• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
As long as Mewtwo does good during his "testing stage", you can bet there will be additional dlc. But I can also understand Sakarai's worrying. Cause there will be some people who would be pissed if their character(s) they wanted in, whose only chance now is dlc, was passed up for someone else.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
As long as Mewtwo does good during his "testing stage", you can bet there will be additional dlc. But I can also understand Sakarai's worrying. Cause there will be some people who would be pissed if their character(s) they wanted in, whose only chance now is dlc, was passed up for someone else.
I think the whole "I don't want to add anyone because I don't want to upset anyone" thing is bogus. Players should just be happy that we have as many characters as we do.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I may be a stout Lucas supporter, and he may be my favorite video tame character, but I'm not going to throw a tantrum if he didn't get in. People who bash other characters and whine because their character didn't get in are just really immature. I'm just going to be disappointed, but get over it quickly.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Depends on the character imo.

And I would've thought Diddy and Baby Bowser were Mario Kart staples by now, but Nintendo is always trying to do something unsuspected.

The only characters that I'd say are definitely safe for future Smash games are the original 12, and a select few others. It used to be more, but I'm always surprised by who is cut and who stays. I was really shocked when Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl.
There's rumors that Diddy was cut because Diddy Kong Racing 2 is being made & that it'll star alot of lesser known Nintendo characters. Maybe Bowser Jr will be in that too?

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
This is interesting
Wolf's module is the same as his trophy module, could he have been planed, main point is Wolf must be DLC.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, this is what I've been waiting for. Wolf having a new model that's identical to his trophy... Yes, he was probably cut late. Interesting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This doesn't guarantee him as DLC, but I do expect it.

The real question is why he was cut late, if that's what the case was.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Interesting that they cut Wolf. Was the work they needed to do on Wolf that much harder than the work on Dr. Mario & Dark Pit? I don't think many people would complain if it was revealed that Wolf got in over those two.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Interesting that they cut Wolf. Was the work they needed to do on Wolf that much harder than the work on Dr. Mario & Dark Pit? I don't think many people would complain if it was revealed that Wolf got in over those two.
If I had to choose between having either :wolf: in or:4drmario:and:4darkpit: in, I'd have picked :wolf: over those two losers in a heartbeat.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Time constraints. Nintendo added Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit to pad out the roster like they did with Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Ganondorf in Melee. They just didn't have time unless they pushed the game back further to work on Wolf or any other Brawl vets besides ICs and it was 3DS issues that doomed them.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
If I had to choose between having either :wolf: in or:4drmario:and:4darkpit: in, I'd have picked :wolf: over those two losers in a heartbeat.
Eh, I choose the two fun characters I like more over Wolf personally. Also, why say he "Must" be DLC as if he "deserves" to be back or it's guaranteed? Whether he's in or not, oh well. People will be upset, but they'll have to get through with it. However, on what yo showed us about the theory, if this is true, Wolf seems likely if there's anyone else besides Mewtwo. Real likely. So likely that it hurts to know he didn't just make it into the original full game.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Time constraints. Nintendo added Lucina, Dr. Mario, and Dark Pit to pad out the roster like they did with Roy, Pichu, Young Link, Dr. Mario, and Ganondorf in Melee. They just didn't have time unless they pushed the game back further to work on Wolf or any other Brawl vets besides ICs and it was 3DS issues that doomed them.
If Wolf was cut due to time, then he should be DLC.
Eh, I choose the two fun characters I like more over Wolf personally. Also, why say he "Must" be DLC as if he "deserves" to be back or it's guaranteed? Whether he's in or not, oh well. People will be upset, but they'll have to get through with it. However, on what yo showed us about the theory, if this is true, Wolf seems likely if there's anyone else besides Mewtwo. Real likely. So likely that it hurts to know he didn't just make it into the original full game.
There's so much Wolf content in the game to the point that its just teasing us that Wolf's not in.:crying:,BUT... It can be rectified with the announcement of Wolf DLC!

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
All i expect as POSSIBLE DLC are Wolf and Rayman.

Rayman is debatable at best. But he has way too much stuff in this game for him to not be used. In the end I expect Wolf the most as the next character if Mewtwo does well enough. (As i should since first party will always have priority)

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
All i expect as POSSIBLE DLC are Wolf and Rayman.

