• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The true cause of tripping

gnuf

Smash Apprentice
I WANT EVERYONE TO READ THIS.

Lucas can trip people with his down A move. not down smash. you do it 2-3 times fast it will trip them.

So tripping is not random!

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
Nice try, but tripping is random. This has been irrefutably proven to me by a video showing three marios in practice mode, all controlled simultaneously by the same player, all tripping at random times. If this were true, they would all trip at the same time because they would all exceed their threshold together, being controlled by the same movements.
This doesn't prove that the chance isn't smaller when you dash correctly.

Not saying I buy it yet, but you can't use this logic to discredit the theory.

gnuf said:

Lucas can trip people with his down A move. not down smash. you do it 2-3 times fast it will trip them.

There can be multiple causes to tripping., one of them being random chance.

ZäP

Smash Apprentice

Sorry, but your wrong, tripping caused by a move is a additional effect that comes out at certain percentage or in certain situation(in ssbm zelda dtilt would make your opponent spin, poor example I know), which means Lucases dtilt has this tripping as addition effect to the other factors such as damage & stun.
Also couple of other character can trip people with moves though my memory doesn't serve me right now so I can't give you an example.

Tripping is random at the moment, though this might brove it wrong, I'd say this idea that almightypancake has been testing needs more time and testing say around thousand tests more? I'd do it myself but my brawl hasn't arrived yet(curse you nintendo and your disrespect to PAL territories:urg:).

The_Trap

Smash Cadet
if there was more to tripping than random int, i would be massively happy

although it is fun to tell my opponent that they fell for the trap when they trip

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
This doesn't prove that the chance isn't smaller when you dash correctly.

Not saying I buy it yet, but you can't use this logic to discredit the theory.

There can be multiple causes to tripping., one of them being random chance.
in order to truly test this, you need to make sure its a true 90 degree angle.

in order to test that, you need a machine, or some way to perfectly measure a protactor in there, human error is too much of a factor to truly test that theory

DragonRider-ofSmashBros

Smash Apprentice
Grinnell, IA...... or something like that
I still dont think its completely random.

For people that say that its random because they trip at the beginning of the match, that doesn't mean anything. No one ever said what the % of tripping was at the beginning of the match so maybe it has a way better chance than .01% maybe DK has a higher percent then... lets say Pikachu. Therefore the DK might trip at the beginning of the match while Pikachu takes longer to trip.

People saying that the Wii mote disproves this theory, it doesn't. Like others have said, it has no C-stick so you have to make up for it somehow and this is how.

Finally people saying that AMPs tests prove nothing, they might not prove a lot, but the results still make it look like tripping isn't random. 7 out of 500 is still different than 15 out of 500. that means that you have a chance of tripping half the time you usually would if you hit the direction parallel to the ground.

Also I have a question.... if the ground goes at a slant, would you go parallel to the slant?

Elbow

Smash Apprentice
in order to truly test this, you need to make sure its a true 90 degree angle.

in order to test that, you need a machine, or some way to perfectly measure a protactor in there, human error is too much of a factor to truly test that theory
Yes, well, we need testing with all control types for it to mean much anyhow.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
I still dont think its completely random.

For people that say that its random because they trip at the beginning of the match, that doesn't mean anything. No one ever said what the % of tripping was at the beginning of the match so maybe it has a way better chance than .01% maybe DK has a higher percent then... lets say Pikachu. Therefore the DK might trip at the beginning of the match while Pikachu takes longer to trip.

People saying that the Wii mote disproves this theory, it doesn't. Like others have said, it has no C-stick so you have to make up for it somehow and this is how.

Finally people saying that AMPs tests prove nothing, they might not prove a lot, but the results still make it look like tripping isn't random. 7 out of 500 is still different than 15 out of 500. that means that you have a chance of tripping half the time you usually would if you hit the direction parallel to the ground.

Also I have a question.... if the ground goes at a slant, would you go parallel to the slant?
you contend that tripping is not completely random because there is no evidence that outright supports it.

i can also contend that tripping is random because of a lack of evidence to suggest otherwise. do you really think that the player who performed the tests dashed flawlessly/imperfectly 500 times? i believe novalombardia just brought this up - there is no way we can determine if that data were completely accurate, because it is in human nature to commit small errors.

NoVaLombardia

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but it's not hard to make it precise, find a simple machine to assist you

i don't feel like testing stuff :p

i think its safe to assume that GC controllers measure to the angle instead of a fraction of the angle? or perhaps by 2 degrees? people will have to test that out as well.

OFFTOPIC:
One thing i find annoying about a GC controller to a Playstation controller is that the analog border is split up into a octagon, so you sort of 'snap' into a direction, making it hard to reach those 22.5 degree angles that i like to use with fox or falco :p

ON TOPIC after all?

but wait, this might make the testing oh so easier to line up with a simple protractor!!! TAPE IT DOWN!!!

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
How could you test with the classic controller? Without grooves, it's virtually impossible to know if it is perfectly parallel or not...isn't it?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Here is a thought. To avoid getting flamed, I do believe tripping is random to a certain extent. I don't know whether or not tripping is related to this thread but I think tripping can be caused by one not using all of the moves given to a character. I have had many competitive matches where I have never tripped. One match that I did trip I noticed I was neglecting a move. My only explanation for those who argue about tripping at the start of a match is that maybe the game carried over that trip to the next match. Idk.

This could also explain why I trip a lot more in training mode when I practice the same thing over and over.

Another thought which is probably not true but, I know they put in the diminishing attacks to prevent overuse of one move but maybe tripping is another way to reset that counter and to punish you for it. It could be there way of actually showing you to use more variety.

So maybe the three ways to reset your diminishing attacks counter is:
1. Grabbing someone and smacking them
2. Use different attacks (gradual decrease)
3. Tripping (instant reset with a wt* is wrong with you warning! :) :) j/k)

Just a thought.

votescu

Smash Rookie
If this is true, then explain how the vid of 3 marios being controlled by one wavebird yielded random tripping results.
He has got you there, i really don't think there is any secret to tripping, its just a little annoying easter egg type thing Sakurai put in for kicks. A lot of people just look too deeply into things xD

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
MookieRah- "If this is true, then explain how the vid of 3 marios being controlled by one wavebird yielded random tripping results."

Simple, according to that Theory, the tripping builds up, but is STILL random ONLY if you to not dash completely parrallel. So the person controlling the 3 Marios could be messing up the Dash causing them to build up RANDOM Trips. Get it?

So say the person did not dash parrallel for 3 dashes, each mario could have a different chance to trip since tripping is random WHEN you dont dash comepletely parrallel

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I don't get it, can someone please explain this to me in layman's terms?
For nearly every point against the theory, there has been a counterpoint, but here's the idea:
If you move the control stick perfectly parrallel to the ground (so that you move it straight into the groove that is parallel to the ground), then you're chances of tripping will be about cut in half.

Top Bottom