• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isn't this thread irreverent since there ARE no unrevealed characters on the wii u version?
Until we can play the official game, that is not provable.

Besides, the fact Duck Hunt is both a stage hazard and playable means that the idea that Ridley could be playable too is definitely not impossible or as unlikely as previously thought. Not that I expect anyone more on the Wii U version, but it's pretty hard to write it off without a defining statement from Sakurai. Which doesn't exist, of course.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Besides, the fact Duck Hunt is both a stage hazard and playable means that the idea that Ridley could be playable too is definitely not impossible or as unlikely as previously thought. Not that I expect anyone more on the Wii U version, but it's pretty hard to write it off without a defining statement from Sakurai. Which doesn't exist, of course.
Why would they announce DLC before characters that are actually "IN" the game

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why would they announce DLC before characters that are actually "IN" the game
When did I mention DLC? Could the Wii U have more? Sure. Will it? I doubt it, but we have zero reason to write it off beyond being pessimistic. Unless I am misinterpreting your message, but I can't get the context.

If the Wii U version did have more, it makes sense not to announce the DLC characters right away for the 3DS version till the Wii U one is released. It's not much of a surprise or a reason to get the Wii U version if we already know we don't have to get it. We know the rosters will be the same in the end. But clearly the 3DS version was not the final roster, thanks to Mewtwo's announcement. It's obvious we can't predict Sakurai here.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
When did I mention DLC? Could the Wii U have more? Sure. Will it? I doubt it, but we have zero reason to write it off beyond being pessimistic. Unless I am misinterpreting your message, but I can't get the context.

If the Wii U version did have more, it makes sense not to announce the DLC characters right away for the 3DS version till the Wii U one is released. It's not much of a surprise or a reason to get the Wii U version if we already know we don't have to get it. We know the rosters will be the same in the end. But clearly the 3DS version was not the final roster, thanks to Mewtwo's announcement. It's obvious we can't predict Sakurai here.
I meant the announcement of Mewtwo

Why would they announce that

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm 100% sure Mewtwo was the only character we didn't know about that's coming anytime soon

Mcriddle

Smash Rookie
I'm just wondering What's left Now cause there's obviously gonna be one more trailer? Hmmm getting hyped

D

Deleted member 245254

Hype to get both versions. Nintendo refuses to tell us if he'll be paid DLC later, so it helps make people want to get both. I'm sure it will, but eh.
This wouldn't be any different from Ridley, he would create just as much additional hype.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This wouldn't be any different from Ridley, he would create just as much additional hype.
Not really. Mewtwo is severely popular and well known for wanting to playable. Ridley isn't on the same scale(pun not intended) of this. There's quite a few who thinks he's better as a boss. Mewtwo doesn't have this issue. The hype levels would definitely not be the same. Never mind Mewtwo has been playable in many ways outside of Smash, which already makes him far more popular as playable alone. Ridley has never been playable beyond fangames at best. People are used to him as a boss. It's not surprising they think he's awesome as one and should stay that way.

D

Deleted member 245254

Not really. Mewtwo is severely popular and well known for wanting to playable. Ridley isn't on the same scale(pun not intended) of this. There's quite a few who thinks he's better as a boss. Mewtwo doesn't have this issue. The hype levels would definitely not be the same. Never mind Mewtwo has been playable in many ways outside of Smash, which already makes him far more popular as playable alone. Ridley has never been playable beyond fangames at best. People are used to him as a boss. It's not surprising they think he's awesome as one and should stay that way.
Your logic would only make sense if Ridley being playable would actually coax people to not buy the game. As long as there's something to gain from showing him it would seem like they would have at this point.

He won't be playable, though. Pretty much obvious.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Your logic would only make sense if Ridley being playable would actually coax people to not buy the game. As long as there's something to gain from showing him it would seem like they would have at this point.