Rayman is debatable at best. But he has way too much stuff in this game for him to not be used. In the end I expect Wolf the most as the next character if Mewtwo does well enough. (As i should since first party will always have priority)
Yeah I think Wolf is definitely going to be DLC. Rayman I think was planned,but scrapped, because Ubisoft kind of ****** with Nintendo. You betray the big N, you don't get your character to be playable in smash bros, Rayman Legends is Wii U exclusive in Japan apparently, so maybe that's why its got more than 1 trophy.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Yeah I think Wolf is definitely going to be DLC. Rayman I think was planned,but scrapped, because Ubisoft kind of ****** with Nintendo. You betray the big N, you don't get your character to be playable in smash bros, Rayman Legends is Wii U exclusive in Japan apparently, so maybe that's why its got more than 1 trophy.
I feel that he was a Snake situation. (Asked for late into development. Just like Snake was asked for late into melee's development)

rhysmorgan

Smash Rookie
NNID
rhysm94
Are you kidding me its plenty fair, they can buy a wii u if its just 1 character with a reasonable explanation behind it. Its not like Sakurai wanted Ice Climbers to be UNPLAYABLE on the 3ds this is just how it works, technical limitations should make this case ok. (Also smash is all Ice Climbers got, there is no where else for them to go)
I genuinely don't understand how people think it'd be "unfair" for the Wii U version to have exclusive characters.
Those characters only being on one version doesn't diminish your enjoyment of the game you bought. You still have the exact same game as before. It's not like they remove Luigi from the 3DS version in a patch and make him Wii U exclusive.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Since our main man Sakurai said the Character roster will be the same in both versions (he MEANS it), the Ice Climbers can't be in because of the 3DS limitations.
And I'm predicting that after Mewtwo, the next DLC should be another character they worked on but didn't finish before the release. It's quite a bit quicker than doing a brand new one from scratch. No offense to characters who are requested more heavily.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Since our main man Sakurai said the Character roster will be the same in both versions (he MEANS it), the Ice Climbers can't be in because of the 3DS limitations.
And I'm predicting that after Mewtwo, the next DLC should be another character they worked on but didn't finish before the release. It's quite a bit quicker than doing a brand new one from scratch. No offense to characters who are requested more heavily.
Well, that all depends. Its possible that a character they started working on before release just barely missed the cut, unless they started set character late and/or cut said character early, the character should be in the finishing stages of development, as opposed to Mewtwo who likely barely started. If anything, if there's a character they didn't quite finish, they may release said characters through a patch instead. Keep in mind, Sakurai said that no paid DLC is planned. However, they might've not quite finished a character they're still planning to release before Mewtwo.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but its a definite possibility we need to consider.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, considering Mewtwo will be paid DLC later as outright said, he means besides him. :p

But he also said "at that time", so we can get later characters(I.E. Wolf).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, considering Mewtwo will be paid DLC later as outright said, he means besides him. :p

But he also said "at that time", so we can get later characters(I.E. Wolf).
Again, it all depends on the circumstances.

What if Wolf barely missed out? Maybe he could be added sooner rather than later.

And yes I know Sakurai said "at this time." He also said specifically "paid" DLC, which almost makes me think that maybe he's got something else already in the works. Mewtwo will likely be the first paid DLC, but that doesn't mean he couldn't add a character nearly finished before the game was released through a patch. Considering the development cycle and how these games usually go, I'd be shocked if there wasn't cut characters other than Ice Climbers.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Well, that all depends. Its possible that a character they started working on before release just barely missed the cut, unless they started set character late and/or cut said character early, the character should be in the finishing stages of development, as opposed to Mewtwo who likely barely started. If anything, if there's a character they didn't quite finish, they may release said characters through a patch instead. Keep in mind, Sakurai said that no paid DLC is planned. However, they might've not quite finished a character they're still planning to release before Mewtwo.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but its a definite possibility we need to consider.
It takes a year they said to make a full character neatly complete.
Mewtwo looks like it has started a few months before the 50-Fact direct.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Again, it all depends on the circumstances.

What if Wolf barely missed out? Maybe he could be added sooner rather than later.

And yes I know Sakurai said "at this time." He also said specifically "paid" DLC, which almost makes me think that maybe he's got something else already in the works. Mewtwo will likely be the first paid DLC, but that doesn't mean he couldn't add a character nearly finished before the game was released through a patch. Considering the development cycle and how these games usually go, I'd be shocked if there wasn't cut characters other than Ice Climbers.
Well, Lucas too if that part of the Gematsu leak was real. Gotta wait and see, though. We should be able to find out more information when people data dump the Wii U version. I know he transferred tons of Brawl data to the 3DS version.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
When was Mewtwo confirmed as paid DLC?

And why does Wolf having a trophy and a few lines in Lylat guarantee he's going to be DLC?

