• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory of blocking in Brawl

goateeguy

Smash Ace
I havent seen a trailer with a character actually sheilding or blocking with the sheild ball thingy, but it seems as if the characters actually physically block. in this pic it seems as if snake is blocking zero suit samus's kick with his arm. check this link http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/51441520061124_133012_0_big.jpg

if anyone has seen a trailer or a screen with a character using their shield please repost in this thread
it's called a sidestep dodge dude.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wow, worldjem7, I am very impressed! Though I'm sure the shields will be more viewable when the game's launched, they've most likely toned down the visability for showing off the characters. But regardless, bravo!

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I still think the greatest benefit of removing Bubble shields is the visual effects. Noone in their right minds can think that the bubble shields look cool. Plus they make less sense than most of the other things in the game that don't make sense.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
You know, I never really thought much about the shield, this thread opened me up to that, and now I'm gonna be thinking too hard about it HaHa! But seriously, Intelligent threads, like this one, are hard to come by; like diamonds in the rough.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
I think he's rolling to the right.

I do think there will be blocking, because of the two images of Link, and the image of Ike, in that blocking stance. And in the Ike pic you even see the little light that appears when you block.

But in Melee if you powershield doesn't that not even bring up your shield? And if so does that mean they could have just been powershielding?

On second thought, the pictures of Link don't have the light to signify that he powershielded, and his opponents weren't making contact, so unless Link and Ike both have counter moves, I think there is definitely guarding in Brawl.

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
At about, I think 57 seconds in that video, it looks like Metaknight rolls, but I have yet to see the "invisible" bubble shield.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I had the same problem at that frame as well. My video editing program didn't allow me to view that frame so it is invisible. Luckily, it still let me capture Snake and Pit.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
I had the same problem at that frame as well. My video editing program didn't allow me to view that frame so it is invisible. Luckily, it still let me capture Snake and Pit.
I, personally, thought that metaknight was wavedashing. Unless there's a new form of rolling (as in, everyone dodges differently) I can't come to any other conclusion. I honestly think it'd help with the mind games if you don't see someone's shield up, but then again, the noobs will cry out "you're cheating, i hit you and did no damage" so it's a double edged sword in this case.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
screw the noobs, let them cry. They're probably going to play with their noob friends anyway. Any pro or semi-pro or basically anyone who has gotten themselves immersed in one way or another into the competitive scene of Smash will know that anything goes, nothing is cheap, if you have to do (insert move here) to win then that's what you have to do (not to be mean but it's just the truth).

About the rolling: Yes, it definitely looks like it will be different than what Melee rolling was like. Rolling backwards looks like it's more of a quick dash backwards(see Meta Knight and Pit) and rolling frontwards (see Snake) looks like it will be less laggy

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
All I got to say is this. There better not be a cheap trash parrying system, for this is the cheapest way to block for those who played Street Fighter III Strike and Capcom vs. Snk 2.

jambre

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone noticed this?
it looks like the animation for yoshi exiting his block, but it could be him exiting his >b

can anyone compare these to the animations in melee, i cant at the moment?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
Comparing this to the Melee animations It's similar to Yoshi exiting his block because his side-B exit animation has him kicking out one foot. Here he's just standing, like in Melee, and exiting his block. But, this is Yoshi. Everyone will expect yoshi to have his Eggshell Block it might not mean anything to the rest of the characters. It also could mean that a similar type of blocking will be implemented into brawl that was similar to melee. So maybe "bubbles" won't totally be leaving smash but from the footage we've seen from various other characters it seems like blocking will definitely change in some way.

Reno-Vgas

Smash Cadet
Well I don't remember seeing bubbles in the commercials or Trailers for ssb64 or melee, so what makes you think that its not going to be there just because of the trailer?

jambre

Smash Apprentice
well i think yoshi having the egg block reduces the likely hood of partial blocking

Frogla

Smash Ace
Comparing this to the Melee animations It's similar to Yoshi exiting his block because his side-B exit animation has him kicking out one foot. Here he's just standing, like in Melee, and exiting his block. But, this is Yoshi. Everyone will expect yoshi to have his Eggshell Block it might not mean anything to the rest of the characters. It also could mean that a similar type of blocking will be implemented into brawl that was similar to melee. So maybe "bubbles" won't totally be leaving smash but from the footage we've seen from various other characters it seems like blocking will definitely change in some way.
From that sort of logic taking from the trailer. Were also saying Lives are out which we know is false.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
From that sort of logic taking from the trailer. Were also saying Lives are out which we know is false.
What? I thought I left my post ambiguous enough for others to speculate and now you're saying my logic is twisted? I'm sorry if my post sounded a bit weird. All I meant was that anything could happen. But, since this...

Well I don't remember seeing bubbles in the commercials or Trailers for ssb64 or melee, so what makes you think that its not going to be there just because of the trailer?
... then I guess if this pattern is followed into Brawl then the blocking will be similar to it's predecessors.

The only thing that makes me think that the actual shielding will be different is the way the characters roll. They roll a lot more quickly than they did in Melee so maybe the blocking might be a bit different.

I'm not stating facts, I'm proposing possibilities. Please do not confuse the two.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
No they're not..... That's Link being hit by Diddy Kong, Link isn't shielding. If you noticed other screenshots and in the videos that that exact same "oval thing" appears whenever someone is hit.

Gannondorf the fifth

Smash Apprentice
No they're not..... That's Link being hit by Diddy Kong, Link isn't shielding. If you noticed other screenshots and in the videos that that exact same "oval thing" appears whenever someone is hit.
Exactly, still, you gotta wonder why hal labs is deciding to put an "aura" if you will, around a person indicating the direction he or she is flying in. It's like an unnecessary graphic to me.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I think that it might be part of the new physics system that Brawl has.

If you see and listen and compare the Hit sounds between the 3 games it's kinda like this:

SSB (N64): Most attacks are strong with very little stun sending them far

SSBM (NGC): Most attacks have some stun and only some attacks send people far

SSBB (Wii): Most attacks are hard-hitting but with much stun and only send people far with specific attacks

This is what it feels like to me from my own personal experiences and from the gameplay I've seen from the videos.

:034:

Smash Hero
The new Bubble Shield is shiny. I like it.

I'm wondering something though - in the second trailer, we've seen Snake rolling (very fast, I may add). And possibly Pit too (lightning fast, even). They did this without putting up the shield first, so how is rolling gonna work? You don't need a shield anymore? Perhaps a whole new button will be used for rolling (like L for rolling, R for shielding on the GC controller)? I was always curious about this, but this update got me even more itching for a 'How To Play - Shielding & Rolling' update.

Top Bottom