• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unhappy Thread

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I suppose I should give it a shot and write out a bit of a vent post. I'll try to explain the best I can without making it too long:

I have a friend that I've known since Middle School.

While we always haven't gotten along about some things we've still managed to be good friends for all these years. We'll hang out very often and Smash quite a bit in For Glory Teams too. We do other things as well, and he's not a terrible friend. You know how some friends can be. They all have their quirks that can sometimes drive you up a ****ing wall but still be friends, right...?

Well, one thing he always does that continues to upset me and still chooses to do even though I've voiced my concerns:

The majority of the time when we hang out he is continually on his phone looking at Imgur 80% of the time.

It really doesn't matter what we do. He'll do it when we're smashing to the point I have to continually prod and get his attention before the timer runs out or something so he can switch or change his name or whatever is needed to be done. I have to do this every single round, every single time. It takes several times for him to even look up from the screen long enough just to do that.

(And before you think it's cause he doesn't enjoy Smash, he does. We've played Smash together since Melee)

Watching TV or a movie, especially one he wanted to watch? On his phone. Looking at Imgur. Not even paying attention. Now don't get me wrong. This is fine in small doses especially if nothing is going on or if I'm doing something else or whatever...

But this is just constant.

Like I've mentioned I voiced that it upsets me. I told him exactly why it does. It makes me feel like he's bored and he shouldn't head over if he just wants to glue his face to his phone all day long. I hate it. It makes me feel like **** cause it makes me feel like I'm boring. No matter what he also gives me all kinds of excuses as to why it is absolutely 100% necessary to be on his phone.

It doesn't matter what I do. No matter what solution I come up with. I try everything I can but in the end he just gets so absorbed into his phone I really have to ask why he even bothers to come over in the first place. It's rude. If I bore you that much why come over? I hate it. I hate it so much I developed an very unhealthy pet peeve of people being on their phones constantly.

And that's about it. A little longer than expected, so I apologize in advance. I just really boiled over this time from this....

Dealing with this constantly is just incredibly annoying, especially when he knows how it makes me feel.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Prepare for another anecdote of misfortune.

I had gotten a Gamecube for Christmas back in 2004, one of the best treats ever. But then it was taken away from me when I was in 11th grade. My mom pawned it off for money, and didn't get particularly much out of it. I shall be assertive and say it: that was a ***** move on her part. Even though I played Melee on that thing for hours in the day, I kept up with my schoolwork. I was shocked I ain't have either any longer. But again kept my grades in the A range, and when I graduated high school, I got a fair bit of money and managed to buy another Gamecube myself, and after nine years I still have it but stopped playing on it since buying a Wii and Wii U.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I'm legitimately concerned for my mental health. Just yesterday morning I came close to what felt like a panic attack (twice) when I was just alone in the house. I got lightheaded, I felt sick to the stomach, I felt short of breath and my legs felt heavy. And all I was doing was thinking about what it would be like to have actual responsibilities and have to interact with human beings daily, lol.

I wish I could explain to people just how odd it feels to grow up in a vacuum separate from society. To have one of your parents say "Of course I want to kill you" because you thought you were homosexual and were in an online relationship. To know that your parents could easily get away with killing you, because no one but your family even knows that you exist.

And the worst part is that no one gives a ****. I don't expect buckets of tears, but I at least expect people to acknowledge how screwed up that is. Yet no one does. It's just like "Eh, cool story bro." But maybe all of this is perfectly fine, and I'm just wacked up. Maybe I'm the nutty one who's already gone off the deep end without knowing it. I don't even know anymore lol.

Last edited:

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
I'm legitimately concerned for my mental health. Just yesterday morning I came close to what felt like a panic attack (twice) when I was just alone in the house. I got lightheaded, I felt sick to the stomach, I felt short of breath and my legs felt heavy. And all I was doing was thinking about what it would be like to have actual responsibilities and have to interact with human beings daily, lol.

I wish I could explain to people just how odd it feels to grow up in a vacuum separate from society. To have one of your parents say "Of course I want to kill you" because you thought you were homosexual and were in an online relationship. To know that your parents could easily get away with killing you, because no one but your family even knows that you exist.