He won't be playable, though. Pretty much obvious.
Actually, it would. If the Unpopular Opinions thread means anything, there's some who hate the idea of him being playable. It's incentive to not buy it. I almost didn't pick it up myself till I learned Miis were playable in some form. A good chunk of the cast weren't worth it to me. Of course, the game is amazing after I played it, so I'm glad I did, but not everybody cares how it plays and is strictly about the character choices. A game series that is pretty much advertised as All-Stars means that the character choices are relevant to purchases. And if it has a character someone hates, that alone can make them ignore a purchase. That's just how life is. Not the most logical reason to do so, but if the cast is important to them, that's their money and choice.

He probably won't be playable, that is. Making him almost like a playable character with DLC and fan demand? Being a hazard/assist when another character is both a Hazard and Playable? Doesn't make him likely, but he's far harder to count out now with these factors. I'm in wait and see mode, even if it amounts to nothing. But only due to just how he was handled. If he was a very normal Hazard(and Duck Hunt wasn't one at all), I'd just shrug and move on. Not the case. Regardless, with how often Sakurai changes his mind, he'd have to tell us there's no way he'll make Ridley playable for people to stop wanting it for SSB4. Period. That's pretty much exactly how it's going to be till SSB5.

D

Deleted member 245254

Actually, it would. If the Unpopular Opinions thread means anything, there's some who hate the idea of him being playable. It's incentive to not buy it. I almost didn't pick it up myself till I learned Miis were playable in some form. A good chunk of the cast weren't worth it to me. Of course, the game is amazing after I played it, so I'm glad I did, but not everybody cares how it plays and is strictly about the character choices. A game series that is pretty much advertised as All-Stars means that the character choices are relevant to purchases. And if it has a character someone hates, that alone can make them ignore a purchase. That's just how life is. Not the most logical reason to do so, but if the cast is important to them, that's their money and choice.

He probably won't be playable, that is. Making him almost like a playable character with DLC and fan demand? Being a hazard/assist when another character is both a Hazard and Playable? Doesn't make him likely, but he's far harder to count out now with these factors. I'm in wait and see mode, even if it amounts to nothing. But only due to just how he was handled. If he was a very normal Hazard(and Duck Hunt wasn't one at all), I'd just shrug and move on. Not the case. Regardless, with how often Sakurai changes his mind, he'd have to tell us there's no way he'll make Ridley playable for people to stop wanting it for SSB4. Period. That's pretty much exactly how it's going to be till SSB5.
More people would probably be inclined to strengthen their choice to buy it than those otherwise, that's why those opinions are in an unpopular opinions thread.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
People don't really hate the idea of Ridley being playable

They're just against things that get popular

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
More people would probably be inclined to strengthen their choice to buy it than those otherwise, that's why those opinions are in an unpopular opinions thread.
Oh, right, one of these arguments.

No, it doesn't strengthen any argument. It doesn't matter if the opinion is unpopular or not. If they refuse to buy it because of the roster, so be it. And it happens. In a roster driven game.

That's just dismissing valid opinions. Well, too bad, that's life and you'll have to live with the fact that some care more about the roster to the point of not buying than others. I was nearly there, let's not forget.

People don't really hate the idea of Ridley being playable

They're just against things that get popular
Nah, some people severely hate it(hey, they grew up with him being a boss, not that surprising). Just how it is. I sure as hell didn't want Palutena playable. Doesn't change she is. I wanted Medusa specifically. Hey, the more obvious choice happened.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh, right, one of these arguments.

No, it doesn't strengthen any argument. It doesn't matter if the opinion is unpopular or not. If they refuse to buy it because of the roster, so be it. And it happens. In a roster driven game.

That's just dismissing valid opinions. Well, too bad, that's life and you'll have to live with the fact that some care more about the roster to the point of not buying than others. I was nearly there, let's not forget.

