• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Tales of" Series

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Some of the titles in this game are ridiculous! Gigolo, talk to every girl in the game as Zelos with his personal. This sucks because
some girls die when Ozette burns down and a couple other events happen

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Colette's dog lover title... I really hated that one! Name every dog in the game!? But
it only works when she has her voice.

TuxingtonIII

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad my perfectionism doesn't apply to things I deem truly unfair, like limited time opportunities. But even if it does, then it makes the game so~ unfun and lame to play since you have to be careful and distract yourself from actually enjoying the game. Golden Sun is still sitting in my DS quite unplayed since some of the Djinni are permanently missable :(

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I'm not into dogs so I never bothered with that title. TotA's Catalyst Weapons quest was annoying as hell though.

You go all the way back through the abandoned factory to get weapon 3, only to find that you can't get it due to lacking Mieu Wings. So you go back and get Mieu Wings, go all the way back to that ladder in the factory and climb it only to be told that you can't proceed without some Mieu Fire upgrade you never knew existed. So you spend half an hour flying all round the map only to discover that you can't land by the place that has it. Then you spend the second half of that hour trying to get there by land before you find out that it's impossible and you need an albiore upgrade you never knew existed. So you go to the place that has that and find out you can't land there or get to it by foot either. So you spend some time trying to find out why and it turns out that there's a second albiore upgrade that you need to get first. So you fly all the way there only to discover that the people you need to help you get it aren't there because you didn't save them forty hours ago when you didn't know they existed.

And then you go "Screw this!" and look up Nebilim on youtube.

zeno101200

Smash Rookie
NNID
zeno101200
I picked this up this game and I just got to the point where
Sheena
joins your party. The game is amazing, it's fighting system is definately my favorite for any game I've ever played. The only problem I have with it being the spellcaster's on the team can make really bad decisions on where they cast their magic. It's like they feel that it is necessary to cast a healing move while right next to an enemy. I love this game, and it is undoubtabely my new favorite gamecube game! My only complaint was the
Pinwheel puzzle
in the
Wind Dungeon
, because I didn't know about the torches. Hopefully, once I beat the game I will have a lot more to say about my full opinions.

P.S.Also I haven't played any other Tales games, so does anyone have any suggestions for any I should pick up? As long as it's not on the PS3 or 30 I probably can play it.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Tales of the Abyss or Tales of Legendia for the PS2 are good choices. Legendia has a linear fighting system and ALOT of fights that just randomly happen. Abyss has a free running system and you can avoid the enemy sprites to stay out of unwannted battles.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
i'm new to this thread... anyone seen the ToS OVA's?

sooooooooooooo good! jus sayin..

hello everyone!

also... this game is amazing too n_n;

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
oo I love this game.
I was just playing through it again kinda. First time years ago I really loved it and got super far... but then I got baten kaitos and obsessed over that instead lol. Now I'm gonna actually finish it though, such a boss game.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
@Zeno: I'd say anything but Abyss or the Symphonia sequel, just because going straight from the latter 3D free running games to the older 2D stuff seems like too much of a step back to a lot of people and stops them from enjoying what are otherwise great games.
Oh and lol at the casting problem. We all get that though.

@T.J.: I never really got that into Baten Kaitos. I enjoyed the card game aspect but the combo damage system and unwanted card evolutions (I wanted to keep that green banana) confused me and it was still too turn based for my likings. Have you ever played Lost Kingdoms?

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I used to own Lost Kingdoms! I loved that game. I would try to capture enemies and end up using my whole deck on a jellyfish... I also love the ToS OVA's more than cheesecake, CHEESECAKE!!!!

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
@T.J.: I never really got that into Baten Kaitos. I enjoyed the card game aspect but the combo damage system and unwanted card evolutions (I wanted to keep that green banana) confused me and it was still too turn based for my likings. Have you ever played Lost Kingdoms?
Dude the card evolutions were the best part... I remember feeling so lucky when some useless item later turned into some awesome thing like chump change turning into something that has a 80% chance for death... I used to get every card to see the evolution X_X.

I never noticed how bad the writing on this tales game was lol...