And the worst part is that no one gives a ****. I don't expect buckets of tears, but I at least expect people to acknowledge how screwed up that is. Yet no one does. It's just like "Eh, cool story bro." But maybe all of this is perfectly fine, and I'm just wacked up. Maybe I'm the nutty one who's already gone off the deep end without knowing it. I don't even know anymore lol.
Just another robot with a sad story. Of course everyone with sense will acknowledge that it's messed up, but at the same time we'll say you are still living with your parents and need to prioritize getting away, assuming you are reporting the situation accurately.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty irritable that I have to wait three weeks for my :4corrinf: amiibo to be shipped (no it's not imported). Ordered it on July 21, but they sold out faster than even the :rosalina:s and it sucks she wasn't available for pre-order at all. I shall not acquire one from a scalper since they're reselling it for 10x MSRP, which is greedy and unconstitutional. As soon as I get this, I'm going to forget about these figurines for a while. Amiibos are fine collectibles but they're not worth going into bankruptcy.

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
My Ex boyfriend started working at my job, and he keeps harassing me and talking trash behind my back,

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Recently, I went out on a jog at my local street and I decided to walk on a lane when one of the three teenagers deliberately tried to trip me over. I glanced back and yelled "What are you doing!?!" at them before walking away.

Whilst walking, the teenager who tried to trip me over started to walk behind me and posed Kung-Fu moves. I then looked from behind and he was attempting to punch my face and he kicked me (a few times) on my lower back. I then told him things like "I do not want to fight" etc but he continued. After that, I then decide to run away as far as I can and the teenager stopped following me.

I've already reported my incident to my local police and hopefully they can help me out soon. Right now, I am feeling completely lost and shaken as I do not understand why these teenagers would target me? (I am of British-Chinese nationality who has lived in the UK ever since I was born.)

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Recently, I went out on a jog at my local street and I decided to walk on a lane when one of the three teenagers deliberately tried to trip me over. I glanced back and yelled "What are you doing!?!" at them before walking away.

Whilst walking, the teenager who tried to trip me over started to walk behind me and posed Kung-Fu moves. I then looked from behind and he was attempting to punch my face and he kicked me (a few times) on my lower back. I then told him things like "I do not want to fight" etc but he continued. After that, I then decide to run away as far as I can and the teenager stopped following me.

I've already reported my incident to my local police and hopefully they can help me out soon. Right now, I am feeling completely lost and shaken as I do not understand why these teenagers would target me? (I am of British-Chinese nationality who has lived in the UK ever since I was born.)
Some people just get satisfaction targeting someone. The Kung Fu was likely a juvenile attempt at mocking you. It was an immature act on their part which is not surprising if they were teens. I'm sorry this happened to you.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Some people just get satisfaction targeting someone. The Kung Fu was likely a juvenile attempt at mocking you. It was an immature act on their part which is not surprising if they were teens. I'm sorry this happened to you.
Thanks. I'm just hoping not to encounter those teenagers again and hopefully the police will track them down. Maybe I was the target because of my Chinese background and what I also found very immature as well is to why they attempted to trip me up in the first place.

My Ex boyfriend started working at my job, and he keeps harassing me and talking trash behind my back,
If he continues to do that, have you considered reporting this to your boss at work?

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I got married. Pretty terrible mistake. Gonna get a divorce or postnup before my lease is up. Hopefully its not too late to find my dream girl

Jaruto

Smash Cadet
NNID
JarutoATD
  • I got married. Pretty terrible mistake. Gonna get a divorce or postnup before my lease is up. Hopefully its not too late to find my dream girl
    How long have you been married? Are you sure it isn't just something you can work out with your wife?

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
I'm not sad about it or anything, but it does suck:
Miiverse is gonna end soon and I don't know of anybody in the Wii U homebrew community who's gonna replace it like Wiimmfi. (Yes, there is a modding community for the Wii U; exploits are on NDS VC, of all things.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sad part: am probably being cheated on by a *****.
Good part: I can be a total ruthless savage from now on and I won't withhold myself in the slightest.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think my illness and especially my stomach problems that won't go away are from stress

Just too much stress

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Over the past year I feel like my lover's growing distant. I feel like they have at times been trying to get me to break up with them. Overtime these feelings have congealed into the sense of utter doom. I've sat around all weekend crying trying to think of ways I could have been a better lover this past year. I don't want to lose the best person I've ever known but I know there's nothing I can do to make a person love me so like a stone she's sinking away from me.

