• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Snake Compendium

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
every move snake has can KO except his cypher and taunt

But I have spiked someone against the ledge with the taunt so who knows lol

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
every move snake has can KO except his cypher and taunt

But I have spiked someone against the ledge with the taunt so who knows lol

Yeah. I posted a list of moves that KO in the "D2K's opinion on Snake" thread. One question, though. I didn't get to play around with his throws much. Do any of his throws KO? I don't think they do.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Something I wanted to share with you all:

Snake cannot walljump. Unless you do walljumps differently in Brawl than you do Melee.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Something I wanted to share with you all:

Snake cannot walljump. Unless you do walljumps differently in Brawl than you do Melee.
well besides hitting the opposite direction you can just tap jump and you'll walljump

but no snake can't walljump aside from walljump techs

Ike_Rules_A7X

Smash Rookie
Snake, my 3rd main character, (with Ike and Ganondorf on top). you need to no how to use him. sure there you know as in the basics then there you know how to use him as in prediction with motar, missles and mines. with the mine, snake take around 2 seconds to detenant it, so dont wait till the opp is standing in it, cuz they can just step out the way. so be sure to pick the right time to detenant it. Snake's gulded misslies, dont follow your opp cuz the misslies will time out, but you get lucky with the misslie landing on them wen it flames out, instead, if your opp is in the air the try to predict where he/she will land, if you get it right your opp will land on the misslie, if you miss, better luck next time.
then you hav the mortar. if your opp is in the air and there shooting down at you, for exp Ganons Wizard Kick form above, dont wait til hes near enogh to land it, wait till there half way though the attack then use the mortar and bang! its a hit, then wait till about to hit the floor
BASUCA blast him.
another good quaity of Snake is that you dont free fall after you use Cyther, which is good if your about to fall to your death. TBH i cant see a problem with Snake, if you can plz tell me!

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I did not skim through each page of this thread but I did read the first post and noticed the sliding upsmash wasn't mentioned. Good example of it being used:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhe...lcentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8226

Don't have to watch it all (though it's pretty entertaining from the snake point of view) but the tech is used around :37, 1:38, 2:31.

I think I may have seen this in one of psychomidget's vids too...will he never cease to amaze me? :p

edit: Crud. They removed this in the NA version, I just tested it. Unless I'm doing it wrong...

Lolgolas

Smash Rookie
Snake is a very interesting character to use, because he requires more tactics than fast fingers. Therefore, situations always change.

I tend to play on FD the most. The way I play Snake on this stage, and in general, is that I just ensure the opponent has no way to safely approach me. I try to limit my opponent's movement with C4 so I have a kind of "safe zone", so to speak. If the enemy approaches by air, Nades and usmash help - a lot. You'd be surprised by how many people get caught by that. As long as people try breaching the safe zone without taking damage (and failing), I'm free to faze them with Nades (always cook them with Shield dropping, I seem to have some sort of mystic talent so they always explode on impact without counting). If you see your opponent has your timing down for Nades, try throwing them earlier so they bounce off the shield then explode in his face. Find creative ways to use them. One that's been found is Shield dropping them then allowing the enemy to wail on you while shielded, blasting them over.

Finally, if they do breach the safe zone, I usually bthrow to send them over the edge and reinstall the safe zone on the other side of the map (if they're at high %, I'll edgeguard). Then it starts all over again. If you need to edgeguard, something I found works well is charging up a dsmash near the edge, and stand near. When they try to dodge the mine, shieldgrab and lay them right into it.

If you've ever played a Hunter in World of Warcraft, then you must know the principle of kiting. For those who have not, kiting is leading an opponent from spot to spot while racking up damage, without ever getting hit.

In my opinion, Snake is exactly about that : racking up damage then moving in for the kill. I'm not exactly a pro, but Snake tends to reflect the player's personality and general mindset, therefore different tactics can apply for different people. I'm a more cautious type and I don't like getting hit, so I'm more prone to set traps and avoid engagement until it's on my terms. Killing takes longer that way, but my damage meter remains relatively pristine.

EDIT : I don't know if this is known, but I have one comment and one commentquestion.

-you can use dsmash to dodge Samus's sf+b, or uncharged b. Talk about doing something productive.

-I noticed dash attack goes very very fast. I think it's faster than dash and it's pretty safe, so I suppose it could be used to get around, especially since they removed wavedash.

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Im not trying to be an a hole and star a new thread and call this the "RAAR technique invented by RAAR" but i just think this in intersting. When snake plants a mine or drops a bomb hes usually vunerable to the explosion himslef. But when he grabs someone he takes damage but doesn't flinch when the bomb explodes almost like SAF. However your opponent will go flying (Farther than usual? I think im not sure.) So if you were to say be cooking a grenade and sheild drop it into a grab then let it exlpode. You'll take damage but won't flinch and maby ko your opponent. this also works with his landmins if your grab someone right after you plant it. Very situational but potentionally usefull. I didn't bother looking at your huge guid to see if you mentioned it u probably did i jsut think its cool.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Yea that tech has been seen in various youtube vids. Another fun trick is to launch a USmash then grab em as the mortar comes down but that's a little harder to execute.

L 17

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really been able to do much with the aerials aside from up-air and back-air. The multiple kicks never seem to hit more than once and forward air is far too slow to really get a hit in with. Any advice on that?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
If you want all 4 kicks to connect you have to full jump nair. Assuming you're using the GC controller, to do it right off the ground, press and hold jump and right after that hit A and hold down the jump button. It should sort of look like a rising nair.

Fair isn't for approaching. It's more of a situational edgeguard or a way to fend off incoming opponents as you recover somewhat horizontally (if your timing is right). Use sparingly.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to be a nub, but I'm practicing with Snake (He's up in the air as my main between him and Ike, I can't decide XD) and I'm trying to do this solid slide/snake slide/mortar out of dash attack but I can't do it whether using the C-stick for smashes or the slam control stick up+A method...is there some sort of trick to using it?

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Sorry to be a nub, but I'm practicing with Snake (He's up in the air as my main between him and Ike, I can't decide XD) and I'm trying to do this solid slide/snake slide/mortar out of dash attack but I can't do it whether using the C-stick for smashes or the slam control stick up+A method...is there some sort of trick to using it?
Still practicing using the analog, but the c-stick is relatively easy to use. Just hit c-stick up the MOMENT you make contact with the initial frame of the dash attack.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Meh. We aren't calling it a SWD. And in order to do so, you have to usmash the moment you transition to dash attack. So, it's like running -> dash ->> usmash. I find it easier to do it with the control stick only when I'm doing it without hitting anything. Otherwise, when I'm hitting someone, I use the c-stick.

mogwaimon

Smash Apprentice
Ah, thanks!I'm doing AllStar mode with Snake on Very Hard right now, so I can't exactly practice it intensively, but so far I've been able to do it 75% of the time upon hitting and...0% so far without hitting XD I'll go to training mode sometime and work it.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Lol new technique

While crawling, if you want to turn around, but don't want to get up, use dtilt. While using dtilt, begin crawling in the opposite direction, and when the attack ends, Snake will have turned around.

As for what you can use it for... Avoiding lasers? Staying low to the ground? It doesn't matter, because this is an option, and the more options one has, the better.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Snake's first hit on the f-tilt (the knee) I believe causes (random?) tripping. It happened once in a match and I accidentally fsmashed, instead of finishing the 2nd hit of the ftilt, and the trip stun was enough for it to connect. That and I don't think my opponent expected to be tripped.

Then I tried testing it in training mode just spamming the first hit of ftilt and it seems like it's completely random, but that it happens more often on taller characters. I tested on Toon Link and Marth, the latter tripping more often. Not sure if this thing has a sweetspot or not, but I think damage matters too.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Wait, they trip? As in, they flip over on their bums like silly people? Using the first hit of ftilt?

I'm trying this right now.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Wait, they trip? As in, they flip over on their bums like silly people? Using the first hit of ftilt?

