• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Twilight Series by Stephanie meyer

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
I made it through about 4 chapters. I could be coaxed through more, but I'd need a reason to. I'm fickle like that.

Really though, we've got one vote for, one against. That's not terrible odds. Should I keep going?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Finally, I can vent about this piece of **** book. First chapter - I made it through the first 10 pages, forcefully. It was written SO horribly, so wordy, and so painfully.

I showed my friend, who is admittedly not a reader, the first page, then summarized it in 2 sentences. Basically, Stephanie Meyer is just like J.K. Rowling in terms of horrible writing via adjectives, but Rowling could do some great characterization, whereas Meyer cannot.

D

Deleted member

Alot of girls at my school happen to read it alot. They go crazy over it.

I might pick up a copy. Am i going to regret something? 0.0

SMBEffect

Smash Apprentice
Well, I personally enjoy it. I'm not crazy about it or anything, but I found the books entertaining, fun, and interesting. Of course it's not the most wonderful writing in the world, but it does have an interesting premise that is enjoyable up until the end. Basically, the book is aimed towards it's target audience and it achieves its goal. It's probably not written towards the audience of this website, but that doesn't mean someone from SWF can't pick it up and enjoy it.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
The Twilight books are stupid. Every charater in it is a sue. Bella somehow manages to get impregnated by a vampire (despite the fact that he has no blood or anything of the sort in his body, so he couldn't even get a boner) and has the ultima-sue child. Is telepathic, can talk when shes like four days old, is strong, is fast, is beautiful, had no baby fat, and will be banging a werewolf be the time she's seven.

Oh, and Stephanie Meyer can't write to save her life.

graves

Smash Journeyman
Really though, we've got one vote for, one against. That's not terrible odds. Should I keep going?[/QUOTE]
Yes!

Alot of girls at my school happen to read it alot. They go crazy over it.

I might pick up a copy. Am i going to regret something? 0.0
No regrets. It's the best!

The Twilight books are stupid. Every charater in it is a sue. Bella somehow manages to get impregnated by a vampire (despite the fact that he has no blood or anything of the sort in his body, so he couldn't even get a boner) and has the ultima-sue child. Is telepathic, can talk when shes like four days old, is strong, is fast, is beautiful, had no baby fat, and will be banging a werewolf be the time she's seven.
Oh, and Stephanie Meyer can't write to save her life.
Lets see YOU Write that good. :lick:

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anyone with a third grade education could write better and having critiqued Ocon's work, he can.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I read the first page, and i put it down in disgust. Seriously the Rouge Squadron Instruction booklet is more engaging then that. Hell because of that book 3/4ths of the girls at my school are probably going as vampires.. urrrg :urg:

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Because of this book girls think vampires are meant to be sexy.
Because of this book girls think vampires are here to do good.
Because of this book girls think guys are supposed to be perfect, just like Edward, 'cause he's super sexy hot and dazzles everything.
Because of this book I pretty much lost my girlfriend.
Robert Pattinson can suck it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Vampires ARE supposed to be sexy. The vampire story is about eroticism, sexuality, and sensuality.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Vampires ARE supposed to be sexy. The vampire story is about eroticism, sexuality, and sensuality.
And about secretly drawing valley-girls that are about as shallow as a martini glass to hog up bandwidth to join online sites dedicated to this piece of sh*t book and suddenly give my connection 2/5 bars, then suddenly giving my step brother the urge to go online and watch

Hold on- GET OFF OF BANGBROS DANNY

Where was I?

Pas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Antilochos
3DS FC
2277-6656-7895
Because of this book girls think vampires are meant to be sexy.
Because of this book girls think vampires are here to do good.
Because of this book girls think guys are supposed to be perfect, just like Edward, 'cause he's super sexy hot and dazzles everything.
Because of this book I pretty much lost my girlfriend.
.... This isn't because you're an evil vampire, is it?

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts
♥Hmmmmm.. I actually thought the books looked quite interesting. (Although you shouldn't judge a book by its cover....literally this time.) ;)

♥Many of my friends are reading this series. I'm pretty sure it's aimed at preteens-teenage girls. I fit into that group but I think 90% of the people on this site don't. ;)

♥I am actually thinking of picking this book up for a read. ;)

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Basically, Stephanie Meyer is just like J.K. Rowling in terms of horrible writing via adjectives,
Yes, but Meyer gets more points for being an obnoxious laggard in the craze.

but Rowling could do some great characterization, whereas Meyer cannot.

YES! BECAUSE WHEN TEENAGERS ARE ANGRY THEY TALK LIKE THIS! FOR PAGES, EVEN!

I hate Rowling, but no where near as much as the people trying to follow in her footsteps.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yes, but Meyer gets more points for being an obnoxious laggard in the craze.

YES! BECAUSE WHEN TEENAGERS ARE ANGRY THEY TALK LIKE THIS! FOR PAGES, EVEN!
GET AWAY FROM MY DAUGHTER YOU *****!!!!
-Molly

Any ways i tried reading it again and manage to get to page 2 and put it down in complete boredom. Don't bother asking me what it was i forgot it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Just to put it into perspective...

The book's purpose is to capture the romantic fantasies that young girls have. It is entirely an appeal to emotion. The reason it captivates young girls is that it kinda-sorta-accurately puts those emotions on paper.

If boys love comic book heroes with flaws and inexperience, then girls will love the immature, dependent, and over-clingy Bella Swan.

That's the only thing the book does well. I give it that.

Everything else is horrible. The story is written terribly. Meyer is an amateur that somehow hit it on the ball for big sales. Yes, I read it. Yes, I read it because my best friend (a girl) told me to.

I also think Bella sets a very bad example for girls with her being way too dependent. The series ends with sexual gratification and a flawless, boring, fantasy end. I hope girls take this as it is: a fantasy that will never come true. It's a nice dream, but they need to be a little more mature than this if they really want to get into an ideal relationship. I'm sure more educated girls realize this and will teach it to their younger counterparts.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
]I hope girls take this as it is: a fantasy that will never come true. It's a nice dream, but they need to be a little more mature than this if they really want to get into an ideal relationship. I'm sure more educated girls realize this and will teach it to their younger counterparts.
This is what makes me angry. None of the girls I know can realize that. They all the sudden expect a perfectly perfect dazzle machine to show up. Including my ex-girlfriend. D:

Darkslash

Smash Master
I also think Bella sets a very bad example for girls with her being way too dependent. The series ends with sexual gratification and a flawless, boring, fantasy end. I hope girls take this as it is: a fantasy that will never come true. It's a nice dream, but they need to be a little more mature than this if they really want to get into an ideal relationship. I'm sure more educated girls realize this and will teach it to their younger counterparts.
Please tell this to the girls in my grade who 99% read this book are also honor roll students.

Vampires that sparkle like diamonds? YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. Whats going to make them blow up into a cloud of dust?

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That set me off: the word Romance is so misused. Romantic people are people who are associated with the Romantic period in literature, that is a close association with nature, the belief in several philosophies, etc. not "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, EDWARD! MAKE ME A VAMPIRE!" That is ********, not romantic. To call Twilight a romance, in the truer since of the word, not the false way with how it's another term for love, is to do an injustice to literature completely.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
That set me off: the word Romance is so misused. Romantic people are people who are associated with the Romantic period in literature, that is a close association with nature, the belief in several philosophies, etc. not "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, EDWARD! MAKE ME A VAMPIRE!" That is ********, not romantic. To call Twilight a romance, in the truer since of the word, not the false way with how it's another term for love, is to do an injustice to literature completely.
Not to mention that the whole "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, EDWARD! MAKE ME A VAMPIRE!" part can be placed entirely on teenage hormones, seeing as the first book took place over a course of about 1~3 months. Love doesn't happen like that.

And it still annoys me when people say that Bella, Edward, and their kid aren't blatant sues.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Amen to this.

I swear when some one talks about Twilight in class i go pheonix wright "OMG I'M ****ING LOSING" mode. Plus they try to save the movie even though critics said it wasn't good.

smashbot226

Smash Master
I wish I was a woman so I could have your babies.

I tried to read Twilight, but that article made me LOL.

Seriously, I think I threw up a little in my mouth. Blech, she's worse than R.L. Stine.

She's worse than the Holocaust...

She's worse than Dylan Tnga...

She's worse than The Omen's remake...

She's worse than 4chan...

She's worse than Captain Falcon in Brawl...

She's worse than her own book- well, maybe not.

She's worse than the movie's stale, wooden actors.

She's worse than the horrible derived plot.

She's worse than all of her "action" scenes.

She's worse than all of her horde- crazed, "ZOMGEDWARD"-ian, fangirls who as soon as they've seen the movie will obsess over that pasty-skin f*ggot.

She's worse than Gamespot.

She's worse than Hiroshima.

She's worse than Anthrax.

She's worse than Trolls, Emos, and Camwhores combined.

And finally...

She's worse than George W. Bush.

Waluigi911

Smash Lord
I don't think there's anything wrong with Capt. Falcon, Gamespot, and actors. Same goes for R.L. Stine, I grew up with Goosebumps.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really hate this series. Biggest blind-conformist fad in the ****ing world right now.

These books have been out for what... a couple years now? Give or take a few, no one read them until suddenly a movie was being made. Agh... pisses me off.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The whole thing is about abstinence. The boy vampire wants to "bite her", aka go all the way with her, and she's willing, but he has reservations about it.

The premise of the book, though, is based around the idea that vampires can be attractive to women. This fails when women realize that her vampire boyfriend would want to eat her our while she's on her period, because it'd be like a feast for him

Top Bottom