Nah, some people severely hate it(hey, they grew up with him being a boss, not that surprising). Just how it is. I sure as hell didn't want Palutena playable. Doesn't change she is. I wanted Medusa specifically. Hey, the more obvious choice happened.
Bowser was always a boss and the first time he was playable people didn't go berserk

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Bowser was always a boss and the first time he was playable people didn't go berserk
And yet they are when it comes to Ridley. Also, Bowser was playable well before Smash, although in a lame Bootleg game instead. Never mind, Mario Kart. Ridley has never been playable in a Metroid game, which is a whole different story. Very bad comparison.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
And yet they are when it comes to Ridley. Also, Bowser was playable well before Smash, although in a lame Bootleg game instead. Never mind, Mario Kart. Ridley has never been playable in a Metroid game, which is a whole different story. Very bad comparison.
I missed Mario Kart

The first time I saw Bowser playable was Mario RPG

and I was excited to get this big boss on my side

Edit:

I just don't see why someone wouldn't be excited for finally having the power of this fierce boss on your side

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I missed Mario Kart

The first time I saw Bowser playable was Mario RPG

and I was excited to get this big boss on my side

Edit:

I just don't see why someone wouldn't be excited for finally having the power of this fierce boss on your side
Let's be fair; For Ridley, you have to severely downsize his imposing figure to do so. That removes his bad-ass-itude by a bit(word is rewritten due to the swear filter but making sure you understand it). Not that I have an issue with the downsizing, but others do. I can see their point. Bowser has had enough various sizes well before Smash and not due to limitations of the sprites that it's hardly an issue. Obviously Sakurai never once talked about his size being an issue. That doesn't means some fans hate the idea. It's all over Miiverse. The argument is not valid for Smash(Sakurai will resize if he wants to, and has anyway. Brawl's two Ridleys and the ones in Smash 4 are not the same sizes), but their reasons not wanting to see it happen still is.

D

Deleted member 245254

Let's be fair; For Ridley, you have to severely downsize his imposing figure to do so. That removes his bad-***-itude by a bit(word is rewritten due to the swear filter but making sure you understand it). Not that I have an issue with the downsizing, but others do. I can see their point. Bowser has had enough various sizes well before Smash and not due to limitations of the sprites that it's hardly an issue. Obviously Sakurai never once talked about his size being an issue. That doesn't means some fans hate the idea. It's all over Miiverse. The argument is not valid for Smash(Sakurai will resize if he wants to, and has anyway. Brawl's two Ridleys and the ones in Smash 4 are not the same sizes), but their reasons not wanting to see it happen still is.
I was against Ridley being playable the whole way, both theoretically and conceptually. Anyone from the Ridley thread knows that.

I can still recognize the implications that his playability would have on people's opinion of the game, and the effect on hype levels. It's actually rather absurd to assert that the announcement of a playable Ridley would detract more purchasers than buyers.

Last edited by a moderator:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I haven't really kept up with this thread for awhile so I'm not sure if this has been said but wouldn't any characters exclusive to the Wii U version solely for an increase in sales have been shown off by now? Like...hey let's put x character in the Wii U version and not the 3DS version so more people will buy the Wii U version because we really need to sell Wii Us! But let's also not tell anyone and let it only be known through word of mouth until we sheepishly "reveal" it several weeks after both the international release and the holiday season, thereby missing probably the most important sales season of the entire year!

Like I know that this game and all of its secrets will be blown open within a day of the North American release (or whenever street date is broken), but I feel like Nintendo would want exclusive characters to be known by now. And I know that any hypothetical exclusive characters would have to be unlockable at this point because we know the starting roster but they didn't have to be unlockable in the first place. I'm not saying there's no possible way that there are a few exclusive characters in the Wii U version, but it seems very unlikely at this point.

On a different note, the only character I would want/understand to be a strictly exclusive (meaning no later 3DS DLC) character would be the Ice Climbers, and only because they couldn't work on the 3DS version. It wouldn't really come off as screwing over 3DS players since it physically cannot be put in that version. Anyone only buying the 3DS version should know that, since it's on a waaaay less powerful system than its sister version, there's going to be a lot less content on it. If anything, deleting an already working version of the Ice Climbers from the Wii U is what's really "screwing over". Besides, it pretty much means that all the time they spent developing the Wii U version of the Ice Climbers was unnecessarily wasted (for the 3DS version it was still wasted but it had to be because they weren't able to finish).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I was against Ridley being playable the whole way, both theoretically and conceptually. Anyone from the Ridley thread knows that.