I'm trying this right now.
Yeah It's a chance, I have no idea what affects when they trip though

I was messing with it against my friend and apparantly if you time it perfectly you can continuously land the first hit of the Ftilt and they cant do anything due to the stun of the knee. It was at higher percents and I only tried it on Zelda so I don't know if it works of everone

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I still think this is somewhat random, unfortunately, but when it happens and your reflexes are quick enough, you can suck them into another jab or f-tilt combo, or add more f-tilt knees in the hopes of more tripping >.>

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Ah ok here's a nice little trick I found after messing with jabs and such. Not revolutionary but I feel it's pretty useful.

Jab once, then f-tilt. If you time your button presses, it comes out just as fast ( I can barely tell the difference or else it's just barely slower) as the standard A,A,A. So Snake jabs to stun and you get a free ftilt. Tacks on damage to your ftilt, AND it has the advantage of being able to hit shorter/crouching characters. (The final high kick in the AAA combo usually misses pika -.-).

Anyway, it's another trick to add to Snake's awesome compendium.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to have to try that, ******, and you too, rusty. I think that it's possible that the Knee only has a set stun-time it can give. Therefore, if I'm fast enough, I can possibly combo to a more charged-up up move that I haven't been abusing, like utilt, or maybe dtilt for an nair/uair/bair combo.

Also, I was wondering if the initial set up of the mortar has a set knockback, because I noticed that when I hit people with the launcher, they tend to fly up to a certain, specific, shared height. Something else I'm going to want to mess with.

Jeff Highwind

Smash Ace
Ah ok here's a nice little trick I found after messing with jabs and such. Not revolutionary but I feel it's pretty useful.

Jab once, then f-tilt. If you time your button presses, it comes out just as fast ( I can barely tell the difference or else it's just barely slower) as the standard A,A,A. So Snake jabs to stun and you get a free ftilt. Tacks on damage to your ftilt, AND it has the advantage of being able to hit shorter/crouching characters. (The final high kick in the AAA combo usually misses pika -.-).

Anyway, it's another trick to add to Snake's awesome compendium.
Oh wow, I diddnt know you can do that. Also I notice that the Ftilt has next to no lag so you can also use another tilt like Utilt or DTilt to pop em up if they are at low percentages.

If it's possible though, can you confirm being able to do the following:
A A > Ftilt > Dtilt > Uair

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
So yea snake and Ike are both my nuber ones (iam awsome with both so i don't see anyreason to call one of the my #2) And ive come up with a few tactics that seem to work well online against good players.

When i nock someone off the stage I like to spam the motar (usmash) rigt at the edge. The bomb will either arc infron of snake or behind him. The front one flys up and then goes of the edge of the stage and the one that lands behind you keeps them from..well landing behind you. If your facing ike charge the shots half way so there in the air longer. That way when he Aeithers you thers a bomb there to protect you from further damamge when he comes back up.

This one is my favorite. Take out a grenade tossit. Your opponent doges. Do a dashing roll and hit your opponent and pick up the frag. You could do a solid slide as well but only if your doing this fast. Then either throw it in the air or jump near your opponnet and air dodge as it explodes. Snake is so GD COOL! This takes practice if you tryit in a serious match without practiceing chances are its going to explode before you throw it. Anyways i love doing this.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Found another interesting thing that might be of use with more practice. I was just messing around with it on training mode. Theoretically, it should make Snake's tilts more versatile, and we know that's where his brute strength lies.

SH->immediately air dodge (momentum carries your air dodge towards the direction you short-hopped) and then immediately jab/tilt attack when you land. No lag from airdodge? Yep. =O

Now to me, it seemed like the tilt (I used the ftilt and uptilt mostly) was able to come out just as you landed, as if you were just standing normally and tilted.

Applications?

** Well, basically you get invincibility frames right before you tilt. Well **** that's pretty good isn't it? Better than just simply running up towards them vulnerable.

** The short-hop, air-dodge can perhaps be used a safer approach or retreat, and it might mindgame your opponent and let them put down their guard. This is similar to the empty short hops in melee (but Snake can't really do anything out of his empty short hops lol).

** You can air dodge right past them and land right behind them, and get this...best of all, you can turn around when you land! It takes a bit of getting used to, but essentially you SH, air dodge and hit the opposite direction (tilt is more like it) on the control stick immediately as you land, and Snake will face the other way, and once again you can tilt right as you land. (I was doing sh->air-dodge->turnaround tilts for a while just enjoying how cool it looked lol). I think I'm making this turnaround process slower than it sounds, but in reality it happens almost instantly.

** Maybe..just maybe if your dodge makes the opponent shield, you can turnaround c4 stick. Crazy, but who knows.

This needs more testing I'm sure, in order to find more practical uses or to see if it actually works in competitive play (haven't had the chance to test that cuz im busy)....maybe it doesn't only apply to him....but anyway, fellow Snakes, have a go at it and lemme know if it's feasible or garbage :chuckle:

Snaaaake!

Smash Cadet
That sounds absolutely crazy. Most of these advanced tacticis, as I think of them, I'm no good at, but I've got to give this a shot.

jedidove

Smash Rookie
So yea snake and Ike are both my nuber ones (iam awsome with both so i don't see anyreason to call one of the my #2) And ive come up with a few tactics that seem to work well online against good players.

When i nock someone off the stage I like to spam the motar (usmash) rigt at the edge. The bomb will either arc infron of snake or behind him. The front one flys up and then goes of the edge of the stage and the one that lands behind you keeps them from..well landing behind you. If your facing ike charge the shots half way so there in the air longer. That way when he Aeithers you thers a bomb there to protect you from further damamge when he comes back up.

This one is my favorite. Take out a grenade tossit. Your opponent doges. Do a dashing roll and hit your opponent and pick up the frag. You could do a solid slide as well but only if your doing this fast. Then either throw it in the air or jump near your opponnet and air dodge as it explodes. Snake is so GD COOL! This takes practice if you tryit in a serious match without practiceing chances are its going to explode before you throw it. Anyways i love doing this.
This seems like it has a lot of potential. Skip the throwing part though. Just shield drop a nade, pick it up, jump at target, airdodge right as it explodes. It would take some serious timing but it could be an awesome tactic if done right. Could be a good approach too. Pick up nade, dash in, shorthop airdodge as it explodes, maybe combo into utilt. It could also work for aerial approaches. Grab nade, jump into air opponent and airdodge, hopefully they will attack you and maybe their attack would detonate the nade? You could turn yourself into a walking bomb :)

Speaking of which...could this be applied to C4? Plant the C4 on yourself (can this be done?), detonate in the air, and somehow manage to airdodge in between the detonation and explosion (I'm pretty sure there's a slight gap).

Someone elaborate on this! I'll try and test these ideas when I get the chance but I'd love to see someone else give it a go.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
C4 cannot be planted on yourself. And your idea is somewhat more... dangerous. Because if you mess up, you could get blown up and possibly fsmashed like noone's business.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
** You can air dodge right past them and land right behind them, and get this...best of all, you can turn around when you land! It takes a bit of getting used to, but essentially you SH, air dodge and hit the opposite direction (tilt is more like it) on the control stick immediately as you land, and Snake will face the other way, and once again you can tilt right as you land. (I was doing sh->air-dodge->turnaround tilts for a while just enjoying how cool it looked lol). I think I'm making this turnaround process slower than it sounds, but in reality it happens almost instantly.
You can F-tilt in any direction instantaneously, no matter what direction you're facing, so there's no need to "turn yourself around" once you land. Just input the air dodge, and then tilt the control stick in the "opposite" direction while spamming A and you'll immediately F-tilt in that direction the moment you hit the ground (at least, according to your finding you would ... I have yet to test this myself.)

This is a very nice find. I will definitely be giving it some good testing when I get home tonight.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
You can F-tilt in any direction instantaneously, no matter what direction you're facing, so there's no need to "turn yourself around" once you land. Just input the air dodge, and then tilt the control stick in the "opposite" direction while spamming A and you'll immediately F-tilt in that direction the moment you hit the ground (at least, according to your finding you would ... I have yet to test this myself.)

This is a very nice find. I will definitely be giving it some good testing when I get home tonight.
Yea...I realized that after messing with this tech some more. That's why it's much trickier, though possible, to do turn-around dtilt/uptilt.

Top Bottom