• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Since I've been away, I've been playing RM again. I decided to play as a fighter and discovered I could infinite combo certain monsters with my basic attack combo as their recoil pushes them into the (unintended) fourth hit. I can easily get 10+ grade and 1000 experience per battle this way but it gets a bit dull.

After a while I got bored so I took down the radiant grappler all four times and beat up Senel, getting me a Ninja invite and leveling me up to 30. Unfortunately, the radiant gear I got can't be used for another ten levels :(.

Oh and I'm now back but it might be a little while before my story updates.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Ok, I beat the arena with Chloe and Senel but can't do it with will so I've moved on to ToD PS1.
It's not the greatest of tales games but I feel I aught to beat the main story and atleast it isn't KoR.
With Will I just ran to the end of the screen and casted Thunderblade. Then let the enemy get close to me, dodged, ran to the other end and casted Thunderblade. Repeat. As for the Storm Dragon or whatever it's called make sure you have a full Climax Gauge, use it at the beginning while having the Extreme Symbol equipped and Warrior's Crest and just spam normal attacks.

After that I equipped a Holy Symbol (I think) and Persian Boots. Then I spammed Stone Blast...

I basically did the same thing for all the spellcasters.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Thunder Blade is pointless as I'm facing advanced (you needn't go lower after winning with one party member) where all but the first monster are lightning. Stealing the Persian boots off Senel might be a good idea though.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Thunder Blade is pointless as I'm facing advanced (you needn't go lower after winning with one party member) where all but the first monster are lightning. Stealing the Persian boots off Senel might be a good idea though.
Advanced is the one with the turtle, the angler and the dragon right? I swear I used thunderblade for the angler as well...or maybe it was stone blast lol.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Yeah, it's that one.
The angler is apparently lightning element but it's slow so Extension will take it down easily.

Interestingly, the arte is probably supposed to be "Extinction" but has almost always been named the same in english as it is in japanese and, due to them not having "i"s in the same way, the japanese name has always been "Ekusutenshion".

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Turns out I was making a really stupid mistake: I was trying to cast spells with my spellcasters.

I did have to with Grune in the end though, just so that my Holy Symbol would have time to heal her.
Oh and I've now beaten the arena entirely. Moses was impossible to lose as because the last 2 rounds only deal elemental damage and I had the "Emperor's New Clothes" equipped.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Turns out I was making a really stupid mistake: I was trying to cast spells with my spellcasters.

I did have to with Grune in the end though, just so that my Holy Symbol would have time to heal her.
Oh and I've now beaten the arena entirely. Moses was impossible to lose as because the last 2 rounds only deal elemental damage and I had the "Emperor's New Clothes" equipped.
Yeah Emperor's New Clothes are pretty OP even though they have like no defensive bonuses + has has that one move that attacks from below and pretty. much never misses

And yeah you can just totally use normal attacks with spellcasters :)

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Spell casters are too good for "Spell Casting" What were you thinking?
We were thinking you should give me your ToS disc 1 'cause mine keeps glitching making it impossible to continue past the Palmacosta Ranch :(

Oh yeah, I kinda fell off the Graces F hype train for a bit, but I started watching videos and I'm all excited again. Don't forget Xillia.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Oh yeah, I kinda fell off the Graces F hype train for a bit, but I started watching videos and I'm all excited again. Don't forget Xillia.
Yeah... Namco's fault for not giving us much info ever since the announcement. :(
Also hopefully Namco decides to release ToG F at a proper date this time. I'd hate for them to schedule it around FF XIII-2 or something dumb like that like with their past games.

I want Graces F to do well.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Yeah... Namco's fault for not giving us much info ever since the announcement. :(
Also hopefully Namco decides to release ToG F at a proper date this time. I'd hate for them to schedule it around FF XIII-2 or something dumb like that like with their past games.

I want Graces F to do well.
Yeah I'd love to see it do well! I'm sure it'll definetly build up the Tales fanbase seeing how it's a new Tales game being release outside of Japan AND for the PS3. That fact that's it's also a new 2012 RPG I'm sure a lot of RPG fans will be checking it out as least. I hope it's within the first 4 months of 2012- 'cause I'd hate waiting any longer lol.

Mine's cracking. I need it more!
Funny thing is mine doesn't have any scratches on it or anything! It could be the new Gamecube I just got...:( I'll just have to plug in my old one and see if it keeps glitching. But no! His copy is mines!

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I wish they'd stop porting them to consoles I don't own and only translating the ports.
I will not be getting ToG because £300~ is too much for one game.
Fine then miss out on ToG :(

ToS FINNALY didn't glitch and let me past the Palmacosta Ranch.

Just got to Tethe'alla and still no problems so life is good right now.

Started to practice drawing again after 3 months of not draiwngs 'cause class starts soon again :awesome:

EDIT: I was just thinking that if they redesigned Legendia's characters and made their sprites more proportionate, change the battle system to that of Symphonia's and changed the random battle encounters, as well as voicing the Character Quests and not recycle the dungeons it would be so epic.

Oh yeah, and remove Shirley.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I like Legendia as it is, Pinkdignation and all.

And I don't want to miss out on ToG but if they insist on not bringing the Wii version over I'll have to wait until the PS3 is dirt cheap.
Totally forgot you don't have a PS3 :(

*Waits for users seperate from you and I to post here*

darkspartan117

Smash Rookie
I love the Tales of Games I hope Xillia get released in the US since Graces will eventually be released for the PS3 in English

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
/endlurking

I've only played three tales games, but the only two I really enjoyed were Abyss and Vesperia. Like most people, I'd say I liked the more popular songs from the two. Meaning of Birth, Karma, Fury Sparks, etc. But my real favorites are some of the lesser known ones. I absolutely LOVE Finish the Promise (Abyss's final boss theme), Mirrors (Abyss), Estelle's theme (Vesperia), and the music for Caer Bocram (Vesperia).

In general, I just really love Tales music. So much of it is just so amazing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Most of my favorites are battles themes throughout the series since those are usually the more unique ones.

ToD PS2 Rebel Against Destiny (Favorite last boss theme)
ToD2 Break into Fragments
ToD PS2 Lion Irony of Fate

ToS Last Battle Decision (final dungeon)
ToS Starry Heavens Heroic
ToS Fighting of the Spirit
ToS Like of Glint of Light

Most of favorites come from the two ToD games and ToS. Stuff like Eternia, Abyss, and Vesperia were okay. The big reason I didn't add any of those since I didn't feel attached to the game compared to the others.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
The only problem with Tales music is that after listening to so many (especially later games), a lot of them don't have enough variety between the composer's games (Golden Sun and Tales of Destiny 2 especially). Sakuraba seems to try harder on his other games like Star Ocean compared to Tales, but he sure knows when to make them count. Regardless, I love it.

I heard Legendia's was great, but I still haven't started it yet. :ohwell:

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Tales of Symphonia- Beat the Angel

Tales of Legendia- Ancient Ship

Tales of the Abyss- The Edge of Decision

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World- The Wilderness of Sadness

/drunken post.

Listen to them all, I have the soundtracks on my iTunes. EPIC!

Ancient Ship is the best, followed by Beat the Angel, The Wilderness of Sadness, then The Edge of Decision

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Personally, I'm not a big fan of the ToD and ToL stuff. "Hurry" is pretty good but the rest of ToL's music doesn't appeal to me. ToD, on the other hand, just feels too generic and none of it really stands out for me.

@Delta-cod: as you say, "Karma" and "Meaning of Birth" are pretty obvious, though "Between 1 and 0" is a nice rendition of the same theme that is far less known. I listened to Abyss' OST in one evening so I don't actually remember most of it and I don't know Vesperia's at all.

@Minato: I find that there are a fair few non-battle themes that also deserve attention but they're always overshadowed by the battle themes. I don't really know "Starry Heavens" and it doesn't appeal to me that greatly (in any of its forms) but the other ToS stuff you've linked is some of my favourite tales music aswell. "Like a Glint of Light" is probably my favourite random encounter theme and I often find myself humming "Fighting of the Spirit" (though IMO the ToP GBA version is the best). I actually have "Last Battle" (~Desicion I think) set as a theme on Final Destination, along with "Beat the Angel" and ToS's "Final Destination" of course. I don't like the piano version as much though and frankly, I really don't like the battle arange CD.

@BladeOfHavoc: Fatalise is a great boss theme no doubt but I'm not sure it's worth overlooking the others for.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Agreed, ToS and ToP are by far the best IMO but not just the battle themes.
ToS's "Lloyd's Theme", "Untold Despair" and unnamed opening were excellent aswell, just to name a few.
I didn't like ToP's main battle theme, but that's just me. It might be because of the high encounter rate and the slow battles that contribute to it. :ohwell:
But yeah, ToP (and ToS) and a lot of good songs outside of battles too.

Anyways, replaying Symphonia right now since why not.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I liked "Take up the Cross" but "Decisive/Time Battle" was better IMO.

Why not indeed. I should get back to writing my tech guide at some point. I guess I could post it up with the about 47% it has at the minute but I aught to atleast get the player artes in there before I do.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I could never really get into Symphonia. I beat it once, but I dunno, every time I see it on my shelf of games, I just get this "ehhh" feeling when I think of replaying it. It just never really clicked with me.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I could never really get into Symphonia. I beat it once, but I dunno, every time I see it on my shelf of games, I just get this "ehhh" feeling when I think of replaying it. It just never really clicked with me.

You're a disgrace! :awesome:

Everyone: Favourite characters from each of the games you've played? Go!

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Symphonia: Presea

Abyss: Jade

Vesperia: Repede

As for Symphonia, I think the battle system is what turned me off. Iunno, having come from Abyss (my first Tales game), the lack of Free Run, visible and actually usable Overlimit, the whole Arte thing (Technical vs Strike), and the Ex Skill system (which I found stupidly complicated after coming from Abyss where getting skills was simple) seemed like several steps backwards, and I just couldn't really enjoy it as much.

Naturally, I'm aware now at how BROKEN Abyss could be, especially Free Run in it. Vesperia is now my favorite because everything seems pretty refined and balanced (except maybe for Yuri, but hell, all the bosses start Combo breaking at a certain point anyways).

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Symphonia: Presea

Vesperia: Repede

As for Symphonia, I think the battle system is what turned me off. Iunno, having come from Abyss (my first Tales game), the lack of Free Run, visible and actually usable Overlimit, the whole Arte thing (Technical vs Strike), and the Ex Skill system (which I found stupidly complicated after coming from Abyss where getting skills was simple) seemed like several steps backwards, and I just couldn't really enjoy it as much.

Naturally, I'm aware now at how BROKEN Abyss could be, especially Free Run in it. Vesperia is now my favorite because everything seems pretty refined and balanced (except maybe for Yuri, but hell, all the bosses start Combo breaking at a certain point anyways).
Vesperia has like...the most broken battle system lol. I thought Symphonia's was the best >.> the lack of broken Ad-Skill, the lack of Free Run, the lack of an overlimit bar made the game a little bit more challenging. S and T-Type added more depth, and Ex-Skills were cool but didn't make the game too easy...

Symphonia: Zelos

Legendia: Chloe

And that wannabe Symphonia sequel: ...who cares lol

Top Bottom