• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sword of Seals - Roy Moveset + Frame Data (incomplete)

micahclay

Smash Rookie
What DI? Single hit N-Air has no knockback. Single hit N-Air to anything is a combo, it depends on the %, the higher the % the slower the follow up can be (and be a true combo). U-Tilt and F-Tilt can both true combo at kill %s from Single Hit N-Air.
Fair enough, didn't realize it had fixed knockback. Thanks.

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a huge fan of how he's still a clone. I mean seriously. Sure he has a few unique animations, but I'm still disappointed with the way he turned out. Let's look at his move set for a second...

-His only unique smash is his side smash. The rest are just variation on Marth's.
-His up special is just a multiple hitting variation of the dolphin slash.
-His neutral special is basically just Ike's neutral special.
-He still has the dancing blade and counter.
-All of his aerials are all basically Marth's. His D-air? That's just the same as Ike's!

So basically Roy went from being a Marth clone to being a Marth and Ike clone. Seriously?

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
I'm not a huge fan of how he's still a clone. I mean seriously. Sure he has a few unique animations, but I'm still disappointed with the way he turned out. Let's look at his move set for a second...

-His only unique smash is his side smash. The rest are just variation on Marth's.
-All of his aerials are all basically Marth's. His D-air? That's just the same as Ike's!

So basically Roy went from being a Marth clone to being a Marth and Ike clone. Seriously?
I'm just going to say this: He's WAYY less of a clone than we expected

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice

If you're gonna compare movesets at least dive deeper and look at the properties of Roy vs Marths moves. Roy is decloned for the most part and fits a completely different niche in comparison to Marth. Of course if you look at soley their moveset animations, of course Roy's gonna seem like a complete clone. Same thing could be applied to Fox vs Falco, Mario vs Luigi vs Doc, etc. Plus T3H PH1R3!

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071

Nintendo could've put in more effort, sure, but I think there were a slew of reasons why they didn't 100% differentiate him from the Marth. They wanted him to stay faithful to a degree toward his Melee design, probably, and they also wanted him pumped out quickly to rake in the revenue. Starting with Marth as a base and editing from there was obviously the easiest option. I'm very much satisfied, however. I didn't want him to change so much that he felt like a different character, so this much of a decloning process to the state of semi-clone was enough for my tastes.

Blazer looks beautiful and not like a recolored Dolphin Slash w/ fire poofs, the usmash actually has special fire effects on the blade this time, and his aerials have a completely unique flair and utility from Marth. As far as dair goes, that was bound to be identical to another swordfighter's regardless. Can't exactly be too diverse in that move. Making Roy the fastest FE character was a really nice touch, highlighting his combo power, and his fast fall property gives his aerials entirely new uses (nair is actually worth using, and is really damn good)!

I have two gripes though: DED and Flare Blade. DED should have gotten unique animations to some degree, and Flare Blade should NEVER have turned into orange Eruption. The simple, charged overhead was perfect (a small explosion when it touched ground would've been cool, but not necessary).

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Seems like Jab > Jump-Canceled Upsmash works pretty well, since it catches air dodges and jumps too. Just be careful about their height... (Got kneed going for this :()

Jab > RAR Bair seems to work pretty well too.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
At 100%, if you Dthrow and quickly use Blazer, it will kill on the top platforms of BF and Dreamland 64.

Last edited:

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
Sometimes I can bait people to air dodge after I down throw, which lets me charge up a forward smash. So if I'm near the ledge, it can lead to a kill occasionally.

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
Up-B is great. I love it. It has pretty good kill power, and I love using it out of shield. I use it pretty often. Plus, super armor is pretty rad.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I tried doing that but it never comboed. weird because jab fair combos (and it's pretty good)
It isn't a true combo, but they'd need to mash air dodge for it not to work. It's only off by 1-2 frames from true comboing, hence why even when jab > fair doesn't true combo, it usually works.

If they show a habit of buffering air dodge after a jab, you can do upsmash or even kara fsmash.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
xD That's hilarious. I need to find out how to do it consistently lol xD
Just have at least 100 rage, the opponent must be charging a Smash (or be around full jump height) and make sure not to hit with the last hit of Up-B. Can be done in the air or in the ground, just make sure you don't hit with the last hit (reverse it).

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
It isn't a true combo, but they'd need to mash air dodge for it not to work. It's only off by 1-2 frames from true comboing, hence why even when jab > fair doesn't true combo, it usually works.

If they show a habit of buffering air dodge after a jab, you can do upsmash or even kara fsmash.
Jab fair actually true combos at higher percents

edit: actually also got jab to rar bair to work at higher percents in training against Roy, so this is interesting.

Last edited:

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Sourspot uair is also a good setup, it combos into utilt and ftilt somewhere after 100%. If you sourspot uair when the opponent is above you in the air, it also leaves them in an awkward position where they can jump out, airdodge and attack. Read this, and get that fsmash :). Fast falled sweetspot uair against a grounded opponent combos into uair/fair/bair till over 100%, so that can also be used.

Heropon_Riki

Smash Cadet
NNID
yojo98
Hey guys, I've been labbing this out, and it seems like approaching with Roy's up air can yield into some great combos. They use the weak hit of up air, which does little aerial knock back. This means you can combo this hit into a grab, uptilt, or up smash. This is particularly useful as it opens up opportunities purposefully using one of Roy's weak hits to open up more combos, as opposed to strong ones.

smesty

Smash Cadet
Find me a scenario in which if they shield this, I don't get grabbed.

That's the issue with all short hop aerial approaches, if it's shielded by the enemy, you will get grabbed.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
What @ smesty smesty said. Roy's approaches are very limited, you either try and bait something stupid and punish them for it, or you wait for them to approach which is unlikely cuz they're probably waiting for us to approach. So the first option is better.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Mix it up and try and land behind them?
They still have enough time to turnaround grab or at least shield drop and punish with a tilt or something. Uair doesn't autocancel.

edit: also some characters can do something oos (up b or any aerial) and punish.

Last edited:

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I believe it's the centre of Roy's body, probably the hilt.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
This, hit anywhere but the hilt and he knocks them horizontally away from him.
It can send them upwards too, actually got killed from high up because of that. Not sure when it does that though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've found that most of my kills come from me down throwing, the opponent air dodging, and then me forward smashing them.
Blazer is also a very reliable KO option.
DED can KO if you do forward > forward > up > forward because you'll always hilt it.
If you can read the opponents get-up option, down air is probably going to KO them at high percents.
Other than that, Roy doesn't have many kill setups, and many of his KOs come from brute strength alone.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Daddy or sheik
In no specific order:

Sheik, Rosalina, Luigi, Sonic, Mario, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, Ness and Diddy (yes even after the nerfs) are all very strong. Roy is definitely behind all those chars. There are some other chars which are good, but IDK how they compare to Roy, they are basically in the same "level", Roy could be higher or lower than any of these: Falcon, ZSS, Wario, MK, Olimar. And then there are the chars that people think will eventually be strong and climb the tier list like Peach and Shulk and who knows about buffed chard like Falco.

Top Bottom