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
This was the only tales game I could ever get into. I beat it 5 times when it first came out. I'm actually going to start another playthrough this week to try and get all the costumes because I was too lazy to get them before. Gonna play as Sheena this time.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I could never play as Sheena, her combos were WAY too difficult for me to care to figure out. I've played as Lloyd, Regal, Presea, Zelos, and Genis, but I've never actually won a battle as Sheena. I have a friend who used to play as Sheena (now... Regal!?) and this weekend we're beating the whole game on mania.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Regal was hard for me. The gravity is too high for me to have time to pull off all those air combos.
As for Sheena, she and Zelos were the only too I really couldn't play as. Their hits just felt empty for some reason so I couldn't get the feel fr their combat.

Pyre Seal rocks though.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
Demon seal all the way man! I understand what you mean about Zelos feeling empty, he really only can combo with aerial spell. I love playing as Lloyd on occasion because of his AMAZING combo abilities.

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
I'm still playing through this. I'm sooooo slow >_<

Damn though, I never actually throught about trying other chars out lol, I know you could I just thought Lloyd was way too good to pass up. I'ma fool around with this ;)

Also, RAGE AT LIGHTNING SEAL THING!!! Those pitch black rooms were hell cause my TV is set on a lower light level >_>. And yet I still got every chest. ragerage

editagain...

Also I was stupid and was useing lightning weapons vs the boss >_> Lol that didnt work out too swell "WHY WONT YOU DIE"

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Demon seal all the way man!
The small upgrades for Demon Seal are vastly outweighed by the added cost.

I love playing as Lloyd on occasion because of his AMAZING combo abilities.
I quite like comboing as him but it's not that much greater than the main characters in the other games. I do, however, really enjoy the ability to accidentally hit behind yourself with him. Few other characters work like that, though Rising Phoenix does it no matter who uses it.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I love his aerial attack compound ex skill, I can do about 12 combos with my current move set thanks to it.

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
Yo is that Evil eye weapon for colette worth keeping or what? It has horrid stats but it seems like it might be special or something.

edit =/ derp looks like I cant even sell it if I wanted anyway. mahbad. But what do?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The Evil Eye is part of a set of weapons known as the "Devil's Arms" that form a sidequest. To start the sidequest, go back to Flanoir and you will automatically receive the second, as well as the key for all those dark treasure chests you find.
Once you ave them all, you can go to the temple of darkness for a boss battle (one of the toughest in the game), after which the weapons are activated and will do extra damage based on the user's kill count (separate for each character), racking up massive amounts if you carry over battle data between playthroughs.

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
Oh hmm... I think I'll do the entire thing next playthrough >_< along with all the sidequests lol

Which will probably be soon, I'm falling in love with this game xD

Also just wondering... I was looking up tales forums out of boredom and I see someone with your avatar. Is that guy you?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Also just wondering... I was looking up tales forums out of boredom and I see someone with your avatar. Is that guy you?
Yeah. If it helps, the username "HolyMeteor" was based of the fact that "ryuusei" means "falling star" and "seika" means "sacred fire". I had had people jokingly suggest that I should be a Hi-Ougi before so I thought I'd come up with a viable translation for it.
Which reminds me, I'd better go change my signature.

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
Yeah very, but I had to answer the door right when the last scene hapend >_>

Lol some Christians inviting me to there church =(.

I just you tubed the ending anyway though. very touching for a game =). I think I'm gonna replay this again soon. Isnt there another TOS for the wii? that any good too?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Most people who played the first don't really like the second (me included) but it's generally agreed to be a decent game. It's certainly not anything special like the original though.

I would suggest going for the less directly related rest of the tales series instead if I were you.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I'd say Legendia, although it is hard to get through it because of the "random" encounters... Does the game hate me!?

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Lol, you have so much spare cash in ToL though, spend it only Holy, Dark and Rune bottles (using the rune bottles to transform the dark if you ever run out of holy) and it makes the end of the game far less annoying like that.

BladeOfHavoc

Smash Apprentice
I don't really understand why you would be able to buy rune bottles! They're supposed to be RARE.

Top Bottom