• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Yo-kai Watch Mascot! (Jibanyan For Smash!) (Under New Management!)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
This just in: Yo-kai Watch 4 is confirmed to be recieving an English release at some point. However, it seems to be early in development, as the trailer they showed at Anime Expo was in Japanese with English subtitles.
I'm more excited for that than I am for Pokemon sword and shield

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This just in: Yo-kai Watch 4 is confirmed to be recieving an English release at some point. However, it seems to be early in development, as the trailer they showed at Anime Expo was in Japanese with English subtitles.
good to know

Looma

Smash Journeyman
Thank GOD, I need that Pokémon itch scratched and Sword and Shield are obviously not gonna cut it. I hope that YKW4 invigorates some western interest in Yo-Kai Watch after the unfortunate disaster that SwSh are looking to be.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Thank GOD, I need that Pokémon itch scratched and Sword and Shield are obviously not gonna cut it. I hope that YKW4 invigorates some western interest in Yo-Kai Watch after the unfortunate disaster that SwSh are looking to be.
really? but its business is as usual with sword and shield

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
really? but its business is as usual with sword and shield
The hardcore Pokemon fandom is angry that Game freak is removing Pokemon from the game and how the graphics of the game just look like an upscaled 3DS.

I've seen people say that for the "first" console RPG Pokemon game, they really blew it. (Completely neglecting the fact that there have been 3 console Pokemon RPG's in the past.)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The hardcore Pokemon fandom is angry that Game freak is removing Pokemon from the game and how the graphics of the game just look like an upscaled 3DS.

I've seen people say that for the "first" console RPG Pokemon game, they really blew it. (Completely neglecting the fact that there have been 3 console Pokemon RPG's in the past.)
well the national dex thing is upsetting, but perhaps it bit early to judge how the game looks when weve yet to see all of it

i assume they meant first core series rpg, not counting lets go

TheGuv

Smash Apprentice
I've seen people calling Jibanyan a "manga character" and i can't express enough how wrong that is.

Jibanyan is a videogame character, Yokai Watch was announced as a videogame first (2011) so it was intented to be a videogame series by Level-5 not a manga/anime series.

Just because a tie-in manga came out first to promote the videogame (said by Level-5 themselves) doesn't mean Jibanyan is magically a manga character when the videogame was announced first.

The diferencie between Yokai Watch and let's say Dragon Ball is that Yokai Watch was announced as a videogame (aka intented to be a videogame first and foremost) and Dragon Ball never had any videogame anouncement/release when the manga released, therefore making him an manga character.

Let's not forget Joker had an anime tie-in before Persona 5 came out, does that make Joker an anime character? no.
Because Persona 5 is a videogame first and foremost that just happened to have a anime tie-in before the game released to get more sales that's it.

And let's not forget that Level-5 themselves don't even count the manga for the anniversary, the 5th anniversary was in 2018 (aka 2013), if YW was truly a manga franchise then the 5th anniversary of YW would've been in 2017 (2012).

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So apparently the first Yo-kai Watch is coming to the Switch. However, we don't currently know if it's a port or a remake. Still, if it helps with the series getting back on track, I'm all for it.

D

Deleted member

So apparently the first Yo-kai Watch is coming to the Switch. However, we don't currently know if it's a port or a remake. Still, if it helps with the series getting back on track, I'm all for it.
Mechanics-wise, they ported the first game to smartphones, so I am wondering how they can incorporate it onto the Switch. The one issue I have, though, is the balancing of brefriending Yo-Kai. This was particularly frustrating when it came to solving certain Question Boards who requested a specific Yo-Kai that had a low Friendship rate that weren't easy to find due to their ranking and requirements to be available, which was exasperated worse in Yo-Kai Watch 2 (looking at the Draggin' mission).

As for Yo-Kai Watch 4 coming here, I'm not surprised, but I am wondering about whether or not they'll dub or just sub. It's pretty clear the series is niche in the West, not to mention you now have to factor in a sequel series that Disney XD is most definitely not going to dub (otherwise it's going to be censored to heck and back) and a movie tie-in set in the past, along with additional plot aspects that tie in everything (such as Lord Enma being dusted by Soranaki and how Zazel/Nuraihiyon reacts to it, which isn't a spoiler; they used it to hype the game).

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I'm imagining trying to play the first Yokai watch on a switch and I'm crying inside.