I can still recognize the implications that his playability would have on people's opinion of the game, and the effect on hype levels. It's actually rather absurd to assert that the announcement of a playable Ridley would detract more purchasers than buyers.
That'd be great if I ever asserted that once. What I said was that it will not hype up people on the same level that Mewtwo did. There's far less Mewtwo detractors than Ridley detractors, so the difference does exist and Ridley being playable would get less sales than Mewtwo does.

A playable Ridley alone would get more buyers. But not as much as Mewtwo, the entire context of my statement. I don't know if I was clear enough on that.

I haven't really kept up with this thread for awhile so I'm not sure if this has been said but wouldn't any characters exclusive to the Wii U version solely for an increase in sales have been shown off by now? Like...hey let's put x character in the Wii U version and not the 3DS version so more people will buy the Wii U version because we really need to sell Wii Us! But let's also not tell anyone and let it only be known through word of mouth until we sheepishly "reveal" it several weeks after both the international release and the holiday season, thereby missing probably the most important sales season of the entire year!

Like I know that this game and all of its secrets will be blown open within a day of the North American release (or whenever street date is broken), but I feel like Nintendo would want exclusive characters to be known by now. And I know that any hypothetical exclusive characters would have to be unlockable at this point because we know the starting roster but they didn't have to be unlockable in the first place. I'm not saying there's no possible way that there are a few exclusive characters in the Wii U version, but it seems very unlikely at this point.

On a different note, the only character I would want/understand to be a strictly exclusive (meaning no later 3DS DLC) character would be the Ice Climbers, and only because they couldn't work on the 3DS version. It wouldn't really come off as screwing over 3DS players since it physically cannot be put in that version. Anyone only buying the 3DS version should know that, since it's on a waaaay less powerful system than its sister version, there's going to be a lot less content on it. If anything, deleting an already working version of the Ice Climbers from the Wii U is what's really "screwing over". Besides, it pretty much means that all the time they spent developing the Wii U version of the Ice Climbers was unnecessarily wasted (for the 3DS version it was still wasted but it had to be because they weren't able to finish).
There will be no Wii U pure exclusives. Or 3DS pure exclusives. Let that idea go forever. Not happening. Timed Exclusives are possible, but unlikely. As I said before, why would they be ready for the Wii U version by not the 3DS version?

Although the wording in your first paragraph is odd. Did you mean that the Wii U "exclusive" would be revealed way later to be playable for the 3DS? That is possible, but not one most want to hear, since the longer you make them wait to know they're for the 3DS, the more you annoy customers.

Ice Climbers just aren't happening outside of both. Or anyone else, really. Sakurai's not going to do it. He's not going to screw over players. That's a key aspect of his decision. Just let it go. It's not understandable to do that. It's a cheap tactic to screw over 1/2 of the players to sell the Wii U. Not worth it. It'll only infuriate 3DS customers. Who don't want the Wii U version for whatever reason. Money can also be an issue. Both or none. It's logical and keeps the majority happy. Even if some just need to mature enough to realize they're no more important than any other customer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

That'd be great if I ever asserted that once. What I said was that it will not hype up people on the same level that Mewtwo did. There's far less Mewtwo detractors than Ridley detractors, so the difference does exist and Ridley being playable would get less sales than Mewtwo does.

A playable Ridley alone would get more buyers. But not as much as Mewtwo, the entire context of my statement. I don't know if I was clear enough on that.
You were not, because my point was that announcing both Mewtwo and Ridley as playable would and could only be an increase in over all hype levels compared to just Mewtwo. I wasn't comparing which would generate more hype individually. I'm speaking as if they were both theoretically revealed to be playable during the 50FE.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You were not, because my point was that announcing both Mewtwo and Ridley as playable would and could only be an increase in over all hype levels compared to just Mewtwo. I wasn't comparing which would generate more hype individually. I'm speaking as if they were both theoretically revealed to be playable during the 50FE.
Well, I was not replying that idea. Regardless, you know what I mean. I do agree Ridley along with Mewtwo would bump sales even more.

