The Yo-kai Watch Mascot! (Jibanyan For Smash!) (Under New Management!)

This just in: Yo-kai Watch 4 is confirmed to be recieving an English release at some point. However, it seems to be early in development, as the trailer they showed at Anime Expo was in Japanese with English subtitles.
I'm more excited for that than I am for Pokemon sword and shield

Looma

Smash Journeyman
This just in: Yo-kai Watch 4 is confirmed to be recieving an English release at some point. However, it seems to be early in development, as the trailer they showed at Anime Expo was in Japanese with English subtitles.
Thank GOD, I need that Pokémon itch scratched and Sword and Shield are obviously not gonna cut it. I hope that YKW4 invigorates some western interest in Yo-Kai Watch after the unfortunate disaster that SwSh are looking to be.

fogbadge

Smash Hero
Thank GOD, I need that Pokémon itch scratched and Sword and Shield are obviously not gonna cut it. I hope that YKW4 invigorates some western interest in Yo-Kai Watch after the unfortunate disaster that SwSh are looking to be.
really? but its business is as usual with sword and shield

really? but its business is as usual with sword and shield
The hardcore Pokemon fandom is angry that Game freak is removing Pokemon from the game and how the graphics of the game just look like an upscaled 3DS.

I've seen people say that for the "first" console RPG Pokemon game, they really blew it. (Completely neglecting the fact that there have been 3 console Pokemon RPG's in the past.)

fogbadge

Smash Hero
The hardcore Pokemon fandom is angry that Game freak is removing Pokemon from the game and how the graphics of the game just look like an upscaled 3DS.

I've seen people say that for the "first" console RPG Pokemon game, they really blew it. (Completely neglecting the fact that there have been 3 console Pokemon RPG's in the past.)
well the national dex thing is upsetting, but perhaps it bit early to judge how the game looks when weve yet to see all of it

i assume they meant first core series rpg, not counting lets go

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I've seen people calling Jibanyan a "manga character" and i can't express enough how wrong that is.

Jibanyan is a videogame character, Yokai Watch was announced as a videogame first (2011) so it was intented to be a videogame series by Level-5 not a manga/anime series.

Just because a tie-in manga came out first to promote the videogame (said by Level-5 themselves) doesn't mean Jibanyan is magically a manga character when the videogame was announced first.

The diferencie between Yokai Watch and let's say Dragon Ball is that Yokai Watch was announced as a videogame (aka intented to be a videogame first and foremost) and Dragon Ball never had any videogame anouncement/release when the manga released, therefore making him an manga character.

Let's not forget Joker had an anime tie-in before Persona 5 came out, does that make Joker an anime character? no.
Because Persona 5 is a videogame first and foremost that just happened to have a anime tie-in before the game released to get more sales that's it.

And let's not forget that Level-5 themselves don't even count the manga for the anniversary, the 5th anniversary was in 2018 (aka 2013), if YW was truly a manga franchise then the 5th anniversary of YW would've been in 2017 (2012).

Last edited:
So apparently the first Yo-kai Watch is coming to the Switch. However, we don't currently know if it's a port or a remake. Still, if it helps with the series getting back on track, I'm all for it.

NNID
JDogindy
So apparently the first Yo-kai Watch is coming to the Switch. However, we don't currently know if it's a port or a remake. Still, if it helps with the series getting back on track, I'm all for it.
Mechanics-wise, they ported the first game to smartphones, so I am wondering how they can incorporate it onto the Switch. The one issue I have, though, is the balancing of brefriending Yo-Kai. This was particularly frustrating when it came to solving certain Question Boards who requested a specific Yo-Kai that had a low Friendship rate that weren't easy to find due to their ranking and requirements to be available, which was exasperated worse in Yo-Kai Watch 2 (looking at the Draggin' mission).

As for Yo-Kai Watch 4 coming here, I'm not surprised, but I am wondering about whether or not they'll dub or just sub. It's pretty clear the series is niche in the West, not to mention you now have to factor in a sequel series that Disney XD is most definitely not going to dub (otherwise it's going to be censored to heck and back) and a movie tie-in set in the past, along with additional plot aspects that tie in everything (such as Lord Enma being dusted by Soranaki and how Zazel/Nuraihiyon reacts to it, which isn't a spoiler; they used it to hype the game).