The Battle system has to reworked quite a bit to get it working.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I don't support Jibanyan, but I would love to have him as an assist trophy. Because I don't want him to be playable as of now.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
From what I can tell, yes.
Although I don't support him, I watched the Yokai watch show back in the good old days.

Also, when I character who I detract from becomes an assist trophy, such as Yuri or Shovel Knight, it makes me happy.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I made sprites of Jibanyan as an assist trophy. He would be amazing in my opinion.
jibanyan assist trophy sprites.png

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Popularity according to Google Trends
Google Trends is a measure of popularity, although this isn't enough and that comparison criteria aren't always fair. It can't be completely representative.

In the World
Final Fantasy
> Sonic / Resident Evil > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > UNDERTALE > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb raider > Tekken > SimCity > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Rayman > Ninja Gaiden > Professor Layton / Ace Attorney > Project Zero > Bayonetta / Puyo Puyo > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Babylonian Castle Saga.
Yo-kai Watch = Persona > Castlevania > Bayonetta > Banjo-Kazooie.
If Yo-kai Watch would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 14/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 9/13 of third-party series having a Fighter.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Street Fighter > Harvest Moon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta / Professor Layton > Sonic > Bomberman > Castlevania > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / DOOM > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > Shantae > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie > Babylonian Castle Saga.
If Yo-kai Watch would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 3/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 2/13 of third-party series having a Fighter (link).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Popularity according to Google Trends
Google Trends is a measure of popularity, although this isn't enough and that comparison criteria aren't always fair. It can't be completely representative.

In the World
Final Fantasy
> Sonic / Resident Evil > Pac-Man > Dragon Quest > Monster Hunter > UNDERTALE > DOOM > Metal Gear > Street Fighter > Megaman / Tomb raider > Tekken > SimCity > The King of Fighters > Tales of > Persona / Devil May Cry / Yo-kai Watch > Harvest Moon > Crash Bandicoot > Bomberman > Tamagotchi > Castlevania > Rayman > Ninja Gaiden > Professor Layton / Ace Attorney > Project Zero > Bayonetta / Puyo Puyo > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie > Virtua Fighter > Ganbare Goemon / Shantae > Babylonian Castle Saga.
Yo-kai Watch = Persona > Castlevania > Bayonetta > Banjo-Kazooie.
If Yo-kai Watch would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 14/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 9/13 of third-party series having a Fighter.

In Japan
Dragon Quest
> Monster Hunter > Yo-kai Watch > Final Fantasy > Tales of > Resident Evil > Metal Gear / Persona > Megaman / Tekken > Puyo Puyo > Tamagotchi > Ace Attorney > Devil May Cry > Street Fighter > Harvest Moon > Project Zero > UNDERTALE > The King of Fighters > SimCity > Bayonetta / Professor Layton > Sonic > Bomberman > Castlevania > Pac-Man > Tomb Raider > Virtua Fighter / DOOM > Ninja Gaiden > Crash Bandicoot > Ganbare Goemon > Shantae > Rayman > Shovel Knight > Banjo-Kazooie > Babylonian Castle Saga.
If Yo-kai Watch would be a new series in Smash Bros, it would be ranked 3/24 of all third-party series (without Spirit nor Pac-Man moves), or 2/13 of third-party series having a Fighter (link).
why are you going around posting this in so many threads?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The observation of one series is different of another. Especially concerning Yo-kai Watch. Why this question ?
but everyone knows ones series is different from another we're not in that much denial

D

Deleted member

The observation of one series is different of another. Especially concerning Yo-kai Watch. Why this question ?
It's due in large part to the fact there's being a fan and being potentially a pain in the butt. I mean, I'm all for Jibanyan and Yo-Kai Watch in Smash Bros., (and the news has sure helped with that), but there are factors that also don't help the franchise. It's all about maintaining a healthy level of awareness while making sure you don't get upset if it doesn't happen.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
So here's an odd turn of events: apparently Yo-kai Watch 4 is getting a PS4 port.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Here's an update of the Google Trends ranking, by averaging world/japanese results
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web. A Google search also makes something unknown become known. Like or don't like a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture.
With Google Trends, it would have been easy to predict SMT/Persona, Dragon Quest and, to a lesser extent, The King of Fighters.