I feel like too many assumptions are happening here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
When was Mewtwo confirmed as paid DLC?

And why does Wolf having a trophy and a few lines in Lylat guarantee he's going to be DLC?

I feel like too many assumptions are happening here.
Mewtwo has been confirmed by NoA.

As for Wolf, well, the argument is that he has the exact same model in Lylat Cruise as his trophy. However, he doesn't use the same design as Fox and Falco (Brawl), so I'm starting to believe he was never once planned and in the early stages, they "trimmed the fat" by cutting out Wolf and Lucas.

Yes you're right. They probably started Mewtwo when they finalized the roster. However, before they finalized the roster, they likely had to cut other characters. Its very possible there are other characters who just barely didn't make the cut to the final roster but are much closer to completion than Mewtwo.

Although I don't know how you can say Mewtwo looks like he started a few months ago considering the fact we only have a model and nothing more.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think he was likely planned before for the main roster but was low priority and was never completed, along with wolf and possibly lucas

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think he was likely planned before for the main roster but was low priority and was never completed, along with lucas and wolf
I think he was considered, maybe barely started, but scrapped early on. They should've been able to show Mewtwo at least a little bit if he was really planned to be in the game by default, because he'd having a working model and a partial moveset. But they didn't even bother to do that, so he likely BARELY got off the ground.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I think he was considered, maybe barely started, but scrapped early on. They should've been able to show Mewtwo at least a little bit if he was really planned to be in the game by default, because he'd having a working model and a partial moveset. But they didn't even bother to do that, so he likely BARELY got off the ground.
Although we do have no idea how much work has actually been done of him, showing him off properly in the direct wouldn't make much sense imo. And we don't really have a clue when he'll actually release since smash 3ds was meant to launch in summer

Although I am fairy certain wolf was planned, considering he has his theme in the game twice and his model in lylat cruise looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes because of a possible late cut. If he really was never planned the model would likely be much higher quality than that

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Although we do have no idea how much work has actually been done of him, showing him off properly in the direct wouldn't make much sense imo. And we don't really have a clue when he'll actually release since smash 3ds was meant to launch in summer

Although I am fairy certain wolf was planned, considering he has his theme in the game twice and his model in lylat cruise looks like it was slapped together in 5 minutes because of a possible late cut. If he really was never planned the model would likely be much higher quality than that
I'm not sure what you're getting at. If Wolf really was never planned, the model would be higher quality? What? Wouldn't he have a higher quality model if he WAS playable?

Mewtwo is going to be released in Spring to people who bought both games, Summer for actual purchase.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm not sure what you're getting at. If Wolf really was never planned, the model would be higher quality? What? Wouldn't he have a higher quality model if he WAS playable?

Mewtwo is going to be released in Spring to people who bought both games, Summer for actual purchase.
What I'm saying is that, the model quality would be up to the quality of the others if he wasn't planned but if he was planned he would be use his brawl model. If he was then cut due to time constraints that model would need to be changed as they obviously avoid referencing cut characters outside of trophies.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
As for Wolf, well, the argument is that he has the exact same model in Lylat Cruise as his trophy. However, he doesn't use the same design as Fox and Falco (Brawl), so I'm starting to believe he was never once planned and in the early stages, they "trimmed the fat" by cutting out Wolf and Lucas.

If he cut Wolf in the beginning, then Sakurai is a cruel man, for then purposefully, naming Fox's custom Wolf flash, and making the Star Wolf theme the alt for Corneria. Though back at E3 2013, Sakurai said he didn't want to cut any characters, since they all have fans, but if they had to, he'd apologize in advance. Maybe Snake I could see being cut early on due to 3rd party, but if he didn't even start on Wolf, then the stuff he put in related to Wolf, was more cruel on his part.

Actually I took another look at Wolf's Wii U trophy, and it looks pretty detailed, and playable character quality. They actually changed his belt buckle color from purple to white. Sakurai could have simply changed his look.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Then please, Masahiro!
When you're ready, please bring in Wolf.
He'll regain my appreciation for him, once I'm playing as Wolf in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS.
Wolf does look like he could be playable. He also could be an unfinished model too.
Could someone please post a video of a full rotation of Wolf's trophy. I haven't gotten him yet. I want to see how detailed he is.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Have you noticed that I called him by his first name instead of his last?
Yes. If you are Masahiro Sakurai, please make Wolf his own playable character in Super Smash bros for Wii U and 3DS via DLC or update.
Could someone please post a video of a full rotation of Wolf's trophy. I haven't gotten him yet. I want to see how detailed he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom