• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Ultimate Snake Compendium

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
I'm not going to be shy about this, thats just plain f**king lazy on the devs part.

Wow.

Perhaps some hope remains for the western version of the game though?!
for sure the english version will be a 100x better

all because David Hayter will be voicing Snake

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Box Edgeguard possible (like Luigi taunt spike)???
well the taunt is much longer than luigis so they'd have to be pretty bad to get hit by it, plus I don't think it spikes

I also added several tournament matches of snake to the The Official Solid Snake Video Archive Thread :)

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
PsychoMidget, those tourney matches are amazing. Uair to up-B to uair surprised me, wish I'd thought of it.

I don't have easy access to Brawl right now, so could I ask you to test something for me? Try landing a down-B on your opponent. I think you have to be in the air and on top of them, rest style, but I know it's possible and I'd like to know the applicability. Maybe air-dodge to down-B?

As for this thread, I noticed some stuff in the down-B section. It detonates after a set amount of time automatically, and it can only be detonated with down-B, not just any B move. You can down-B in the air, both to lay and to donate, and when you lay it, it falls straight down with no momentum.

Also, if you're hit while holding a grenade, Snake drops it immediately. Stupid Pit arrows.

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
PsychoMidget, those tourney matches are amazing. Uair to up-B to uair surprised me, wish I'd thought of it.

I don't have easy access to Brawl right now, so could I ask you to test something for me? Try landing a down-B on your opponent. I think you have to be in the air and on top of them, rest style, but I know it's possible and I'd like to know the applicability. Maybe air-dodge to down-B?

As for this thread, I noticed some stuff in the down-B section. It detonates after a set amount of time automatically, and it can only be detonated with down-B, not just any B move. You can down-B in the air, both to lay and to donate, and when you lay it, it falls straight down with no momentum.

Also, if you're hit while holding a grenade, Snake drops it immediately. Stupid Pit arrows.
haha thanks the U-air to Up-B U-air was something I wanted to try and it worked well :)

I don't have very easy access to the game either :[ I'd love to know whether or not you can/how to place C4 on people

as for grenades, being hit does seem to make you drop them, you can also force yourself to drop it by shielding

and... enemies can catch them and throw them back, but you should time it to where it blows up around when it gets to them, I believe its 5 seconds after you pull the trigger

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
I know for a fact that you can plant C4 on people. I first noticed it during a match where I hit down-B to detonate a mine I thought I placed in the wrong spot, and the explosion was on Ike, who was jumping at the top of the screen. I duplicated the effect in a match against a R.O.B as well. If the other person doesn't see it happen, it makes a quick KO when they jump.

Standard grenade timers (in MGS and I think in real life) are 6 seconds long, so it's probably 6 seconds.

You'll probably get to play Brawl again before I do, and if not you, then maybe someone else reading this thread, so I'd like anyone available to test these things. Another thing I wanted to test was alternative grenade throws by dropping a short-range grenade and then picking it back up to throw like a normal item. If anyone could try these things, it'd be much appreciated.

But yeah PsychoMidget you're like my hero. Those matches were really good. Maybe we'll wifi someday kekekekeke.

Heflito

Smash Cadet
Wow, if only there was a thread like this for every character, very informative.

Maph

Smash Cadet
Hats off to you good sir!

A thrilling and informative thread indeed.

ripa9

Smash Apprentice
It would be much better if Snakes forward smash would be down tilt instaed.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Yes, grenades are just like turnips/link bombs/etc. Snake just has a different mechanicsm for the initial throw. If you hold them until the timer almost runs out, there's no danger of the other guy grabbing it back. Mix them up and sometimes they'll grab a grenade to throw it back and it blows up in their face.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
We also came across a new trick/technique/discovery. If you perform a grab on Snake's helicopter while he is recovering he will fall and he will not be able to recover again.
Per WiFiwars.com - http://www.wifiwars.com/?q=node/93

X_x

Hope this doesn't become a problem.

Lee Harris said:
No, it won't make him unplayable. You can only do it to him whenever he is close to the stage and recovering. You could always float up away from the stage and then DI towards it once you're higher.

Dr. Stormlocke

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much for spending the time to make this thread. Snake is the reason I finally decided to register here, so it's awesome to be greeted with such a detailed guide.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Can you do other b moves after your upB? For instance, could you drop C4, fastfall, and detonate it on yourself to get your upB back?

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
Can you do other b moves after your upB? For instance, could you drop C4, fastfall, and detonate it on yourself to get your upB back?
you know... there was one time i dropped c4 while fast falling and detonated it before it hit the ground, i was extremely close to the explosion so I suppose it's possible

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I saw in a recent video that Snake can just walk up to an opponent and stick the C4 on them.

Is there any way for them to get it off? Because that's fantastic!

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
Although I don't plan on making Snake my #1 character (that goes to the StarFox trio) the sheer ridiculous possibilities of his exploding things makes me feel like an evil genius inside. (no pun intended)
Here's to looking forward to having Snake as a strong secondary.

Parthenon

Smash Apprentice
Yes you can C4 people. I usually do it after getting hit up off the ground. When you're recovering, they'll try to uair you or something, and you can airdodge through it and C4 them on the way down. Also, crawling up to someone using the crouch mechanic and sticking them with C4 works sometimes. If you stick a person, the noise is different, and you just wait for them to be far away from you before you detonate.

Anti-

Smash Rookie
does a C4 on someone auto-detonate after the 20 seconds (i think...) is over?

Curbside_Prophet

Smash Cadet
I have never been able to stick it to someone maybe Im doing it wrong but you can detonate it in mid air.but its hard to not hit yourslef because of the size of the blast

RAAR

Smash Apprentice
Old news, right now people are trying to figure out how to consistently do this.
It wasn't anywere in the guide so i thought id just mention it. So your saying it doesn't always work or its just hard to do safely?

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Hard to do safely. Think Jigglypuff's rest move, only with a couple frames of wind up, and even then, they don't even flinch.

Kamaji

Smash Ace
My teammate and I have been succesfully using this strategy in tournaments:

First I stick a c4 to him, then he goes and chases someone down and touches them (which sticks the c4 to our opponent), then wait for a good time to blow them up. I'll try to find one of my tourney matches on youtube in a minute for you guys.

sorry, none of those ones got recorded...

PsychoMidget

Smash Lord
My teammate and I have been succesfully using this strategy in tournaments:

First I stick a c4 to him, then he goes and chases someone down and touches them (which sticks the c4 to our opponent), then wait for a good time to blow them up. I'll try to find one of my tourney matches on youtube in a minute for you guys.

sorry, none of those ones got recorded...
Gimpy and I also do that, but none of our matches have been uploaded

I guess Glenn just hates doubles

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
This compendium is getting less ultimate by the minute. It could really use a rewrite with less speculation and more fact. The author should be compiling information from our comments and from the other posts. I suppose that once everyone has the game, it will become obvious what's common knowledge and what's valuable information (worth writing about). In the meantime, there are several things that need updating:

cypher camera deals 3% damage if your opponent touches the it while/after Snake lets go of it. not sure about touching the camera while Snake is still on it.

down-air doesn't spike, last hit can KO (you imply this talking about Dedede, but it's probably good to just say that it can KO).

dash attack can KO

Top Bottom