• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The WFTGD: How About Some Deep Breathing?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
What kind of combos does WFT have? When I play him, I can never figure out which moves lead into which. I just bait with SS and punish with jabs and f-tilts. What else can I do?

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if anybody figured this out yet but it only works on tall to mid size characters and at low percentage.
SH Airdodge-->Buffered Uair --> Fair/Nair/Uair.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
How do you want to play?

Their kits have quite a few similarities here and there but they excel and fall short in vastly different areas.

I'm not sure if anybody figured this out yet but it only works on tall to mid size characters and at low percentage.
SH Airdodge-->Buffered Uair --> Fair/Nair/Uair.
This actually made me really mad when I found it because it made me realize that WFT might have been able to string uairs similar to ZSS if she had a proper dthrow.

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
How do you want to play?

Their kits have quite a few similarities here and there but they excel and fall short in vastly different areas.
A character that has good projectiles, has good kill power, combos, and a kill throw. A zoning character that can be played aggressively

Last edited:

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
I know this isn't the custom thread but dude heavy header is a god like move. Out of header cancel you can confirm anything you could dream of.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
Do you want me to make a video of what is this thing capable of? Dude its a mid range combo and kill confirm.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Haha, no wonder you're having issues. That's pretty much both of them. Why not run Robin with no customs and WFT with since Robin's custom game is a bit lacking while default WFT has notable issues against tiny characters?

I think JohnNumbers did/does something similar.

I know this isn't the custom thread but dude heavy header is a god like move. Out of header cancel you can confirm anything you could dream of.
I know!
And it disappears so fast it essentially gives Wft an abusable spacing tool in the neutral.
(':

Definitely up there with Jumbo Hoops.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
What do people think about :4wiifit: vs :4yoshi:?

I've been trying to solve the matchup versus that fastidious little dino and while I don't think he has any major weaknesses, Wii Fit seems to enjoy a lot of his properties as an opponent. Number 1): he's not ****ing short.

Also, Sun Salutation and Header can actively challenge eggs. They can be a major problem versus anyone not quick enough to get in, since Yoshi can usually act before his opponent. But Wii Fit can just throw **** back. Hmm.

Ugly things about the matchup would be that her jab (frame 4) is slower than his (frame 3). And her aerials aren't really going to get her out of Yoshi's juggles (nair: frame 3, uair: frame 5). Wii Fit's Bair (frame 5) can maybeeeee trade with uair? :[

But that's early game footsies. When it comes to high percents, Yoshi is going to be going for scary fast uair kills, but on the ground, we'll most likely be challenging his smashes (dsmash: frame 7, usmash: 11, fsmash: 14) with our forever lovely ftilt (frame 6 yeaaaaa).

Can he duck ftilt? Please tell me nooooooo.

She's an interesting choice against him overall. Something I'm pondering. Do yall have opinions on this?

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Question. How has WFT gained so many places up the Eventhubs tier list? Are more people just discovering her potential? Has the last balance patch helped her significantly?

Let me know if this question belongs better in the competitive thread.

crisspy727

Smash Apprentice
I personally think you should ignore it since it could be filled with people who lack knowledge of a lot of characters for example Link is consider higher than Diddy Kong and for damn well Diddy should still be top 5.

AscWolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AscWolf
Question. How has WFT gained so many places up the Eventhubs tier list? Are more people just discovering her potential? Has the last balance patch helped her significantly?

Event Hubs is community voted and cannot be taken serious.
Just don't waste any mind on it

⑨ball

Smash Ace
What kind of combos does WFT have? When I play him, I can never figure out which moves lead into which. I just bait with SS and punish with jabs and f-tilts. What else can I do?
The Power of Fitness combo guide

Wii Fit Combos

^Good places to start.

Eventhubs' tier list is trash. As is Reddit's though it's much better by comparison. Last patch did diddly. WFT's got the same small amount players placing infrequently but well, so if people are just discovering her potential I have no idea why.

What do people think about :4wiifit: vs :4yoshi:?

I've been trying to solve the matchup versus that fastidious little dino and while I don't think he has any major weaknesses, Wii Fit seems to enjoy a lot of his properties as an opponent. Number 1): he's not ****ing short.

Also, Sun Salutation and Header can actively challenge eggs. They can be a major problem versus anyone not quick enough to get in, since Yoshi can usually act before his opponent. But Wii Fit can just throw **** back. Hmm.

Ugly things about the matchup would be that her jab (frame 4) is slower than his (frame 3). And her aerials aren't really going to get her out of Yoshi's juggles (nair: frame 3, uair: frame 5). Wii Fit's Bair (frame 5) can maybeeeee trade with uair? :[

But that's early game footsies. When it comes to high percents, Yoshi is going to be going for scary fast uair kills, but on the ground, we'll most likely be challenging his smashes (dsmash: frame 7, usmash: 11, fsmash: 14) with our forever lovely ftilt (frame 6 yeaaaaa).

Can he duck ftilt? Please tell me nooooooo.

She's an interesting choice against him overall. Something I'm pondering. Do yall have opinions on this?
I don't have enough experience against any good Yoshis to call any numbers but I'd imagine it's slightly in his favor. Eggs aren't a big deal for WFT, but having a shield that can't be shield poked makes zoning pretty unrewarding here, meaning SS'll mainly be used for countering eggs and footsies. This is all fine and good, but when it comes to landing the kill, Yoshi has enough air mobility to never have to deal with the 50/50 landing game, nair is pretty good in air to air situations limiting uair kills, and has a superarmor second jump that carries momentum through airdodges taking away our easiest kill methods of spikes and trumps.
The same can be said for him as his offstage game excluding eggs isn't too big a threat and carries the huge risk of counter gimps, and onstage he has to commit very hard to land a decent hit that isn't nair(which is dangerous enough in itself with SS and usmash covering the approach angles). However, he lives longer due to weight and hits harder in the air when he does. Not sure if he can duck ftilt, but it wouldn't be as much as an issue here as it is vs Kirby. Might be best to just camp it out as much as possible and punish commitments.

Once on eventhubs lucina was #2 and Marth wasn't #1
That was waifu week and Marth never has dinner waiting on the table.

Speaking of, @ ぱみゅ ぱみゅ , your silent protest hurts. Lucy and the bat>purple block.
)':

Last edited:

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Good answers, gaiz. The Eventhubs list being trash and all, why do you think so many people have voted her up?

Posting here because I've seen discussion about it in two other threads so shrug

DB does not buff your running speed, but it does either

-allow you to enter you max walking speed sooner

or

-buff your max walking speed

or

-both maybe

I tested two WFTs, one under the effects of DB, and the other not. I created a custom stage with two long platforms of equal horizontal distance parallel to each other. I had them both roll to the edge of their respective platforms, then initiated DB with one. After that, I had them begin charging SS on the same frame, then release it on the same frame, and held forward on both controllers' analogue sticks during the release animation so I wouldn't buffer a dash, but they would begin walking on the same frame both reach their max walk speed at the same time (which they did when I tested w/o DB). When you do this under normal circumstances there are 19F of an "initial walk" animation which is slower before they enter the max walk speed animation on F20. DBWFT entered max walk speed sooner, and seemed to stay the same distance ahead of vWFT until the end, though it seemed she was inching farther ahead just a little bit, which would suggest an increased walk speed rather than just a decreased max walk startup. I'll test for this again.

Btw when I was testing if it affects run speed, WFT takes 92F to cross Battlefield, from the first frame of dashing at one edge of the stage (by rolling into it), to the very first frame before she enters her falling animation off of the opposite edge (begins falling on F93). Why didn't they make it so it buffs her running speed?...

More stuff that I will eventually add to my hitbox data thread:

-Sun Salutation takes 103F (1.7167S) to fully charge (begins charge end animation on F103)
-Earliest you can cancel the charge is F17 (shields/grabs/rolls/airdodges input on F17-onwards will begin execution on the very next frame, just like any other action from neutral)
-FAF for launching a Sun Salutation (any charge, from neutral or from charge, grounded or aerial) is F56
-Airdodge landing lag is actually 21F, not 22.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Speaking of, @ ぱみゅ ぱみゅ , your silent protest hurts. Lucy and the bat>purple block.
)':
It's crushing because it matched my two mains and I love to wonder how silly their relationship would be, to the point that, if I could digitalize my drawings, I'd seriously work on an avatar (I'm not too bad at drawing myself).
But yes, this a project I'm not dropping just yet.

@ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans The other day I noticed I mostly play characters with good walking speeds, and you just gave me another reason to put a lot more work on WFT. Thank you! ♥

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Have you seen my footstool set up with Weighted Head that's pretty dumb.
I did. (:<
I was talking to Fancykong about that setup in his last thread. If it forced a neutral getup it would be godlike. Even still, jumbo hoops and SS' on roll chases aren't bad at all~

This would explain me thinking DB made her run speed faster. I probably noticed the walk and assumed they wouldn't be ridiculous and only apply it to her walk.

Thanks for your hard work as always, Indigo.

@SafCar and @NirvanaNexus
I also got to take a look at 1.01 on 3DS (could have sworn we started on 1.03, this might have been the Wii U I'm thinking of) and this has been in since launch. So while it's a legit thing, it's not a recent change.

On an interesting note, this works nicely with Rtacc.

It's crushing because it matched my two mains and I love to wonder how silly their relationship would be, to the point that, if I could digitalize my drawings, I'd seriously work on an avatar (I'm not too bad at drawing myself).
But yes, this a project I'm not dropping just yet.

@ Indigo Jeans Indigo Jeans The other day I noticed I mostly play characters with good walking speeds, and you just gave me another reason to put a lot more work on WFT. Thank you! ♥
I don't how those two got paired up but I love it. Lucina in general is love, but that duo is hnnnnggg inducing to the max. Way better than the Pika/Samus thing that cropped up during Brawl's era. I'd love to see your drawing if you ever put them up some way. Definitely tag me or send me a pm if you do.