Please help me figure out if I'm being paranoid or if these really are the signs of someone who wants out of a relationship. Sidenote, we are almost 5 years into a long distance relationship to provide some context.

• She picks fights over things I said years ago out of nowhere. We don't have fights very often but they seem almost manufactured or like they come out of some inner frustration/resentment she has with me. These are sometimes very personal attacks at my lifestyle. I like the arts, spend my days as a bookkeeper listening to a lot of music, I work at a theatre, I watch a lot film, play a lot of games, and read a good bit of poetry; she accused me of being entitled and attached to my "consumer world-view."
  • In the last fight we had she asked me to break up with her in the heat of the moment. This was in person and she looked directly in my eyes.
  • During fights she ask why I'm in a relationship with someone she hates.
  • We went from calling almost every night to simply texting and calling once every two weeks.
  • She's not interested in video calling anymore or exchanging photos.
  • We went from visiting once every month and a half or so to going six months without a trip and even then it was a two day thing.
  • I feel like I'm the last to know what's going on in her life anymore aside from complaints about those around her. She just went on a trip across country and I didn't know much of anything that was going on in the trip until after the fact.
  • I'm graduating college in may and she's moving out of her town next may (she's already graduated). She has 0 interest in planning anything about our future lives to match up. I'm clearly not a priority in her future life plans.
  • Today I said "I love you so much." in a text and she said "Stop." I asked what was wrong and she quoted that phrase back at me.
About 9 years ago I had a particularly nasty breakup from a particularly nasty relationship (even got dumped on Christmas) and so I might just be oversensitive to what I see as signs. But every month it feels like she slips farther away but perhaps that's my own paranoia.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently a friend of mine had their friendship with another person broken recently because 10 years ago I was invited to this person's house, I didn't know, with my friend and never thanked them...? And they had been building resentment toward me and to him for the last 10 years

And that I never hung out with them...?

I literally have seen them twice in more than 10 years only and somehow they built resentment toward me for something I didn't even know of an finally vented that out on my friend. Who has known them for 20 years maybe?

¡Peachy-Roses!

Smash Rookie
Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster (Mario's Universe)
NNID
TheGFlower
Depression is a glorified and overrated concept in the internet, but I'll share my little malady, anyway.

I'm beginning to question myself, my values, goals and, most of all, intelligence.

I've begun to feel lower than society expects me to be, as I've lowered my standards to fit what I believe is the zenith of my intellectual capacity. Everywhere I look, whether it be the internet and its perverse cyberculture, or real life, it appears that everyone knows what they're doing. Meanwhile, I'm a high school dropout due to social isolation and boredom from my teachers and elders teaching the expected curricula incessantly and cyclically.

Honestly, is being average okay to me? Is this enough? I see children below my age achieving a greater understanding of many topics that I learned just recently, and the inferiority complex that flares inside my ego feels like it's about to rupture.

The causes of depression are variable and incredibly complex, and one of them is belittling yourself because of these observations. I question if I'm missing out on a lot of life's blessings because of this... limit.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Over the past year I feel like my lover's growing distant. I feel like they have at times been trying to get me to break up with them. Overtime these feelings have congealed into the sense of utter doom. I've sat around all weekend crying trying to think of ways I could have been a better lover this past year. I don't want to lose the best person I've ever known but I know there's nothing I can do to make a person love me so like a stone she's sinking away from me.

Please help me figure out if I'm being paranoid or if these really are the signs of someone who wants out of a relationship. Sidenote, we are almost 5 years into a long distance relationship to provide some context.