______

01 - Minecraft
02 - Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest / Monster Hunter / Resident Evil
03 - Overwatch / Kingdom Hearts
05 - Metal Gear > *****Yo-kai Watch*****
Note: According to Google Trends, Jibanyan is currently the most popular third-party toony animal. The last game on Switch is noted 37/40 by Famitsu, but it's difficult to interpret the PS4 port.
- Megaman / Tales / Tekken
06 - Persona / Assassin's Creed
07 - Street Fighter / UNDERTALE > Dynasty Warriors
08 - Sonic > Devil May Cry / Souls / Digimon / Tamagoshi / Halo / Story of Seasons

14 - The King of Fighters / Pac-Man / SimCity > Ace Attorney / "loose JRPG" (Phantasy Star, Disgaea, Suikoden, Ys, Mystery Dungeon) / Guilty Gear / DOOM / Puyo Puyo / Tomb Raider / Professor Layton

The rest of the ranking is this:
Project Zero > Bomberman > Castlevania > NieR > Dead or Alive > Crash Bandicoot > Bayonetta > Ōkami / SoulCalibur > Ninja Gaiden > Rayman > Momotaro Dentetsu > Virtua Fighter > Bubble Bobble > The Tower of Druaga > Shovel Knight > Ganbare Goemon / Katamari / No More Heroes > Banjo-Kazooie > Shantae.
Note: the characters of this end of list only seem possible by support of the Smash community (including the ballot). The three who became Fighters (Castlevania / Bayonetta / Banjo-Kazooie) are more or less designated as ballot choices. Ditto for the western trio appeared in Ultimate (Rayman - Shovel Knight - Shantae).

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here's an update of the Google Trends ranking, by averaging world/japanese results
This is a popularity comparison based on Google searches, although this isn't enough and the comparison criteria aren't always fair. Google is the most used search engine in the US, Europe and Japan (+90%), and is therefore mainly representative of searches on the web. A Google search also makes something unknown become known. Like or don't like a series have the same result to advance the series in the popular culture.
With Google Trends, it would have been easy to predict SMT/Persona, Dragon Quest and, to a lesser extent, The King of Fighters.

______

01 - Minecraft
02 - Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest / Monster Hunter / Resident Evil
03 - Overwatch / Kingdom Hearts
05 - Metal Gear > *****Yo-kai Watch*****
Note: According to Google Trends, Jibanyan is currently the most popular third-party toony animal. The last game on Switch is noted 37/40 by Famitsu, but it's difficult to interpret the PS4 port.
- Megaman / Tales / Tekken
06 - Persona / Assassin's Creed
07 - Street Fighter / UNDERTALE > Dynasty Warriors
08 - Sonic > Devil May Cry / Souls / Digimon / Tamagoshi / Halo / Story of Seasons

14 - The King of Fighters / Pac-Man / SimCity > Ace Attorney / "loose JRPG" (Phantasy Star, Disgaea, Suikoden, Ys, Mystery Dungeon) / Guilty Gear / DOOM / Puyo Puyo / Tomb Raider / Professor Layton

The rest of the ranking is this:
Project Zero > Bomberman > Castlevania > NieR > Dead or Alive > Crash Bandicoot > Bayonetta > Ōkami / SoulCalibur > Ninja Gaiden > Rayman > Momotaro Dentetsu > Virtua Fighter > Bubble Bobble > The Tower of Druaga > Shovel Knight > Ganbare Goemon / Katamari / No More Heroes > Banjo-Kazooie > Shantae.
Note: the characters of this end of list only seem possible by support of the Smash community (including the ballot). The three who became Fighters (Castlevania / Bayonetta / Banjo-Kazooie) are more or less designated as ballot choices. Ditto for the western trio appeared in Ultimate (Rayman - Shovel Knight - Shantae).
what is the point youre trying to make with this? i dont follow

Ornl

Smash Ace
what is the point youre trying to make with this? i dont follow
This ranking can be used for personal observations. Mine is a series can both be very popular, and very unexpected by the Smash communty : Persona, Dragon Quest (Erdrick was only the 3rd favorite among the "Seven Square" for a long time), and The King of Fighters. It expresses that Yo-kai Watch and Story of Seasons have a similar configuration.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
This ranking can be used for personal observations. Mine is a series can both be very popular, and very unexpected by the Smash communty : Persona, Dragon Quest (Erdrick was only the 3rd favorite among the "Seven Square" for a long time), and The King of Fighters. It expresses that Yo-kai Watch and Story of Seasons have a similar configuration.
im not really sure trending on google is a good indicator of somethings popularity, i mean people could be googling it for all sorts of reasons

Top Bottom