• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yeah, I agree on Vesperia having the most broken battle system of the bunch. It was still fun though. I just didn't like how abusable it was. The only small things I didn't like in ToS's battles was mainly the speed (it kinda felt clunky if I wasn't using Lloyd), how non user friendly the other characters were on manual, and the low amount of mystic artes. Besides that, I liked it a lot.
Everyone: Favourite characters from each of the games you've played? Go!
ToP-Arche
ToD-Leon
ToE-Reid
ToD2-Judas
ToS-Zelos
ToR-Veigue
TotA-Jade
ToI-Spada
ToV-Yuri
ToH-Kohak
ToG-Asbel

ryuu seika

Smash Master
ToP-Arche
ToD-Anyone but Leon
ToE-Meredy
ToS-Lloyd
TotA-Anise
ToL-Senel
KoR-Kratos

And to play as:

ToP-Cless
ToD-Not Sure
ToE-Reid
ToS-Lloyd
TotA-Guy
ToL-Chloe
KoR-Marta

If I've missed anything with an english release that isn't ToV, please let me know.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Vesperia has like...the most broken battle system lol. I thought Symphonia's was the best >.> the lack of broken Ad-Skill, the lack of Free Run, the lack of an overlimit bar made the game a little bit more challenging. S and T-Type added more depth, and Ex-Skills were cool but didn't make the game too easy...
Yuri was really the only true broken one, since he came with the most ridiculous combo artes/skills, AND he had his own personal OL that was ridiculously easy to get. Everyone else is... pretty well balanced, at least on Unknown. You still can't combo late bosses even on Hard because they just hit you out of the middle of an arte or get away somehow.

Symphonia's feels so meh to me. I don't really mind a challenging game, but the difficulty I felt stemmed from the wrong places. S and T-type didn't really feel like added depth to me. It made me feel like I was being cheated out of half the artes in the game. Ex-Skills were almost a complete waste without a guide, and the lack of Free Run felt like a million steps backwards after coming from Abyss. That, and Multibosses were absolute hell for me because I would frequently get trapped while my AI brigade sorta watched me die.

I do think that the battle systems are becoming more balanced with each game, however. Abyss was the first with its type of skill system (I think...) AND the first with Free Run, so naturally they were pretty broken. What I liked about Vesperia was that it was much more balanced. You had to pick and choose which skills to use, so without massive level grinding or the Grade shop item that has each skill cost 1 point to use, you couldn't activate the full brokenness of each character. Free Run was also fixed by giving most bosses giant AoE attacks or by making them all run faster than you (unless you're Repede, usually), so you still had options to get out of sticky situations but you couldn't just run.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm doubting I'll find it at a good price on ebay. You tend to find good prices locally or not at all, generally the latter :(. Just thought I'd ask while everyone was on the subject.

EDIT: Sure, I can get it cheap but if I do I can't understand it. Great!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
IMO the only reason to play as Tear is that it means you don't have to hear her sing.
Then again, the range on her basic attacks is pretty impressive...

I quite liked RM Tear for combat but I just can't stand her singing in TotA.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If my reaction to it is anything to go by, it was probably what most people would regard as good.
I suffer from a condition known as "hyperacusis", which basically means that I have a heightened sense of hearing and find certain sounds (primarily female singing) rather uncomfortable, even painful at times. The better the singing, the worse it is for me for whatever reason.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
^That must be terrible Ryuu, I have some weird problem with my eyes that makes them twitch whenever I play a game with too much motion/ bright colours (F-Zero would probably kill me). I really like the Grand Fonic Hymn though, it was really well-sung. The one Tales Of song I didn't like is Colette's Angel Song, from the OVA.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
OVA angel song is apparently known as "Fiat Lux" and I can't say I liked it but there are definitely worse.

I have no problems with my eyes but I do have 3d vision issues (only IRL though) because of how my brain processes things.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
No, I guess we can't.

I've been thinking, people who complain about ToS always complain about it being a mishmash of every JRPG cliche in the book. I'm wondering though, could this infact be part of the charm? In doing it all, does this make ToS not just a generic JRPG but the ultimate JRPG, an instant classic that sums up the entire genre?

It's solely mad theories and not based on actual evidence in the slightest but I can't help thinking I might be onto something here.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I've never really been into describing things as cliche because I'm not entirely confident in my judgement regarding that. I just found a lot of the characters in ToS pretty annoying in general, and that combined with the fact that I didn't really enjoy the battle system makes me unable to really enjoy the game.

That's a really interesting theory though. But it could also go both ways and technically make every generic JRPG an ultimate JRPG. @_@

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
No, I guess we can't.

I've been thinking, people who complain about ToS always complain about it being a mishmash of every JRPG cliche in the book. I'm wondering though, could this infact be part of the charm? In doing it all, does this make ToS not just a generic JRPG but the ultimate JRPG, an instant classic that sums up the entire genre?

It's solely mad theories and not based on actual evidence in the slightest but I can't help thinking I might be onto something here.
I don't know, I guess if they were to change some aspects it wouldn't be a JRPG. I mean, change, or new ideas/implementations are cool, but they're not always good or necessary. Like motion controls and realistic graphics. I play videos games to chill, not to get a ****ty workout, and less realistic graphics are better, they bring me into a different world. All these new ideas people are bringing into games are actually bringing the gaming experience down IMO.

I've strayed off topic, but basically if ToS wasn't a JRPG "cliché" so to say, then it wouldn't be what it is; which is epic.

I'm tired so if this post is all over the place then whatevz lol.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
No, I guess we can't.

I'd say it hurts it and helps it. A lot of stuff that's been in RPGs are usually fun, but that same stuff doesn't give it a lot of originality points. Especially when Tales games recycle some elements from other games in the Tales series.
This applies for every Tales game, imo, but it's also a reason why I like the series. It has that Tales style that I'm familiar with.

I don't find Symphonia the ultimate JRPG, but I enjoy it. Tales is one of my favorite RPG series, but I like it more for the battle system not the story.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Whereas I enjoy pretty much the entire experience. I have fun with the twists and turns of the story and become truly attached to many of the characters while getting to know their world but I could never do so without the battle system as it is. No matter how I've tried, I've never been able to get attached to a turn based game in the same way. I just don't feel like I have any real control over the characters so their story doesn't interest me in the slightest.

And on the subject of motion controls, there have been a few games that used the DS ones brilliantly but they were few and far between and I haven't really seen any that worked well for the Wii. I feel a rune drawing system would improve Tales spellcasting because as is it's kind of dull IMO.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Whereas I enjoy pretty much the entire experience. I have fun with the twists and turns of the story and become truly attached to many of the characters while getting to know their world but I could never do so without the battle system as it is. No matter how I've tried, I've never been able to get attached to a turn based game in the same way. I just don't feel like I have any real control over the characters so their story doesn't interest me in the slightest.

And on the subject of motion controls, there have been a few games that used the DS ones brilliantly but they were few and far between and I haven't really seen any that worked well for the Wii. I feel a rune drawing system would improve Tales spellcasting because as is it's kind of dull IMO.
Golden Sun 1 & 2 were great turn based games that I really got into.

Golden Sun DS doesn't count.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I was going to import it like I do for other games, but do to some circumstances, that's going to be put on hold. :ohwell:
I wanted the Stahn and Cless preorder costumes as well.
If I knew how to read Le Japanese I would have! And I would have gotten every pre-order costume/content available 'cause without them, I couldn't have a %100 completed game :(

I haven't really watched any Xillia videos yet, I'll probably do that on my post-drinking day on Sunday.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
If I knew how to read Le Japanese I would have! And I would have gotten every pre-order costume/content available 'cause without them, I couldn't have a %100 completed game :(

I haven't really watched any Xillia videos yet, I'll probably do that on my post-drinking day on Sunday.
Glad I'm not like that. Namco charges a ton for costumes.
Preorder codes will be on the net eventually...

And in similar but unrelated news, I found ToV for twenty quid. Now all I need is an Xbox. And twenty quid...
Yeah, but they'll probably charge 40 bucks or something just for them on ebay. Who knows though, maybe they'll be regular DLC in the future like they did for Vesperia.

And I guess you could always just buy Vesperia when you have enough, even if you don't have access to a 360.
Especially since Vesperia's getting hard to find for you.

Top Bottom