• She picks fights over things I said years ago out of nowhere. We don't have fights very often but they seem almost manufactured or like they come out of some inner frustration/resentment she has with me. These are sometimes very personal attacks at my lifestyle. I like the arts, spend my days as a bookkeeper listening to a lot of music, I work at a theatre, I watch a lot film, play a lot of games, and read a good bit of poetry; she accused me of being entitled and attached to my "consumer world-view."
  • In the last fight we had she asked me to break up with her in the heat of the moment. This was in person and she looked directly in my eyes.
  • During fights she ask why I'm in a relationship with someone she hates.
  • We went from calling almost every night to simply texting and calling once every two weeks.
  • She's not interested in video calling anymore or exchanging photos.
  • We went from visiting once every month and a half or so to going six months without a trip and even then it was a two day thing.
  • I feel like I'm the last to know what's going on in her life anymore aside from complaints about those around her. She just went on a trip across country and I didn't know much of anything that was going on in the trip until after the fact.
  • I'm graduating college in may and she's moving out of her town next may (she's already graduated). She has 0 interest in planning anything about our future lives to match up. I'm clearly not a priority in her future life plans.
  • Today I said "I love you so much." in a text and she said "Stop." I asked what was wrong and she quoted that phrase back at me.
About 9 years ago I had a particularly nasty breakup from a particularly nasty relationship (even got dumped on Christmas) and so I might just be oversensitive to what I see as signs. But every month it feels like she slips farther away but perhaps that's my own paranoia.
Wow, haven't talked to you in a long time. I'd say "how are you?" but this post tells me enough.

This is a difficult question to answer for the simple fact that your listed observations above, are in fact observations made by you, and so could be skewed in and of themselves. Some of them more than others and some not at all, of course. But rather than delve 3rd level meta into your issues, let's just say I kinda agree with your assessment. She seems to be either 1.) Preparing to split up 2.) May even be already seeing someone else/interested in someone else. At the very least your relationship has become a bit hostile. Fights should only happen once in a blue moon, and definitely not involve bringing up old stuff unless there really is unresolved issues from years ago. That usually just means that the fight is about feelings of unhappiness and because there's no real thing to point to, you go and dredge up stuff from before because at least those examples were true at one point, etc.

My advice, if you can stomach it, is to call her on it. Lay it on the line. "You either want to be with me, or not. I'm graduating in May, are we gonna do this, or keep pretending?" It could go one of two ways. She either realizes she could lose you, and makes the necessary changes, or she decides she wants out. Either way, though, YOU must be the focus during this interaction. You're coming to her, because you feel x-kinda way. Besides, you're still young :p You may have invested tons of time/emotion/energy into this thing, but at the end of the day, you can afford to start over if it comes to that. Maybe write a song about it ^-^

And if it does come to that, crikey try something not long-distance lol. Those are the worst (and best, I realize, depending on stuff, but dang it's tough.)

D

Deleted member

This afternoon, the gas light went out in my house and it will be out for about a week. Now my adoptive mother (who is 53 BTW but I am 56 years old myself but that is another story), will have to make Thanksgiving dinner at a relative's house. It is a good thing, though, that one of her sisters lives three minutes away from us so she'll most likely cook over there.

Sayonara :kirby:

mcpon

Smash Journeyman
I went to a McDonalds in order to charge my computer but their outlet was way up there on the wall, unreachable. Then I asked a clerk if they had another outlet and she said, yes, and but that one too was way up there, lol. :(

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Depression is a glorified and overrated concept in the internet, but I'll share my little malady, anyway.

I'm beginning to question myself, my values, goals and, most of all, intelligence.

I've begun to feel lower than society expects me to be, as I've lowered my standards to fit what I believe is the zenith of my intellectual capacity. Everywhere I look, whether it be the internet and its perverse cyberculture, or real life, it appears that everyone knows what they're doing. Meanwhile, I'm a high school dropout due to social isolation and boredom from my teachers and elders teaching the expected curricula incessantly and cyclically.

Honestly, is being average okay to me? Is this enough? I see children below my age achieving a greater understanding of many topics that I learned just recently, and the inferiority complex that flares inside my ego feels like it's about to rupture.

The causes of depression are variable and incredibly complex, and one of them is belittling yourself because of these observations. I question if I'm missing out on a lot of life's blessings because of this... limit.
This is the first time I read someone calling a disease "overrated". You really do read all kinds of nonsense in the internet.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am having serious agressive urges since of today I find hard to control...

