFA:

Like someone else said, Olimar has no place in the fray, he cannot hold his own against 2 or 3 others like some characters can. He's more suited to hanging out and picking off the stray character that has been tossed at that side of the stage.

icy_icicle

Smash Journeyman
TheSlyMoogle said:
Like someone else said, Olimar has no place in the fray, he cannot hold his own against 2 or 3 others like some characters can. He's more suited to hanging out and picking off the stray character that has been tossed at that side of the stage.
Isn't a pretty good FFA strategy to pick on the weaker opponents anyway? Throwing pikmin into the fray to stack up huge damage and then finishing them off with super long range smashes is pretty enjoyable and effective in my opinion. Any ideas on the Fsmash Edgeguard thing? Also, what is the mechanic of the UpB spike? Is one pikmin color a spike, or is it merely the opponent bouncing off the stage? Also, what determines the damage of the UpB? The pikmin Olimar is holding, the pikmin at the end of the chain, or whatever pikmin hits them first?

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
Oh for the smash thing, Yes the pikmin that is spiraling to its impending doom will still hit. As far as smash properties, I believe at the a certain point the pikmin just does a small amount of pushback and damage from the hit.

Up B seems to always do 8% damage.

As far as the spike goes, it's because it bounces them off the stage, which is nice.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Wait let me get this straight (sorry if this has been covered already, if so just redirect me), when you're being edgehogged by someone and about to die, you can spike them with a certain type of Pikmin, correct? If not, please correct me, but if so, how is it a spike? Will the edgehogger simply fall with you with no recovery or double jumps? I'm confused as to how an up+B is a spike. Normally the term referrs to down smashes or attacks that thrusts opponents down or keeps them away from getting to the edge.

TheSlyMoogle

Smash Rookie
No basically it will hit them, no matter what pikmin, and slam them against the edge of the stage, on the majority of stages it happens so fast they just fall to their doom before realizing "Hey I got slammed against the stage"

Get it?

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I mained Olimar in Melee. I WISH his recovery was as good as Yoshi's.
Urgh. Why did I say Olimar? I meant Dr. Mario. I wanted to say: "I mained Doc in Melee. I WISH his recovery was as good as Yoshi's." Too bad I can't type and think at the same time...

First off, I'm not stupid, I realize that Pikmin is both singular and plural.

My friends and I have been calling them pikmins like pokemans.

My pokemans let me show you them.

Get it?

Sorry I didn't explain.
Oh, I get it. :dizzy: My bad.

Maybe you should call them "Pikmans" instead so its more obvious...

Olimar in 1 vs. 1:

Olimar is a pretty decent character in 1 vs. 1. He just takes a lot of practice, and knowledge of what you've got going on with him.

Olimar in FFA:

I see. Well, my friends and I are usually more into 1 vs 1s anyway, so I suppose its just as well. Maybe I should look into a secondary character for FFAs...

Anyway, thanks again for the info. :)

marthownsxd

Smash Apprentice
Olimar:
Ever see someone do 100% in less than 7 seconds without items? I have. Or should I say seven people. Pikman and Olimar are the warlocks of this game. spamming damage over time, and strong blasts everywhere. He's hard to read, and his UB can keep his opponents at bay. Honestly, he kinda scares me.
Word has it that Pikmin and Olimar can do 100% in 7 seconds. If true, which Pikmin would do so?

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Word has it that Pikmin and Olimar can do 100% in 7 seconds. If true, which Pikmin would do so?
White Pikmin, when thrown, can do over 50% damage to a person that's immobile. Imagine two, or three.. or more. Not sure if that's what that person was referring to but at least that's a possible answer. But eventhough DoT is great for racking up damage, the opponent can easily shake the Pikmin off, so I'm not completely sure the 7 seconds thing applies to PC opponents.

Top Bottom