• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the use of pivot grabbing? (using falcon offcourse)

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
I just noticed one can pivot grab, yes I know, late and all and I had heard about it before but never tried it.
And yesterday I saw Crzy doing it in a match against me. So I ask the falcon users:
'what is the use of pivot grabbing?'
I must be overlooking something here, but running grab seems the better choice in all situations imo.
?

Tenki

Smash Hero
Every character's pivot grabs have different effects. For some, it's faster speed, for others, it's better range. Believe it or not, Falcon's pivot grab has better range than normal. I once pivot grabbed Ganondorf out of his D-smash's back kick without being in actual range to be hit by it. (I ran away and pivot grabbed).

If you've ever seen Ally play Falcon, it's crazy.
With amazing reading ability, if you know your opponent is going to spotdodge as you run at them, then do a pivot grab.

oh, and for randomness:
Falcon's sliding pivot grab (out of full dash): [full dash] > [back]-[grab]. It interrupts the turnaround with the grab, and for some reason makes you slide quite a bit while you're doing it.

Falcon's non sliding pivot grab (out of full dash): [full dash] > [grab]-[back]

The question is whether to use it retreating or approaching. Approaching means you know your opponent is going to shield or spotdodge as you pass them. Retreating means you know your opponent will be approaching and landing/stopping at a certain place.

Crzy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was trying to use it as a mind game yesterday because you either spot dodge or shield as I near you. Whether I'm attacking or not. :p

I'm still trying to implement it into my grab game, hence me missing so many. :p

UzakiuzuG

Smash Journeyman
I don't use it at all but thats just me. =I Knee add me again when I get my new wii house was broken in -_-

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
i use it to catch people who roll or land behind me. It's sometimes too risky to run at them and do a pivot grab, cuz they may just simply tilt you. specially if they've got the range for it.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Every character's pivot grabs have different effects. For some, it's faster speed, for others, it's better range. Believe it or not, Falcon's pivot grab has better range than normal. I once pivot grabbed Ganondorf out of his D-smash's back kick without being in actual range to be hit by it. (I ran away and pivot grabbed).

If you've ever seen Ally play Falcon, it's crazy.
With amazing reading ability, if you know your opponent is going to spotdodge as you run at them, then do a pivot grab.

oh, and for randomness:
Falcon's sliding pivot grab (out of full dash): [full dash] > [back]-[grab]. It interrupts the turnaround with the grab, and for some reason makes you slide quite a bit while you're doing it.

Falcon's non sliding pivot grab (out of full dash): [full dash] > [grab]-[back]

The question is whether to use it retreating or approaching. Approaching means you know your opponent is going to shield or spotdodge as you pass them. Retreating means you know your opponent will be approaching and landing/stopping at a certain place.
You grabbed his leg. You can do that against lots of moves, and in one of my videos I was DSmashing my opponent and he grabbed my leg (it hit him, but I was definately too far away to have been grabbed if I did something else). That doesn't prove anything about pivot grab's range.

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
The timing is different for grabs to take effect, different characters = different reaction time, I like Marth's pivot grab the best since it grabs a decent amount of range and it's surprisinly quick, which makes Marth's pivot grab a chain follow up!

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Also, with Captain Falcon a small dash takes place when the grab button is pressed late and then it is taken place. this is useful for characters the have a further roll or attempting to corner rolly pollys, these kind of players annoy me especially. so mind games like Falcon's pivot grab are good stuff :)

Top Bottom