I understand. I hope something positive comes of it. If nothing else a clearer distinction on what's ok and what's not would be nice.

In the mean time:

Last edited:
Lucina and Meta Knight are so ****ing kawaii together.

Also posting here since I don't remember which thread it was brought up in, but DB momentum transferring to the ground has been out since v1.0.4 or v1.05, I don't remember. But I could have sworn that I mentioned it on these boards then...

Edit:

WFT's Header landing lag cancel still works.

Sun Salutation GFX have been changed (made "flashier")

NAir 1 combos seem to be unchanged.

Sadly it seems that Deep Breathing's momentum glitch is out.

Deep Breathing's damage multiplier seems to have been made constant rather than decrease as it did in v1.0.4 when you had penalties (it is always 1.16, rather than decaying to 1.15 on consecutive uses). However, the percent healed is still 2% with less penalties, 1% with more. Since penalty mechanics are still a bit unclear I can't say with total certainty but it seems that the number of penalties you can have and still heal 2% has been increased. Damage taken mutliplier is still 0.9
whoops, I lied, I only posted in the patch thread, aha...

Last edited:

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I've been considering this unusual gameplan for this character centered around Deep Breathing. I always get nervous at tournaments, and so finally with Wii Fit there's a benefit to taking an actual second to stop for a moment and take a deep breath to center yourself.

Except do it in-game, and IRL as well.

The Zen Gameplan
  • never approach
  • focus on resolving Deep Breathing (start of match, after big hits, absolutely whenever possible)
  • deep breath with WFT in person (literally. follow the circles. focus on being calm)
Try it hahaha. It helps with nerves and it's a good change of pace that no other character can really access.

That sounds like a legit good idea. Reminds me of how an IC main in the Brawl era suggested listening to music with a loud, medium paced beat to help get chaingrabs down.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
That sounds like a legit good idea. Reminds me of how an IC main in the Brawl era suggested listening to music with a loud, medium paced beat to help get chaingrabs down.
I heard that too. And then I heard the counter strategy was to try to listen to their music and purposefully play off beat. lmao

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Huge header seems very interesting. It's a great combo starter and I think you can combo them after they get hit with it. It's also good for extending combos like when you hit them into the ball, it usually allows another aerial. Extra stage control is nice.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Huge is very good. It's just inferior to weighted for a couple reasons. I think it's better in certain matchups and is the hypest/most fluid of all her headers.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I really like Weighted Header because it improves both her offensive(strong projectile, great angle for edgeguards, autocancel tech allows for pressure) and defensive(downwards angled projectile, air stall) capabilities.

The only thing it lacks in is helping Wii Fit get back to the stage the way Header and Huge Header do, but I believe that it's not really necessary with her extraordinarily maneuverable recovery in Jumbo Hoop and ability to fire Salutations back to the stage if she really needs to cover her recovery.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I think For Glory Nesses are getting dumber...
They keep trying to absorb my headers with PSI Magnet. I even used ONLY header against 1 Ness, and he still tried to absorb it.
Why is every Ness doing this all of a sudden? It makes the game easier for me, but, like why?

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
I fine Steady Breathing interesting. @ John12346 John12346 In the tournament today you airdodge canceled Deep Breathing a lot, Steady breathing is better for that because you can airdodge faster and that it wont make the move charge slower.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I fine Steady Breathing interesting. @ John12346 John12346 In the tournament today you airdodge canceled Deep Breathing a lot, Steady breathing is better for that because you can airdodge faster and that it wont make the move charge slower.
Woah really? Why is that? It really doesn't make the long-recharging Breath start over slow? That is notable.

Also JohnNumbers, great job in the tournament tonight and thanks for dropping all that knowledge on the mic.
http://www.twitch.tv/rushhoursmash/v/4523922

DID YOU GUYS SEE GRAND FINALS? JV 2 STOCKED.
"YOU FOOL!!" - Keitaro, 00:14:45

JohnNumbers has started the long and unavoidable road to the year P90XX.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Can I just drop in to say that watching Johnny Numbers win grand finals was one of the most exciting things I've seen in a while? Like, wow. I've never seen anyone make WFT move like that. And dang is that custom hoop a great move. And that shield break! LOL

Good times, good times.

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I have a strange problem.
I like doing reverse B Sun Salutations, but I sometimes accidentally reverse B. And by sometimes, I mean way too often...
So any tips on how to NOT reverse B? XD

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Leave the control stick/circle pad alone while you're pressing B I'd suppose. It's a little vague and I can't really tell what you were trying to do where you get a b reverse unintentionally often.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Can I just drop in to say that watching Johnny Numbers win grand finals was one of the most exciting things I've seen in a while? Like, wow. I've never seen anyone make WFT move like that. And dang is that custom hoop a great move. And that shield break! LOL

Good times, good times.
John#s is the top ranked Trainer right now and is great, but if you're looking for really impressive Wii Fit movement you need to watch Waveguider, who seems to be Australia's best Trainer. I only wish I could move so smooth.

Top Bottom