• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The WFTGD: How About Some Deep Breathing?

⑨ball

Smash Ace
I figured. :p

Apparently 2/3rds or something of the world sees white/gold due to the over exposure because our brains do this weird thing where things in shadow and light get changed to fit the context of what's around them.

Most people that see white/gold imagine that the light is coming from outside, so it's a white/gold dress in a sky blue light. Team blue/black , AKA sane people, AKA the only people who will survive the zombie apocalypse, AKA rightful inheritors of the earth, tend to think of the light as artificial or indoor light, so it's a dark blue dress in fake light.

It works pretty similar to these if you've seen them before:

Only in these cases the split will be much smaller as we can all identify the source of shadow. If you turn the brightness up on the dress you should be able to see what the other people are seeing.

Niala

Smash Ace
Allow me to offer some optically related insight. 9Ball is pretty close to on the dot without getting into the science of it.

First of all, it should be noted I'm in school working on an Optician course, which will ultimately lead to Optometry in a few years, so I have a pretty good knowledge of optics. A quick anatomy review of the eye: light enters the the globe through the pupil and is focused largely by the cornea (clear part covering the front of the eye) and also by the crystalline lens (biconvex lens within the eye, just behind the iris) and together they focus the light onto the retina.

I'm sure people know this, but on the retina there are small cells called "photoreceptors." These photoreceptors come in two forms, rod cells and cone cells, or more commonly known as just rods and cones. Cones burden the majority of the responsibility of sight, including colour vision, since they function primarily in regular lighting conditions, where rods are more responsible for things like night vision and work in dim lighting.

Basically, it comes down to whether or not the rods your eyes can distinguish the dress from the light source behind it. The light in behind it is trying to "trick" the eyes into thinking the image is brighter than it actually is (and in fact, if you've seen a picture of the actual dress, it's quite a dark blue.) It is indeed quite similar to the images posted just above, where if you remove the information around the squares in question, you'll notice they're actually the same exact colour, but otherwise you'd never be able to tell.

As a result, people with good night vision are much more likely to see the dress as blue/black, because rods are primarily responsible for night vision. I suspect there's also a link to eye colour, given dark eyes absorb most light but lighter eyes do not, but I don't really have any evidence to back that up. It's also for this reason that changing the brightness of the picture can affect what colours you see, because it changes how many rods you have working on the image.

THE MOST PROPER REACTION

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Way to go Macchiato!
Was that tournament played with Customs?

Played my first online tournament today and made it to losers round 2 only because my first opponent didn't turn up, I'll try not to get discouraged. As long as I keep playing I'm sure I'll get better

⑨ball

Smash Ace
We're just about at the deadline for having the customs set in place. If you don't agree with the the sets Numbers has up, make your voice heard now.

Niala

Smash Ace
Looking to get some practice against a WFT today around 4:00 pm CST. Anyone?
If you need to practice against a WFT main I can do that sometime next week. I don't think I can offer anything until then, though, my schedule this week is pretty hectic.

EDIT: Also I don't know why I didn't think of this but here's the stream we had going over the weekend. http://www.twitch.tv/smashnb/b/633863131

My games start at: 40:50, 1:14:00, 1:34:25, and 2:25:00. Pardon the mic issues, we didn't realize for a while that the mic was coming out of the same place as the camera so the commentary is just kinda in the background and you can hear us just talking the whole time.

Last edited:

Xyless

Smash Master
Is there any good footage of a WFT using the RTAC (run turnaround cancel) in tourney? Or another video other than Reflex's that shows how to do it? I have zero clue what I'm doing and Reflex's video doesn't really do a good job explaining how to know if you're doing it right, and 9Ball seems to be the only person that talks about it on the forums.

Last edited:

⑨ball

Smash Ace
@ Xyless Xyless You're probably just overthinking it.

It's literally just turning around. The most complex thing to learn about it is really just the distance you can go out of it before your state changes from neutral to dashing.

Try this to get a better understanding:

• First, start running and then try to do a dtilt. You should find that no matter what, you get dash attack because while you are dashing the game reads your state as [dashing] and as such you can't do any of the other things you might without first canceling your state with another, such as jumping(which is where the jump canceled usmash comes from).
    • This is also one of the main reasons in high level play you will see a lot of players dashing in and out of shield as an approach.

• Now, run one way and whenever you want, turn around, once you are going the other way try to dtilt. It should now work. Not only dtilt, but so should everything else you could normally do because the game now reads your state as [neutral]. You should even be able to turn around again without going into the turn around animation similar to foxtrotting.

This is pretty much it in a nutshell. It's only the applications of it that get kind of complicated, because WFT can control a lot of what happens from neutral thanks to her amazing crawl.

Xyless

Smash Master
Ohh, watching Reflex do it, I assumed there would be more sliding going on, since his Wario was sliding around like crazy.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
The general slide comes naturally and doesn't require any extra input. It's simply a matter of your momentum from running carrying over into your option.

Once you've got the basics down you can try incorporating crawling into it, which is where you can start getting significantly longer and controlled slides with WFT having ones that dwarf everyone this technique can be used with being able to land an fsmash from about midstage.

You can see similar results in the reverse dacus type movement Nixul_Rz posted about only with rtac your momentum can carry both ways not just in reverse.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
So I busted my 3DS's R button, do not own a Wii U and have nobody to play often with.
ggsSmash4

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
Incase we need this, yes I made this.
/blessed

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
IMO
Doc is low
Falco is low
Zelda is mid
Wii fit is high

With customs
Doc is mid
Falco is low
Zelda is low
Wii fit is top
Falco has mid-tier potential since his combo game rivals that of Mario, and does better in a customs environment because his recovery special variants all make him much harder to gimp. Void Reflector is another custom that makes him more threatening.

I do agree that Wii Fit is higher than most people believe.

Anyway I came here to inquire about what this thread covers. Is it also a social thread? I ask because I want to improve my Wii Fit Trainer and one good way to start is to play good Wii Fit Trainers to see how different our styles are and what techniques I need to adopt to improve. I'm really confident in my WFT online against 90% (even the tiny characters after learning about the Header dash attack thing), but offline I often get overwhelmed by nervousness and my spacing just goes down the drain. I almost lost my **** playing a guy who used Lucario and Luigi.

Additionally I believe we should make a Skype group. It's handy for those who need to discuss anything WFT-related at a moment's notice and will help us build friendships or strengthen existing ones. :)

My NNID is on my mini-profile, please feel free to add me. If you're interested in playing at any time (I've got nothing to do for most of my Spring Break) please let me know by replying or posting on my wall. Let's strengthen our backs and improve our posture. :4wiifitm:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I'd be open to adding you, though typically we want to avoid Skype groups so as to keep more of the discussion on the forum itself.
Cool, I added you.

As for Skype groups, I see your point, but I think it would be fine for matchmaking.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
9ball and Macchiato confirmed not wanting to GET THIS WORKOUT by my Wii Fit Trainer :)

Macchiato

Smash Hero
NNID
Macchiatooo
@ John12346 John12346 I Just watched the stream from yesterday and great job with Wii Fit. Don't forget to post the Results in the thread. Also are yew every gonna use default Wii Fit in no custom tournaments?

9ball and Macchiato confirmed not wanting to GET THIS WORKOUT by my Wii Fit Trainer :)
Add me, my Skype name is frappucino_ and if it doesn't work then just put "frappucino_ Thomas"

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
For no customs tournaments, which I hope there will be very few of, I am currently co-maining Wii Fit and Lucario, as they cover each other's bad matchups really well actually. Also, thanks for watching, I'm hoping to help advance the Wii Fit metagame, for sure.

Top Bottom