• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Suburbs of Onett - Ness Social Thread

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OK, so...I've got Ness at level 71, Paula at 62, Jeff at 60, and Poo at 59. And I'm about to go into the cave where the lasts Sanctuary Guardian is. Should I beat up some dinos in the Lost Underworld first?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
OK, so...I've got Ness at level 71, Paula at 62, Jeff at 60, and Poo at 59. And I'm about to go into the cave where the lasts Sanctuary Guardian is. Should I beat up some dinos in the Lost Underworld first?
No, get the last melody at the lowest level you possibly can.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
You can get to 99 whenever, just make sure you beat the dungeon that takes place IMMEDIATELY after the last melody first.
That one that I passed in The Lost Underworld? Or is there one I need to beat in Magicant right after I get the last melody?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It'll be pretty obvious once you get there, so don't let us spoil it for you! :D
OK then...

I'm probably going to be totally unprepared for this. :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Don't worry, that section right after the last sanctuary is one of my favourite parts of the game, you'll really love it, I promise. :D
Ya...

Now watch me enter it and die immediately. Lol. Alright, lemme beat this dog and see what you guys are talking about...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Shoot. All my party members died except Paula (I got a charm for her that DRASTICALLY reduces the effects of PSI attacks). Does her Pray ability have a chance of reviving party members? Cause I don't have anything to revive people with and if it doesn't I may as well kill myself...

Magicant = weirdest place in the game. I love it.

Still having trouble finding the dungeon though...I haven't seen it yet in Magicant...

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Shoot. All my party members died except Paula (I got a charm for her that DRASTICALLY reduces the effects of PSI attacks). Does her Pray ability have a chance of reviving party members? Cause I don't have anything to revive people with and if it doesn't I may as well kill myself...

Still having trouble finding the dungeon though...I haven't seen it yet in Magicant...
I knew you would!

Talking to the people there, you've probably heard about the 'sea of eden' by now. It's not so much a dungeon as an area you can fight guys.

Also, FLYING MEN WOOP WOOP!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I knew you would!

Talking to the people there, you've probably heard about the 'sea of eden' by now. It's not so much a dungeon as an area you can fight guys.

Also, FLYING MEN WOOP WOOP!
The Flying Men haven't been the most helpful actually, 2 are already dead. I'm basically gonna beat Magicant and then be done for the day. It would've been a lot more helpful if you guys would have used the correct terms, but I'm glad the NPCs technically spoiled it before you guys.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
The Flying Men haven't been the most helpful actually, 2 are already dead. I'm basically gonna beat Magicant and then be done for the day. It would've been a lot more helpful if you guys would have used the correct terms, but I'm glad the NPCs technically spoiled it before you guys.
Sorry! But I think there's something cool about experiencing the unknown and getting to this really awesome place without us telling you about it. Feels somehow just that little bit more special, just that little bit more magical. :D

And yeah, the flying men aren't so helpful, but they're cute to have along, and you feel really cool in smash 3DS when they pop up on the magicant stage (and understand why only 5 appear each game).

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sorry! But I think there's something cool about experiencing the unknown and getting to this really awesome place without us telling you about it. Feels somehow just that little bit more special, just that little bit more magical. :D

And yeah, the flying men aren't so helpful, but they're cute to have along, and you feel really cool in smash 3DS when they pop up on the magicant stage (and understand why only 5 appear each game).
Agreed. Their dialogue when you first recruit each one is funny too. Can we get the music that plays when you get them in Smash though? Please?

Also, it's Magicant. Just the name and first 5 minutes of being there (minus the last few seconds of those 5 minutes when I may or may not have run into one of those stupid flipping dice) was "magic" enough. :)

There will (probably) be only one more question I ask you guys, since I do want to complete most of the rest of this by myself. But, I'll save that question for when I need to ask it. It's possible I'll need to ask more, but I'm going to try to keep it to a minimum and only update you guys on my progress instead of ask for help.

Oh ya! I completely forgot! I might have been able to persuade my sister to play through EarthBound (with my help of course) once I beat it!

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Agreed. Their dialogue when you first recruit each one is funny too. Can we get the music that plays when you get them in Smash though? Please?

Also, it's Magicant. Just the name and first 5 minutes of being there (minus the last few seconds of those 5 minutes when I may or may not have run into one of those stupid flipping dice) was "magic" enough. :)

There will (probably) be only one more question I ask you guys, since I do want to complete most of the rest of this by myself. But, I'll save that question for when I need to ask it. It's possible I'll need to ask more, but I'm going to try to keep it to a minimum and only update you guys on my progress instead of ask for help.
Smash's Magicant theme is taken from Mother 1/EB beginnings, so look forward to hearing it then! It's done really well by the way, there are honestly some parts of the NES version that I prefer over the remix (although as a whole Smash's remix is bloody phenomenal with its spine-tingling version of the eight melodies). That'll be really exciting to hear you go through, although I'm really happy hearing your progress through EB, it's great. <3

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Smash's Magicant theme is taken from Mother 1/EB beginnings, so look forward to hearing it then! It's done really well by the way, there are honestly some parts of the NES version that I prefer over the remix (although as a whole Smash's remix is bloody phenomenal with its spine-tingling version of the eight melodies). That'll be really exciting to hear you go through, although I'm really happy hearing your progress through EB, it's great. <3
Lol ya. Hopefully she doesn't rage quit because you have to grind so much at the beginning. And if she does I can always just take over that save file. If she does try to go through it though, you guys will be getting updates on both her progress in her first play-through, as well as my progress in my first EarthBound Beginnings play-through!

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well, I just reached Mt. Itoi and am planning on taking it on tomorrow. Ninten is 31, Ana is 27, Teddy is 19, and Loid is 30 (even though he was replaced by Teddy). My current plan is: 4th-D Slip, Guard, and Run when I get out of the caves. Hey, I only got one game over so far (bloody Dragon), and I don't intend on getting any more.

So yeah, I'm running from everything that could kill me. Until I get to the healer's house and am able to use Super Bombs again.

Last edited:

AwkwardNess

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Awkw4rdAss4ssin

I don't think anyone answered your Praying question. I believe Praying with Paula does have a chance of reviving all your allies if you get something like "A rainbow light shone into the area!" Problem is, I believe this also revives all the enemies that you've defeated in the current battle...
Also, I remember that you can buy Cups of Lifenoodles for dirt cheap at some stores later on, so you might want to stock up on those if you're struggling to keep party members alive.
EDIT: Yes, I've verified this to be sure.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I don't think anyone answered your Praying question. I believe Praying with Paula does have a chance of reviving all your allies if you get something like "A rainbow light shone into the area!" Problem is, I believe this also revives all the enemies that you've defeated in the current battle...
Also, I remember that you can buy Cups of Lifenoodles for dirt cheap at some stores later on, so you might want to stock up on those if you're struggling to keep party members alive.
EDIT: Yes, I've verified this to be sure.
Way too late, but thanks for the advice.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Beat Ness' Nightmare after several daggum tries. Looks like I'm heading to Onett first thing tomorrow.

@ Earthbound360 Earthbound360 @ Luco Luco , that stat boost was HUGE! I feel VERY powerful now! (Lol). But, I know Giygas will be no joke. I think I'm going to grind for a while, to get everyone near the top level so I'll be somewhat prepared for the final battle.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm an intern for Escargot Express's Neglected Class.
LOL! Don't worry, it's still useful advice.

I'm grinding in Onett right now. Those Ghost of Starmen usually almost kill Paula and Jeff, but I use PSI Starstorm and PSI Special (most powerful form) to win before they die off. It's quite useful actually, since the only other enemy that gives a ton of exp. are the Mastermind Criminal...Caterpillars I think? Maybe it's worms, I dunno. But even grinding like this, it may take me a few days to reach level 99 for everyone...

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
LOL! Don't worry, it's still useful advice.

I'm grinding in Onett right now. Those Ghost of Starmen usually almost kill Paula and Jeff, but I use PSI Starstorm and PSI Special (most powerful form) to win before they die off. It's quite useful actually, since the only other enemy that gives a ton of exp. are the Mastermind Criminal..Caterpillars I think? Maybe it's worms, I dunno. But even grinding like this, it may take me a few days to reach level 99 for everyone...
Why not have Paula deploy PSI Shield Sigma or Omega? It's what I did when I went through Onett. Then again, Paula doesn't always go before the Ghosts of Starmen though...

A few days of grinding? I am fairly patient myself in my opinion, but I would die of boredom if I had to go through days of grinding before challenging Giygas.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Why not have Paula deploy PSI Shield Sigma or Omega? It's what I did when I went through Onett. Then again, Paula doesn't always go before the Ghosts of Starmen though...

A few days of grinding? I am fairly patient myself in my opinion, but I would die of boredom if I had to go through days of grinding before challenging Giygas.
I probably will too. I mean, I'm THAT close and yet I'm forcing myself to continue the game in an unnessacary way. But, I did want to complete most of the game 100% (other than getting Jeff and Poo's ultimate weapons). And, it just means I'm that much more powerful/prepared for Giygas when I go after him. Besides...I've only got around 20 levels left for whichever of my characters has the least levels...

Ya, I'm screwed (and crazy). :p

Wish me luck. Hopefully I'll have everyone leveled up by the end of tomorrow, so I can challenge Giygas...

Last edited:

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Grinding way too much is how I deal with any RPG. My pokemans are usually like at least 15 levels higher than a gym leader's when I finally face them.

Also if play WoW and/or D3 then like I do then you have be good at grinding/farming otherwise you won't be doing too well in either of those games.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Up bright and early to try to get this grinding done, even though I probably won't start for a while. DOING!

After careful consideration, I think I'll just go after Giygas once I get everyone past level 80. This is quite boring...

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
At long last, I'm going after Giygas.

Ness = 95

Paula = 84

Jeff = 82

Poo = 82

Watch out Giygas, here I come!

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
At long last, I'm going after Giygas.

Ness = 95

Paula = 84

Jeff = 82

Poo = 82

Watch out Giygas, here I come!
Yo level will not help you against Giygas, mah boi. Only believe in yourself. And in the game itself.
That reminds me, Earthbound has some devilish Anti-Piracy mechanisms XD
Anyone sees what I'm talking about ?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well guys, I did it. I finally beat EarthBound!

