• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Top 5 Brawl [ US | CAN | MEX]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
They both perform about the same in their respective regions of roughly similar strength. Tbh I consider BC a bit better than Oregon, but thats neither here nor there.

If I was going to make an argument in this thread about it, Id rely mostly on the tournament they both attended where Captain L beat essentially everyone in Oregon, including their first ranked player that plays and beats Brick constantly. Outside that theres little hard data.

On a personal note from playing each of them on wifi and watching their videos, I find that Captain L is noticeably (though not significantly) better than Brick. I know Brick falls back on wifi as an excuse for doing poorly online (and he may get upset with me for saying this), but outside wifi shenanigans I know what to watch for with habits, mix-ups, etc. with pikachu. And what I see on videos, experience from playing them, and how they perform in tournament matches up. Enough to where Im confident in my opinion. In addition theres several other good pikachu players who share my opinion as well.
Captain L is not better than Brick.
Why not?

Asa

Smash Hero
have you seen the video where i 3 stock captain L, after failing to 3 stock scrubs at a local? :awesome:

BC is not a stronger region than WA/OR, and even OR alone has a stronger player pool than we do. Landon doesn't do terribly well in BC, he's never broken 3rd

We have:
firefly
bundt
captainL
breez

they (wa/or) have
felix
jem
bladewise
viviff
eggz
nerd
t0mmy

i have offline experience with both players, and while captainL is a more technical and patient player, brick tended to catch on to habits faster

although not really important, we got ***** in crews at jan GC lol

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
He said BC > OR, not BC > WA/OR. Huge difference. =/ Only two of the players you listed there are Oregon players. I wouldn't put much of weight on that crew battle either, because they had their 4 best players, and we certainly didn't. I still think OR is better though. Not-sandbaggy t0mmy easily tips it in their favour when it does happen. =p

Edit: Regarding Captain L vs. Brick, I can only really say that they're pretty close IMO. I kinda go back and forth with both of them, though the one day I played both of them in the same tournament, I lost to Captain L immediately after beating Brick (though L was on fire that day).

:005:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Unless Captain L has decent olimar experience I'd be surprised if he'd done well. Olimar is a nightmare for pikachu. Once again imo, I don't find either to be better at catching onto habits more than the other, however I do think brick is more knowledgeable on MUs than Captain L is.

And yeah, Im not including washington. If you remove washington from that list you have viviff and t0mmy. I wont argue about BC or Oregon being better though.

Asa

Smash Hero
I guess you're right there, it's just that I see WA and OR together at enough tournaments to just view them as one region. OR is probably slightly better than us.

Brick gives me a much harder time in mm's and the like, and to be honest, L has more olimar experience since he plays with me a lot more than brick does, while Brick has no olimars in his region.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Brick performs about the same as Captain L in a harder region. I've played them both (it was on wifi) and Brick just seems like a better player to me.

I've always watched a lot of both tier videos extensively. Brick is more patient and an overall better player, imo.

It's a toss up - but my vote would go towards Brick.

Asa

Smash Hero
Brick performs about the same as Captain L in a harder region. I've played them both (it was on wifi) and Brick just seems like a better player to me.

I've always watched a lot of both tier videos extensively. Brick is more patient and an overall better player, imo.

It's a toss up - but my vote would go towards Brick.
funny, i always thought L was more patient haha

Tagxy

Smash Lord
The issue I find with brick is that theres a difference between being patient and camping, and I find that brick is camping moreso than being patient. Admittedly it's something he's good at. However once you consistently slice through the camping with an intelligent aggressive approach, his secondary strategies arent too strong or become less reliable.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Okay, so to all you idiots and Nick Riddle who thought I said I beat ESAM with Falco. I never said I did so you guys are being stupid.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I've never played brick offline (I will at genesis), but I have played captainL offline. I will say I am a huge fan of captainL, and I think he will one day be the best in BC... But he's not very consistent and loses to what I think are not great players. IMO, the only really great players BC has are bundtcak and firefly. Firefly plays yoshi, so he kinda gets wrecked sometimes, but I find breez to be a smart MK with 0match-up knowledge, and everyone else just decent. CaptainL is pretty good at teams, I'll give him that, but when he can't even get top3 consistently in BC, idk if he should really be on that top5 best mains in north america. I think Lamb has better results, and should be placed on the list accordingly.

I can't say much about brick except that he does awful on the ladder. He gave me a little trouble, but overall an easy win. Then again I play GaW, and I think GaW ***** pika pretty bad.

Sorry for flaming/putting down regions and players, but I just gotta lay it all down.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Syko (lamb) has been doing very well lately. I used to find his pikachu very sloppy, but hes really cleaned up his playstyle lately and been beating people he used to lose to.

Still, L came to the US and took some names. While syko is doing well, it's hard to tell if its just because of the region hes in.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I do not see Nova Scotia being much worse than BC. Hopefuly Firefly can play their players and really report with accuracy.

Xaltis

Smash Hero
Next Level Lan Presents: Smash Derpfest! -- Results:

Brawl Singles:

1: Seibrik ($109.20)
2: Red Halberd ($62.40)
3: Xaltis ($31.20)
4: HRnut ($15.60)
5: Trump
5: esam
7: Shaky
7: Mampam
9: D-tor
9: Kyon
9: Matt
9: Gallax
13: Dfear
13: Solo
13: <3
13: Razek
17: Gdx
17: Virgman
17: 2dJeff
17: Fidel CashFlow
17: SolidNeku
17: sax
17: Lies
17: RadiX
25: kuro
25: Sensei

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
OR is bad, don't kid yourselves.

I should know, as I'm in that region. Viviff lost to Yoshi, and t0mmy, being our best, sandbags like there's no tom-

*shot*

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I guess you're right there, it's just that I see WA and OR together at enough tournaments to just view them as one region. OR is probably slightly better than us.

Brick gives me a much harder time in mm's and the like, and to be honest, L has more olimar experience since he plays with me a lot more than brick does, while Brick has no olimars in his region.
One of the Utah players who wasnt even top 5 moved to Washington, and in an OR/WA tournament, he took 5th (C!Z). And we arent even that good, we're decent though. We're also terribly small, we only have 20-25ish actives.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
@the whole Captain L vs. me thing.

We are basically at the same skill level. He agrees with that, I agree with that.

I should never lose to Jake (firefly) no offense to him. I just **** the bed consistently enough to lose full stock leads when hes on his last stock. In other words. I choke when I've never choked before.

As to viviff losing to firefly. He 2 stocked him the next tournament. When someone doesn't know the mu and the person on the other side is EXTREMELY good at the mk mu (firefly), then upsets can happen.

As to Captain L beating viviff, Viviff SDed and I was coaching L throughout the whole match because I wanted viviff to lose.

Captain L is a great player, and will probably be better then me eventually. But maybe he wont. As of now, we are basically even. I have a personal bias, so I think I'm better XD But hes a great player.

The Truth, you are REALLY looking at wifi when we play? Every time we've played in ladder I've beaten you. I hate wifi, and I don't give a **** about it. I.E. I don't try. When I do try, I get mad, because I play ****ty as hell, and bull**** happens. DO NOT USE WIFI AS EVIDENCE AGAINST MY SKILL.

Also, no offense to C!z, but hes a melee player. Hes OKAY at brawl. I 2 stocked him twice last time we had a mm iirc.

Also, not to be cocky (lol), but nobody but Z (hes better then L and I) and maybe Nordal (haven't seen many of his vids) are at L or I's level on the west coast.

Fact.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Uggh, this pika thing is dumb. I don't wanna be that guy, but I don't think there should be a top5 mains if some of them aren't even spectacular. Like brick and captain L are definitely talented players, but tbqh, I think frio could be as good as both of them :/, and he mains olimar now. Hell even my pikachu is better at certain match-ups than captainL (pika vs oli specifically). I mean no offense, but I don't think we HAVE to fill the top5. It should just be a list of players who are significantly better with said character than everyone else. If there aren't enough of those players, then screw it.

For pika, I see ESAM as an obvious one. Anther maybe still, and probably Z. Past that, I just don't see pika being repped well enough yet.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I should never lose to Jake (firefly) no offense to him. I just **** the bed consistently enough to lose full stock leads when hes on his last stock. In other words. I choke when I've never choked before.

As to viviff losing to firefly. He 2 stocked him the next tournament. When someone doesn't know the mu and the person on the other side is EXTREMELY good at the mk mu (firefly), then upsets can happen.
I lol'd. Your first point is just johning, and that two stock was neither a tournament match nor a money match.

Gashi, how long ago/what size tournament was it when C!Z placed 5th? I've seen him at a couple tournaments, but he hasn't placed very well recently from what I've seen. And you're acting as though Utah is smaller than OR, BC, or even WA/OR at the moment. =/

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
haha take my post with a grain of salt, it was half-joking. Yoshi can do hilarious stuff to people that don't know the MU (as does Sonic)

also, you got this, I think you have good claim for the spot.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Alphicans if we did that many characters wouldnt even have anyone on their list.

Brick, I think everyone agrees you, syko, and captain L are about equal skill, but I stand by what I said before. Excuses are fine but in the end we have to look at results. Also I wasnt using wifi alone to make judgements and said that specifically.

Also Im not sure why you brought my skill into this, but Im sure we're both aware of the fabrications you made and where I stand ;). However since I rarely make it to tournament events theres no point bringing it up.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
You have beaten me in wifi friendlies with your icers LOL. You think you are better then me, nobody else does.

Also, the top 4 pikas are Esam, Anther, Z, K Prime.

those are all 7.5/10 and above. Everyone else is much closer in skill.

IMO, from what I have seen, pikapika is overrated. Because there are no good pikas on the ec (besides him) so everyone is bad vs. him. So his results/wins are buffed. Not to say hes not better then me, but hes definitely not better then z/k prime.

thats also just my opinion, it could be COMPLETELY wrong.

Asa

Smash Hero
I lol'd. Your first point is just johning, and that two stock was neither a tournament match nor a money match.

Gashi, how long ago/what size tournament was it when C!Z placed 5th? I've seen him at a couple tournaments, but he hasn't placed very well recently from what I've seen. And you're acting as though Utah is smaller than OR, BC, or even WA/OR at the moment. =/

yeah that two stock was the crew battle that no one cared about lol

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Did ESAM suddenly leave FL? I remember him being on the EC and him coming to GA for college in about 3 months....time to pick up a secondary >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom