• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The updated A.I. is pretty damn awesome.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Mmmmm. Competent AI.

I had to have a go at Ike as Roy. Let me tell you: Ike was NOT happy to see Roy in his house and he let me know, like, crystal clear.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Cpu's still suck though, KingClubber should do a better job.
This post is such a damn contradiction to your signature that it almost makes me think it's intentional. ¦D

It's also hilarious. XD

DiamondDust

Prime Time Player
NNID
MaysTheCraze
Every time Falco kills me, he reminds me by repeatedly using his Shine. Every chance Falcon can get, he basically moonwalks all over the place.

Yeah, the A.I. is indeed pretty awesome.

BackwardCap

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1822-0407-6208
Personally, I think the AI got worse from the transition from 2.6 - 3.0

I never really used Mewtwo in melee but I picked him up in P:M and just casually 4 stock them without much effort.

Marth, Ken Combos? He's auto win as soon as you reach a kill percentage. All it does is stand still waiting for you to get close so it can Up B you unless you're spamming projectiles which he'll proceed to run into until he's in range to eat your smash attack.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I will say firstly that of course simple tricks will beat the A.I. every single time while a human would adapt quickly, in that sense the A.I. is dumb as bricks.

But when it comes to pulling off some beautiful gimps, the A.I. is the best I have ever seen in Smash.

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the CPUs will often lose to lame tactics and will never be perfect since they're not human, but the AI in 3.0 is substantially better than in any Smash game ever and the CPUs can really kick some serious butt. Honestly, it is phenomenal that the AI can properly L-cancel, tech, DI, gimp, combo, style all over the place, and even apply legit tactics that mimic the metagame. KingClubber is a champ.

Generically Epic

Smash Ace
I got hit my an explosion, went up to snake on the second floor, he stuck a C4 on me while I was still flying, and then he exploded it...It was beautiful. :'D

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I wish Falco would stop mocking me with his fancy tech skillz.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
I still can't wavedash and L-Cancel consistently but apparently Link can. My poor Icies didn't stand a chance. #NerfLink #CPU2gud

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub

* Later that day *
I lost to the A.I.

._.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
@Vashimus
I may not be very adequate at Wave Dashing (but I'm still fairly decent at Wave landing, I'm not sure why) I don't get why people try Wave Dashing at all near the edges, silly.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
Is there any way to replace the ai from this version with the one from 2.6b? The ai fights good but it gets annoying when it keeps killing itself 75% of the time making it unplayable for me.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think the AI got worse from the transition from 2.6 - 3.0

I never really used Mewtwo in melee but I picked him up in P:M and just casually 4 stock them without much effort.

Marth, Ken Combos? He's auto win as soon as you reach a kill percentage. All it does is stand still waiting for you to get close so it can Up B you unless you're spamming projectiles which he'll proceed to run into until he's in range to eat your smash attack.
I disagree. I play the CPU because I want to practice, not win...Stop punishing the CPU for the amazingly stupid things it does. That doesn't help anything, but your ego. The Jiggs CPU is a good example. I have to wake it up with a jab at least once per stock, but besides that, it forces me to watch out for rests at all times, which helps my spacing. Take advantage of the stupidity, don't punish it.

Yes, you will have to constantly save the CPU or play overly aggressive or try to swagger or just test out approaches. These are all things which the computer now deals better with (Combo DI, Faster reactions, etc), and can actually improve your game play. Who wants to play in their comfort zone against a CPU? The point is to get better.

I'm glad you practice hitting B and the C-stick when you play the CPU. Great way to get better.

Edit: KingClubber. You should make the PM CPU powershield everything like the Melee CPU.

Giygacoal

Smash Lord
My only complaint right now is that Mewtwo doesn't seem to know how to use its Shadow Ball. It only ever exits the charge upon dodging.

Vashimus

Smash Master
@Vashimus
I may not be very adequate at Wave Dashing (but I'm still fairly decent at Wave landing, I'm not sure why) I don't get why people try Wave Dashing at all near the edges, silly.
Wavedashing backwards towards the ledge lets you immediately grab it, which is useful if you need to edgehog someone quickly.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I won't lie, they definitely did a great job in providing the AI with a significantly stronger offensive ability, but at the same time, that does tend to result in only one of many mindsets.

I'm often an aggressive attacker, frequently to the point of recklessness, and once I get a good position against the AI, there's not much they can do to counter me back. they're just as aggressive, and I've yet to see possible defensive play. though I suppose that just leaves me to wonder... is it possible for the AI to have an alternate operating procedure, or is it limited...?

zman804

Smash Ace
Mario's AI is incredible. It consistently will throw firebalss to make an aerial safe. KingClubber's too good.

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I disagree. I play the CPU because I want to practice, not win...Stop punishing the CPU for the amazingly stupid things it does. That doesn't help anything, but your ego. The Jiggs CPU is a good example. I have to wake it up with a jab at least once per stock, but besides that, it forces me to watch out for rests at all times, which helps my spacing. Take advantage of the stupidity, don't punish it.

Yes, you will have to constantly save the CPU or play overly aggressive or try to swagger or just test out approaches. These are all things which the computer now deals better with (Combo DI, Faster reactions, etc), and can actually improve your game play. Who wants to play in their comfort zone against a CPU? The point is to get better.

