• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The worst recovery?

Phoxhound

Smash Cadet
Baltimore, MD (in a worm hole during summers)
3DS FC
2707-1679-3227
A while back, I was a Wolf player. I was merely average, but I was doing my best to learn, watching general tactics vids of guys like Gimpyfish to improve my knowledge of the game. And once I started to take Wolf's game from using the online-style Wolf Technique to the more professional aerial game to exploit his excellent Meteor and Bair, I found myself SDing about 55% of the time I attempted to use my recovery move. I got so fed up that I quit Wolf and haven't played him since. Which leads me to my question.

Who do YOU think has the worst recovery of all?

My vote goes to Wolf if you didn't guess.

JCrest87

Smash Journeyman
A while back, I was a Wolf player. I was merely average, but I was doing my best to learn, watching general tactics vids of guys like Gimpyfish to improve my knowledge of the game. And once I started to take Wolf's game from using the online-style Wolf Technique to the more professional aerial game to exploit his excellent Meteor and Bair, I found myself SDing about 55% of the time I attempted to use my recovery move. I got so fed up that I quit Wolf and haven't played him since. Which leads me to my question.

Who do YOU think has the worst recovery of all?

My vote goes to Wolf if you didn't guess.
Well see the first problem I see from you is that you're trying to use "professional aerial game" with a character who has "weak recovery" and the second problem I see is you're trying to use the "online-style" which is AKA bad gameplay, never apply online play seriously because it will not make you better against your friends ......:dizzy: okaaayyyy? First let me explain that Wolf has an excellent Bair, not an excellent Dair. Spiking with Wolf is one of the harder things to do in Smash. Wolf is a character that should be played on the stage, by no means should you jump off and try to spike with him. I'm surprised you didn't realize that after you suicided about 55% of the time :laugh:

As for character with worst recovery? duh no brainer. Olimar and Ivysaur only have teather recovery which means if they are not in 2nd jump distance of the stage they die from edgehog.

D13

Smash Ace
Yeah, Ivysaur sounds about right. Link's recovery surprisingly terrible in Brawl, but it's not the worst.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yoshi. He has no extra jump or Up B recovery. He is limited in options and therefore doesn't have a lot of room for variation in recovery.

His come back's suck.

Florida

イーグランツ
Olimar, Ivysaur, and Zero Suit Samus automatically have the worst recoveries in the game. Although, not quite as much for Zero Suit Samus, as she can use her down special to aid her recovery and can use her up special multiple times. Olimar and Ivysaur are just screwed.

Wolf's air-mobility isn't great, but his recovery is far better than theirs. As for Pit having one of the best recoveries, he can be too easily gimped. Once you are hit while using your up special, you can't use it any longer. Meteor smashes slaughter Pit. ROB has my vote on the best recovery.

EDIT: @below:

Ivi has a great recovery if you know how to use him and don't allow for yourself to be edgehogged.
Knowing how to use him has nothing to do with it. When it comes to the point where you're being edgehogged and you're forced to rely on your up special for recovery, you're basically screwed. "Not allowing yourself to be edgehogged" is also an odd thing to say. Everyone should try and not allow themselves to be edgehogged, but it's going to happen eventually. For characters such as ROB, they're pretty much safe. Ivysaur and Olimar and Zamus, on the other hand, will have a more tricky time with it.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Ivi has a great recovery if you know how to use him and don't allow for yourself to be edgehogged.

I'm a PT main and i've used him thousands of times (literally , i've got 1300 battles only in the online department) and i always start with ivi...and from my experience his recovery is very good and reliable.

Wolf's recovery has the problem that when you fall he has like no control and just goes down straight...and heavy chars like bowser and D.kong don't really recover all that much...if they're just a bit below the edge the recovery doesn't always bring em up to the edge

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Zamus recovery the worst? Hmm I wouldn't think so at all. She has too many options(Down B, Wall Jump, UP B,footstool jump just to name some of them) and edgehogging her can be very difficult.

But on the opposite end of the rainbow. She can edgehog others way easier than other characters as well.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur hands down, at least Olimar's potential teather can have incredible reach.

ROB has hands down the best, he can pretty much get offscreen with his UpB alone even without jumping.
After him I'm not sure if it's Pit or MetaKnight.