D

Deleted member

Recently I've been having a huge problem with school.
My weekly schedule does not at all mesh well with the amount of homework I get, and when I do have time to do my homework, I find myself on the internet instead... For example, I was supposed to work on my history project yesterday, but I only answered a question and a half.
I try very hard to focus on my homework but for whatever reason I just can't. I even told my parents to lock away my 3DS and Wii U, and I can't turn off the internet because I often need it for school purposes (most of my homework requires the use of a computer). I really don't know how to get over my addiction.
It's also hard to work at school, since there's too much noise and there isn't much time.
I think I'm becoming a little mentally unstable, because I literally threw my notebook when my teacher called me out since I was on the phone (I know it wasn't okay. I tried to avoid it, but I didn't see a point when my teacher explained a math problem when I wasn't even close to completing the first one, and she didn't even explain how to solve that math problem.
I'm stressed, frustrated, and kinda depressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Recently I've been having a huge problem with school.
My weekly schedule does not at all mesh well with the amount of homework I get, and when I do have time to do my homework, I find myself on the internet instead... For example, I was supposed to work on my history project yesterday, but I only answered a question and a half.
I try very hard to focus on my homework but for whatever reason I just can't. I even told my parents to lock away my 3DS and Wii U, and I can't turn off the internet because I often need it for school purposes (most of my homework requires the use of a computer). I really don't know how to get over my addiction.
It's also hard to work at school, since there's too much noise and there isn't much time.
I think I'm becoming a little mentally unstable, because I literally threw my notebook when my teacher called me out since I was on the phone (I know it wasn't okay. I tried to avoid it, but I didn't see a point when my teacher explained a math problem when I wasn't even close to completing the first one, and she didn't even explain how to solve that math problem.
I'm stressed, frustrated, and kinda depressed.
No problem cannot be beaten. You have to have the resolve, the will to do this. You CAN do it. (and so can everyone)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I have my Biochem final next Saturday, and unless I perform exceptionally well I will probably have to repeat the course which would mess up my other classes and basically ruin my life.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I have my Biochem final next Saturday, and unless I perform exceptionally well I will probably have to repeat the course which would mess up my other classes and basically ruin my life.
Good luck.

I'm never happy and don't respond to medicine for more than a month or two. I wish people were more rational and pragmatic. Science is the only thing that will save us or the world from us.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Please keep you religious views to yourself.
You are misconstruing what he implied. We all understood.

Even if you wish to discuss theology, of which there are several branches, God / Creator gave us free will. Rizen is entirely correct. Intelligent design or chance; we have tools given to us.

Also, anybody can discuss their religious views if the post is on a personal note, of which many here are.

Disappointed in the odd and baseless rhetoric, nonetheless.

:065:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Do you think we are here by God or chance? And please say why.
Now you want to discuss religious views?

All I was trying to insinuate here, was that Rizen wasn't trying to offend anyone or start conflict.

As for me? Well, maybe another time, friend.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Now you want to discuss religious views?

All I was trying to insinuate here, was that Rizen wasn't trying to offend anyone or start conflict.

As for me? Well, maybe another time, friend.

Point well taken. I also apologize to Rizen.

I also need to self-edit my posts more often for spelling and grammatical mistakes...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Doubt anyone cares, but I passed the Biochem exam I mentioned earlier!

D

Deleted member

Doubt anyone cares, but I passed the Biochem exam I mentioned earlier!
Oh, don't talk like that. Grandma Shizuka left you a like showing you I do care.

Personally, my least favorite class was language arts. That was in 1972 when I started middle school. Even so, I maintained passing grades especially in ninth grade literature and American literature. Ever since I graduated in the class of 1979 I never went to college due to my distaste for literature classes. That is not to say my education was wasted; I took it upon myself to learn new stuff on my own.

Sayonara :kirby:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm POed my wrists were getting better but I pulled my left tendon again and can't play monster hunter. My mom has cancer and my life has been a series of family medical issues for the last 15 years.

Top Bottom