I'm glad you practice hitting B and the C-stick when you play the CPU. Great way to get better.

Edit: KingClubber. You should make the PM CPU powershield everything like the Melee CPU.

Yes! I totally agree. I like to practice against the AI a lot, but it's really important for people to distance themselves from caring about winning. If you beat the computer 20 times but reinforce bad habits, then that practice was detrimental. If you lose to the computer 20 times but were focusing on your DI or weaving other tech into your gameplay, then that's probably helping you.

Which is what makes these CPUs so nice. They're a lot more savage than anything in the vanilla games, so practicing things with them as a backdrop is much more intense.

Still, I won't lie - one of my guilty pleasures before I go to bed when no one else is up for PM is just getting on and beating the crap out of Bowser as all my chars. I dunno why, but something about beating him up is just so fun... sorry Bowser fans! <_<;;

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
Beating up on helpless Bowsers.

What is this? Melee?

Ahahahaha, yeah that's where it came from. When my bro and I were little kids, we loved going around the world against Bowser - sometimes he had Mewtwo or Gdorf helping him out, but usually it was just two Bowsers against everyone else.

We actually did that in 3.0 too. : > Our 3.0 launch night celebration was a bunch of 1 v 1's, then beating the crap out of Bowser as everyone, then playing Turbo mode, and then being exhausted and extremely happy.

The AI handles teams really well, too, on that note. They're really good about not killing each other - that was a problem the smash games always seemed to have, if you had team attack on the AI would just kind of slaughter each other without ever taking into account that maybe they shouldn't.

Also, I've noticed that Ganondorf in 3.0 seems to have stepped up his game a lot. : D He's doing a lot of fancy stuff now.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Wavedashing backwards towards the ledge lets you immediately grab it, which is useful if you need to edgehog someone quickly.
Well I knew that, but it seems like such a huge risk for one kill, where you could be completely successful and take another stock, or you could barely miss and completely screw yourself in the match, if before this you're behind one stock. But, I definitely get what you're saying.

Tugnus

Smash Cadet
Well I knew that, but it seems like such a huge risk for one kill, where you could be completely successful and take another stock, or you could barely miss and completely screw yourself in the match, if before this you're behind one stock. But, I definitely get what you're saying.
Wave dashing TO the ledge is super easy and everyone should be 100% consistent. If you are really dying all the time, just move away from the ledge a little.

Wave dashing/landing FROM the ledge (with invincibility) is a different story and much higher risk/reward and a higher tech skill requirement. JUST DON'T BOBACK!!!

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
At least I don't air-dodge off cliffs. Knuckleheads.
True enough.

I can beat most of these CPUs with my characters, but I still can't do tech stuff worth a damn. Like, when I play Ganon, I can't wavedash in practice mode (I keep missing his input for it) but I've done it accidentally in battle.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Let me tell you about Luigi's AI though
Zelda too. They did a good job

Then there's pikachu that does his recovery and kills himself.

JRC LSS

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm voting Zelda for "most improved AI". She's almost too accurate with those kicks now.

Ginge

Smash Ace
I can beat any lv.9 CPU with any character and I don`t even know what an L-Cancel is.
There's a difference between beating an AI and learning from an AI. The strategies you used against the computer would most likely get your ass handed to you in a tournament.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
^he's right
but I think Qx7+7x7's point was that the CPUs still aren't that great considering what they can lose to.
While that is a good point, any person could easily lose to any strategy or "strategy" themselves too, regardless of skill. Sure, the odds are vastly different depending on the skill of whichever player, but it's far from impossible either way.

Especially if someone gets a little too careless.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
While that is a good point, any person could easily lose to any strategy or "strategy" themselves too, regardless of skill. Sure, the odds are vastly different depending on the skill of whichever player, but it's far from impossible either way.

Especially if someone gets a little too careless.
You don't know how many matches I've lost trying to spike/meteor someone who already can't make it back.

I can't help but try to overkill.

Eisen

Smash Ace
NNID
AndroidPolaris
Zelda, Mario, and Lucas CPUs are devastating. While I see why some people complain about the CPUs being "too easy" I think that's only in a few cases. Pikachu and ICs are probably the easiest and kill themselves the most. You have to appreciate what they're offensively capable of now. They present a real challenge, who cares if they kill themselves a few times? I'd rather have that than constantly 4 stocking them. You can play them infinitely so stocks are kind of trivial.

And when the CPUs aren't killing themselves, they're pulling off some serious madness. I got shield pressured so badly by a level 9 Lucas against my own Lucas that I actually got pretty salty. That thing wasn't just shield-pressuring though; it was READING my shield and only crossing me up/aerialing me when I was most vulnerable. I had to like take another game to build up my ability to more perfectly DJC, since on CPUs I normally used to slack. Not anymore though.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Cpu's still suck though, KingClubber should do a better job.
Actually Clubber I was going to ask if you could make lv.8 the new lv.9 and make lv.9 IMPOSSIBLE CPU'S. Where they have frame perfect reaction time and punish you for every little thing? I would play Project M forever if that was possible. Like make it so they DI everything perfectly, when they combo you they follow your DI frame perfectly lol. It would be crazy.

Top Bottom