Thulius

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thulius
I don't see why anyone would say Yoshi. Egg throw can be used before and after his second jump, providing both a huge boost to his horizontal recovery as well as a projectile with a curved trajectory to counter edgeguards/hogs. Worst goes to Ivysaur easily. I'd say Link/Wolf are worst if you exclude tether recoveries.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
I'm pretty Sure anyone with a tether recovery are screwed, in order of worse:
Ivysaur
Olimar (depends how much pikmin he has with him)
ZSS
I Thought wario was one of the worse,Up-b alone Is just terrible, but combined with the jump of the bike, which is bigger than his up-b anyway, makes up for it!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The character with the worst recovery has to be Ike. He falls fast and his third jump only works for vertical recoveries, which is bad if Ike is sent flying sideways. Quick Draw wouldn't be of much help either since you don't have time to charge it up while airborne.

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
The character with the worst recovery has to be Ike. He falls fast and his third jump only works for vertical recoveries, which is bad if Ike is sent flying sideways. Quick Draw wouldn't be of much help either since you don't have time to charge it up while airborne.
wrong, he has lots of time to recover with quick draw and his vertical aether can bring u back too, i underestimated his recovery at first, buts its not that bad
his recovery is not the best but its not the worst.
yoshi does have a third jump, for his egg throw has more momentum, and his 2nd jump already goes exceptionally high, its bad, not the worst
zamus can use her up b a few times making her a little better than olimar and ivysaur
the worst are olimar and ivysaur, they just cant recover
but overall, most char's recoveries are BROKEN!

Adriel

Smash Journeyman
Ivysaur has a very quick tether; I wouldn't say he has the worst recovery. I think Olimar's recovery is a little bit worse because it is dependent on how many Pikmin you have. Also, Ivysaur can side b whenever to get someone off the ledge while Olimar can only do it with Purple Pikmin.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Olimar has the worst recovery. Fewer Pikmin = shorter recovery. Then Ivysaur. Then ZSS. (but we don't let that stop us does it boys?!)

Waggles

Smash Apprentice
Definitely olimar, he's just too easy to edgehog, and doesn't have much of a reach if all of his pikmin arent with him

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
A tie Between 0-Pikmin Olimar and Lone IC.
BTW, its just since you suicide with Wolf at lot since he falls the fastest.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
olimar.

you people are comparing between a olimar with all 6 pikmen and a ivi, which in my opinon sounds stupid.
Sure olimar can pluck his pikmen pretty quick but they can be killed and plus once olimar dies he starts at 0 pikmen again which causes most of the time a 'forced' pluck. With that being counted it goes to olimar.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
I'd have to say Olimar has the worst recovery. His tether with 6 pikmin may be longer than Ivysaur's, but more than likely he won't have all 6 pikmin. I'd have to say the characters with the worst recoveries are:

Olimar
Ivysaur
Popo
ZSS

pirateguru

Smash Apprentice
Olimar and bulbasaur. grabbing the ledge is pretty much death to them if they cant make it to the board just on their jumps. especially olimar if he doesn't have pikmen

khepri

Smash Lord
I think Olimar has the worst, way too easy to edgehog.

I honestly think ZSS has a reasonably normal recovery. If you're afraid of getting edgehogged you have so many options. If you come in high enough you can either scare the other off with side-b or down-b on to the level or you can fast fall to side-b sweetspot the ledge before the opponent can. If you're coming in low you it's harder to get back, but sometimes her up-b can reach the opponent and drag them down with her.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's Ivysaur.

Bad DI and tether recovery. FAIL.

Olimar wins over Ivysaur because he can DI.

Well. Olimar and Ivysaur is a no-brainer.

Besides them, I'd go for Mario.
Mario's recovery is GOOD. Decent distance, projectile spam, Cape, and hard to intercept Up-B. He can also U-air to discourage spiking.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
I'll just knock out the obvious ones first and foremost. Ivysaur and Olimar win this debate hands down, Olimar in particular. The fact that he has to sacrifice his recovery distance by throwing his Pikmin at edgehoggers is ridiculous. He might flat out rock on the actual stage, but once he's thrown off, he's done. :p

I'm going to throw Mario out there, too. The fact that that the Jumpman himself doesn't have the best recovery in the game continues to baffle me.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Falcon already had a bad recovery in melee but taking out second jump recovery just ****ed him over even further. But I'll have to say ivysaur and olimar also.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm going to throw Mario out there, too. The fact that that the Jumpman himself doesn't have the best recovery in the game continues to baffle me.
His recovery isn't the best, but it gets the job done well. Mario's recovery is GOOD in Brawl srsly.

Top Bottom