I am unsure how popular Hazard/Assist Ridley is, though. It has some fans, but the fact they mixed what's playable and non-playable like that means "Why not just make him playable?" instead. It's just a weird role that people question.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
Although the wording in your first paragraph is odd. Did you mean that the Wii U "exclusive" would be revealed way later to be playable for the 3DS? That is possible, but not one most want to hear, since the longer you make them wait to know they're for the 3DS, the more you annoy customers
I meant "reveal" as more along the lines of "they aren't secrets any more so we'll include them in promotional stuff now", like what they've been doing with the unlockable-on-the-3DS characters. The whole paragraph was more in regards to strictly exclusive characters, which I agree shouldn't really happen (except for Ice Climbers but their chances are very low). But even with timed-exclusives I feel like if there are any on the Wii U base game but coming to the 3DS via download later we still would have heard of them by now.

Ice Climbers just aren't happening outside of both. Or anyone else, really. Sakurai's not going to do it. He's not going to screw over players. That's a key aspect of his decision. Just let it go. It's not understandable to do that. It's a cheap tactic to screw over 1/2 of the players to sell the Wii U. Not worth it. It'll only infuriate 3DS customers. Who don't want the Wii U version for whatever reason. Money can also be an issue. Both or none. It's logical and keeps the majority happy. Even if some just need to mature enough to realize they're no more important than any other customer.
I'm not that huge of an Ice Climbers fan and while it was a shame to see them go I'm not, say, Ridley-level crazy about them being in the Wii U version. But how is it a "cheap tactic to screw over 1/2 the players"? It would be not deleting something that took development time so people who have the Wii U version don't miss out on something because the 3DS version exists (which honestly is closer to "screwing over" people). It's more of a gesture than a sales tactic. It's completely different than "let's put this character in the Wii U version only so people will buy it".

Also I feel like you're over-estimating how many people (at least those who know/care about the Ice Climbers) are only getting the 3DS version. It's definitely more than enough to justify keeping rosters as similar as possible but I wouldn't say it's half.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I meant "reveal" as more along the lines of "they aren't secrets any more so we'll include them in promotional stuff now", like what they've been doing with the unlockable-on-the-3DS characters. The whole paragraph was more in regards to strictly exclusive characters, which I agree shouldn't really happen (except for Ice Climbers but their chances are very low). But even with timed-exclusives I feel like if there are any on the Wii U base game but coming to the 3DS via download later we still would have heard of them by now.
Not really, though. Considering the only person who got a copy of the game was forced to not let out secrets via NDA, it's beyond likely that they're trying to keep it a secret till really close to release, if it's happening. I just don't believe there's enough time to have those extra characters(unless they were quick veteran clones like Pichu, perhaps).

I'm not that huge of an Ice Climbers fan and while it was a shame to see them go I'm not, say, Ridley-level crazy about them being in the Wii U version. But how is it a "cheap tactic to screw over 1/2 the players"? It would be not deleting something that took development time so people who have the Wii U version don't miss out on something because the 3DS version exists (which honestly is closer to "screwing over" people). It's more of a gesture than a sales tactic. It's completely different than "let's put this character in the Wii U version only so people will buy it".
It's a cheap tactic because getting the IC's to work on the 3DS could take ages to do. Compared to, well, anyone else outside of similar programming. So making the 3DS players wait a severely long time is a horrible way to sell the Wii U version. Giving someone like Ridley(for instance) would be incentive, and he'd be available very quickly for the 3DS version too. I won't pretend he's a great example, but he doesn't have A.I. issues. Just choose any really favorable character instead. Take the Brawl cuts. All of them could easily work, and at least one of them would probably be doable in about a 3 month time period(compared to a new character), so there'd be enough time to finish them for the Wii U release.

I'm a huge IC fan, keep in mind. But I also hate the idea of screwing over any player too. Far more. That's why I don't support separate rosters overall. Every player is equal and should have the same roster, no matter who they are. I might've been okay with it if Sakurai outright made it clear that the rosters are unique depending which version, but he went the opposing route. And for a roster driven game, I'd say it made perfect sense. They're both Smash 4, so having the same roster is logical.