But...now I've got this "THE END... ?" message stuck on my screen...do I turn off my console now?

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Well guys, I did it. I finally beat EarthBound!

But...now I've got this "THE END... ?" message stuck on my screen...do I turn off my console now?
Wooo!

And yep, pretty sure you can switch the game off if you've already had the epilogue of the front door knock. AWESOME STUFF!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wooo!

And yep, pretty sure you can switch the game off if you've already had the epilogue of the front door knock. AWESOME STUFF!
Thanks for all your help guys! Couldn't have done it without your guys' help!

Looks like I'm going to be trying to beat EarthBound Beginnings next...Who wants to help me again?!?!?! Lol.

Again, a big thanks to everyone! You guys all made the experience that much more enjoyable!

:ness:

One more thing. I just went back into the game and got the same "THE END... ?" message again. Do I have to hit the reset button to go back into the Save File select screen and restart my entire adventure again???

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
At long last, I got a Ness amiibo!
Hey, don't be taking my spotlight! Lol, just kidding. Congrats.

Can somebody please answer my question in my above message? I really don't want to screw up that save file now that I've beaten the game...

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey, don't be taking my spotlight! Lol, just kidding. Congrats.

Can somebody please answer my question in my above message? I really don't want to screw up that save file now that I've beaten the game...
Once you turn off the game, you have to go from your last save point, presumably the Saturn robot in the CotP. It means you can finish the game as many times as you want, but you have toget through Giygas to do it. So yes, you can turn off the game. :p

Also, here's something for you, for next time you finish it:

First of all, here's a little treat. By now you've probably realised much of what Earthbound does parodies western societies and takes from popular American culture in some way. Well here's something you probably didn't expect. Remember the first time you walked into the cave of the past... In the future? It should have sounded like this:

Well, listen to the first few seconds of this:

And that's not where it ends. The next time you visit the Cave of the Past you get this:

Which you should recognise from the first couple seconds of this famous song!

As you can see, they take them and mix with them a heck of a lot, but I think they're brilliant references.

The other big one now!

Basically, half of like everyone in EB's world has different dialogue after you beat the game. While you're walking Paula around, or even just by yourself, go to a random bunch of places and start talking topeople and you'll really be able to understand one of the biggest messages behind this game (Ithink notable examples are the man in the business suit in Onett who says "you used to look a lot more helpless." and Mom's letter, where she is barely able to remember what you've been doing but the obvious point is she really cares about you, and has been noticing that, well, you're beginning to grow up now. These are the things that make Earthbound deep as well as strange, and you come to form a loving relationship with it. I keep finding new bits of dialogue every time I finish the game, there's a lot of people you can speak to, including your own team-mates (try showing Tony's letter to Jeff)! Places with sinister music suddenly have 'because I love you playing' OR, something you'll notice when you actually physically walk Paula home, the river area between saturn valley and threed is basically just ambience - a river flowing by, birds singing, it's pretty beautiful.

So yeah, explore the world post-game and see what you get, I think you'll really like it.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Once you turn off the game, you have to go from your last save point, presumably the Saturn robot in the CotP. It means you can finish the game as many times as you want, but you have toget through Giygas to do it. So yes, you can turn off the game. :p

Also, here's something for you, for next time you finish it:

First of all, here's a little treat. By now you've probably realised much of what Earthbound does parodies western societies and takes from popular American culture in some way. Well here's something you probably didn't expect. Remember the first time you walked into the cave of the past... In the future? It should have sounded like this:

Well, listen to the first few seconds of this:

And that's not where it ends. The next time you visit the Cave of the Past you get this:

Which you should recognise from the first couple seconds of this famous song!

As you can see, they take them and mix with them a heck of a lot, but I think they're brilliant references.

The other big one now!

Basically, half of like everyone in EB's world has different dialogue after you beat the game. While you're walking Paula around, or even just by yourself, go to a random bunch of places and start talking topeople and you'll really be able to understand one of the biggest messages behind this game (Ithink notable examples are the man in the business suit in Onett who says "you used to look a lot more helpless." and Mom's letter, where she is barely able to remember what you've been doing but the obvious point is she really cares about you, and has been noticing that, well, you're beginning to grow up now. These are the things that make Earthbound deep as well as strange, and you come to form a loving relationship with it. I keep finding new bits of dialogue every time I finish the game, there's a lot of people you can speak to, including your own team-mates (try showing Tony's letter to Jeff)! Places with sinister music suddenly have 'because I love you playing' OR, something you'll notice when you actually physically walk Paula home, the river area between saturn valley and threed is basically just ambience - a river flowing by, birds singing, it's pretty beautiful.

So yeah, explore the world post-game and see what you get, I think you'll really like it.
But, I can't go back to the Save File Select screen?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Not from 'the end...?' screen I'm pretty sure. You have to turn it off and back on.
OK, thanks.

Strangely enough, that's what I did the first time and it took me right back to the "THE END... ?" screen, but it worked this time. Oh well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom