• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
How could you not like Legendia's music? It was amazing, and a bit weird at times...
Also, how could you stand to play as Chester? He was painfully slow
Tales of Vesperia looks fun, but a bit too easy/spammy.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Gels are for sissies.

Signed, proud owner of "I Hate Gels!" title on first playthrough on Genis.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Gels are for sissies.

Signed, proud owner of "I Hate Gels!" title on first playthrough on Genis.
Had to get that one on my second :( But in all honesty, I never use gels unless I'm soloing a boss on like the hardest difficulty and run out of TP 'cause I'm a noob...I dislike using items 'cause it lowers my precious, precious Grade.

Oh yeah, and I think my favourite title to get in Symphonia was the one where you had to use Wooden Blades until after you beat Pronyma. My most hated title to get would have to be Item Collector for Jade in Abyss.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Had to get that one on my second :( But in all honesty, I never use gels unless I'm soloing a boss on like the hardest difficulty and run out of TP 'cause I'm a noob...I dislike using items 'cause it lowers my precious, precious Grade.

Oh yeah, and I think my favourite title to get in Symphonia was the one where you had to use Wooden Blades until after you beat Pronyma. My most hated title to get would have to be Item Collector for Jade in Abyss.
The thing is, using gels outside of battle also lost you the title iirc.

Man, I used so many Life Bottles.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
How could you not like Legendia's music? It was amazing, and a bit weird at times...
From what I hear, that's mostly a problem with me, not it. I suffer from a heightened sense of hearing and pitch sensitivity known as hyperacusis.

Also, how could you stand to play as Chester? He was painfully slow
He was a little slow but atleast he wasn't a spellcaster :p

proud owner of "I Hate Gels!" title on first playthrough on Genis.
Wow, I've still not got that after all of my 9+ playthroughs (lost count).

fkacyan

Smash Hero
From what I hear, that's mostly a problem with me, not it. I suffer from a heightened sense of hearing and pitch sensitivity known as hyperacusis.

He was a little slow but atleast he wasn't a spellcaster :p

Wow, I've still not got that after all of my 9+ playthroughs (lost count).
You grind a lot and stay at inns a lot. You also keep a lot of Life Bottles on hand.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
So like, I was playing Abyss on Unknown and made it to the end of The Replica Facility, I was fighting Replicantis and my game froze...that's like an hour, gone! Of course I'll redo it tomorrow, but man.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
8 levels? :surprised: That sounds like overkill...can't you also carry like 99 of each item? If so, that's even more broken, 99 of each gel/life bottles=never die.
Well, you won't get access to 8 levels until you clear one of the battles in the colosseum which is near the very end, iirc.
I haven't played ToV with a friend, but I imagine it makes sharing the overlimit bar much easier and more fun.

But yeah, it's easy to break the battle system in Vesperia but it's fun at the same time.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
So like, I was playing Abyss on Unknown and made it to the end of The Replica Facility, I was fighting Replicantis and my game froze...that's like an hour, gone! Of course I'll redo it tomorrow, but man.
Would that be when loading? If so, I had that aswell when running from the palace in Baticul.
Apparently it's a rare random occurrence and there's nothing you can do about it.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Would that be when loading? If so, I had that aswell when running from the palace in Baticul.
Apparently it's a rare random occurrence and there's nothing you can do about it.
It was during the actual battle with Replicantis, during Mystic Cage lol.

I decided to playthrough and complete Legendia today, I got about 1 minute into the game and turned it off...I just can't lol.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I decided to playthrough and complete Legendia today, I got about 1 minute into the game and turned it off...I just can't lol.
That's just what I did today! I can't bare the pain of 2-D fighting and Senel at this moment

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Not enough mana from Derris Kharlan was leaking out and making it to the tree, that's why the mana links were necessary.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm talking ToP here. In ToS, Derris Kharlan isn't actually physically linked to a world tree. In the backstory to ToP, however, magitech has used up too much mana so Derris Kharlan can't support its own tree anymore, leading the inhabitants to sacrifice themselves in some crazed houjutsu ritual that gives the sole survivor (Dhaos) time travel powers. This only makes sense if you forget about the fact that all those people and the tree that gives them life are standing on what is literally solid mana. If that were to run out, they'd likely lose their atmosphere so a tree dying would be the least of their worries.

I'm just trying to sort this out in an attempt to make ToP actually work.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
It's like Smallville, Clark searches for somebody in a building when he could just use his x-ray vision...or when he just walks around wasting time when he could be running...it just doesn't work lol. I haven't really played ToP, but from what I've gathered it doesn't make sense.

In other news, I've decided to continue Legendia. It's not that bad!

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Me and my friend who previously played through ToS and ToS2: DotNW are now going through Vesperia this week in a similar way. Talk about a large step up in difficulty; not having a human healer really hurts, and we don't have nearly enough macro spaces to have people cast the right stuff all the time.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Next question then:

When KoR was announced to be almost entirely free from wiimote controls, I leapt to the conclusion that even I could make a better tales game for the Wii. There were obvious limitations, especially as I didn't have access to disk based media (for the Wii, anyway). Infact, I was limited to a one button flash game. I got the concept down and while I will admit that my story and characters weren't exactly great, I soon found out I didn't have a lot to top anyway. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to do 3D.

Flash forward a few years and it's obviously going nowhere, mostly due to my inability to sprite an entire character, but I'd like to know what your opinions are on the current concept.

The first thing is that it revolves around this input grid:

Holding the cursor in the central zone will keep your character idle while holding forwards or backwards (relative to your character) will cause a walk or backstep, respectively. Far forward would cause a run and far backward would cause the character to turn, at which point what was far backward would become far forward, causing the character to run. Up and Down do nothing special but far down causes a crouch and far up causes a jump.
In the original concept, an auto block would occur when backstepping and pressing A at that instant wold cause guardian but that was simply due to button limitations.
Note: "A" can be read as its other console equivalent or as the DS/3DS Dpad if desired.

Combining this with the A button leads to attacks. Up, down, forward, backward and center are all part of the basic 3 hit combo, with up taking things into the air. Once in the air, all segments have the same downward combo ending hit (so up, up is only a two hit combo). Far down A and far forward A are single hit attacks, far backward and far up have none.
From here, all of these moves but far down A can be chained into any non-magic base arte which is performed by going through the central segment and one of the directional ones while holding the A button (up to four can be assigned). Those can then be chained into either fusion artes or base arte extensions, though not all characters will have access to both.
Fusion artes are performed by going through two adjacent directional segments and are determined by the base artes in those slots.
Extensions are performed by going through a directional segment and the far segment that shares that direction. Again, they are defined by the base arte.
From here you can only chain into your hi-ougi, the activation of which will be for each character.

Now onto magic. First tier spells are performed by holding the A button and dragging through the center, into a directional segment and into the far segment. After this, there is a pause of 2.5 seconds for the next input before the spell is cast in which the user cannot move.
By dragging from top to bottom/bottom to top or leftmost to rightmost/rightmost to leftmost during this period, the spell can be extended into two different second tier spells assigned to that base spell via the arte menu. Once this is done, there will be a wait of 1.5 for the next input before the spell is cast (original pause is canceled).
To extend to level 3 (also menu assigned), you must perform the input you didn't use for level two. There will then be a pause of only 0.75 seconds before the spell is cast.
Finally, level four can be reached via a full circle input in the far directional zone. These spells will insta-cast once the input is complete.
As you can see, level four spells can take almost no time to cast if you're fast with the input or they can take up to 4.75 seconds (or even fail mid way) if you aren't. Level four is practically a hi-ougi for mages so no real hi-ougi would be learnt.

Overlimits are activated via a full circle input in the directional area.

All zones can be passed through in any order during input but no other zones may be if the move is to work.

Extensions and fusions cannot be used until learnt, as is normally the case.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
I read through that a couple times, and it just sounds confusing to me. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, it seems complicated- but perhaps I'm just making it seem more complicated than it is.

To be honest I hate anything to do with using Wii remotes like that (except for Skyward Sword of course).

I'd like to hear the story/plot as well if you have one? As well as characters/anything else.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The story/plot and have been revised multiple times and eventually given up on. I have nothing worth showing in those regards.

Many wiimote based games have issues with sensing motion properly. This bypasses that problem by simply avoiding motion sensing of any kind. It uses pseudo motion sensing that is done via location sensing and nothing else. It could be done with the wiimote, the DS touchscreen, your computer's mouse, whatever.
This should hopefully, therefore, not be quite the mess that motion sensing can be.

Another implication of this system is that spellcasting should be far more about the "rune drawing" and far less about the usual waiting, making it a lot more enjoyable.

The explanation is complex but I believe the system itself to be rather simple.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Sealed copy of Vesperia just came in the mail. Yessssssss.

Also, does anyone know how to grade farm with Rita and the items/weapons you need?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I don't know the exact setup, but it involves Tidal Wave, minimum damage, and everyone else on the team spamming Taunt.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I did at one point.

i used it to grade farm after i finished the game.

I suppose I'll look up my info tomorrow when I wake and let you know what my set up was.

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
I did at one point.

i used it to grade farm after i finished the game.

I suppose I'll look up my info tomorrow when I wake and let you know what my set up was.
Sounds good. I remember needing a specific weapon that I believe I sold or something like that...can't really remember. I hope I can get everything I need without starting a new game, at least.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Grade farming is for sissies.

I got a metric asston of grade by having by practicing combos with Judith. I too want to be swillo

EDIT:

Sounds good. I remember needing a specific weapon that I believe I sold or something like that...can't really remember. I hope I can get everything I need without starting a new game, at least.
you need a synthesized version of her first weapon, which I believe you can buy in aspio
before it blows up

I'm pretty sure ever character has one, the point of the weapons is literally combo practice, which is pretty sick.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Anyone know if you can complete the collector's book in ToL in one playthrough?
You can but you'll have almost no chance without a guide. I've already mucked it up for this playthrough because I missed the start of the couple sidequest.

I'm still on target for getting everything but the Judas mask though. Just spent 3 hours completely clearing mirage palace of goodies in Jay's CQ.

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
You can but you'll have almost no chance without a guide. I've already mucked it up for this playthrough because I missed the start of the couple sidequest.

I'm still on target for getting everything but the Judas mask though. Just spent 3 hours completely clearing mirage palace of goodies in Jay's CQ.
Yeah I'll just use a guide online I guess, don't feel like looking for an official guide on ebay or whatever. Thanks a lot though! I honestly don't feel like doing multiple playthroughs of this game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Heh, nobody uses official guides these days.

I find ToL's lack of multiplayer limits its replay value somewhat and I just simply can't start a new playthrough right after the last one but it's most certainly not a bad game.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I would love to know why ToL wasn't two player. If it was then maybe, just maybe I could beat a certain obnoxious boss...

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The game was supposed to be a throwback to the old days, maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm now in the final dungeon before the end of game boss fest and I've found every rare monster. I'm not going to finish the dungeon tonight though as it goes on for hours (that "for" probably needs a "u" in it...)!

SSBMLahti

Smash Lord
Heh, nobody uses official guides these days.

I find ToL's lack of multiplayer limits its replay value somewhat and I just simply can't start a new playthrough right after the last one but it's most certainly not a bad game.
It's not a bad game at all! I got it when it first came out and I was MUCH younger, so the random encounters kind-of pushed me away, and I found the dialogue went on forever. But I honestly enjoy the game now, and the small amount of sidequests actually made me happy 'cause I don't feel like doing a whole bunch of things after just completing Abyss and DotNW 100%.

I never really used multiplayer in the other games, so it's not really an issue for me.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
My un-nameable friend and I play ToS all the time, he plays as Sheena and I play as Zelos. We decided to do a mania run, and managed to get under-leveled and lose to sword dancer 1... We forgot to save.
BUT it was fun since it was two people!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
completing DotNW 100%.
Now that's series dedication!

We decided to do a mania run, and managed to get under-leveled and lose to sword dancer 1... We forgot to save.
BUT it was fun since it was two people!
Heh, I had to redo 4 boss battles once due to similar circumstances. When you're with friends you can laugh about that kind of thing though.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
The only game where I die, or lose a lot of health, in is Pikmin2. I usually am pretty good at Tales of Games. I've also been playing the hell out of ToP

fkacyan

Smash Hero
For those who have not played ToS2: DotNW, a quick summary:

Amnesia!
Marta has joined the party.
Marta has left the party.
Plot twist!
Plot twist!