Also I feel like you're over-estimating how many people (at least those who know/care about the Ice Climbers) are only getting the 3DS version. It's definitely more than enough to justify keeping rosters as similar as possible but I wouldn't say it's half.
Of course it's not exactly half. But nobody knows the numbers, so it's easy to divide them by two. It's just keeping it simple, since you can't get exact numbers. The playerbase split is real regardless.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman

So DHD is a hazard in the Duck Hunt stage for sure? If so that gives more credit to the idea of clone hazard/ classicplayable Ridley, as if Cranky DK and normal DK being on screen at once wasn't enough. Wish I still felt he had a good chance of that, but like you said it's not impossible.

Edit: Also did anyone have any luck tracking down that "leak" that said Ridley was both a hazard that joined whoever beat him on Pyrosphere but was also playable? I know damn well I saw such a rumor some time ago but I'll be damned if I can't find it now after that 50 thing extraveganza.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So DHD is a hazard in the Duck Hunt stage for sure? If so that gives more credit to the idea of clone hazard/ classicplayable Ridley, as if Cranky DK and normal DK being on screen at once wasn't enough. Wish I still felt he had a good chance of that, but like you said it's not impossible.

Edit: Also did anyone have any luck tracking down that "leak" that said Ridley was both a hazard that joined whoever beat him on Pyrosphere but was also playable? I know damn well I saw such a rumor some time ago but I'll be damned if I can't find it now after that 50 thing extraveganza.
I remember that rumor. I don't think it was Tower of Smash, though.

Okay, have you seen the Duck Hunt trailer? 8-Bit DK(A.K.A. Cranky) turned into modern DK. This means that the DK in 75m is the same one you play as for the purposes of Smash. Or at least that's a fair assumption.

Anyway, I think I understand how Sakuria might be doing it. He doesn't want models of the same character appearing in a match as an NPC while the playable PC exists. This is why Toon Link is replaced with Alfonzo. Yet, DK and DH are not in those stages, because they're 8-Bit. So, this may mean that Ridley may still not be playable. I agree with you, keep in mind, it proves that a hazard and playable are clearly possible. However, I think the issue might be there's no one to replace Ridley as the hazard/assist. On the other hand, maybe a very different version of Ridley could come up. Possibly made a sprite like Mr. Game & Watch is.

Interestingly enough, Skull Kid has two very distinct models. MM has the mask on, with different colors and clown shoes. While TP version has different colors, no mask at all, a slightly different straw hat, and regular shoes. If he wanted to make Skull Kid playable, he has a workable model that is distinct enough. Never mind pulling a Alfonzo and disabling the AT while SK is being played as. So the real question is this; Is there an extremely different model for Ridley that is easy to tell apart from Hazard/Assist Ridley and the same for Meta Ridley? Since it's pretty clear they can't just replace Ridley with another character in the stage due to his exact design. If he just swept in and grabbed someone, you could replace him, with say, a skeleton doing it.(inb4SkeletonRidleyAsAHazard/Assist).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I remember that rumor. I don't think it was Tower of Smash, though.

Okay, have you seen the Duck Hunt trailer? 8-Bit DK(A.K.A. Cranky) turned into modern DK. This means that the DK in 75m is the same one you play as for the purposes of Smash. Or at least that's a fair assumption.

Anyway, I think I understand how Sakuria might be doing it. He doesn't want models of the same character appearing in a match as an NPC while the playable PC exists. This is why Toon Link is replaced with Alfonzo. Yet, DK and DH are not in those stages, because they're 8-Bit. So, this may mean that Ridley may still not be playable. I agree with you, keep in mind, it proves that a hazard and playable are clearly possible. However, I think the issue might be there's no one to replace Ridley as the hazard/assist. On the other hand, maybe a very different version of Ridley could come up. Possibly made a sprite like Mr. Game & Watch is.

Interestingly enough, Skull Kid has two very distinct models. MM has the mask on, with different colors and clown shoes. While TP version has different colors, no mask at all, a slightly different straw hat, and regular shoes. If he wanted to make Skull Kid playable, he has a workable model that is distinct enough. Never mind pulling a Alfonzo and disabling the AT while SK is being played as. So the real question is this; Is there an extremely different model for Ridley that is easy to tell apart from Hazard/Assist Ridley and the same for Meta Ridley? Since it's pretty clear they can't just replace Ridley with another character in the stage due to his exact design. If he just swept in and grabbed someone, you could replace him, with say, a skeleton doing it.(inb4SkeletonRidleyAsAHazard/Assist).
If anything, SNES Ridley would be the playable one instead. I leave it open as a possibility but do not expect it to happen.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If anything, SNES Ridley would be the playable one instead. I leave it open as a possibility but do not expect it to happen.
And he's really distinct from Other M!Ridley? Because that needs to happen for them to both be on the screen at once. It might not be enough, if regular Link sets off the Alfonzo situation, though...

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
And he's really distinct from Other M!Ridley? Because that needs to happen for them to both be on the screen at once. It might not be enough, if regular Link sets off the Alfonzo situation, though...
Well honestly why not just turn off the Ridley hazard if someone is playing as Ridley. I mean I don't expect Ridley to happen since Sakurai just seems to not see him as playable for whatever reason, regardless of how he handled him (and making his boss hazard work almost exactly like a playable character...) but with the Alfonzo thing I don't think it too much a stretch to just remove a hazard from a stage if someone is using the playable character that the hazard stems from.

Seems like there's a lot of ways they could handle it to make both exist at least within the same game, even if not at the same time. Would be nice if they went out of their way to make it happen but I sadly don't expect it at this point any more. I do still think it possible though.

Folt

Smash Ace
Looking at the Duck Hunt Trailer, it doesn't look like Duck Hunt is a stage hazard as much as a background element.

VenomSymbiote

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the Duck Hunt Trailer, it doesn't look like Duck Hunt is a stage hazard as much as a background element.
Maybe he just comes out to laugh at people who get KO'd? Kinda funny if he does it even if he himself gets KO'd, heh. Still it's an instance of playable character being a part of a stage, much like DK and Link.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe he just comes out to laugh at people who get KO'd? Kinda funny if he does it even if he himself gets KO'd, heh. Still it's an instance of playable character being a part of a stage, much like DK and Link.
Duck Hunt's a trio. The Ducks and Hunter are the ones that attack according to the Gamexplain video. Just the Dog decides not to do a thing to hurt you(beyond mentally, anyway). Strange, but eh.

Folt

Smash Ace
The Dog does have some attacks, but they're typically not killing moves, so the hunter and the duck tend to be the breadwinners. That said, the dog tends to be the one who sets up for the duck and the hunter to do their thing (kicking the can for the hunter to shoot, positioning itself so the duck can get hits in, etc.) so it's not like the dog's slacking off.

And I'm going to guess that Duck Hunt's appearance as both a playable character and a background character is possible because it's supposed to reference how the original Duck Hunt game works, like how 75m is supposed to reference how Donkey Kong (the arcade game) worked.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The Dog does have some attacks, but they're typically not killing moves, so the hunter and the duck tend to be the breadwinners. That said, the dog tends to be the one who sets up for the duck and the hunter to do their thing (kicking the can for the hunter to shoot, positioning itself so the duck can get hits in, etc.) so it's not like the dog's slacking off.

And I'm going to guess that Duck Hunt's appearance as both a playable character and a background character is possible because it's supposed to reference how the original Duck Hunt game works, like how 75m is supposed to reference how Donkey Kong (the arcade game) worked.
8-Bit models. Easy to tell apart. However, this also applies to Ridley. He's supposed to show up in the Pyrosphere. (not going to pretend he has a good chance to be DLC, of course)I'm not sure how that hurts Ridley's chances if he's acting pretty close to how the "game" works. Even if he was playable, the stage is acting like normal. On the other hand, I think this version of Ridley might be severely different in how he acts on the Pyrosphere. Can someone confirm that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom