• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The updated A.I. is pretty damn awesome.

Time/SpaceMage

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0190-1986-7622
I didn't know you write float values like that in Italy.
Oh yeah, that's a European thing. All of Europe uses commas to indicate decimal points, and periods to indicate thousands etc. We do things backwards from them.

That's interesting though - I never thought about how that would affect coding until now!

Last edited:

NoLife

Smash Apprentice
can i say something bout sheiks new ai....its awesome i like what KC has done with it except for the sweet spotted upb....she will do everything in her power to make sure she does that sweet spotted upb. she has fallen past the ledge so she can do the sweet spotted upb many times. and if im on the ledge and she has the ability to jump over me on the stage she wont...just go for the sweetspotted up. i would like to ask to see something about this get done if its not too hard

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
Cpu's still suck though, KingClubber should do a better job.
I'm not sure if it's been said already, but the AI that needs the most work is Nana. That girls recovery game is abysmal if she ever gets separated from Popo. I've also seen her suicide more than a few times. Other than that I agree with the general consensus that you've done a fantastic job making the CPUs a viable way to practice.

Darkshooter

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if it's been said already, but the AI that needs the most work is Nana. That girls recovery game is abysmal if she ever gets separated from Popo. I've also seen her suicide more than a few times. Other than that I agree with the general consensus that you've done a fantastic job making the CPUs a viable way to practice.
Yeah, Nana is the reason I stopped playing Ice Climbers in this game.

Sorry IC's :(

Kolbin

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Nana is the reason I stopped playing Ice Climbers in this game.

Sorry IC's :(
Same with a buddy of mine. I was talking with him on the subject when I stumbled across this thread so I figured I'd bring it up. It sucks because they're really good if you can keep her around, but SoPo is pretty limited.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Try fighting a lvl.9 Zelda
I honestly believe that the AI zelda is a major reason behind people being upset over her design, it lands bair-fair sweet spots like there's nothing to it. It's funny because it's much harder to do manually, but people just end up thinking she is cheap.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
@ Kolbin Kolbin - Will fix

@ D Daftatt - Part of the problem with Zelda is that she's a good character now that has things that looks dumb aka 'easymode' to a lot of people. Also with the ideal of 'Forced Design' being passed around, people tend to think that she was made "easymode" on purpose to make zelda players happy. But the only ones winning games with zelda are those who are experienced zelda players who've mostly played melee zelda.

Zelda's AI isn't even that good, so if people are having trouble with her there may be more to the 'easymode' then thought. But rest assured the saying "Everything is Subject to Change" is still in the running. So the PMBR will try to find the truth of the matter.

D

Deleted member

can you pretty, pretty please do something so i can turn off the CPU mods? they are pissing me off something horrible.

D

Deleted member

just their behavior. i have no one to play against so, like many people, i play vs the cpu to stay fluid and familiar with the game. but the CPU either gets *****, or it just does hard reads, impossible DIs that humans would never do, powershields, or frame perfect dodges. i'm at the point where i no longer trust my moves since things that would normally work vs talented players are -always- beaten by some **** that no human player would ever do and it's giving me a LOT of bad habits and i'm getting worse at the game by practicing. i might have to quit playing because not playing for 6 weeks at a time is actually less detrimental to my game play than playing against the CPU. i can't even turn them down because they still do grifty things, just less predictably. i just have no outs to this.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I remember reading somewhere about how CPU AI is all different. Sometimes it prioritizes rush-down, or other times it plays super defensive.

I would love to learn more about CPU AI.

If I only had time...

Bero

Smash Journeyman
I don't remember how many times I said this, but I tell it for you.
1 frame CPU behavior is programmed by Brawl developers, not by KingClubber.
Play with CPU in Brawl, and you'll notice the same thing.
"Fixing" the behavior is necessary as many of users claim though.

By the way there is also a wide-spread misunderstanding that CPUs read your inputs.
This is wrong since even if they do it, they cannot predict what will occur next frame.
To know it, they need to run PSA scripts to calculate hitbox size, hurtbox size.
Also they have to take into account stage data, bone position after certain frames, etc.
It's unlikely that CPUs do such a too complicated things, considering how lazy the Brawl AI programmers were(too fast reaction, too many hardcodes are the examples).

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
To be frank humanistic CPUs should have been the goal from the beginning. But based on good humans not the mediocre ones lol
But umbreon I think you are underselling these CPUs, they are an improvement from brawls
Not because these ones are particularly human, but mostly because it's so difficult to get simultaneously more stupid and less human than Brawl's CPUs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

i won't argue, i made it a point to avoid brawl so i have no frame of reference.

edit: yep still loathing psychic AI

Last edited by a moderator:

hemisphere

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else's lvl. 9 Captain Falcon spam falcon kick/rely on it too much? It's really predictable most of the time, and when he actually hits it, it really just ruins the flow of the match (imo), really not fun to play against.

D

Deleted member

is there at least a way to remove the CP powershielding? this is literally unplayable at this point.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
is there at least a way to remove the CP powershielding? this is literally unplayable at this point.

Bro you gotta learn the art of grabbing shielding players. That's what these CPUs have taught me: blocking will give them a chance to immediately attack, but they are defenseless against a grab.

That and they also taught me that air dodging off a cliff is a very bad thing.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I remember when I played Melee computers and I pressed B repeatedly as Fox and the CPU's would just stand there holding shield until it broke.

D

Deleted member

i can't play a normal footsie grab into positional advantage into a grab because the computer never has to respectmy options, they just wait until i grab and stuff it on perfect reaction, usually by grabbing me instead. i turned my game off this morning when i used sheik dtilt and got PS grabbed 6 times in a row. every time i play vs the CPU for 20 minutes i'm ready to break the game.

Sai_

Smash Apprentice
You could try to grab when you are falling down from the air. The moment you hit the ground, you can press shield and the shield will pop up, and then you can press A to grab out of shield. You can also try to grab them when they recover from a roll. And most importantly, you want to have spacing. Marth is a good example for this. The space between the tipper and an opponent is enough to hit them and also it's enough to not get you grabbed.

Reck

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yeah they are pretty tough, i get my but kicked with the mad combos those AI's can dish out haha

D

Deleted member

Wat
Are you trying to tell umbreon how to play or something
i think the attempt at problem solving is cute.

but then i'm also a dark, twisted, sadistic asshole and i want to drag the whole of humanity to hell with me.

so i just didn't say anything.

on the plus side i found a way to practice- practice in melee instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Player -0

Smash Hero
Was playing with a friend on Melee yesterday. We need Melee level CPU's, the foxes just Jab, Cancel, Jab Jab, Cancel, Jab.

It's like the best way to learn SDI. *Got wrecked*

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I remember reading somewhere about how CPU AI is all different. Sometimes it prioritizes rush-down, or other times it plays super defensive.

I would love to learn more about CPU AI.

If I only had time...
MAKE THE TIME

Generalardj

Smash Cadet
Something that i made.
Falcon dashdance + upthrow
Falcon dashdance approach
Sorry for the crappy song but I had to remove the original audio xD

Bero

Smash Journeyman
Quite interesting.
What impressed me most is you seem to have basic skills to make original AI and actually write one, which is a rare case.

Top Bottom